Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe
The most intensely fine line walking happening on the BBC that I've ever seen.

There's going to be months of this :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe
Bloody hell folks.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

drat if the UK was a movie protagonist this would definitely be the rock bottom moment. Not been the best few last years for you guys. Also props for Charles for going with his name at the least. I hope he doesn't tone down the weirdness.

Every time I think it can't get worse, it does, since 2010. Last couple of years have been a speed run

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can't believe this means what it says:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/energy-bills-support/energy-bills-support-factsheet-8-september-2022

I fixed my tariff in September 2021 for 2 years. If it DOES mean what it says, my annual electricity (based on last 12 months - my home is all electric) will reduce to around £375 or £31.25 per month (from £685pa /£57pm) even with the standing charge almost doubling (I fixed at 24.95p pday inc VAT). I'm sure what they really mean is if your fixed tariff comes to more than the new rate, then they'll reduce it to that and they're using this supposedly 'standard household' milarkey to arrive at this figure.

So many people running up bills of over £2500 are going to have a shock because the way everything is being presented is that £2500 is the max you'll have to pay instead of making it clear it's for the mythical 'standard household' again. Unless they really DO mean no one pays more than £2500 so people will have their heating on full pelt 24/7 and every light in the house on 24/7 plus saunas, hot tubs on their verandahs etc.

Personally, I think it's sloppy, hastily pushed out wording. Of course, I may be wrong.

Ed: it is so difficult to find out what the actual per kWh rates are especially for Economy 7!

That's atrociously worded. There can't be any way that they are applying a 17p/kWh discount to every existing fixed tariff surely. What a mess.

The cap communications have been awful too. Of course many are going to see "costs capped at £2500" and take it at face value, because it appears clear enough.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Hell yeah Scotland, gently caress the Banff & Buchan fishermen though

Cannot get my head around them being more royalist there than actual Deeside, or the perma-Tory border districts.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe
My local foodbank has just announced they are closing on Monday for the funeral.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

FWIW I've heard that the real reason a lot of foodbanks are closing is because the shops that supply them are closed.

I guess "we're closed because all the shops that supply us are closed" seems more disrespectful than "we're closed out of respect for the Queen"

Which I guess makes sense along with potential childcare issues. It just boggles the mind that people are literally starving and have to suck it up because one of the richest people in the world died.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's like a week away or whatever, I'm sure they can go the day before or after?

Sorry, I should have clarified that they open on Mondays and Fridays and give out 3 day packages :smith: No alternative arrangements in place (so far. Hopefully some will transpire).

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Interested in their definition of "business regulations" because this sounds uhhhh :whitewater:

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

hey the day collar is back!

Did it go?! I haven't seen a recent photo of her without one

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Baconroll posted:

I wouldn't plan on your mobile working if theres a power-cut. From an ofcom report from 2019 - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/186413/Connected-Nations-2019-UK-final.pdf

"Both EE and Three have 6 hours or more of back-up power at around 3% of their sites. EE has a further 4% of sites which can continue
operating for five days or more during a power cut. The vast majority have no back-up power"

"Vodafone and O2 use a shared network, with each providing around half the total sites used for UK coverage. Of the sites which Vodafone
provides, which broadly speaking cover the west of England and Wales, around half have four hours of back-up power. The remaining Vodafone
sites have between 1 and 2 hours. O2 protects its hub sites, which account for about 5% of its total sites, with 4 hours of back-up power. Most of
its remaining sites have no protection, with an unspecified number of larger coverage sites having 10 minutes.
"

I lost power for several days after Arwen and it took the mobile signal with it instantly. I naively thought all masts would have back up, lol

Thank you thread for reminding me I need to get a proper radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

How dense do you have to be not to get the message when you're given that many massive glaring off ramps :cripes: