Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Gaius Marius posted:

Pho is really bad, extremely low tier Vietnamese

Definitely a hot take, whats something you would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like pho, but I would gently caress up a bowl of bun bo hue over pho every time

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I like soups and stews in general, but only when it's cold out. Pho I can do when it's summer but I generally prefer not to. Note: I'm in Houston, so warm and hot are relatively high numbers for both temperature and humidity.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Casu Marzu posted:

I like pho, but I would gently caress up a bowl of bun bo hue over pho every time

Bun Bo Hue has saved my life from a hangover more times than I can count over the last decade.

Maybe it’s not that I don’t like soup it’s just that I equate it with hangovers and feeling like poo poo. Oh no, am I the problem?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bun cha is objectively the best vietnamese dish. Don’t be a normie and order only pho

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love pho so much but have never been able to get down with tendon (it's like you're eating flavorless styrofoam) or tripe (flavorless rubber bands). It's either rare flank or meatballs for me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How is Bun Bo Hue pronounced? the place I get pho at has it but I've never ordered it/known what it is.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How is Bun Bo Hue pronounced? the place I get pho at has it but I've never ordered it/known what it is.

It's kind of like Boon Buh Hway. But Vietnamese is a tonal language, so it's tough to get it across.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

killer crane posted:

It's kind of like Boon Buh Hway. But Vietnamese is a tonal language, so it's tough to get it across.

The “number 22” it is then

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can hear it here:

https://translate.google.com/?sl=vi&tl=en&text=b%FAn%20b%F2%20huế%0A&op=translate

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Hot take: lumpy mashed potatoes are good. The best, actually, and I want lots of coarse-ground black pepper in them too.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
If they still have the skin on you just described my ideal mashed potatoes. Miss me with that cream of wheat adjacent poo poo. Admittedly I will devour a package of instant from time to time.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

My hot take: red wine goes better with salmon than white wine. Other fish, sure, I'll stick with convention. But not salmon. Red wine for the red fish.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Quite A Tool posted:

If they still have the skin on you just described my ideal mashed potatoes. Miss me with that cream of wheat adjacent poo poo. Admittedly I will devour a package of instant from time to time.

Hell yeah. Potato flakes are very handy to have around

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Meaty Ore posted:

My hot take: red wine goes better with salmon than white wine. Other fish, sure, I'll stick with convention. But not salmon. Red wine for the red fish.

Red wine goes well with most foods, it’s absolute nonsense that some foods are “white wine only”

I was a work Christmas dinner once, and one of my French colleagues was horrified at me having mustard and red wine with my turkey, and all I could feel was pity at him being so straitened by convention that he couldn’t even moisten his dry slab of turkey with a bit of Dijon

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 21, 2022

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Curry powder is Good, actually.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Mid-rare pork is gross.

I grew up with shoe leather chops for “safety” and now I just don’t do either. I try and try and I just can’t, the texture gets me every single time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Hot take: lumpy mashed potatoes are good. The best, actually, and I want lots of coarse-ground black pepper in them too.

Only with sour cream

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Overly meaty sandwiches are bad. This is inclusive of multiple meat toppings as well as sliced meats piled 3 inches high.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Meaty Ore posted:

cooked salmon is no good, its fine smoked or as sushi

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

thetan_guy42 posted:

sous vide salmon is hella good

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

thetan_guy42 posted:

Overcooked salmon is no good

That’s better

I know loads of people who don’t like salmon, and it’s because they’ve only ever had it cooked until it’s dry and crumbly

Yes, I am British, kind of you to notice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think a whole lot of Asian food would be vastly improved if you browned the veggies and meat. Did that to galbi jjim (Korean braised short rib) and my mom was impressed

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

thetan_guy42 posted:

Smoked fish is cooked, even if it's cold-smoked. :colbert:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Steve Yun posted:

I think a whole lot of Asian food would be vastly improved if you browned the veggies and meat. Did that to galbi jjim (Korean braised short rib) and my mom was impressed

I didn’t know this was a thing with Asian food. Admittedly I don’t cook it much at home. Why would you not brown things?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hamburgers that aren’t smash burgers taste way better if you preseason the meat and mix it in. Whatever textural benefit you get is not worth the inside of the burger being unseasoned ground beef.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
They should make pickles illegal.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

PurpleXVI posted:

They should YOU illegal for having such a wrong opinion

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PurpleXVI posted:

Pickles are amazing, but they should make putting pickles on other things illegal. I love them, but they completely overpower anything they are on.

Except Indian pickles.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Bad foods

Tenderloin - beef or pork, doesn't matter, both garbage

White wine - awful, get it out of my sight. Orange wine is at least palatable

Caviar with blini - bland, zero texture. Put the caviar on a potato chip for god sakes

Truffle - Single most overrated ingredient of all time

Japanese cheesecake - studio ghibli rear end cake, zero cheese flavor

Neapolitan pizza - Roman style, specifically pizza tonda, is better 110%

Wet curry - dry curry is just better, sorry

French cuisine isn't even a top 5 continental cuisine (Italian, Spanish, Greek, Turkish, Portuguese are all superior).

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gorman Thomas posted:

Bad foods

Tenderloin - beef or pork, doesn't matter, both garbage

Caviar with blini - bland, zero texture. Put the caviar on a potato chip for god sakes

Truffle - Single most overrated ingredient of all time

Japanese cheesecake - studio ghibli rear end cake, zero cheese flavor

Wet curry - dry curry is just better, sorry

French cuisine isn't even a top 5 continental cuisine (Italian, Spanish, Greek, Turkish, Portuguese are all superior).

turkish and greek cuisine are the same thing. i won't fall for this troll.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Most Asian meat recipes would be improved if they seared their meats like western recipes (where appropriate)

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Water chestnuts should be wiped off of the face of the earth.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Gorman Thomas posted:

White wine has a role in sauces and stocks, in my opinion.

And what, I ask, causing a thousand Italians to become incandescent with fury at my not knowing, is the difference between Neapolitan and Roman pizza?

Also you forget Austrian, absolutely the best kitchens in Europe.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Scientastic posted:

This is the spiciest of bad takes, hungover brunch is the best thing

It is the best thing until you're so overweight from the drink-sleep-eat-rinse-repeat that came on during lockdown.
I'm still fat as a gently caress and that was 2+ years ago

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
- Dry/acidic wines are bad, and only snooty marketing convinces the gullible that they're worth drinking.

- Ontario is ten years behind America in the microbrew scene, they still think having more hops than malt is the mark of good beer.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

- Dry/acidic wines are bad, and only snooty marketing convinces the gullible that they're worth drinking.

- Ontario is ten years behind America in the microbrew scene, they still think having more hops than malt is the mark of good beer.

I know nothing about the Ontario beer scene, but the overwhelming majority of breweries that I have gone to here in America over the last five years still believe this too.

Edit: Austin and Denver beer scenes for context. If there are other areas that have moved past this, please let me know.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Doom Rooster posted:

I know nothing about the Ontario beer scene, but the overwhelming majority of breweries that I have gone to here in America over the last five years still believe this too.

Edit: Austin and Denver beer scenes for context. If there are other areas that have moved past this, please let me know.
Not only are the local brewers in Vermont still hopping the poo poo out of everything, they're actually noting them on the cans, apparently for the hop aficionados.

That said, there's a small wave of diversity at the moment in the form of pilsners which I'll take over "nothing but IPAs".

Hot take: I've been greatly cutting down my consumption of beer. Partially for health, partially out of boredom.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Doom Rooster posted:

The Massachusetts beer scene has several breweries (Night Shift bring the principal one) who are far, FAR too interested in sours. There's definitely hoppy beers but the "make it as hoppy as gently caress" trend broke several years ago with hard seltzers, sours, and, mercifully, several breweries focusing on really well made Central European style lagers. Treehouse is a great example - used to be that their offerings were all huge NEIPAs but now they have dozens of beers of all styles. Trillium too, though to a lesser degree

If you're ever in the area, Notch is the best brewery in New England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cheesus posted:

Not only are the local brewers in Vermont still hopping the poo poo out of everything, they're actually noting them on the cans, apparently for the hop aficionados.
Same company as above just announced...

quote:

Introducing Wave!
Wave by Burlington Beer Company is a sparkling hop-infused water with zero alcohol, zero calories, zero carbs, and zero sugar. With Wave, you can enjoy IPA-inspired hop flavors at any time of the day. A blend of Pacific Northwest Mosaic and Vermont Cascade and Chinook hop varieties imparts notes of orange blossom, lime zest, lemongrass, pineapple, and grapefruit. Anytime’s the right time to catch a wave.