Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

This is upsetting me because it should be from a press photo for a really cool innovative musical artist like Lingua Ignota who mashes black metal with noise and industrial and maybe a little folk and prog. And then I look again and weep

I did another Truss that's less overtly scary but perhaps creepier.

also did Punished Corbyn:

Last pics I'll post for a while as I don't want to clog up the thread with endless AI art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

presumably wetherspoons and so on are being hit by these rises? Obviously more insulated but not immune

apparently wetherspoons have 900 pubs? Put in a conservative 50k energy price increase per pub.

900 x 50k is 45million?

am I being dumb? 45million sounds like a lot for wetherspoons to soak up given all the other stuff and I reckon most of their pubs could be seeing twice that increase.

My brother works for one of the large pub chains (not Wetherspoons) and I was chatting about it with him the other week. His chain has negotiated a blanket deal with an energy company for fixed rates specifically to keep them all open, though their energy bill is going from 8% of their expenditure to about 20% in the process.

So it's small one location businesses with no negotiating power that are going to be really shafted here.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Let's loving goooooooooooooooo

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao imagine travelling back in time and telling this thread liz truss would be pm

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

If your social media is completely anonymous then whatever. But if its even slightly possible to link it to your real identity I wouldn't.

We forget in our little echo chamber that some people really REALLY loving love the queen. And people getting turned down for jobs or even fired for making jokes at her passing probably will happen.

even i'm staying away from news crews this time

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1567854950411284490?t=YSmuFUCWofhpkUUXJDEszQ&s=19

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ash Crimson posted:

haha this is incredible

sadly it's parody

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Turn on the bbc if you want to see a plane full of royals pancake into the runway as they land in heavy fog.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

the bbc just called the queen's death "unimaginable"

seems pretty loving imaginable to me

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pleasant Friend posted:

Gorbachev and Queen Elizabeth dead, Henry Kissinger is the winner. The last Highlander.

not until Chomsky goes

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DAY COLLAR ALERT

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OrthoTrot posted:

The RMT calling off strikes with a fawning statement is also just ridiculously undemocratic on the part of the bureaucratic morons who run it. RMT has policy passed at AGM in favour of republicanism, which democratically supersedes any tactical "boxing clever" considerations Lynch and Dempsey have dreamed up.

Also, are the bosses stopping their pay freeze "out of respect"? Are they stopping their job cuts "out of respect"?

No? Funny that.

do you want to be correct or do you want these strikes to have a positive outcome?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Splatlands knows where it's at

https://twitter.com/PixelHunted/status/1568318140894875648?s=20&t=3r6MqC7sTsTyxXjvzqfEJw

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

I would have to agree. I dislike the monarchy as a concept, but I think QEII was the least poo poo incarnation of that poisonous concept, and she had her benefits. She liked a good gin buzz, she had cute dogs, and she'd say nice things when nice things needed saying. But she's gone now, and I can well imagine her saying "this is all a bit ridiculous, don't you think?" She had the sense of humour to do skits with Paddington Bear and James Bond; I think she would find all this completely insane and slightly revolting, and the charitable part of me thinks Charles probably does too but he's too big a bitch to actually say anything about it.

The royal family pr department has done a number on you buddy

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Scientastic posted:

What do you think happens to the mouse after you release it into the wild?

I've heard they head west and have adventures.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is it a good thing to be paid in dollars right now?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Yes? Right now anyway, if your wage was fixed a few months ago at least.

I'm getting a couple of grand paid to me in dollars in two weeks.

Huh, is this a taste of what it feels like to be a city wanker...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/SaddestRobots/status/1575499334673498112?t=iDLPQLAe2Gw0kvjQ_M_HOA&s=19

Lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've invested in thermal onesies and they're pretty cosy.

I do feel like a big man baby in them though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Look at these two Rockafellers who can afford kettles and thermos.
FOOLS

ooooo link?
Was thinking of just getting something similar.

Here you go: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283287387502

seems to retain a lot of heat if you wear it underneath regular clothes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hey the day collar is back!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Watching that speech made me feel a visceral hatred that feels unhealthy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Random tax question. If you have a primary job on PAYE and a secondary job you're submitting tax returns for and getting taxed a higher rate for that, what happens when earnings from the secondary job overtake the primary one?

Does HMRC just tax the primary job more or do you have to let them know to switch it?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao he's out.

BBC repeatedly saying that Truss and Kwarteng were "attached at the hip".

you don't say

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 14, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Someone left a handbag with a bunch of passports in it hung on our front door this morning. Do I drop it off at a post office or something?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

police station probably more useful

I'm in London, I don't trust the met not to pinch them and use them to commit id fraud.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don't passports have addresses in them?

I'll check when I get home, gone to work now. The only thing I can think of it is that someone dropped it outside the house then someone else assumed it must have been a person who lived here.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone's curious about that bag of passports that was left on my front door yesterday I've spoken to a few embassies and am going to cycle round London dropping them off at various places today.

Kind of ominously they're all passports for African women from various countries.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Yeah this kinda stinks of modern slavery? Did you contact the police?

Do I really want to send the police/home office out for women who may not be in the country legally?

The embassies said they'd take the passports and look into it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lord of the Llamas posted:

How many passports was it? You said it was people from multiple countries so it's hard to see how dividing up the passports between their embassies could form a coherent investigation. I think* that this would fall under the purview of the National Crime Agency not the met... My concern would be that embassies aren't interested in investigating what's potentially a serious crime in any great detail.

* not an expert.

Five: three South African, one from Ghana, and another from Nigeria.

Also some Airpods and perfume.

I think I've now actually tracked down one of the women on LinkedIn who said she was working at a Pizza Hut near London, but I've called all the branches it could be and they don't know the name.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

Am I remembering right that you're some kind of journalist? Is there a chance that someone knew that about you and left the bag there so you'd investigate? It kind of seems like the opening scenes of a depressing neo-noir.

I do law touching and journalism, but I just write (surprisingly lucrative) articles about Star Wars these days.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jedit posted:

It's 100% a trafficking operation, and you need to face the very real possibility that the passports were intended to go to one of your neighbours. Watch yourself.

Oh bollocks to it, I'll drop them off at a police station rather than the embassies if people think that's best.

Suspect the Airpods will go straight into some cop's pocket but this can be the Met's problem.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Honestly just record a video of what you are dropping off to the cops before you do so.

And it sounds to me like the best move to make.

You don't want to have to be in court explaining "Yes I did take these passports and bring them to a number of different embassy's around London myself. No, I wasn't working with any people smugglers. No, I didn't bring them to the police because I do not trust them."

Well it's out of my hands now. I dropped them off, gave my contact details, and they said they'd look into it. Honestly the whole thing has left me nervous and a bit queasy so I hope I never hear about it again.

If I randomly stop posting this will probably be why.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comstar posted:

Anyone got another link to watch the shortest lasting PM in history?

Sadly could only find the Scum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjem_mbBYUc

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fuctifino posted:

HERE SHE COMES!

THERE SHE GOES!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LETTUCE WINS

FLAWLESS VICTORY

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm-RE95lKJ0

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I can't imagine any future government could top the amazing horizons of failure that we're exploring with this lot.

said an increasingly nervous UK for the fifth time

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCtwYZAlN9Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005