Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

as suggested by ohtori akio in hw&c

do people line up to, er, congratulate you on your chili? post it here! we could all use a good chili recipe, or pics of chili you've eaten, or chili anecdotes. really anything chili goes.

I have been meaning to experiment with the cool new fake meats, I suspect they can make a pretty good chili given I've had great success with that stuff in shepherd's pie. but my recent chilis have been of the bean variety. I don't claim they are super fancy but I do have a stash of dried anchos and I'll rehydrate that and blend it up and it definitely adds something, as do chipotle peppers in adobo that lend a delicious smoky flavor. those plus some form of fresh pepper (usually red or maybe fresh poblano and/or a little bit of something hotter), along with regular and smoked paprika, sometimes a tbsp or two of prepared chili powder, and maybe a pinch of cayenne, makes me feel like I'm getting enough pepper variety and complexity, although I'm sure I can do better. I know the prepared chili powder is sus but it's very easy and I'm supplementing it with a ton of stuff!

at home in nyc I have other things, including a whole bunch of dried kashmiri chili powder from a recent trip to the indian supermarket plus flakes of turkish marash pepper which is wonderful and I sprinkle on lots of dishes. oh and the dried little red whole peppers you can find in the chinese market, tien tsin I guess?

aside from the capsicums my recipes are usually not super complicated: onion, garlic (fresh and also garlic powder), tomato product (canned is fine for this), veg stock if I have it, one or more variety of bean (been doing a lot of black beans this summer, often from dried, but I enjoy lots of different kinds singly or in combination). additional flavors include a lot of cumin, maybe some kind of green flakes (oregano is a good choice), some sort of vinegar, fresh ground black pepper at the end, if I'm cooking just for me a squirt of sriracha. a cheater ingredient I employ without shame is a couple of drops of liquid smoke, if used with restraint it's really pretty tasty imo.

it may take things a little further from the "chili" descriptor but I sometimes like to add chopped up squash (zucchini or yellow squash) towards the end of cooking, I feel like it's a more complete meal. other veggies you might have lying around will work as well. if I have cilantro or parsley I'll chop it up and throw it on top, and maybe garnish with some fresh avocado or crumbled feta if I'm trying to make the meal a little special. throw in an egg or two to poach in the chili at the end if you want more protein, not all that different from a shakshuka. overall it makes a really satisfying meal!

I know that's a kind of bog standard vegetarian chili. what've you got??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I like the chili in the can. I'm but a simple man.

Manifisto

Viginti Septem posted:

I like the chili in the can. I'm but a simple man.

which can tho?

ty nesamdoom!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

which can tho?

Bro, I'm a simple man. You expect me to know these things?

A 15oz #300 can. Any wrapper will do.

But serious, I kinda like turkey chili cause it's like 98% fat free. And I can dip things in it and enjoy it

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i used to make a pretty good turkey chili in the crock pot in college and it was good and simple and was just like a pound of ground turkey and a few cans of beans/tomatoes and some seasonings etc. but i don't have the recipe anymore apparently

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

im not real big on chili but i like a good white chili

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

cruft

Amy's Medium, in the green can, is pretty boss.

The hot, in the red can, isn't as good.

I recommend going with medium and then adding crush red pepper or your favorite hot sauce, to taste.

biosterous

https://biosterous.neocities.org/chili.html

this is SK's recipe, except for the celery because i often have celery that i need to use up

i might have made other changes but forgotten

i can never actually get serrano peppers at my usual grocery store so i add extra jalapeno and if they've got any good-smelling dried peppers i'll add those too

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

google THIS

I love me some white chicken chili, also traditional but especially white chicken

google THIS

Of course as an Ohioan I legally can't post in a chili thread without making it weird

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

im not real big on chili

I thought this was the chili forum :confused:

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I freakin love chili. thanks for the thread op :cheersdoge:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Areola Grande posted:

I thought this was the chili forum :confused:

Chiliing Spree

Manifisto

biosterous posted:

https://biosterous.neocities.org/chili.html

this is SK's recipe, except for the celery because i often have celery that i need to use up

i might have made other changes but forgotten

i can never actually get serrano peppers at my usual grocery store so i add extra jalapeno and if they've got any good-smelling dried peppers i'll add those too

I've got a pot of this using beyond beef simmering on the stovetop, it's tonight's dinner :yum:

no serranos, but I added dried/rehydrated/blended anchos and some chipotles in adobo and a bunch of cumin. the corn came from a couple of fresh cobs, not no steenkin' can!!

ty nesamdoom!

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

tbh the serrano is just because i had just learned about them when i wrote the recipe down and it was good. i'm generally pro-pepper

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Manifisto

trip report: the chili was delicious and after feeding two of us there are plenty of leftovers! the beyond beef worked pretty well I thought, it definitely eats like a meat chili. the baked beans definitely adds a note of sweetness but it wasn't too overwhelming and I enjoyed it. so thanks sk and bios for the recipe!

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

I'm not the biggest chili con carne fan. But maybe daal curry is almost like chili?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I like Cincinnati chili bc it's what my mom used to make on rough days and celebration days and so it twigs that part of my brain that's set aside for feeling comforted and cared for. Even when I just make it myself it hits those nurturing buttons and I don't care what anybody says I think it tastes really good too. A nice butternut squash chili is also great when it starts to get cold outside.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!