Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Borsche69 posted:

this is less of a food take than it is an issue with sociology and the nature of how trends spread, but i am also very tired of 'food trends' where something will blow up (like shakshuka or shooter sandwiches) and suddenly everyone is releasing the same video/article/whatever. quit copying eachother

My hot take is that food trends are fun and good because they get people who normally play it safe to try new things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Professor Wayne posted:

My hot take is that food trends are fun and good because they get people who normally play it safe to try new things

i'd agree but like 90% of this crap is like grilled cheese and smashburgers and not nearly enough shakshuka or whatever.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Force de Fappe posted:

Cake, in particular sponge-based, usually isn't very good, and feels like a chore to eat. The same goes for most sweet pies with a plain crust.

Eggs on burgers suck.

Big fried breakfasts suck and make you feel like poo poo.

'usually' doing a lot of heavy lifting here. cake could be really good but people are fat pigs that will eat anything so the bar for good sweets is in the ground.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Buttchocks posted:

kiwi are better whole with the fuzzy skin on. It's like biting into a testicle!

it's just more satisfying to eat with the skin!

here's my hot takes: ranch sucks. i'll eat a veggie tray with ranch but that's about it. what about it makes people go sloppy feral, I'll never understand. sour cream sucks too. it doesn't add any real flavor and why do I want my tacos to be even mushier? they're already plenty moist with the cilantro, onions or pico, hot sauce and/or cheese ffs. not even taco bell has every served me a food dry enough that i have ever thought, "man, this needs some sour cream on it".

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I am mad about sushi a lot.

dousing things in spicy sauce is just to hide how garbage quality your fish is.

cream cheese does not belong anywhere near sushi rolls.

dogs don’t need a fine dining tasting menu (https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/restaurants/article/dogue-restaurant-dogs-17484518.php)

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Professor Wayne posted:

this, most of the time, but what's super annoying is when a culturally significant food gets rebranded in a way that's sanitised for western consumption and takes off in its ripoff form. like, look at japanese curry in the uk - not only do we call all japanese style curries 'katsu', it's mostly uk based corporations that are profiting off this foreign dish's popularity, rather than the japanese people who've actually been making curry for decades lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

w4ddl3d33 posted:

this, most of the time, but what's super annoying is when a culturally significant food gets rebranded in a way that's sanitised for western consumption and takes off in its ripoff form. like, look at japanese curry in the uk - not only do we call all japanese style curries 'katsu', it's mostly uk based corporations that are profiting off this foreign dish's popularity, rather than the japanese people who've actually been making curry for decades lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMYKATQlFZ4

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Well, that is probably the worst possible example for an otherwise correct analysis.
You could say the same about the original Japanese kare makers ripping of the British curry makers who had been making curry for decades.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"There's nothing wrong with sweet cocktails, loving SMILE once in a while, you grumpy poo poo."

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

British food is actually serviceable when made right.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lawman 0 posted:

British food is actually serviceable when made right.

I enjoy making British cuisine. It’s great! But my experience going to London was that nobody wants to make it right unless you’re paying $$$

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

I enjoy making British cuisine. It’s great! But my experience going to London was that nobody wants to make it right unless you’re paying $$$

The problem with eating in London (particularly centrally) is that for every decent restaurant making great food at affordable prices, there are a hundred trying to trick tourists into eating crap.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just remembered my favourite culinary hot take

It’s OK to have food that isn’t “balanced”, not every bite needs to have a little bit of sweet in it, some things are better without adding sugar

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
To expand on the above, sugar has no place in pasta sauce. It just doesn’t.

I remember the first time I went to a friends house and she made spaghetti and it blew my mind when she had to explain to me why her sauce was so sweet. It was just how she grew up eating it.

I also hate ketchup so this could be my inherent bias against sweet tomato stuff.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ll use literally a pinch of sugar to tamp down the acidity if it needs it. But only if it needs it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quite A Tool posted:

I remember the first time I went to a friends house and she made spaghetti and it blew my mind when she had to explain to me why her sauce was so sweet. It was just how she grew up eating it.

I also hate ketchup so this could be my inherent bias against sweet tomato stuff.

I'm also anti-ketchup on anything other than french fries (and even then I'll take a spicy ranch or sriracha mayo or BBQ sauce or pretty much anything else available), but sugar definitely does have a place in pasta sauce...as FGR mentioned, if it needs it. Sometimes the acidity is just out of control and sugar helps balance it without actually making it sweet.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Since this is the hot takes thread I’m gonna double down and say that I’ll chug a kiddie pool of pepto before I add sugar to my sauce to balance out acidity.

(Y’all right but I’m talking about the stuff that intentionally tastes sweet)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If my tomato sauce is acid, I’d rather add baking soda to it, which neutralises the acid, rather than masking it

The only thing you need to be careful of is that you stir it and give it some time, otherwise it can be fizzy, which is offputting

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Avocado fries/Fried avocado is an atrocity that should be de-invented.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
here's one for the books: dog peanut butter is better than human peanut butter. i've literally invented a fake dog to talk about with the cashier to give myself an excuse to buy this stuff

paraquat posted:

avocado, as a whole, should be wiped from history. it's like if candle wax was a fruit

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

w4ddl3d33 posted:

here's one for the books: dog peanut butter is better than human peanut butter. i've literally invented a fake dog to talk about with the cashier to give myself an excuse to buy this stuff

avocado, as a whole, should be wiped from history. it's like if candle wax was a fruit

sunflower butter is also better than human peanut butter

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

paraquat posted:

I feel this could just extend to hot avocado in general. It needs to be room temp or cooler imo.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Quite A Tool posted:

a lot of that seems to stem from this sort of myth about 'tinny' flavored canned tomatoes. it was literally true back maybe as late as the 70s-80s but canning as an industry has changed a ton, and i dont know if ive ever gotten a metallic or tin note from canned tomatoes or canned anything

people still add sugar to it because they grew up with it and also sugar is addictive

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

w4ddl3d33 posted:

I would genuinely like to hear what you might substitute for it in a California roll, as i like the texture contrast with the cucumber, but the haas (hass?) has basically no flavor.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I don't even want cucumber in sushi rolls. Also unrelated but nowhere near enough rolls are using scallion.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

I don't even want cucumber in sushi rolls. Also unrelated but nowhere near enough rolls are using scallion.

I like green onions a lot, but i think it's wearing on me. :-/
I won't even use it in raw egg in rice with soy sauce anymore

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

I like green onions a lot, but i think it's wearing on me. :-/
I won't even use it in raw egg in rice with soy sauce anymore

thats crazy to me given that they feel too mild to every actually dislike. its onion but as an herb. subtle with no bite

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

thats crazy to me given that they feel too mild to every actually dislike. its onion but as an herb. subtle with no bite

Where i am they can be almost as strong asa regular onion, though the greens are milder.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Where i am they can be almost as strong asa regular onion, though the greens are milder.

okay yeah that checks out. i dont go to the asian market much but the couple times i go the scallions are like three twice as strong, twice as big, and half the cost as the poo poo i get from giant or wegmens. its just out of the way

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Borsche69 posted:

okay yeah that checks out. i dont go to the asian market much but the couple times i go the scallions are like three twice as strong, twice as big, and half the cost as the poo poo i get from giant or wegmens. its just out of the way

Carrots as big as baseball bats. I dunno what’s up with Asian markets they must be feeding these vegetables steroids

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Soups kind of suck. I'd rather have almost anything over a soup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

TheCog posted:

Both thin soups and thick soups?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Steve Yun posted:

Both thin soups and thick soups?

Thin soups with a bunch of stuff (like ramen and pho) are *fine*, but generally worse than the sum of their components. Creams like butternut squash soup or tomato soup usually just make me wish I had the ingredients roasted, instead of souped.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pho is really bad, extremely low tier Vietnamese

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

TheCog posted:

I feel like this most of the time but I love minestrone

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It’s not that I don’t like soup/think it’s bad, I just went out for ramen last night, but I’m rarely ever *excited* about getting soup. I’ll almost never think of it when I’m like “Hey I’m hungry”.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it because it’s missing the act of chewing

How do you feel about stews

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Interesting, my hot take is that thick soups like stews or bisque and chowder and good but don't like thin soups. I don't want to drink my food typically.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Is it because it’s missing the act of chewing

How do you feel about stews

Let’s just say people will be into my chili one way or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pho just makes me so drat happy. I don’t even eat a lot of the noodles I just like a good pho broth.