Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The article didn't draw any parallels with the Iowa turret explosion fiasco, so I'll go ahead and do it here. It's almost like the Nav has a pattern of behavior where they find one blueshirt they can pin a disaster on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is it a technical now

Nah- Technicals are non military/NTV converted with weapons.

I have some TBI, luckily it's relatively minor for the amount of head injuries I've collected. That video is horrifying

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Do drones have enough of a heat signature for a stinger to lock onto?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yes. So does ww2 prop planes. Modern seekers can lock on most anything not ambient temp with a bit of help

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yes. So does ww2 prop planes. Modern seekers can lock on most anything not ambient temp with a bit of help

Can they get a lock on yo momma?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TheWeedNumber posted:

Nah, she frigid.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TheWeedNumber posted:

don't need a lock to hit a target that big

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

.... Actual justice?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

.... Actual justice?

Actual justice would see actual consequences for the entire chain of command that enabled and encouraged the absolute poo poo safety culture on the ship.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Actual justice would see actual consequences for the entire chain of command that enabled and encouraged the absolute poo poo safety culture on the ship.

That's true, but at least that poor sailor won't spend any more time in the brig, doesn't face Leavenworth, and once he's discharged, won't have a record that kills his prospects.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

New SHORAD vehicle apparently in trials for the US military as a drone killer. 30mm chain gun, box of stingers, and a radar on an MRAP.

Aren't MRAPs already prone to rolling?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Aren't MRAPs already prone to rolling?

Yeah. From wikipedia:

A report dated 13 June 2008 by the 'Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned' indicated concerns about MRAP vehicles rolling over in combat zones. The V-shaped hulls of the MRAP give it a higher center of gravity, and the weight of the MRAP can cause the badly built or poorly maintained roads in rural Iraq or Afghanistan to collapse. Of the 66 MRAP accidents between 7 November 2007 and 8 June 2008, almost 40 were due to rollovers caused by bad roads, weak bridges, or driver error. In many of the rollovers, troops were injured. However, in two separate incidents, five soldiers were killed by rolling over into a canal, thereby becoming trapped underwater with no means of escape. The report said 75% of all rollovers occurred in rural areas, often where roads had been built above grade with an adjacent ditch or canal.

The report also raised concerns associated with MRAP vehicles snagging on low-hanging power lines in Iraq or its antennas getting close enough to create an electric arc, which may lead to the electrocution of the passengers. The person located in the gunner's hatch is at the highest risk.[67][70]

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is that true of M-ATVs (the type in the pic) though? S4s and other support types in Stryker Brigades use those, I felt way safer in a rollover situation in one of those than I ever did in a humvee or Stryker. It also has functional seatbelts that you can actually use while wearing body armor.

Edit: it's not clear in the pic but M-ATVs are quite a bit different in shape and size than the much larger MRAPs that came before it

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mustang posted:

Is that true of M-ATVs (the type in the pic) though? S4s and other support types in Stryker Brigades use those, I felt way safer in a rollover situation in one of those than I ever did in a humvee or Stryker. It also has functional seatbelts that you can actually use while wearing body armor.

Edit: it's not clear in the pic but M-ATVs are quite a bit different in shape and size than the much larger MRAPs that came before it

I don’t believe it is. OshKosh won the MRAP contracts because the M-ATV was the most maneuverable and resistant to rollovers.

The early (circa 04) MRAPs, like the buffalo, were super bad. It is why for a long time they were relegated to route clearance/Trail Blazers duties. Once we start producing our own at scale the roll over rate dropped.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well, that's good. But that still seems like quite a lot of weight pretty high to keep that low rate of rollover gold star.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And same for logistics centering in Salt Lake City in the west, shame that the state is basically anti-fun.

The Wasatch Fault runs right through SLC, and is overdue for a 6.0+ quake. And the soil in the Salt Lake Valley is prone to liquifaction.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/09/us/deleo-barner-army-reenlist.html

quote:

On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Sarah E. Pitlyk of the Eastern District of Missouri sentenced that man, DeLeo Barner, now 60, to 100 hours of community service and a week of time served for the passport fraud uncovered in the investigation of the case, which was first reported by The Kansas City Star. As part of a plea deal, federal prosecutors dropped the more serious charge of identity theft.

After three years of service, during which he was stationed in Korea, he was discharged for “missing a readiness alert,” which barred him from re-enlisting. Mr. Barner returned, the documents say, to “a St. Louis that was even worse from the one he had left.” Within three weeks of being home, two of his friends were killed because of gun violence. “In desperation, he spoke with a military recruiter about how soon he could possibly rejoin,” Mr. Barner’s lawyer, Melissa K. Goymerac, wrote in a sentencing memo. Ms. Goymerac wrote that the recruiter advised him that it was going to take at least two years to petition to re-enlist, but that “there might be another way back in with someone else’s information.”

And so he did, vowing that “this time would be different.”

Mr. Barner enlisted under the name Joel Sanders, and earned a number of medals for his service, including one for good conduct, according to court documents. He received a medical discharge from the military in 1988 after a “botched” surgery, court documents show. Mr. Barner, who continued to live as Joel Sanders, went on to use his military experience to start a security business in Germany. Four of his six children still live in Berlin, none bearing his real name.

1980s Army Recruiter: I know you aren't allowed to reenlist, but tell me this, have you considered identity theft?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

CainFortea posted:

Well, that's good. But that still seems like quite a lot of weight pretty high to keep that low rate of rollover gold star.

It is top heavy, but in the case of a roll over I wasn't particularly worried about my own safety. It's probably the only military vehicle I've been in that the Army uses and has a functional seatbelt system. Strykers have seatbelts for passengers but you can't use them if you're wearing body armor. The risk of a rollover while standing out of the hatch of Stryker at night and moving through mountainous terrain regularly terrified me yet we field entire brigades with them.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I think I told the story of when I rolled an MRAP into a ditch on a muddy Afghan trail, it really just fell on it's side trying to make a turn. Knew it was gonna happen so we took the gun down and everything. That being said the MRAP ('09 International maxxpro) I drove and that M-ATV have similar widths of around 8 ft but the MRAP seems taller which is the issue. Looking it up the MRAP is like 10 ft while the M-ATV is 8.75 so maybe that is enough to make a difference. Not sure if that is including the turret or not though. When I was gunning there were definitely some bridges where I would straight up sit back in the truck because if the driver is off a couple inches we're rolling off this thing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

golden bubble posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/09/us/deleo-barner-army-reenlist.html

1980s Army Recruiter: I know you aren't allowed to reenlist, but tell me this, have you considered identity theft?

That's like an army version of The Contortionist's Handbook. Did he have a 6th finger on one hand, too?

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not starting the October thread, but if you're looking for a thread title you could do worse.

https://twitter.com/FJ_PORK/status/1575842907717877760?s=20

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Brought to you by Lizz Truss?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Madurai posted:

The article didn't draw any parallels with the Iowa turret explosion fiasco, so I'll go ahead and do it here. It's almost like the Nav has a pattern of behavior where they find one blueshirt they can pin a disaster on.

That case still blows my mind

NCIS "Uhhh, it was a :gay: lovers quarrel! Yeah that's it!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yay Mariners :toot:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I wonder how useful 6 point harness's would be for dudes in armor. I can tell you that they're nice when you're wrapped in Nomex.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

MA-Horus posted:

That fencing response is full on UFC head-kick knock-out level, holy gently caress

I got concussed a few years back playing rugby, head to head contact straight to my jaw. One of those hits you feel your entire jaw crunching shut on

Headaches, short term memory loss, balance and concentration issues. Told my doctor that I didn't rightfully know how many concussions I've had, between contact sports and artillery about 5-6? I've never had a healthcare provider tell me something more forcefully than that doctor told me to stop playing contact sports immediately and indefinitely

When I quit the rugby team one of the young 20yo kids told me "it's just a conky bro, I've had 4". Enjoy your liquid brain bro

Rugby likes to think of itself as the gentleman's game (or more precisely, "a thugs game played by gentleman, while soccer is a gentleman's game played by thugs") but the culture is toxic as gently caress. Not just around injuries but that's a thing too.

One of the guys from my last team died at a team party because he fell, hit his head, and they carried him upstairs to "sleep it off." I learned about this because an email blast went out asking anyone associated with the team to skip the funeral because there were some "hard feelings" with the family. Huh no poo poo.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Tua's dad did an interview where he admitted to whipping Tua with a belt when he threw interceptions. His mom seemed to be complicit with this lind of behavior. At 24 years old the person looking out for Tua's health the most is probably his agent or the Dolphins crooked medical staff

I am certain that a significant number of football parents heard that and said "wow that's dedication" in an admiring voice

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ASAPI posted:

That dude should not have been on the field. poo poo, he probably should have been forced into retirement.

If I had seen that game I would have been yelling at the TV. I don't understand how they will have someone out for a few weeks due to a sprained pinky toe or some poo poo while the guy with likely brain damage is cleared to go.

Just absolutely shocked the NFL would permanently wreck the livelihood of another black quarterback.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Pennthusiast/status/1575648700147245056

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Its some dumb rear end bullshit, op

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Again, they try to pwn someone and just make them sound cooler

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

dark fetterman owns

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

the election is between a literal giant who shrugged off a stroke to continue owning versus dr phil’s b-team

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

goatsestretchgoals posted:

the election is between a literal giant who shrugged off a stroke to continue owning versus dr phil’s b-team

Still five weeks to go. It ain't over til it's over.

That said, go for the jugular my man and don't stop til he ain't moving.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yay Mariners :toot:

Repping my Ms stuff all over Central PA tomorrow no doubt.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 1, 2022

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
forbidden october posting :ninja:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Spooky posting

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
:spooky: Always phone posting so I will never be the OP. Enjoying the special flavor of a soon-to-be-locked thread :rms:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Republicans continuing to do the "a vote for Bart is a vote for anarchy!" meme

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Arven posted:

Republicans continuing to do the "a vote for Bart is a vote for anarchy!" meme

It's their turn, I guess?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Still five weeks to go. It ain't over til it's over.

That said, go for the jugular my man and don't stop til he ain't moving.

Yeah there's a clear poll tightening as Republican voters are coming home to Oz on this crime poo poo and a nonstop Fox News blitz. But nobody's coming home to Mastriano as he's not even trying for anyone but hardcore chuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah there's a clear poll tightening as Republican voters are coming home to Oz on this crime poo poo and a nonstop Fox News blitz. But nobody's coming home to Mastriano as he's not even trying for anyone but hardcore chuds.

Senator Warnock is only polling 5 points ahead of a violent, incoherent, brain damaged football man. The GOP is insane.