Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
This thread is for any particular hot takes you might have about food. Don't like a particularly popular food item? Post about it here. Do you think that certain recipes have too many steps and can be simplified? Post it here. Is something that is really popular overrated? Let us know!

Here's mine: lettuce in BLTs doesn't really matter. When it comes to a "BLT" the lettuce is typically there for texture more than anything because lettuce is a very mild flavor and as far as the texture goes, if you're making a good BLT and grill the bread then there's no real need for that crunchy texture anyway because the bread is toasted. But saying I like "BT's " sounds stupid I continue to call them "BLTs". The tomato is the Second most important component of a BLT anyway only coming after the bacon. Well I guess the bread's important too but my point is, who gives a gently caress about the lettuce. you may think it's important but try it without it. Your brain may even tell you afterwards that it's important but that's because you're wrong. Or at least that's my hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
You're right it's the least important component. But my lukewarm take is iceberg shrettuce is a net positive in lots of dishes. I just think it's neat

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sick of people saying how good shredded iceberg lettuce (shrettuce) is as a textural component. it sucks and should never be used and theres a bunch of superior substitutes if that 'crunch' is what you're looking for

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

this is less of a food take than it is an issue with sociology and the nature of how trends spread, but i am also very tired of 'food trends' where something will blow up (like shakshuka or shooter sandwiches) and suddenly everyone is releasing the same video/article/whatever. quit copying eachother

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

this is less of a food take than it is an issue with sociology and the nature of how trends spread, but i am also very tired of 'food trends' where something will blow up (like shakshuka or shooter sandwiches) and suddenly everyone is releasing the same video/article/whatever. quit copying eachother

Why do you hate Oklahoma onion burgers

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

Why do you hate Oklahoma onion burgers

That one is cool since the original motz vid about it is at least a couple years old to begin with, and then it's also just an offshoot of the smash burger stuff (Kenji has at least 5 vids about smash burgers at this point).

Man, I like smash burgers but it's a lot. Idk. I know why these people are slaves to the algorithm driven metrics, but when 4 vids and 2 articles about the same recipe pop up all at the same time it's dumb

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The tomato is the most important component of the BLT. Not the bacon. :colbert:

The lettuce helps deal with the inevitable runoff from the big juicy garden fresh tomato you just sliced and put directly onto your sandwich.

My hot take: leaving the last little joint of shell/tail on a shrimp and serving it in pasta/curry (or some other non-finger-friendly application) should be punishable by exile to Poo Land.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Borsche69 posted:

I don't think shrettuce was ever a trend, people just realized that arugula or spring mix on a sandwich sucks, and iceberg isn't the devil. A little shredded lettuce with shaved onions dressed with oil and vinegar is basically the finishing touch on a good sub, helps lighten things up. Maybe it's the verbiage you don't like?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Since when does arugula suck on a sandwich

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Avocado on sandwiches isn't good. Its mild flavor gets overwhelmed by everything else, and its texture is just sort of mushy and boring. Plus, I've never eaten a sandwich at a restaurant that contained avocado that was obviously seasoned; you can't expect the rest of the ingredients (even if they're salty, like bacon) to do the heavy lifting. It really needs salt to make it worth eating in any application.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like avocado on sandwiches but you absolutely need to season it to bring out its avacadoness when you eat it.

My take: Dragonfruit is overpriced bullshit. All looks and no flavor.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

thetan_guy42 posted:

I don't think shrettuce was ever a trend, people just realized that arugula or spring mix on a sandwich sucks, and iceberg isn't the devil. A little shredded lettuce with shaved onions dressed with oil and vinegar is basically the finishing touch on a good sub, helps lighten things up. Maybe it's the verbiage you don't like?

shrettuce is on like every sandwich and in every sandwich recipe. its ubiquitous. arugula and spring mix do not suck on sandwiches. iceberg is the devil, just use romaine instead (during hte part of the year that romaine isnt giving people ecoli or whatever)

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

pineapple is fine on pizza

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like avocado on sandwiches but you absolutely need to season it to bring out its avacadoness when you eat it.

I tried some for the first time a couple of months ago and was not impressed.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

But Not Tonight posted:

More than fine, it's actually good. Pepperoni and pineapple is a good combo because spicy and sweet is a good combo.

Also Detroit style and Chicago style are good, and yes they are actually pizza.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avocado on sandwiches is fine but it doesn't belong on a BLT and every time I see a BLT with avocado I get just a tiny bit sad. Like not actually sad just like... "why would you do this." Avocado brings nothing to a BLT that the bacon and mayonnaise aren't bringing, it's just... there.

The magic of the BLT is the tomato, and how it mixes with the mayo, and how the salty, crispy, fatty bacon plays off the tomato, and you get a little sweetness from the lettuce if it's good, and then the crispy toasted bread. Avocado's just a distraction from what is already a perfect sandwich.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mayo is gross on sandwiches and avocado is a great substitute on a BLaT.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sous Vide is poaching and poaching is a poo poo cooking method for things not pasta or like pierogi whatnot. Meat and eggs should not be boiled.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can post better bait than that, I’m sure of it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

You can post better bait than that, I’m sure of it.

sushi is overrated. raw fish and vinegar rice? oh yeah im sure this takes a lifetime to master. i'm sure 'apprentices have to wash the rice for 5 years before they even get to touch the fish' or whatever isnt just an older than dirt marketing trick combined with taking advantage of cheap labor.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

But Not Tonight posted:

I like the people who get all hoity toity about hawaiian pizza and then completely ignore the existence of prosciutto e melone in italian cuisine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

But Not Tonight posted:

I agree but at the same time “pineapple pizza sucks” is fun for harmless memes

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Riptor posted:

I like the people who get all hoity toity about hawaiian pizza and then completely ignore the existence of prosciutto e melone in italian cuisine

one is cooked the other isn't

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Borsche69 posted:

one is cooked the other isn't

what i mean is the people who object to the pairing of a savory thing with fruit fundamentally and act as if it doesn't exist within Italian cuisine

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chocolate and chilli don’t actually go together

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Scientastic posted:

Chocolate and chilli don’t actually go together

They're fine, just not as good as vanilla and chili.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Riptor posted:

what i mean is the people who object to the pairing of a savory thing with fruit fundamentally and act as if it doesn't exist within Italian cuisine

oh that's fair

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I am not convinced that washing rice before cooking it actually does anything

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It doesn't matter if there are beans in the chili, or not.

It also doesn't matter if you use ground beef or chopped beef.

As long as there's no ranch dressing powder, it's probably good enough to eat with beers while watching sports.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Pho is tastier and less arrogant than ramen.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
kiwi are better whole with the fuzzy skin on. It's like biting into a testicle!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cake, in particular sponge-based, usually isn't very good, and feels like a chore to eat. The same goes for most sweet pies with a plain crust.

Eggs on burgers suck.

Big fried breakfasts suck and make you feel like poo poo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Force de Fappe posted:

Big fried breakfasts suck and make you feel like poo poo.

This is the spiciest of bad takes, hungover brunch is the best thing

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sometimes i drink during brunch so i can be hungover again for second brunch

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Shamelessly stolen from the GIP CE thread:
https://twitter.com/Surgeon_General/status/1573017992304201729?t=x00C7ytfCFFVzAPbB81BhA&s=19

Cups are superior to cones, which are overrated and messy :colbert:

Force de Fappe posted:

Cake, in particular sponge-based, usually isn't very good, and feels like a chore to eat. The same goes for most sweet pies with a plain crust.

Similarly, cake is fine if you don't ruin it with icing!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Changing traditional Italian recipes is cool and good

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDUy3Y_w9Tk

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I like toast that has cooled to at least room temperature. That way the butter doesn't melt and the toast stays crunchy. It's by far the superior way to enjoy toast and I'm sick of hiding who I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The seeds of a kiwi combined with the texture of watermelon and less flavor than an unripe, imported Chinese pear.

Hot take: Budweiser is in fact, a good beer. Not just "a good lager", but a good beer. Full stop.