Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So Pantheon is a really good sci-fi thriller that recently came out on AMC plus. Its based on short stories by Ken Liu. The show pays attentions to the details, and its apparent that the show did its research. The animation also looks very good (Not surprising considering its being done by Titmouse Studios.) Even if you usually avoid animated stuff, I recommend watching this. Its a high quality drama, and the writing feels on par with other AMC shows.

You can watch the first episode for free on amazon prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I watched the first episode. It's very slow. And there's an annoying amount of text to read. But I'll give it at least one more episode to win me over.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I watched the first episode. It's very slow. And there's an annoying amount of text to read. But I'll give it at least one more episode to win me over.

I personally think the slow pacing is the show's strength, but also Yes, things very much escalate in the next episode. It even the mentions the end of the world at the start of the first episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

After the third episode, I'm glad there's less text to read now, but it's still absurdly slow. I am curious to see where they're going with this, but I'm starting to suspect the answer is "nowhere" and that we'll get to the end of the season and nothing will have actually resolved in any meaningful way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It has two seasons, so you're not really wrong. They're in no rush.

I started doing more sci-fi stuff by E06. The entirety of S2, uh- I am very good at drawing debris and they got a lot of mileage outta me.

I am pretty bummed by the quality that's being uploaded, ngl. It's much lower-res than it should be and the audio's wonk. This was a pretty pricey little show, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I read the short stories this series is based on and they're not great, fine but not great.

If they incorporate some of the other stories by Ken Liu that are in the same collection that they were reprinted in I could see some strong stuff emerging but as is the three originals are a bit lacklustre as a base.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 11, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I love how David's prison is basically the metaverse, and Maddie even has a metaverse-esque avatar

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
As promised:

https://twitter.com/samBkays/status/1570813117847998464?s=20&t=ZrtE-mGeiwsY8kLmDm0WZQ

For context, we did a comics jam in GBS for a hideously horny Brazilian Megaman comic: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924268&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1

When staff was asked to contribute comic covers for the comic shop, I retooled a cover I made for said thread slightly and it got in. So there's a bit of SA on the show now. :)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Whelp the plot is really moving now. I want to watch the next episode right now. It seems like all the subplots are going to converge in it..

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So, uh. This show is incredible? It's like Devs but if Devs wasn't as completely high on it's own farts.

I went in totally blind and that probably helped, because I feel like there's at this point a stigma associated with stories about brain uploads -- stuff from Lawnmower Man to Transcendence has sort of poisoned the well.

Until this? I don't know, it's the first time I've seen this sort of attention to detail, everything feels well observed and lived in. I knew from the like first 10 seconds when I saw the fake NERV logo that this show was maybe for real. It absolutely wears influences on it's sleeve, but all the nerd culture references are well integrated and seamless -- the dad literally looking at 4chan and the corporation using something that looks absolutely identical to Slack both read as naturalistic to me. It's not referential, it's just the way it is. Nerd scenery? Not sure why it hits different exactly, even the GiTS hand splitting thing played right because it fit the character.

Or maybe I'm a crazy person because apparently no one else is aware this even exists.

E: to expand a little, I also appreciate the slow build here. I think there's been a great sense of mounting tension as strings play out and start to tie together. None of the characters really act like idiots and even the technobabble is... Mostly believable? I have some issues with the amount of bandwidth they'd need to do some of this stuff but that's a high level Degrasse Tyson well acshully meaningless take.

It's rare to have an animated show like this where the budget isn't just there for big combat scenes, a ton of attention was clearly spent on facial expressions and body language.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 11, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
While I'm sad the release has been so botched (no advertisement/ episodes 6,7, and 8 were released out of order 3 weeks in a row/ episode 7's audio got garbled), I'm really happy with the audience response. It definitely has its problems, but I was so thrilled to work on a show that is an actual adult animation rather than horny teen "adult" animation.

I really hope that now that we're on the last episode of season 1 next week, some big YTers will run a review on it as a whole and bring it some attention. It would be such a dream to have more animated dramas like this and Arcane.

There is a S2, by the way. Design crew finished on it in February of this year and we were getting retakes on S2 up until the deadline. All AMC has to do is air it, 'cause it done.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, I watched episode 7 last week not realizing I was missing an entire episode. I thought the pacing was a bit weird, and I was confused why they suddenly knew Chanda. I guess the opening of it would have been more impactful if you know why the events were happening.

I'm really glad its already finished because I wonder if season 2 would have gotten greenlit if it didn't.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wonder the same thing. It's weird, because during production you could tell it was somebody's baby. There was always money and time for whatever we needed to do, we were always fully staffed, had a lot of very well-established talent... A ship never sails that smoothly without a lot of care, and that was the smoothest sail I've had. I never felt the floor fall out from under it, either.

I'd love to know what the hell happened in the last 6 months.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've really been enjoying this. It's tense, it's exciting, great performances and fun to look at.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Going into this knowing actually nothing, from the first five minutes I thought it was going to be cyber Percy Jackson and I'm real glad it's not.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Watched the pilot and I think I'll be watching more. I never thought I'd see an animated show that talked about the dining philosophers problem, let alone mutexes, but here we are.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The dining philosopher's problem is definitely over my head because I can't figure out how Renee's solution is invalid and, if anything, not more functional than the Cary's. Or maybe I blame the allegory.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Man, I hope season 2 doesn't take too long to release. I really want to watch the second part.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Okay so how do we now get more people to watch this goodass show? I'm ecstatic that S2 is in the can already, that it's not cancelled already might be a big selling point.

Tiggum posted:

I am curious to see where they're going with this, but I'm starting to suspect the answer is "nowhere" and that we'll get to the end of the season and nothing will have actually resolved in any meaningful way.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'resolved' but :lol:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Going from reddit, most people are stumbling across it on pirating sites. Which, hey, I'm just glad they get to enjoy it. Not like they could find it otherwise.

Hopefully now that S1 is complete, the non-pirating crowd will use those free trials to binge the show. Influencers are probably our best bet. The only way the show is getting more publicity at this point is either word of mouth or an Annie or Emmy bid. I severely doubt the latter, but awards shows are political and I'm a complete dumbass in terms of industry politics. I'm just here to sneak furbies into the background.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'resolved' but :lol:
Yeah, it certainly got going once it got going. But it started really slow. I'm not sure I'd have got past episode two if I hadn't seen this thread; it's not like anyone I know in real life was watching it, and those first three episodes are long and slow and don't give any real indication that there's going to be a worthwhile payoff.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Part of the problem is that it's a hard sell when I just describe it to someone; I've never been a salesperson. That it's animated is already a barrier to some, that it's best described as a 'techno thriller' is another, because what does that even mean?

I think the trailer is pretty spoilery and shows it's hand too much, but then again I particularly liked the slow build and reveals with everyone stumbling around in the dark for the first arc. I was gonna link it here but man I just rewatched it and a solid chunk is from the very last episode, just tipping the hand right out onto the table.

Trying to keep spoilers light in the first page because maybe someday this thread will be in the hundreds. :unsmith:

Honestly the most important move is out of our control, and that's to get it off AMC+ and onto something people... have.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've seen a lot of folks compare it to Severance which, DANG, I'm happy to have worked on any show compared to Severance.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Tried the first 2 eps but I didn't really feel very into it. It seems kinda, I don't know, basic? It has the generic western animation style that I'm not a fan of and the sci-fi concepts are not developed enough to hold my interest. It has a cartoony portrayal of AI that I find irritating. It's also supposedly an adult show but 2 of the main POV characters are teenagers and I just wasn't that into their drama.

And yeah, the audio's kinda bad, but I think a part of it is just weird performances. The main characters were fine, but some of the side ones felt off, I can't put my finger on it but it's noticeable.

Overall it's not a bad show, but just not for me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NmareBfly posted:

Honestly the most important move is out of our control, and that's to get it off AMC+ and onto something people... have.

I'll speak up as someone keeping a vague eye on the thread, and second this point because I've thought the OP makes the show sound interesting (mostly for being a Ken Liu adaption, I suppose) for months since I clicked the OP, but the show isn't on any service I have access to in Ireland and I'm not going to get another new service just to see it. I'm already subbed to Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix, YouTube, Dropout and probably a few other services I forgot about off hand without adding more that I generally won't watch much, if ever. As is, I barely look at Netflix or Prime, and it's mostly my mother using my Netflix account. If I see it show up on a service I have, then I'll definitely watch it, but I'm just not going to pay more specifically for it when I know almost nothing about it beyond that it sounds good.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 4, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Working my way through this very very slowly. Love Maddie's enormous hulk friend, who owns.

grate deceiver posted:

Tried the first 2 eps but I didn't really feel very into it. It seems kinda, I don't know, basic? It has the generic western animation style that I'm not a fan of and the sci-fi concepts are not developed enough to hold my interest. It has a cartoony portrayal of AI that I find irritating. It's also supposedly an adult show but 2 of the main POV characters are teenagers and I just wasn't that into their drama.

And yeah, the audio's kinda bad, but I think a part of it is just weird performances. The main characters were fine, but some of the side ones felt off, I can't put my finger on it but it's noticeable.

Overall it's not a bad show, but just not for me.

FWIW, I thought the show kicked off with its third episode. Obviously you've probably seen enough to know whether it was for you or not, but I thought it clicked more obviously into gear once it moved through its first act. And I wouldn't necessarily call it a teen drama, so much as a drama with teens in it. The family stuff with the dead dad was a bit uninvolving though, I won't lie.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
binged this show over the last two days, and while I'm a bit of hard scifi snob (if it doesn't have math on the first page ala Greg Egan don't bother :smug:), I really liked it and I'm looking forward to S2. Thanks for your work on it, Das Boo.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I checked it out based on Das Boo because they are generally solid and I really enjoyed it. It's got strong anime minus anime energy, if that makes sense. It's a very fun sci-fi romp. I hope S2 keeps getting crazier because a lot of it didn't need to be a cartoon. The last two episodes started to take advantage of animation where you can draw anything. Like, people sitting around and talking, you can do that with people. Drone bombing, aircraft carriers, taking over Times Square are all theoretically possible but much more cost-effective when animated. Weird online space is whatever.

I like it and I hope it leans into weirdness.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’m also going to chime in to say I just binged this and loved it. Eps 2-6 just left me in agony to watch the next ones.

The animation is great and I love they took the time to do the subtle visuals.

I went in blind and couldn’t have been happier for the ride. Can’t wait for season 2.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
God loving drat it all.

https://twitter.com/LaserSinger/status/1612211708331986944?t=MLd7w43km9owPlXRAWBzug&s=19

That's what I get for telling myself only Zaslav is hosed enough to boot finished shows. There went a year of my life.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Das Boo posted:

God loving drat it all.

https://twitter.com/LaserSinger/status/1612211708331986944?t=MLd7w43km9owPlXRAWBzug&s=19

That's what I get for telling myself only Zaslav is hosed enough to boot finished shows. There went a year of my life.

You have my condolences, this sucks. :(

Hopefully it gets shopped around? Anyone got an uncle at Netflix?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
mother fucker!!!

at least finish the drat show

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

They made the second season already, apparently, but it's still being pulled

I felt anxious seeing more posts in this thread. :negative:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anticheese posted:

They made the second season already, apparently, but it's still being pulled

I felt anxious seeing more posts in this thread. :negative:
Wait... that's what I thought, that the second season was already confirmed. What the gently caress!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, it's either done or was extremely close to it. Design wrapped on it February '22 and color in spring. Recording was finished, boards were shipped, retakes had been coming in... I should be less surprised, but it was kind of a known thing on the show that there was always money available- it was somebody's baby and the answer was always "yes" to whatever was needed production-wise. Then again, something had gone severely awry with promotion, so I guess that should have clued me in that the power had shifted somewhere. I still hoped it would pick up as a binge watch.

S2 went further into the UI world, so I got to make some neat stylized layouts for it that I'm sad will probably never be seen. Also sad the background Furby gag won't reach fruition. These showed up in weird places S2:

Not sure if the fine art Furby made it in, but the moon Furby and the Israeli Furby definitely did.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

How many people on the production staff would have access to the final product? The chances are very slim, but I'm wondering if a leak is even possible or if its going to be buried forever because some lovely executive won't get credit for it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

God damnit. :smith:

I was really looking forward to S2. Still am. Hope springs eternal.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm not sure- Our whole project was remote, so I didn't get to see who had access to what. That's an on-site perk. :v:

I have a meeting today with the S1 AD, so it's sure to come up. I know he's friends with one of the exec producers, so I can ask if he's heard anything. Though I suspect he would have mentioned it last week if he had any sort of heads up. Dude is a wonderfully terrible liar.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also, lol, it was totally an exec shift:

quote:

In November 2022, AMC Networks CEO Christina Spade abruptly departed the company, after less than three months in the role. James L. Dolan was then named interim executive chairman by the board of directors shortly thereafter, as the network warned of “significant cutbacks.” Dolan is slated to remain in his new role until March 6, 2023 or until the board finds a new CEO, whichever comes first.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2023/tv/news/pantheon-canceled-season-two-amc-plus-1235481759/amp/

A temporary exec shift, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You’re the second person I’ve seen working on the show talking about it in my usual haunts unless you’re also on the Action Button discord and that’s you