Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

As a European who has had the misfortune of trying American 'mayo', I now understand why you dont put that on fries over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m assuming it’s like when I made the mistake of trying the salsa when I was in London.

Someone got suckered into eating in Trafalger square

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Books On Tape posted:

When I was in London for two weeks, the Indian food was terrific, but everything else was poo poo. Like people from London were telling me "you have to go to this place!" and then it was just bland as gently caress.

Same but New York to be honest, but replace Indian with sandwiches.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

feedmegin posted:

The 'bland as gently caress' stereotype is from the 1950s, before curry restaurants were much of a thing over here. Given what non-ethnic white Americans were cooking up in the 1950s, it's very much a throwing stones from glass houses thing. That said phal specifically is the 'guy in his 20s after 6 lagers trying to impress his mates' stereotype.

The Phall and the far hotter Tindaloo were made because pissed idiots kept asking for the hottest thing on the menu.

Americans do this weird thing of holding onto odd stereotypes about the UK far longer than anyone else.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lawman 0 posted:

What's tindaloo?

A far too hot to be pleasant curry dreamed up in Newcastle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

fart simpson posted:

cooking at home is bigly overrated. do it as a hobby if you want i guess but nobody at home can beat the efficiency of specialized labor + economies of scale that restaurant kitchens can deliver.

The Huel enjoyer has logged on inbetween ghastly watery shits