Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

drat. Really wanted Rex back.

I'm fine with Rex being Jim Harbaugh's DC with the Jets in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Wow, returning to a team you head coached for in a lesser role. How often does that happen?

I'm sure there are other examples, but Gunther Cunningham in KC for a couple of years. He was following Marty up as HC which is an impossible job, so this was always going to happen, but this was not a convivial parting of ways.

quote:

After the Chiefs regressed to 7-9 a year later, Cunningham was fired and replaced by Dick Vermeil. The move was controversial at the time as Cunningham claimed he was never informed by management that he was to be fired and only found out about it after discovering the article regarding his termination on the Chiefs website after he showed up to work one morning.

Take that with a grain of salt because Gunny wasn't the most honest guy in the world. But anyway he eventually came back a few years later as DC under Dick Vermeil and then was kept on by Herm Edwards until they both got fired.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
If the Matt Patricia interview was designed to make Bronco fans feel better about hiring Joseph, it worked on me

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Joseph wasn’t a bad DC. Seems like a good hire, outside of the weirdness of bringing him back to Denver.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's almost an entirely different front office from when Vance was there last, no? Different ownership and GM at least. I know Elway is still kicking around as a consultant

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Also, no Rex back in the NFL! :sad:

:yeah:

Also, drat, now we have to hope another team is dumb enough to get Patricia out of Foxboro. Cause you know Belichick will keep him around to poo poo up some area of the team if he doesn't land other work

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Obviously.

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1628833954739458053?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Expected

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1628874548983607305?t=y8FlpfVFBkUW2MwAzFP87g&s=19

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

i'm sure this will go well!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Payton is making some interesting staffing decisions.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

My brain flipped him for Joshua Dobbs and I was wondering what Payton's obsession with rocket scientists was.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Sataere posted:

My brain flipped him for Joshua Dobbs and I was wondering what Payton's obsession with rocket scientists was.

He wants to engineer a QB with a rocket arm obviously.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/GM_ReShuffle/status/1628880695362785284

lol our boy mike HATES rex ryan.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Rex sucks so good for mike

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Come to Philly, Rex, nostalgia for your dad will guarantee you a year of excuses

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Wow, returning to a team you head coached for in a lesser role. How often does that happen?

Also, no Rex back in the NFL! :sad:

Ironically, it's the second time it's happened with the Broncos! Wade Phillips was their head coach for the 93 and 94 seasons (Having been their DC for the previous 4 years under Dan Reeves), and then infamously came back as DC in 2015 under Gary Kubiak.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1628755115925467137?s=20

This seems like a really interesting addition if it happens.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Love the pep

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

fartknocker posted:

Ironically, it's the second time it's happened with the Broncos! Wade Phillips was their head coach for the 93 and 94 seasons (Having been their DC for the previous 4 years under Dan Reeves), and then infamously came back as DC in 2015 under Gary Kubiak.

Broncos Super Bowl bound...?

let's ride

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Lombardi is usually wrong and also a total shitbird whose head is way up his own rear end.

Course, broken clock etc

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kind of interesting.

https://twitter.com/fo_aschatz/status/1628873824639778819?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/Chiefs/status/1629222347767967745

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Expected I guess. I don't have much of an opinion as long as he's kept well away from the kicker.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

i still remember justin fields first game and i dont know of any possible thing matt nagy could do to cleanse me of that awful, awful coaching malpractice

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I mean Andy's not going to let him do anything to the offense he disapproves of (or maybe anything significant at all), so, whatever. Just like it doesn't matter at all who is nominally doing defense and special teams for the Pats. Somehow the coordinators keep leaving yet they do just fine :thunk:

The interesting bit of that story is what happens with Bieniemy in Washington

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
What notable spots are still left? Any?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Woozie66 posted:

What notable spots are still left? Any?

Browns are currently without a QB coach or a DBs coach. Colts are without an OC, OL coach or ST coordinator. Denver doesn't have an OC, but we know Payton's gonna be calling the plays. Chiefs don't have a QB coach in the wake of Nagy's promotion. Eagles still haven't filled their OC or DC vacancies. Detroit doesn't have a DL coach. Falcons have QB, DL and DB vacancies. Arizona doesn't have a WR or RB coach. Rams have an RB coach opening. San Francisco has a DB coach opening.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Eagles still need an OC right? Likely need to refill the entire staff after both coordinators and their poaching.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

*checks patriots.com* Patricia and Judge are still listed prominently. Can they be replaced by like, anyone at all? Kalli, ShimJam, you busy?

I also can't stop looking at Troy Brown's 19 years of coaching experience. I love Troy, so whatever, but he didn't even retire as a player for several years past that mark and started his coaching career like 2 years ago :confused:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
P sure eagles are hiring from inside for OC. Who knows with the DC but I suspect that'll be another promotion too. For better or worse.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

troy brown or his patriots.com guardian considers his work with a youth football camp for 10 years (not running it) to be coaching experience, as well as the couple of years he spent gaining experience in the nfl diversity coaching fellowship which is quite reasonable considering the number of gatorade guys who are 'legit' assistant assistant coaches for 3-5 years

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 25, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I also can't stop looking at Troy Brown's 19 years of coaching experience. I love Troy, so whatever, but he didn't even retire as a player for several years past that mark and started his coaching career like 2 years ago :confused:

That's gotta be a site-error, yeah

Wiki posted:

At the beginning of the 2019 NFL season, he began coaching in an unofficial capacity with the New England Patriots, assisting wide receivers coach Joe Judge, who was often busy with his other role as special teams coordinator.[17] In addition in 2016 he was a part of the Bill Walsh Minority Coaching Fellowship working with the Patriots.[18]

In 2020 it was officially announced that Brown was on the Patriots coaching staff. He would be serving as the teams running backs/kick returners coach.[19]

In 2021, Brown was announced as the wide receivers/kick returners coach.[20]

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Peter King is saying the Raiders want to draft a QB rather than go after a vet, which has also been reported elsewhere.

quote:

The Bears have the first overall pick in 2023. There are four quarterbacks likely to go in the first half of the first round, and four teams with major quarterback needs in the top nine: Houston (two), Indianapolis (four), Las Vegas (seven) and Carolina (nine). I hear—though it might be smoke—that none of the four wants to scotch-tape a veteran like 39-year-old Aaron Rodgers and probably not Derek Carr. So the Bears, if they’re not going to use the first pick on a quarterback, could get rich quick by using quarterback desperation against these four teams.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1630230184036016132?t=z4SDDEZm_DDWgVaLX-5znw&s=19

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Diva Cupcake posted:

Peter King is saying the Raiders want to draft a QB rather than go after a vet, which has also been reported elsewhere.

That solves the mystery of where Anthony Richardson is landing, then

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

xbilkis posted:

That solves the mystery of where Anthony Richardson is landing, then

if al were still alive yes, but the modern raiders don't even draft interesting busts, they just draft dustmen

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Alaois posted:

if al were still alive yes, but the modern raiders don't even draft interesting busts, they just draft dustmen

It’s Josh McDaniels and Florida QB who projects better as a tight end…

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

McDaniels brought his buddy from New England to be the gm so inexplicable, terrible picks are back in the menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anthony Richardson throwing a TD to beat the Browns in OT during the Wild Card