Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brian Kelly strikes me as the kind of guy that has very strong opinions about Biden cancelling student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

What an rear end in a top hat.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Bobby Knight actually won stuff and it was still bullshit when he treated beat writers like this. The clap back was well-earned; kudos to that dude.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1567317224376918017?t=k_EfMtwHaP0B6658LjvKWw&s=19

Dude transfers from FCS to the SEC and tears his ACL on his second touch of his first game. He is already a 6th year super senior but sounds like he will apply for a medical redshirt and 7th year.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Seems a little harsh of that writer, but if you’re going to come to town as the new guy, put out a performance like that, and then very first thing make fun of the media, you’re not gonna win many friends, and are sure as hell not gonna last long.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

One could also argue that Brian Kelly is a bad human being compared to other coaches, which ups the ante quite a bit.

Jeremy Hill raped a 14 year old girl and Miles still signed him. Then Hill committed and unprovoked assault on a guy outside a bar, which was caught on camera (sucker punches the dude, knocks him out, then high fives someone) and Miles let the PLAYERS vote on whether to let him back on the team. He also apparently spent a lot of time trying to get female students to gently caress him.

Orgeron covered up rape allegations against Guice and told the football team member whose girlfriend Guice raped while she was incapacitated at a party not to be upset because “everyone’s girlfriend sleeps with other people.”

I don’t think you can really say that Kelly is any more of a piece of poo poo than the guys that came before him, he just doesn’t hide it behind some bullshit folksy charm.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Seems a little harsh of that writer, but if you’re going to come to town as the new guy, put out a performance like that, and then very first thing make fun of the media, you’re not gonna win many friends, and are sure as hell not gonna last long.

https://twitter.com/38godfrey/status/1567322689643094016

Oh but a beat writer can’t be two minutes late. Big time “we’ll be here long after you’re gone” kind of energy from the LSU press corps.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

harperdc posted:

https://twitter.com/38godfrey/status/1567322689643094016

Oh but a beat writer can’t be two minutes late. Big time “we’ll be here long after you’re gone” kind of energy from the LSU press corps.

I am struggling to figure out how arriving at 11:57 AM makes a person late for a NOON press conference.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

I. M. Gei posted:

I am struggling to figure out how arriving at 11:57 AM makes a person late for a NOON press conference.

It is in Coughlin Time

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think you can really say that Kelly is any more of a piece of poo poo than the guys that came before him, he just doesn’t hide it behind some bullshit folksy charm.

Yeah I meant he's a piece of crap against the backdrop of all college head coaches, but if we're specifically talking LSU he's pretty staid although he does have an accidental bodycount.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 7, 2022

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Warbird posted:

That’s a bit more within reason. I’ve been debating going to the Bama/Vol game as it’s up this way this year but I’m not sure I can make it work unless I leave the Mrs. and baby at home. Would love to take my father-in-law to the game as he’s never been to one, but I doubt that will happen.

i gotta say, getting three lower bowl tickets as a student for $55 is one hell of a perk and i'm gonna miss it when i'm gone in three years

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I meant he's a piece of crap against the backdrop of all college head coaches, but if we're specifically talking LSU he's pretty staid although he does have an accidental bodycount.

The funny thing is Kelly was brought in partially to clean up the image of the program after the title IX poo poo from the Miles and O years. If he somehow manages to not get popped for enabling sexual assault and having players regularly beating the poo poo out of people outside of Tigerland bars he will be a marked improvement from the ADs perspective, no matter how much of a smarmy dickhead he is. Provided, of course, that he wins football games.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think the other point Godfrey mentioned on SZD about the Kelly hiring is that the boosters wanted somebody a bit more country club than Da Coach O and more refined than Miles after that all went south.

sure sounds like they got exactly what they wanted.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

are you one of the lucky ones who never had some rear end in a top hat boss tell you "if you're on time you're late"

many coaches have personalities like that but then again at least they aren't trying to pull it while managing the backroom of a suburban Target

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
plus now the players at least get paid

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Jeremy Hill raped a 14 year old girl and Miles still signed him. Then Hill committed and unprovoked assault on a guy outside a bar, which was caught on camera (sucker punches the dude, knocks him out, then high fives someone) and Miles let the PLAYERS vote on whether to let him back on the team. He also apparently spent a lot of time trying to get female students to gently caress him.

Orgeron covered up rape allegations against Guice and told the football team member whose girlfriend Guice raped while she was incapacitated at a party not to be upset because “everyone’s girlfriend sleeps with other people.”

I mean, two people are dead because Brian Kelly is an rear end in a top hat, so I'd argue that's slightly worse.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

are you one of the lucky ones who never had some rear end in a top hat boss tell you "if you're on time you're late"

many coaches have personalities like that but then again at least they aren't trying to pull it while managing the backroom of a suburban Target

I had a lot of coaches that have used the "If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late. If you're late, you're forgotten" bit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, two people are dead because Brian Kelly is an rear end in a top hat, so I'd argue that's slightly worse.

different kinds of bad from a respectability perspective

dj durkin keeps getting work despite much more directly and recently being responsible for the death of someone he was directly entrusted to protect; if you can still be hired after that, one falling scissor lift and “protecting your guys 😤😤😤” is minor in comparison

he should’ve been fired 12 years ago but cream and bastards rise

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Didn’t Kelly lead off the press conference about Lizzy Seeburg killing herself with a joke about how he was surprised the tribune still had so many reporters after all the layoffs?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

shyduck posted:

The cajun accent didn't last long huh

That coward should have doubled down and come out wearing only overalls and a toothpick in his mouth.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Tired: Recruiting from Texas/LA/Floridia

Wired: Fukkin Japanese sumo stables

https://twitter.com/redditcfb/status/1567495406224826370

日本は誰にも演じられていない

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Warbird posted:

Tired: Recruiting from Texas/LA/Floridia

Wired: Fukkin Japanese sumo stables

How has this not happened before?

I suppose holding might be an issue but a lot of other stuff seems to fit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fun fact, this may work both ways. A good buddy of mine was OLine for LSU in the early 2010s and he and all his buddies were just the biggest goddamn weebs. Seems to come with the job.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don’t think O or Miles deserve credit because the rape victims they ignored didn’t commit suicide. They’re all lovely people in pretty much the exact same ways, willing to do basically anything to win football games.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

He’s such an egomaniac. It’s wild.

My bad vibe detector went off when he let a student volunteer fall out of the troposphere because recording practice in a tempest is very very important.

That was him? Ah gently caress. He has a body count.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The rise of NFL salaries is a big reason why there aren't as many Polynesian sumo wrestlers as there used to be. In the 80's and 90's, there were a lot of Polynesian people in the top ranks of sumo. But NFL salaries have exploded since the 90's while Sumo wresters' salaries have remained relatively stagnant, so now if you're an enormous 18-year-old Samoan guy who wants to pursue athletics, it makes a lot more sense to go into American football. Living in a somewhat less alien culture and not being subject to the hardships of being a low-ranked guy in a sumo stable are other pluses.

Also, in a way that I guess is kinda similar to the old NCAA/NFL divide, in sumo, you don't actually get paid a salary until you're in like the top 10% of the ranks, until then you just get a living stipend.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

plus now the players at least get paid

When did this happen? That’s awesome 😎

Is it the “likeness of player” stuff for video games and what not?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ornery and Hornery posted:

When did this happen? That’s awesome 😎

Is it the “likeness of player” stuff for video games and what not?

Yeah, as of last year, players are allowed to make money off of their name, image, and likeness. Between that and transfer rules being loosened up, it's reshaped the game a lot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I love that the NIL/transfer stuff seems to be hitting the assholes the hardest. They no longer have mountains of leverage over the students and the students are just straight-up walking away.

Anyway I assume that's why LSU is bad now and Clemson is no longer cream of the crop. No one burst my bubble.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

harperdc posted:

I think the other point Godfrey mentioned on SZD about the Kelly hiring is that the boosters wanted somebody a bit more country club than Da Coach O and more refined than Miles after that all went south.

And they'll be the first ones lining up to chip in on the $70 million it'll take to buy out Kelly too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

How has this not happened before?

I suppose holding might be an issue but a lot of other stuff seems to fit.

Are they nimble enough to handle these linemen and linebackers that have like 4.4 speed?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

harperdc posted:

We don't want the caddies. We want Judge Elihu Smails

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Les Miles looks like the fellows I've seen at Georgia country clubs though. Maybe Louisiana is different?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sash! posted:

Les Miles looks like the fellows I've seen at Georgia country clubs though. Maybe Louisiana is different?

Do the Georgia Les Miles look-alikes also act like him?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

"if you're on time, you're late!" is something I've heard countless times from coaches and sports teams

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Saw that Guy Morris died this week at age 71, after a 2016 Alzheimers diagnosis. He played 15 years in the NFL, but as a coach his legacy is probably being on the receiving end of this play as Kentucky's coach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iogaDJ0Y3E

...and breaking an 18 year non-winning streak in the Battle of the Brazos in the middle of an otherwise unsuccessful tenure as Baylor's coach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ia_Ws9vHmE

...and the time that he applauded his players stealing all the student newspapers on campus as the coach of Texas A&M Commerce.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 7, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Saw that Guy Morris died this week at age 71, after a 2016 Alzheimers diagnosis. He played 15 years in the NFL, but as a coach his legacy is probably being on the receiving end of this play as Kentucky's coach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iogaDJ0Y3E

lol "Fans are up on the goalposts. I don't know why."

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I think my favorite part of the transfer portal is all the “Hey I remember that guy” that we get with QBs now in places where they seemingly make no sense:

Spencer Rattler at South Carolina!
Bo Nix at Oregon!

It’s really good in situations like Peyton Ramsey transfers to northwestern because he got beaten out by Michael Penix then Penix transfers to Washington, or whatever the hell happened with Daniels and Slovis at USC.

Tell me this is worse than me having to sit through three goddamned years of the Steve Bellasari experience. Would Georgia Tech have had to start Reggie Ball for eight years under the current system?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

lol "Fans are up on the goalposts. I don't know why."

It's kind of hosed up to call a game Kentucky lost "the Bluegrass Miracle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I had completely forgotten that Bo was at Oregon now so when the game started I did have to do a double take a laugh a little.

Regarding Penix he was committed to Tennessee at one point then Pruitt hired Tyson Helton and then told Penix to beat it so that they could bring in JT Shrout instead. "who?" you say?

Well he's the QB at Colorado now