Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bacon strips :smith:
Beggin strips :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Bacon is fine. Not amazing, not terrible, just a'ight.

:agreed: I'm glad someone was brave enough to say bacon is mid.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
If you're not eating your fries like this, you're not eating them correctly.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Slow cookers are worthless if you own an electric pressure cooker and they turn chicken into a pile of inedible mush. The only reason I haven't given mine away is that it is still the easiest way to make cannabis coconut oil.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Tired: slow cooker
Wired: all metal pots in the electric stove

Bacon is "okay".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Books On Tape posted:

Cece, n'est pas une poutine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Books On Tape posted:

I think the mayo in the US and outside of the US must taste fundamentally different because imagining that being Hellman's mayo makes me gag.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So the thing is that usually the mayo employed on fries and such is subtly different from normal mayo, I know here in Denmark it's called "salad mayonnaise." I think the main difference is that it's slightly more viscous and notably less sweet than "normal" mayonnaise.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the mayo in the US and outside of the US must taste fundamentally different because imagining that being Hellman's mayo makes me gag.

Hellman's is the commercial standard used (in bulk) in restaurants in na, soo v:v:v

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Hellmans is a perfectly acceptable mayo for fries. You can always add garlic, hot sauce or other flavorings. As long as it isn't ketchup it's good.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

So the thing is that usually the mayo employed on fries and such is subtly different from normal mayo, I know here in Denmark it's called "salad mayonnaise." I think the main difference is that it's slightly more viscous and notably less sweet than "normal" mayonnaise.

yeah, the dutch and belgians use fritesaus which is a little tangier and sweeter, probably a little looser overall and closer to a sauce compared to what i think most americans imagine as a glob of mayo

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Borsche69 posted:

yeah, the dutch and belgians use fritesaus which is a little tangier and sweeter, probably a little looser overall and closer to a sauce compared to what i think most americans imagine as a glob of mayo

Franch

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Mu Zeta posted:

The mayo that I've had in Belgium on fries like that is more akin to homemade mayo than US jarred mayo. But even their jarred mayo is leagues better than ours. Europe in general, does condiments exceptionally well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

As a European who has had the misfortune of trying American 'mayo', I now understand why you dont put that on fries over there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta make your own

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I make moules frite I make my own mayo.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

As a European who has had the misfortune of trying American 'mayo', I now understand why you dont put that on fries over there.

I’m assuming it’s like when I made the mistake of trying the salsa when I was in London.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m assuming it’s like when I made the mistake of trying the salsa when I was in London.

LOL, those loving limeys, only eating bland lovely food, I went to a Taco Bell in London and it turned out to be poo poo, loving Brits am I right?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Scientastic posted:

LOL, those loving limeys, only eating bland lovely food, I went to a Taco Bell in London and it turned out to be poo poo, loving Brits am I right?

you are right

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

cold take: the british still make poo poo food

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Taco Bell hot sauce is vastly better than what was essentially ketchup with diced onion and bell pepper

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Old el paso sells taco kits with "extra mild" sauce in the Commonwealth.

When mild is just too spicy.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Democratic Pirate posted:

Someone got suckered into eating in Trafalger square

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
When I was in London for two weeks, the Indian food was terrific, but everything else was poo poo. Like people from London were telling me "you have to go to this place!" and then it was just bland as gently caress.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Books On Tape posted:

When I was in London for two weeks, the Indian food was terrific, but everything else was poo poo. Like people from London were telling me "you have to go to this place!" and then it was just bland as gently caress.

I will say the beef dripping popcorn at Flat Iron was delightful. Much more subtle than the bacon overload you get with apps in the states.

Hot take: putting a full meal on top of a Bloody Mary is dumb and means each component is bad on its own.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Books On Tape posted:

Same but New York to be honest, but replace Indian with sandwiches.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

My father in law said this one pizza place was good in the city i live in; we tried it and it was utterly bog standard pie.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Books On Tape posted:

I've always been curious about elements of this, specifically the origins of phall curry. How is the place with a reputation for bland as gently caress food also the place where you get the extra spicy version of someone else's ethnic food? Who were the phall people? Are these just British edgelords trying to outdo one another by eating excessively spicy food?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

litany of gulps posted:

I've always been curious about elements of this, specifically the origins of phall curry. How is the place with a reputation for bland as gently caress food also the place where you get the extra spicy version of someone else's ethnic food? Who were the phall people? Are these just British edgelords trying to outdo one another by eating excessively spicy food?

It was invented by guys in Bangladeshi restaurants up England way, mainly for the sake of proving how spicy a dish you could take if you ate it. That's basically it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

litany of gulps posted:

Quit looking for a phall guy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Hong Kong egg tarts (dan tat) are so much better than the original Portuguese version (pastel de nata) because it's not overwhelmingly sweet. Yeah there's a slight hint of savory scrambled egg flavor mixed in there but it's intentional drat it!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

The 'bland as gently caress' stereotype is from the 1950s, before curry restaurants were much of a thing over here. Given what non-ethnic white Americans were cooking up in the 1950s, it's very much a throwing stones from glass houses thing. That said phal specifically is the 'guy in his 20s after 6 lagers trying to impress his mates' stereotype.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

feedmegin posted:

The 'bland as gently caress' stereotype is from the 1950s, before curry restaurants were much of a thing over here. Given what non-ethnic white Americans were cooking up in the 1950s, it's very much a throwing stones from glass houses thing. That said phal specifically is the 'guy in his 20s after 6 lagers trying to impress his mates' stereotype.

The Phall and the far hotter Tindaloo were made because pissed idiots kept asking for the hottest thing on the menu.

Americans do this weird thing of holding onto odd stereotypes about the UK far longer than anyone else.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's tindaloo?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lawman 0 posted:

What's tindaloo?

A small town in Australia.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Lawman 0 posted:

What's tindaloo?

Kind of dog that likes to hang out in corners.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lawman 0 posted:

What's tindaloo?

A far too hot to be pleasant curry dreamed up in Newcastle

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lawman 0 posted:

What's tindaloo?

The polite way of saying you're swiping on Tinder while taking a poo poo.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Lawman 0 posted:

What's tindaloo?

not much, what's tindayou?

soy beans are literally the only bean worth a drat and if every vegan on the planet had to die to wipe out all other strains of bean from time and space it would be a sacrifice i'd be willing to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time.