Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Most boba in America are terrible. Actually most boba everywhere is terrible. It’s mostly sugar. I’m constantly astonished by people who go for the 80% or 100% sugar options.

The best boba has very little or no sugar and you can truly taste the quality of the tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kewpie is overrated mushroomed up mayo. No, best foods is not good either. If you want mayonnaise that tastes closer to hand made get this

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Kewpie is overrated mushroomed up mayo. No, best foods is not good either. If you want mayonnaise that tastes closer to hand made get this

What the hell is this...?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mayonnaise with the citrus tang you’d get from home made

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Steve Yun posted:

Mayonnaise with the citrus tang you’d get from home made

I actually *like* the vinegar taste of kewpie over regular citrus mayo. :colbert:
Also the added yolk and msg. gently caress yeah.

Hot take: adding lemon zest to baked goods just makes it taste like Fruit Loops

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mayonnaise can gently caress off and why does it have to be on everything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mayonnaise on fried rice is great

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
Mayo rules, but it can go too far p fast

Hot take: hot pot loving sucks. Yes lemme order a bunch of different ingredients that all taste the same cuz of the boiling liquid you blanch it in

Just order a shitload of mushrooms instead, they’re delicious

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mayo on sandwiches and stuff is great, except literally everywhere puts way too much. The correct amount is however much is left after you actually attempt to scrape it all off.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010
Mayo is the one true condiment for Pommes Frites.

That's not a hot take, that's just the truth.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Mayonnaise can gently caress off and why does it have to be on everything.

https://youtu.be/q51JzPVfSuE

:ohdear:

Personally, i like it in two things:
- Sandwiches/burgers
- coleslaw

Fries, I go back and forth on.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 15, 2023

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Mister Facetious posted:

I would genuinely like to hear what you might substitute for it in a California roll, as i like the texture contrast with the cucumber, but the haas (hass?) has basically no flavor.

tofu would work. maybe even smoked tofu if you're nasty.

quote:

sparkling hop-infused water

my hot take is that you couldn't make me drink this with a gun to my forehead

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eh hops are fine, good in kombucha too. I hope these NA happy beers take off because the only thing more annoying than a new IPA is a new imperial IPA and maybe not pale beers could be brewed!

I'm super super happy the lactose beers were a quick fad.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

milk beers are weird and the double chocolate stouts + their ilk are absolutely disgusting

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Borsche69 posted:

milk beers are weird and the double chocolate stouts + their ilk are absolutely disgusting

50:50 mix of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Lineman's Kriek is utterly delicious. You don't want to drink more than about 4-6 oz. of it (meaning you can split 2 bottles between 3-4 people), but it's a fantastic dessert drink.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

50:50 mix of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Lineman's Kriek is utterly delicious. You don't want to drink more than about 4-6 oz. of it (meaning you can split 2 bottles between 3-4 people), but it's a fantastic dessert drink.

that's fair i guess. they just serve them in standard bottles/cans or like pints so it ends up not being a lot of fun

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Avocado on sandwiches isn't good. Its mild flavor gets overwhelmed by everything else, and its texture is just sort of mushy and boring. Plus, I've never eaten a sandwich at a restaurant that contained avocado that was obviously seasoned; you can't expect the rest of the ingredients (even if they're salty, like bacon) to do the heavy lifting. It really needs salt to make it worth eating in any application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?q0No2wuNoEU

These are super popular in the city where I grew up, 2 avocados per sandwich and they are loving delicious

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

w4ddl3d33 posted:

this, most of the time, but what's super annoying is when a culturally significant food gets rebranded in a way that's sanitised for western consumption

Birria... like drat, at least use lamb if you are scared of goat

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I think Americans have terrible taste in beer... they went from toast tasting coors light on the menu to 30 slight variations of some undrinkable quadruple IPA with clever names.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I mostly drink pale ales and lagers op.
The occasional IPA can be good actually.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Budweiser is, in fact, The King of Beers™.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Shrettuce ruins every sandwich it touches. It's just soggies poo poo up.

Pork belly and tuna tartare on menus is a crutch. So are short ribs.

Wine is just a good way to impress people with how much money you can spend.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
People who complain about craft breweries only making IPAs stopped paying attention several years ago.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Hefeweizen is the best beer, all my homies love hefeweizen.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

prayer group posted:

People who complain about craft breweries only making IPAs stopped paying attention several years ago.

there's still an almost absurd amount of IPAs, but yeah theres a lot more variety nowadays. way more pilsners and kolschs - presumably because they're tired of hearing that line about how IPAs hide their imperfections by being stuffed full of hops, and how a QUALITY brewery would be able to make a good pilsner because it can't hide behind anything

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The American obsession with white meat is a special kind of dumb. Dark meat — drumsticks and thighs — are way better nearly all of the time and command a premium in many other countries.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

neato burrito posted:

Hefeweizen is the best beer, all my homies love hefeweizen.

I don’t know poo poo about beer and can’t be bothered to learn. I have determined the IPAs aren’t my thing, but every hefeweizen I’ve had has been perfectly drinkable. So now when I do get dragged to a brewery I can order without hesitation, despite having no idea what makes a hefeweizen a hefeweizen.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

The American obsession with white meat is a special kind of dumb. Dark meat — drumsticks and thighs — are way better nearly all of the time and command a premium in many other countries.

Chicken thighs have been gradually getting more expensive the last couple years, more so than breasts. I fear people are catching on that it’s the tastiest part of the bird. (And the easiest to cook properly)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have come across one terrible Hefeweizen and it’s made by Golden Road, which such because the brewery is near me

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Shrettuce ruins every sandwich it touches. It's just soggies poo poo up.

Subway doesn't have anything to recommend it at their current prices, but I like that they have a baby spinach option I can use instead.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Chicken thighs have been gradually getting more expensive the last couple years, more so than breasts. I fear people are catching on that it’s the tastiest part of the bird. (And the easiest to cook properly)

I'm back to breaking down whole birds after years of just eating thighs.

Reminds me that shows like "the chew" really need to go back to hawking poo poo like canned soup. They single handedly made Weller impossible to find for years.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Steve Yun posted:

I have come across one terrible Hefeweizen and it’s made by Golden Road, which such because the brewery is near me

A few years ago a brewery opened up just a couple miles down the road from us and I was excited to try it. And the beer is good. Trouble is they charge way more than any tap room I've been to and the beer is only good but they're charging premium prices.

Like, no I don't want to spend $18 on a 32 oz growler of a basic stout that would cost me $8 at my favorite brewery... which is two hours away. :sigh:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Proper beer is brewed in Germany and the Czech Republic. Traditional British ale is acceptable. Belgian beer is a failed attempt at making wine out of malt and hops.

I was going to write something disparingly about natural wine, especially biodynamic, but that really can't be a hot take.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Failgium

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
S'mores are terrible and I don't understand why anyone older than 6 would like them

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
"Blue cheese tastes like feet"

wash your feet, they should not be nearly that nasty

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ogarza posted:

S'mores are terrible and I don't understand why anyone older than 6 would like them

and here i thought i was the only one with this opinion

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

ogarza posted:

GramCracker posted:

and here i thought i was the only one with this opinion

Everyone should watch The Menu

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mayonaise is good with curry and with fried rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bacon is fine. Not amazing, not terrible, just a'ight.