Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I honestly want to see Dems adopt and subvert "Let's go, Brandon!". Can't heckle if supporters just start chanting the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The Queen of Canada was assaulted today, but her security detail kept the perp at bay.

https://twitter.com/VaxxersAnti/status/1565784811444531200?t=6o4z3L3ScDBjoFc47o0lng&s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can the crown not afford a custom built coach? What's this Winnebago poo poo?
Not while financing a militia that she's ordered to kill anyone providing vaccinations to children.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Plane guy already had enough.
https://twitter.com/supertalk/status/1566086538424983554?s=20&t=7dzz6HFWAOH6aHBV4vqWjA

Certainly has a stay in either prison or a psychiatric hospital ahead of him.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
KiwiFarms dude has effectively facilitated terrorism and murder for years. Lowtax did have one good idea that he could copy.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Bets on whether it's Israel, Iran, or North Korea?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Sorry to rain on the parade:
https://twitter.com/USGSVolcanoes/status/1567561979535196160

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Midjack posted:

I want to know who's been paying their hosting bills this whole time.
Not exactly a great source, but: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/two-decades-after-heavens-gate-10158830

quote:

What wasn’t is that in the days before the suicide, two group members were briefed about a side mission. They would remain on Earth – the last surviving members – and their job was to maintain the Heaven’s Gate website exactly as it was on the day the last suicides took place.

And for two decades, the lone Gaters have diligently continued their mission, answered queries, paid bills and dealt with problems.

While the pair refuse to give their identity, they are believed to be Mark and Sarah King, a couple in their sixties, from Arizona, who left the cult HQ in the late 80s and set up a company called the TELAH Foundation, which stands for The Evolutionary Level Above Human.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Wonder if I'll see a Space Force One in my lifetime.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I also never tested positive or showed symptoms. I'm pretty boring, though. Been back in the office full time for months, but still nada.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I'm anti-private school in general, but Jesus Christ...

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1570564562369540098?t=U-6vMpFAuYfELdrrQ-Lwmw&s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
So what's keeping some rear end in a top hat from exploiting gaps in the system to stock up their Christofascist militia's armory beyond poor OpSec leading to the Feds coming down on them?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

The federal government spent billions and billions of federal dollars to deal with "superstorm" sandy. They can pony up to fix coastal communities too.

If we want to actually deal with climate change, thats one thing. Simply choosing winners and losers out of those harmed by the consequences of our inaction is another. gently caress that poo poo.
It's not "picking winners and losers" to stop giving massive insurance subsidies to the most disaster prone areas. The practice has had the perverse consequence of encouraging more and more development in the areas most at risk of natural disaster. Development sprawling into extremely flood- and wildfire-prone areas is enabled by a political refusal to meaningfully factor in the extraordinary costs of rebuilding time after time after time. We're not just protecting the people who happened to find themselves living in risky spots, we're holding the bag while more and more assholes have moved into these areas. It's not sustainable—even if we could soak the rich until there's nothing left, spending that money on rebuilding mansions in a flooded swamp would be horribly misspent and one of the most asinine example of human hubris imaginable.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 29, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

That Works posted:

Probably just confirmation bias on my part then.
I'm pretty steeped in urbanist discourse, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that these truisms are anything but outside those circles. The following are frequently opined upon:

- Californian exurban sprawl into wildfire-prone areas
- Floridian exurban sprawl into flood-prone areas
- Las Vegan exurban sprawl into an area without the water table to sustain it

Las Vegas (and other sunbelt areas) are somewhat tangential, but adjacent enough to be worth calling out. The others have at their root the nasty problem of anti-density policies prohibiting new housing in existing built areas plus the nonsensical subsidies governments provide to disaster insurance—with the combined result of creating huge perverse incentives for flocks of people to buy homes in areas they wouldn't otherwise because the insurance cost would be prohibitive.

That Works posted:

Anyways I think we all agree its a huge problem but the "people shouldn't live in place X" arguments are tiresome every hurricane event when they get trotted out.
This is like saying it's annoying that voices clamoring for gun control is gross after a mass shooting or for police accountability after a cop committing murder. Like it or not, it's both natural and appropriate for folks to point at the latest consequences of our obviously bad policies in an exasperated attempt to open the eyes of those who are too busy living their lives and would otherwise not give a moment's thought to the shortcomings of the status quo.

Tampa:
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1575197709186711553?s=20&t=TXezgQubQORiategJqfpwQ

Cali:

Vegas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFzdyxwx50M

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

That Works posted:

So you're the guy at the funeral pointing out that we wouldn't be here today if X had laid off the potato chips eh.
lol, unironically yes, except this is more of a "lay off literally living in the Chick-fil-A deep fryer and raving about how it's others' responsibility to pay for the consequences". Too many people pay heated lip service to stopping and adapting to climate change, but balk like obstinate toddlers at the idea that their own lives might have to change, even if just as a downstream effect of reining in the worst polluters.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

So the fact that Tampa hasn't been hit in recorded history affects this how?

Like, Miami should probably be abandoned at this point, even tho it is actually gonna turn into dystopian Venice, but Tampa is pretty much an ideal insurable area.
I'm fine with that then, though I'm (baselessly) skeptical about the direction of things given climate change. If Tampa being impacted is truly anomalous and will remain so, then yanking the disaster insurance subsidies in higher risk areas like Miami would benefit Tampans (and everyone else).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

kupachek posted:

The parts of California where building tall and dense would provide the most good are also right along the fault lines.
Ehh, I think this is increasingly mitigated by modern engineering. New construction is resilient enough, provided, it's built to code. Might not matter in The Big One, but the risk is nothing like that of building on sand at sea level in a hurricane-prone area.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol what a sanctimonious clown you are. How many people do you think live in these flood prone areas that don't have the financial security to up and leave?
Assistance to those without the financial security to up and move, both in the firm of direct payments and in making homes cheaper in lower risk areas is something so basic I thought it didn't need saying :shrug:

On the latter, this is stuff that really needs movement at the federal level. The states are adopting a sclerotic and piecemeal approach at best or actively making things worse.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

stackofflapjacks posted:

I was just talking to my wife about how I'll never put any future kids in football even after playing and loving it growing up.
Good on you, though be ready to doggedly defend that position until the kids are out of school! I've got a cousin in the South who earnestly made the same commitment back when her son was 6, but, 'lo and behold, 10 years later he's on the team and taking hard tackles. The intellectual recognition of the risks associated with contact football just couldn't compete with the family being steeped in a local culture that not only downplays the risks, but subtly threatens ostracization of anyone who might express concerns.

Meanwhile, folks keep watching and the sport continues to get away with paying lip service to those it grinds up and spits out. Defenders come out waving maximalist strawmen in response to the slightest critique and accuse advocates for reform of wanting to hurt players from impoverished backgrounds.

poo poo, I'm getting the weirdest sense of deja vu.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 30, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

ASAPI posted:

I don't understand how they will have someone out for a few weeks due to a sprained pinky toe or some poo poo while the guy with likely brain damage is cleared to go.
Concussions aren't real.
And if they are real, the risk is overblown.
And if the risk isn't overblown, we have mechanisms in place to stop players going on the field with them.
And if the team has subverted the mechanisms, the fault lies with them alone.
And if there's evidence of a systemic problem, well, what are ya gonna do, stop watching the greatest sport on earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

Where are the adults in the room ffs
The ones with any power on the field are making millions from the status quo and fear that abiding by basic health and safety policies would threaten that.