Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Seven Force posted:

It got pretty close. I look at the helldump goldmined threads and for every person you could say deserved to be ran off (xizer, legorobot, etc.) there were others whose 'crime' was they have Asperger's and post weird.

What would you say the difference is? Did we all just grow up and they didn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Dabir posted:

"lolcow" as a term is a tacit admission that you actively go and gently caress with them. Cows don't just leave buckets of milk lying around as part of their day, you gotta get in there and loving milk them.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aw man i didn't know the creator of tcrf posted here!! thank you So Much for the site, it Owns :)

i think pretty much every form of "mock thread" (afaik this covers helldump too?) eventually goes down the same road that kf does and turns into obsessive hate-stalkers unless it gets nipped in the bud like, immediately
why i couldn't say since im not a psychologist but my guess is that it just attracts obsessive types who pick at every little thing in trying to mock the subject

Booky fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 14, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Booky posted:

aw man i didn't know the creator of tcrf posted here!! thank you So Much for the site, it Owns :)

i think pretty much every form of "mock thread" (afaik this covers helldump too?) eventually goes down the same road that kf does and turns into obsessive hate-stalkers unless it gets nipped in the bud like, immediately
why i couldn't say since im not a psychologist but my guess is that it just attracts obsessive types who pick at every little thing in trying to mock the subject

Even so, every mock thread has a blanket "don't touch the poop" rule which I now realize is specifically to prevent KF 2.0. I never really appreciated that rule, it's sort of like when you buy a toaster and it has a warning label saying CAUTION: NOT TO BE USED ON DICK OR BALLS and you can't imagine why this would need to be said yet someone, somewhere caused that label to exist.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The bathroom towel labelled "for external use only"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

“Don’t touch the poop” goes all the way back to late 90s Portal of Evil and the Godawful Fanfiction forums, among others. In the early Retsupurae days Slowbeef and Diabetus made it clear to not go harassing people they were riffing on and would take down videos if asked. I don’t know exactly what convinced a significant number of people from the mid-teens on to be filthy poop-touchers.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I saw a warning sticker on a jet ski saying never to blast the jet into your rear end or vagina. Someone got turned into a human puffer fish.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Booky posted:

I'd say that only happens to maybe 50% of the mock threads. Some of them have the other problem, where people who fit the definition of those being mocked jump into the thread to complain about it being a circle jerk and/or unfair to that thread's subjects. See: Every one of the incel threads, or the kf defenders this thread has brought out of the woodwork.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

I'd say that only happens to maybe 50% of the mock threads. Some of them have the other problem, where people who fit the definition of those being mocked jump into the thread to complain about it being a circle jerk and/or unfair to that thread's subjects. See: Every one of the incel threads, or the kf defenders this thread has brought out of the woodwork.

dont forget back in the early 2000's Something Awful would mock :btroll: fat people and at some point goons would have melt downs over that.

Hell I learned the term hambeast from this site and oooh boy I learned dont use that in real life.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So did those threads turn into the stalker reddit or was that a separate fat person mock group?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mock threads and other communities and projects based on mocking and attacking outsiders for perceived undesirable traits do have a tendency to fester when they run out of the easiest available material and the participants get bored, inevitably escalating to active harassment of what's perceived as valid targets, and/or widening the scope of what's seen as acceptable targets, or just running it completely into the ground. grognards.txt ended up closed at request of the thread regulars when they basically realised 'we're literally the only ones still paying attention to these people', and similarly FYAD mock threads tend to be closed when there's not a lot of valid material specifically to prevent goons from scraping the bottom of the barrel for content. Or you get Helldump spirals of turning on each other because they've normalised what amounts to vicious, brutal and constant bullying of any viable target. And if left unattended, that behaviour inevitably escalates into what amounts to a genuine hate group, and that's how you get Kiwifarms.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mock threads and other communities and projects based on mocking and attacking outsiders for perceived undesirable traits do have a tendency to fester when they run out of the easiest available material and the participants get bored, inevitably escalating to active harassment of what's perceived as valid targets, and/or widening the scope of what's seen as acceptable targets, or just running it completely into the ground. grognards.txt ended up closed at request of the thread regulars when they basically realised 'we're literally the only ones still paying attention to these people', and similarly FYAD mock threads tend to be closed when there's not a lot of valid material specifically to prevent goons from scraping the bottom of the barrel for content. Or you get Helldump spirals of turning on each other because they've normalised what amounts to vicious, brutal and constant bullying of any viable target. And if left unattended, that behaviour inevitably escalates into what amounts to a genuine hate group, and that's how you get Kiwifarms.

I always felt garbage day in helldump was funny as gently caress, but when the circle jerk crew runs out of low hanging fruit it end badly. I felt the solultion to helldump was to Brigadoon it. Basically close it for a year or two and bring it back.

just like how D&D had to end toxic threads because it was eating the community. personally I kinda wished to see D&D run its course and eat its own.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Looking through the replies, that letter might be a hoax by the person who allegedly received it, as it doesn't read like an official summons at all according to a German law professor. Keffals implies she did actually sent in a complaint, but the letter is dated months ago, perhaps before anything was kicking off.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the german thing apparently was some psy-op thing kf tried to do, because upon translation it would turn out to be hitler's speech or something similar. the idea was for keffals or someone read it on stream and they can go put up reports to strike their channel down for inciting hatred. This 5d chess stratagem, shockingly, did not work.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the german thing apparently was some psy-op thing kf tried to do, because upon translation it would turn out to be hitler's speech or something similar. the idea was for keffals or someone read it on stream and they can go put up reports to strike their channel down for inciting hatred. This 5d chess stratagem, shockingly, did not work.
What a deranged plan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
These people think everyone is really, really stupid. To be fair, the unfamiliar tend to fall for that kind of poo poo depressingly easily, but people who do two seconds of due diligence are their Kryptonite.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

These people think everyone is really, really stupid. To be fair, the unfamiliar tend to fall for that kind of poo poo depressingly easily, but people who do two seconds of due diligence are their Kryptonite.

They are extremely stupid, and cannot conceive of anyone possibly being smarter than them.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bargearse posted:

They are extremely stupid, and cannot conceive of anyone possibly being smarter than them.

who? the KF? or keffals? for tweeting out hoax letter?

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
I think Amelie Stefanie Körner is the extremely stupid one, she shouldn't have been cyberbullying, cyberstalking, hacking and doxing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The end result was a bunch of news sites saying "yo these KF freaks are actually getting in trouble with the law now" and a bunch of additional pressure on CloudFlare to drop KF that otherwise wouldn't have been added

Like I said, KF's userbase could not stop themselves from loving it all up even when it was clear to everyone else that they were about to face actual consequences

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Ups_rail posted:

who? the KF? or keffals? for tweeting out hoax letter?

KF and their cunning plan of course.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mock threads and other communities and projects based on mocking and attacking outsiders for perceived undesirable traits do have a tendency to fester when they run out of the easiest available material and the participants get bored, inevitably escalating to active harassment of what's perceived as valid targets, and/or widening the scope of what's seen as acceptable targets, or just running it completely into the ground.

A tale as old as time - gamers.txt, grogs.txt, the loving star citizen subforum, the Stadia thread just being people copy-pasting /r/stadia. Even stuff like PYF Goon Sagas, even with its new rules seems to just keep cycling back to goons yelling at each other and cross-posting their posting enemies.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The site's users are rabid animals who eat their own at the first opportunity, if he deprives them of their hate group clubhouse he's next on the chopping block. Helldump went after their own for far less, and Kiwifarms is end-stage Helldump taken to its worst extremes.

How are they gonna come after him? What’s to go after? Dude is in a hole in a basement supposedly in Serbia or something. A few years ago he was living at home and he had to flee because of running the site. What exactly would his users do to him?

He’s running the site because he wants to and he’s crying about internet death threats that he knows full well are complete bs. I think he just saw how much attention that poo poo got from his victims but null knows better.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Teaparty community invasion was funny and I think the last time SA did anything like it?

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Internet Old One posted:

he’s crying about internet death threats that he knows full well are complete bs.
Been saying this. Just log off, dummy.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Kchama posted:

Looking through the replies, that letter might be a hoax by the person who allegedly received it, as it doesn't read like an official summons at all according to a German law professor. Keffals implies she did actually sent in a complaint, but the letter is dated months ago, perhaps before anything was kicking off.

I think it turned out that the letter was the opening paragraph of Mein Kampf or something equally stupid.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
No, this is something different, unless the Hitler letter actually did start off with referencing cyberbullying, cyberstalking, and hacking.

EDIT: Spoiltagging because of how loving awful everything about this person is.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

it appears to be an altered letter related to the German youtuber Drachenlord and his doxxing/harrasment campaign. I think it overlaps with KF and the people who harrassed him went there at some point startin a thread, but its origin did not start there. I think only the name got changed on the paper though and the rest appears valid.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ah, dammit, I'm sorry. I got excited when I saw it and didn't look into it more.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

dont forget back in the early 2000's Something Awful would mock :btroll: fat people and at some point goons would have melt downs over that.

Hell I learned the term hambeast from this site and oooh boy I learned dont use that in real life.

SA rounded all the furries into their own sun forum, gassed the sub forum, and banned the furries. Doxing people, invading other forums, playing playing yakkity sax over 9/11….. Early 2000s SA was every bit as bad as Kiwifarms, but over time the toxic people weeded themselves out for one terrible reason or another. This same effect happened across all the internet communities, and all those people congealed into kiwifarms.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It also had "Awful Link of the Day." ("Hey, look, they have a guest book! Be sure to let them know what you think!")

Who remembers Bill Slater?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kchama posted:

I might give him that benefit of the doubt, but 'lolcow' is one of those really telling terms, in that an 'extreme grasstoucher' wouldn't be using it because the only communities that use it in common parlance are uh... horrible stalker dens like KF or ED.

Its cool how people are coming to this conclusion due to that person being familiar with a term that every other person in this thread also knows about.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
It's such a cringe term, too. Oh, a LOL COW, a "cow" you "lol" about? How quaint, did you go to the ZANY ACADEMY to come up with that one?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Omon Ra posted:

It's such a cringe term, too. Oh, a LOL COW, a "cow" you "lol" about? How quaint, did you go to the ZANY ACADEMY to come up with that one?

I assume the idea is it's a cow you milk lols, i.e. embarrassing personal details or documented behaviors from

Less random and more just a sociopathic way to envision relating to other people

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

DamnitGannet posted:

kiwi farms? more like dead farms, am i right?

Dodo Farms was right there, man

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

little munchkin posted:

Its cool how people are coming to this conclusion due to that person being familiar with a term that every other person in this thread also knows about.

yeah, I'm familiar with that term
nobody uses that term casually in conversation on the internet unless they are involved, primarily, secondarily or tertiarily, in some kind of internet stalking or read a site like ED or KF on the regs.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mr. Lobe posted:

I assume the idea is it's a cow you milk lols, i.e. embarrassing personal details or documented behaviors from

Less random and more just a sociopathic way to envision relating to other people

Yeah, like that kf poster who was quoted early in the thread talking about a person they actually know in real like who is "kind of a personal lolcow". That's just an extremely sad way to relate to someone in your actual life.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

little munchkin posted:

It's the use of lolcow, not the mention of it, that raises eyebrows. Everyone else is using terms like "victims," "targets," or "trans people" in conversation. Actually calling Kiwi Farm's targets "lolcows" is an accidental shibboleth

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Dejan is not a KF user you loving idiots lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Dejan is not a KF user you loving idiots lol

then they should stop talking about lolcows and saying poo poo like "internet CIA," problem solved