Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

Not all of them are empty though, so I suspect there's more to it. We know Kushner got a ton of money from the Saudi's before they left office, wouldn't surprise me if there's a connection.

Kinda wonder what they’d even want that they didn’t already have. Already had infinite money, free hand to attack Yemen, able to murder American critics overseas with barely a peep, and could buy nearly any hardware they want. I guess secrets about Iran to help prevent any future nuke deals from going through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’m a Colton Harris fan myself. Stole planes and boats, broke into houses to steal food, ended up going from Washington to the Bahamas.

That baggage handler who stole a large plane from SeaTac airport and flew around a major city including a packed stadium for more than an hour before going into the water seems to have been pushed out of headlines fast. Not to get too :tinfoil: but probably don’t want to remind folk that an untrained guy could have a plane with little effort and we were lucky he wasn’t filled with rage. Or that a big part of his motivation was how he was being paid very low, as that airport has a reputation for screwing over workers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Pegasus being sold to whoever wanted it led to a lot of dead activists

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I wonder how scorched earth the editorial boards of major papers would have gotten in 2016 if Bernie got the nomination and had a huge lead in October. No way plutocrat owned papers would endorse him, it would have got weird with last second flailing Bloomberg write in candidacies

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's good that the people who started the cesspits were tossed overboard and/or banned from SA though.

Yeah I remember someone suggesting there be a hell day when all the permabanned posters were allowed back for 24 hours then someone pointed out it would mostly be SA Mart scammers

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamn scammers. I'm still waiting on my fiesta cat plushies.

I’ve had mostly good experiences but bought a game once and mailman somehow delivered it to wrong box so that was gone forever

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

Exceedingly high. The only reason its hung on the last 20 years is because of her personal popularity, nobody likes the other fucks.

Maybe but goons aren't the primary audience for all things monarchy. The Queen's funeral is gonna be a superbowl for those folk with non-stop parades, memorabilia, documentaries, the works. Then you have the coronation of the new King, boom that's another blockbuster.

Considering how many issues of People magazine get sold with covers that say "Remember Diana?" this train isn't gonna stop anytime soon. Fans don't necessarily like all the royal family and some I know are well aware Andrew is a monster, but it's like expecting the Marvel fandom to have universally refused to ever again watch Bryan Singer X-Men or Joss Whedon Avengers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

When her husband died a part of the mourning was making their rail service's website black and white. This immediately made it unusable for some folk with visual impairments, it's gonna be that sort of bad grieving decision making x100 for the queen.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

honestly that's not only more humane than what I had in mind, it's better than they deserve. gently caress, might actually make them useful too

Harry Truman was answering phones and training docents at his presidential museum

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Still amazed how it wasn’t for years after that it was revealed there was a code for extra characters. With the sheer number of players would have assumed someone would have taken it apart, or a developer would have leaked it.

Really dug Perfect Dark single player but in my experience multiplayer was only fun for folks who really knew the game, unlike goldeneye where a casual fan could figure out how to move and shoot, without having to worry about secondary fire modes or why everything was blurry (even when they respawned because of a glitch with how poisoning worked)

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 10, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Did anyone else play Timesplitters or am I rowing that boat alone?

For reference, the 2004ish Timesplitters. It had an interesting multiplayer deathmatch.

Oh yeah played a ton on a friend’s GameCube. Something about a monkey running around? It was a fun time. Also watched him play Eternal Darkness and the bathtub jump scare got us good.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoa! Question isn't if they nabbed a general, but how many were caught. Heck wouldn't rule out some members of the Duma or prominent bloggers who didn't get the memo to flee. 22 generals surrendered at Stalingrad, would be absurd if they got that beat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

They got ‘em, but every thing I’ve ever been taught about the profession of arms prevents me from saying they should smoke ‘em.

“‘Em” being Russian soldiers.

I look forward to the news of the peaceful, humane, and good treatment of a huge swath of surrendering Russians. Get that out to the world. Get that on Russian Facebook and TikTok, and YouTube. Make that accessible, and you’ll get 100X more surrenders for each prisoner you treat and care for humanely. That’s something their own drat Army can’t do, imagine the utility of being able to say “No worries Ivan, you surrender to us, you will be ok.” in this hosed up war with extremely hosed up, disaffected, malnourished, conscripted military? That’s pretty huge.

Go Ukraine! 🇺🇦

It was interesting to read how the thousands of Russians who surrendered during the Russo-Japanese War were treated by the Japanese with utmost care and courtesy with ample food, medical care, and even given Russian language magazines. I think this was because during that time Japan was prioritizing raising their stature to be on par with Western powers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Patriots having a normal one:

Appealing to the tradition of the founders by pleading with the king of England to save them

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jesus can't these people catch a break

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol :thurman:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The fact that they still have their phones and have not actively tried to physically destroy them is just comedy hour.

During a breaking bad rewatch it bugged me how characters like Gus or Mike who are shown as having top tier opsec dispose of incriminating flip phones by snapping them in half and throwing them in the trash without getting the SIM cards.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

kupachek posted:

A lot of older flip phones were CDMA, not GSM, so they didn't even have SIM cards.
I can't say when they were phased out entirely offhand, but when I got rid of my cell in 2009 CDMA models were still common and being sold new.

Ah I didn’t know that, my mistake.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

kupachek posted:

I wouldn't quite call it a mistake, but it's one of those things where it might not be an error. still a worthy detail catch.
Other than that, disposing of an item in a randomly chosen receptacle used to be a valid tactic before geofencing and ubiquitous presence of mounted cameras ramped up.

Kinda related, Strange New Worlds is excellent but in the second episode they’re trying to shock a flatline. Would have thought shows would have stopped doing that by now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

They still show CPR just being a thing you can resurrect people with. Nothing about the 5 broken ribs they're probably going to have and probably collapsed lung.

There used to be a fun blog by an Air Force doctor who primarily reviewed episodes of House for medical accuracy but he’d also bring up comics with terrible health errors, like Batman taking an emergency dose of homeopathic medicine, or Nightwing bandaging a wound over the costume. Wish I could remember the name of it, had a lot of fascinating posts.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Apparently an 18 year old hacker managed to break into Uber and is dumping their info:

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1570597582417821703?cxt=HHwWjoDQkcGL8csrAAAA

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1570605064003420160?cxt=HHwWgIDUpf--9MsrAAAA

Not a cyber expert but sounds like Uber's security was...not good.

The book Super Pumped is an excellent look at how sleazy Uber is, considering all the nonsense they’ve done out in the open wonder how bad the stuff they’ve kept quiet could be

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BadOptics posted:

The script with the Admin/password is dumb, but the main thing is that they, the hacker, was able to use social engineering to gain access; once you can get on an intranet and start escalating privileges then eventually you'll find something weak on a network. Basically the weak point, like everything in IT, was a person sitting in front of the computer.

Looking forward to the Darknet Diaries deep dive on this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lol someone pegged the billionaire Browns owner with a water bottle

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1572281744832827393

His Wikipedia is obviously professionally scrubbed, no mention of his net worth but lots about philanthropy and awards.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

welp, time to see if I can noclip into another reality. this one is bullshit.

That would be a spectacular Summoning Salt video

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Hopefully Matt Walsh is next. Trying to get doctors killed for giving care to trans kids.

A buddy works at Vanderbilt and staff aren’t thrilled about chances some loony decides to do a Comet Ping Pong attack

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

NJersey posted:

still waiting for the day I can listen to a comedians podcasts without having to skip the inevitable 15 minute rant about cancel culture every episode...

Pete Holmes never did that, unless a lot has changed in the 6 years since I stopped listening.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We had schemers in middle school plan to steal laptops and pawn them. They forgot pawn shops wishing to stay in business don’t touch laptops that have school info engraved on them that children have brought in.

When it was announced by a teacher in a class that the laptops were missing one of the suspects yelled “no they aren’t!” which made for an easy investigation, especially as the suspects’ claim of finding them “under a trash can” didn’t get far.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Cross-posting from the Civ Thread: Hugh Jackman is coming back for Deadpool 3.

Dang, was hoping he and Patrick Stewart were done after leaving on a dignified high note in Logan but oh right it’s Disney. Did not care for Dr. Strange bringing back Xavier to be brutally executed for… some plot reason.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The money cannon bullet never lies.

Hugh, being the nice guy that he seems to be, I'm guessing called Sir Patrick beforehand. I can hear him saying "They are paying you how much!?" before telling him to get after it.

On the positive side of the Disney juggernaut, they let the writer/director of Michael Clayton make a Star Wars show and Andor is good as hell.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

So Tua got obviously concussed on Sunday, passes whatever bullshit in-game concussion protocol they have, and comes back after missing a few drives and halftime. Ends up winning the game, the doctors and he say "oh, it was just my back that got hurt" and they shove him back in four days later. So it's *highly* likely yesterday's hyper-fencing response was a second impact concussion, not just a first. Automagically, the hospital discharged him today so he could fly back to Florida with the team.

Ugh yeah it was ridiculous seeing some people arguing that the totally independent NFL neurologist said it was fine and therefore what’s the problem? Sure millions of dollars in ad sales are at stake but that plays no part. Wonder if NFL neurology is as much of a scam as when NHL enforcer Derek Boogaard got painkillers prescribed by the team’s doctor, and also prescriptions from the other seven team doctors who wouldn’t you believe it didn’t talk to each other.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Good on you, though be ready to doggedly defend that position until the kids are out of school! I've got a cousin in the South who earnestly made the same commitment back when her son was 6, but, 'lo and behold, 10 years later he's on the team and taking hard tackles. The intellectual recognition of the risks associated with contact football just couldn't compete with the family being steeped in a local culture that not only downplays the risks, but subtly threatens ostracization of anyone who might express concerns.

Oh for sure, I have in law cousins who between football & excessive church are doing their best to have their kids learn as little as possible. When playing a board game with one of their 16 year old football kids took me a few minutes to realize he was nearly illiterate and yet still college bound a few years later.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ASAPI posted:

That is already happening. Over the years the NFL has been losing viewers. I know I watch way less than I used to.

I wonder how long the sport will hang on or if it will even be the same sport in the future.

I think it’s still insanely profitable and booming, although for growth it’s baffling how after the failure of NFL Europe some exec is still obsessed with putting games in England & Germany with three being played across the pond this year.

They’ve lost fans but not enough to be an existential threat. A retired Air Force colonel uncle stopped watching not because he cared about concussions but because of the non stop flag desecration/kneeling before each game that he heard about on his news sources of choice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

The ones with any power on the field are making millions from the status quo and fear that abiding by basic health and safety policies would threaten that.

Plus NFL owners are probably the worst plutocrats in organized sport, although I’m not familiar with Premier league so maybe that’s worse. Billionaires pushing collecting teams like vacation homes and you get weird stuff like the Seahawks passing from Paul Allen (a coworker’s spouse was working on his mega yacht when it rammed a protected coral reef) to his sister instead of someone who might care about the team.

Although it is fun how the fan owned packers release league financial revenue figures each year to the annoyance of every other team that would prefer to keep secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yay Mariners :toot: