Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

General Dog posted:

Saw that Guy Morris died this week at age 71, after a 2016 Alzheimers diagnosis. He played 15 years in the NFL, but as a coach his legacy is probably being on the receiving end of this play as Kentucky's coach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iogaDJ0Y3E

...and breaking an 18 year non-winning streak in the Battle of the Brazos in the middle of an otherwise unsuccessful tenure as Baylor's coach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ia_Ws9vHmE

...and the time that he applauded his players stealing all the student newspapers on campus as the coach of Texas A&M Commerce.

I'm just going to assume what that video is and not click it.

I saw that yesterday, lots of love coming from current and former UK connections. I had forgotten how long he had been there prior to being the head coach. He left UK after one year as the head coach when the administration refused to give raises to his assistants, so he took Baylor's offer. That was apparently a wakeup call for the football program. That one year was fun though with Lorenzen slinging it around all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Tell me this is worse than me having to sit through three goddamned years of the Steve Bellasari experience. Would Georgia Tech have had to start Reggie Ball for eight years under the current system?

Reggie Ball is legitimately the best Tech QB in the past 20 years. Feast your eyes on a very sad list of QBs since having Joe Hamilton and George Godsey back-to-back.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

That is a terrible list but a lot of those guys were option QBs and none of them had Calvin Johnson. Reggie Ball had 1,820 yards passing in 2006 and Calvin Johnson had 1,202 of those. I don't know if one receiver has ever accounted for more than 66% of a quarterbacks passing yards in a season, but I doubt it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ohio State has Arkansas State this weekend and their QB is James Blackman lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Did I miss the latest polls?
code:
1	Alabama 	(44) 		1-0	1552	
2	Georgia 	(17)		1-0	1511	
3	Ohio State	(2)		1-0	1471	
4	Michigan			1-0	1299	
5	Clemson				1-0	1280	
6	Texas A&M			1-0	1241	
7	Oklahoma			1-0	1130	
8	Notre Dame			0-1	1085	
9	Baylor				1-0	1057	
10	USC				1-0	898	
11	Oklahoma State			1-0	818	
12	Florida				1-0	763	
13	Utah				0-1	717	
14	Michigan State			1-0	690	
15	Miami				1-0	679	
16	Arkansas			1-0	678	
17	Pittsburgh			1-0	535	
18	NC State			1-0	513	
19	Wisconsin			1-0	476	
20	Kentucky			1-0	373	
21	BYU				1-0	266	
22	Ole Miss			1-0	254	
23	Wake Forest			1-0	246	
24	Tennessee			1-0	194	
25	Houston				1-0	143	
Oregon dropped like a bad date on prom night. ND only loses a few spots. Florida shoots up from not ranked to 12th.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What's the last time a team ranked in the top 5 defeated another team ranked in the top 5 and then dropped in the polls?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pakled posted:

The rise of NFL salaries is a big reason why there aren't as many Polynesian sumo wrestlers as there used to be. In the 80's and 90's, there were a lot of Polynesian people in the top ranks of sumo. But NFL salaries have exploded since the 90's while Sumo wresters' salaries have remained relatively stagnant, so now if you're an enormous 18-year-old Samoan guy who wants to pursue athletics, it makes a lot more sense to go into American football. Living in a somewhat less alien culture and not being subject to the hardships of being a low-ranked guy in a sumo stable are other pluses.

Also, in a way that I guess is kinda similar to the old NCAA/NFL divide, in sumo, you don't actually get paid a salary until you're in like the top 10% of the ranks, until then you just get a living stipend.

Yeah, NCAA or sumo is a pretty easy decision. If you don't make it in football at least you have a degree to fall back on. If you spend 4 years in sumo and don't make the top ranks, guys are basically dependent on the equivalent of boosters to hook them up with jobs.

But sumo and line coaches could probably learn quite a bit from each other. Sumo could probably use some modern S&C tips while footballers could get some drills for footwork and explosiveness off the line (though sumo training in that area is probably too dangerous even for football standards).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Did I miss the latest polls?
code:
1	Alabama 	(44) 		1-0	1552	
2	Georgia 	(17)		1-0	1511	
3	Ohio State	(2)		1-0	1471	
4	Michigan			1-0	1299	
5	Clemson				1-0	1280	
6	Texas A&M			1-0	1241	
7	Oklahoma			1-0	1130	
8	Notre Dame			0-1	1085	
9	Baylor				1-0	1057	
10	USC				1-0	898	
11	Oklahoma State			1-0	818	
12	Florida				1-0	763	
13	Utah				0-1	717	
14	Michigan State			1-0	690	
15	Miami				1-0	679	
16	Arkansas			1-0	678	
17	Pittsburgh			1-0	535	
18	NC State			1-0	513	
19	Wisconsin			1-0	476	
20	Kentucky			1-0	373	
21	BYU				1-0	266	
22	Ole Miss			1-0	254	
23	Wake Forest			1-0	246	
24	Tennessee			1-0	194	
25	Houston				1-0	143	
Oregon dropped like a bad date on prom night. ND only loses a few spots. Florida shoots up from not ranked to 12th.

Maybe I was missing graphics and I certainly wasn't paying attention to preseason polls all that much, but did Florida go from unranked to #12 after beating an unranked LSU by the skin of their teeth?

Was LSU ranked going into that game?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe I was missing graphics and I certainly wasn't paying attention to preseason polls all that much, but did Florida go from unranked to #12 after beating an unranked LSU by the skin of their teeth?

Florida beat Utah, but I don't know how you jump them up to 12 from unranked

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

gently caress I'm a moron. Apologies to both Florida fan bases.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They should absolutely be ranking Florida way higher after that game. Preseason rankings are poo poo. There should be wild swings in the first few weeks. Florida and Utah had the best game of the week.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mike_V posted:

well they dropped Utah to 13 so they had to put Florida 1 spot ahead of them

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

What's the last time a team ranked in the top 5 defeated another team ranked in the top 5 and then dropped in the polls?

Yea, that’s a rare one. I guess scoring points still matters to human voters.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yea, that’s a rare one. I guess scoring points still matters to human voters.

Just kind of funny that they rank the two teams 2 and 5, #2 wins by 11 points and the voters go “hm, would like to have seen more.” (I know it’s really more about them being really impressed with Georgia, probably rightfully)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

but did Florida go from unranked to #12 after beating an unranked LSU by the skin of their teeth?

OH MY GOD :argh:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

as an FSU fan im equally insulted

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Grittybeard posted:

did Florida go from unranked to #12 after beating an unranked LSU by the skin of their teeth?

Greta: How dare you?!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

I had completely forgotten that Bo was at Oregon now so when the game started I did have to do a double take a laugh a little.

Regarding Penix he was committed to Tennessee at one point then Pruitt hired Tyson Helton and then told Penix to beat it so that they could bring in JT Shrout instead. "who?" you say?

Well he's the QB at Colorado now

I remember that guy, he was the For The Love Of God Not Guantanamo option that couldn't ever actually beat out Guantanamo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

I remember that guy, he was the For The Love Of God Not Guantanamo option that couldn't ever actually beat out Guantanamo

Yeah him and 5* Harrison Bailey who inexplicably sucked, transferred and apparently still sucks

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

Good typo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Like it says, watch Robby Ashford
https://twitter.com/NathanKing247/status/1566447890607775746

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Like I said I apologize to all of you profusely, I was just washed over by so much football this weekend that my brain broke is the only thing I can say.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
After the roller coaster of Mauer/Shrout/Guarantano/Harrison Bailey, I am so happy the Vols have Hendon Hooker and an apparently serviceable Joe Milton, with another inbound 5* in Iamaleava.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I forgot all about Harrison Bailey, holy poo poo lol

Where is he playing now?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I forgot all about Harrison Bailey, holy poo poo lol

Where is he playing now?

He’s a backup at UNLV

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ok, so what number is Ashford? I don’t know who anybody is or who to look for.

E: #9?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ok, so what number is Ashford? I don’t know who anybody is or who to look for.

E: #9?
Yeah, the QB who hands off to Tank, goes out of frame and then streaks back in to clobber a guy way downfield and give him poo poo for it also.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah, the QB who hands off to Tank, goes out of frame and then streaks back in to clobber a guy way downfield and give him poo poo for it also.

Oh poo poo, I thought that was a WR

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

:thejoke:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They should absolutely be ranking Florida way higher after that game. Preseason rankings are poo poo. There should be wild swings in the first few weeks. Florida and Utah had the best game of the week.

Man good for the pollsters. More wild swings at the beginning of the season should be the norm. But I didn't think they'd be aggressive enough with it to put UF all the way up to 12. (I called 16 in the GDT)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
In the week 1 - week 2 transition you can often rely on a critical mass of voters going "well it'd look dumb if I ranked team a below team b that they just beat so I'll put them one spot above" since there's nothing to craft a different narrative out of yet

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Should be able to fill the space of Herbstreit and the old man when they leave

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1567546372945068034?s=20&t=ppO1LG_tIq_gSUZ2VBNFxg

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Tired: Recruiting from Texas/LA/Floridia

Wired: Fukkin Japanese sumo stables

https://twitter.com/redditcfb/status/1567495406224826370

日本は誰にも演じられていない

for context, Fujitsu Frontiers are probably the top team in the Japanese top American football league which I think is either semi-pro or all the players are "employees" who show up to the Fujitsu office once a year but otherwise full-time athletes, as has been tradition in Japanese pro sports for a long while. If he was at that university, he probably has decent enough high school credits/grades to be an international student, but it's gonna take either him getting the money to be a walk-on or somebody at a west coast G5 throwing a real gamble on a former sumo wrestler who'd be at best a sawed-off O- or D-lineman.

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, NCAA or sumo is a pretty easy decision. If you don't make it in football at least you have a degree to fall back on. If you spend 4 years in sumo and don't make the top ranks, guys are basically dependent on the equivalent of boosters to hook them up with jobs.

I don't think this guy was in a sumo heya at the time but in the 'sumo club' at a sports university, so also on track for a college degree, but still.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dabo got paaaaaaid

No money for players etc

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

After the roller coaster of Mauer/Shrout/Guarantano/Harrison Bailey, I am so happy the Vols have Hendon Hooker and an apparently serviceable Joe Milton, with another inbound 5* in Iamaleava.

Tayven Jackson is a 4* and apparently looking pretty good but I doubt he ever sees the field in any serviceable manner because of what you said

Oh we also have Heath Shuler's kid, Navy

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tayven Jackson is a 4* and apparently looking pretty good but I doubt he ever sees the field in any serviceable manner because of what you said

Oh we also have Heath Shuler's kid, Navy

Yeah Shuler played last week, he went 0-1 for -18 yards lol

downout
Jul 6, 2009

That's beautiful! Stroud had a good one like that against ND, hand off to RB and then jumped out in front and made blocks.

I can't find a video of it, might have to watch the recap and find it :lmao:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Guess we'll see if Arizona is a real football team this week or if SDSU had just really fallen off. I had almost forgotten the home and home with Mississippi state that byrne had set up.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

downout posted:

That's beautiful! Stroud had a good one like that against ND, hand off to RB and then jumped out in front and made blocks.

I can't find a video of it, might have to watch the recap and find it :lmao:

here it is, timestamp like 4:13. Stround only gets a 5/10 on this effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TimnEbOz_zo&t=252s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

harperdc posted:

for context, Fujitsu Frontiers are probably the top team in the Japanese top American football league which I think is either semi-pro or all the players are "employees" who show up to the Fujitsu office once a year but otherwise full-time athletes, as has been tradition in Japanese pro sports for a long while. If he was at that university, he probably has decent enough high school credits/grades to be an international student, but it's gonna take either him getting the money to be a walk-on or somebody at a west coast G5 throwing a real gamble on a former sumo wrestler who'd be at best a sawed-off O- or D-lineman.

I don't think this guy was in a sumo heya at the time but in the 'sumo club' at a sports university, so also on track for a college degree, but still.

at just over 6' and just under 300lbs, I think his ultimate destination is going to be DT/NT where you can use that lower leverage well. It seems like he's trying to make the transition via not going state-side, so that's interesting. I bet he could walk-on somewhere fairly easily, though, if his grades are good enough to land an international scholarship.