Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Not me! Any idea what department? Due to our remote work, I'd probably only recognize them if they were on design or production teams. We had very little crossover with boards/writing/audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah yeah, they were a boarder so that tracks

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hey, got a ray of hope: AMC is shopping. There's a good chance it'll end up on a more accessible provider.

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary

Das Boo posted:

Hey, got a ray of hope: AMC is shopping. There's a good chance it'll end up on a more accessible provider.

That's good-ish news, and better than a sharp stick in the eye. I hope it finds a home; I've found myself really liking the stuff you work on.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

you ve given me hope....I dont know if thats a good thing

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
god drat amc you dense motherfuckers

is this show for real scrubbed from all legitimate sources? it should be a moral imperative to :filez: this show and distribute it to as many people possible cause what a hella cool cartoon. haven't had that part of my brain tickled since westworld season 1

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Booty Pageant posted:

god drat amc you dense motherfuckers

is this show for real scrubbed from all legitimate sources? it should be a moral imperative to :filez: this show and distribute it to as many people possible cause what a hella cool cartoon. haven't had that part of my brain tickled since westworld season 1

The hosed up part is that AMC probably isn't being dense. The new CEO just gains nothing from the show being successful, so they deliberately buried and killed it.

Somebody who worked on it posted on Reddit that its supposedly still getting shopped around.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4zqd3k3yg

how did this not get posted here, it's been up for a week and I just found out. I am mad at all of you

(Coming to amazon prime on oct 15th... in AU and NZ specifically? :shrug:)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 27, 2023

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hell yeah! I thought this was just gonna get tossed down the memory hole.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Season 2 released and it is so, so loving good. As a hard scifi aficionado it's better than the book and has really interesting ideas displayed in a cool way. 2048/1024 stars

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well poo poo, the software I use to track new episodes didn't pick up on it for some reason. I'm so hyped to finally finish it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Oh hell yeah! Daring to hope when I saw new posts here paid off!

E: wait there's a book?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Anticheese posted:

Oh hell yeah! Daring to hope when I saw new posts here paid off!

E: wait there's a book?

https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Girl-Other-Stories/dp/1982134038

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Das Boo, I don't know if you're allowed to tell me if someone or someone's on the production was a big Greg Egan fan or not but if not ya'll should be, specifically (thematic ending spoilers for s2) Diaspora because goddamn it was like watching the anime of my favorite book of his.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So I binged all 8 episodes. Its really good, and I'm glad it didn't get completely buried. I really appreciate how far it was willing to go. Not too many shows have a 100,000 year time skip. Its definitely one of my all time favorite tv shows.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just watched about half of the first episode of season two and I'm completely lost. I've basically forgotten everything about this show. I sort of remember bits and pieces but not enough to follow any of it. Is there a decent recap anywhere?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Looking forward to watching season 2. Quick question: does it have an ending or is it another cliff-hanger?
Season 2 not being dumped down the "lost media" memory hole was lucky enough, so it seems risky if they're banking on more.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Looking forward to watching season 2. Quick question: does it have an ending or is it another cliff-hanger?
Season 2 not being dumped down the "lost media" memory hole was lucky enough, so it seems risky if they're banking on more.

No, it was already a fully finished series, which is why it was so lovely that they weren't going to air the 2nd season.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

It does not end on a cliffhanger.

Loved Season 2! I’ve gotta process it some more but it was fantastic.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just finished the first season, holy poo poo what a ride, one of the best scifi shows in ages. Can't wait to start the second season.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Just finished Season 2 and it was good but seemed very rushed at the end. It did have very existential vibes but I assume they wrapped it the way they did because they didn't think they'd get a third season?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Just finished Season 2 and it was good but seemed very rushed at the end. It did have very existential vibes but I assume they wrapped it the way they did because they didn't think they'd get a third season?

According to staff, here even, S2 was done almost when S1 aired and it sat for months because of executive nonsense. I gotta assume the last two episodes was S3 or possibly even S4 but we know for a fact that they're killing this show so gently caress it, let's go for it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Just started this. Finished episode 3. Absolutely incredible so far, although just about everything about the voice work in the first episode felt really strange. But yeah, wow.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Was not expecting this to get a second season, dang.

2nd Amendment posted:

It's got strong anime minus anime energy, if that makes sense. It's a very fun sci-fi romp. I hope S2 keeps getting crazier because a lot of it didn't need to be a cartoon.

Americanime? It looks kinda cheap to me but I don't mind at all, love that sci-fi shows like this are even getting renewed. Voice work is.....fine enough haha.

Is there some sort of industry term for this style of animation?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This anime did not look cheap, there's a lot of expressive facial animation and locations and stuff. Not a lot of that stuff anime does where every fourth or fifth shot is some still landscape with CGI smoke being piped over the top of it.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Great show! Was refreshing to see it go much further with it's ideas than I expected. Was worried it was going the usual direction of stories that deal with mortality - that death is a good thing and only through death can you appreciate life, I personally hate that narrative.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Finished Season 1. Goddamn. Criminal that the score isn't available, either. Kinda want that cover of Don't Dream It's Over, too.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mr. Roboto being used for that montage was an obvious, but still brilliant choice I adore three complete watches in

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Finished Season 1. Goddamn. Criminal that the score isn't available, either. Kinda want that cover of Don't Dream It's Over, too.

It's on YouTube :ssh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This anime did not look cheap, there's a lot of expressive facial animation and locations and stuff. Not a lot of that stuff anime does where every fourth or fifth shot is some still landscape with CGI smoke being piped over the top of it.

Confirming that it was surprisingly not cheap considering its treatment. Titmouse is known to not be the best paying studio, but I was advised to push for my rates because this thing had "AMC money" and any time something was asked for, it was granted. Which is super unusual. I'd hazard a guess this was someone's baby before the 3 month CEO popped in and wrecked the launch.

And I can finally share these S2E7 designs!:

I was asked to concept some bits for the UIverse that another artist could build in Blender. Note: I need to loving learn Blender.
Pretty sure there was an ESO event in Vvardenfell around the same time, so I was high on Telvanni architecture.

I wasn't exactly sure if there would be multi-plane movement in these shots, so I drew through loving everything. There was a heart and weird face buried in this one:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Confirming that it was surprisingly not cheap considering its treatment. Titmouse is known to not be the best paying studio, but I was advised to push for my rates because this thing had "AMC money" and any time something was asked for, it was granted. Which is super unusual. I'd hazard a guess this was someone's baby before the 3 month CEO popped in and wrecked the launch.

I was asked to concept some bits for the UIverse that another artist could build in Blender. Note: I need to loving learn Blender.
Pretty sure there was an ESO event in Vvardenfell around the same time, so I was high on Telvanni architecture.

I wasn't exactly sure if there would be multi-plane movement in these shots, so I drew through loving everything. There was a heart and weird face buried in this one:

Neat! Thank you for sharing all this insider info in the thread.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

this show real good imo

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Where can I watch this? I'll probably just boot up one of those free streaming services but was hoping it was on Netflix or something.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

You can buy season 1 episodes on Amazon US, I think seasons 1 and 2 are included with Australian Amazon

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Das Boo posted:

That’s cool as gently caress, thanks for sharing, and great work on the show. The passion you guys had for it really shows. Hopefully more people will watch it now that it’s on Amazon.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Another artist from the show posted some of their design renders on instragram. https://www.instagram.com/p/CzEXQdkrq10/

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pantheon was hands-down the best sci-fi I've ever read or watched, better than The Foundation series or The Matrix.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Finished watching today. I'm not sure I can really think of any other sci-fi series I've seen that was this consistently good overall; I can think of a few that have made as good episodes as Pantheon has with the last episodes of season 2, but none come to mind where I've felt like every episode mattered. Its a loving shame that stupid legal bullshit means you can't watch this in most countries without jumping through some hoops or doing :filez:. I only have a few nitpicks or points of confusion (spoilers for last three episodes of season 2 stuff)

-The fight between Maddie and Mist feels a little contrived to get Caspian to upload. Like, yeah, I get that Mist isn't purely human and thus processes things differently from us, but its not exactly rocket science to figure out what to do regarding Stephen: kill him to save millions of people, and hash out the UI rights problem afterwards.

-Not a big fan of the UIs looking like avatars you'd put on in VR Chat. It was a little hard to take the admins seriously when they've shown up to the most important diplomatic crisis of the decade dressed as the Great and Powerful Oz, that blue fairy from Sleeping Beauty, and Zenyatta from Overwatch.

-Finally, what exactly is Maddie trying to do in regards to the end? Is she trying to get a normal life with her and Caspian started in one of the simulated universes, or looping the events of the series for some reason?

Still, these are nitpicks. Great stuff, I'm impressed by how good the animation got in the second season (kudos to you, Das Boo, and the other animators and artists!) and I'm also impressed by the fact that the people who wrote and directed the series together generally don't seem to have had backgrounds in sci-fi like this. I only recognized Michael Taylor from Deep Space Nine in the credits, everyone else has made stuff I've never heard of or worked on Adult Swim comedies like the Venture Bros.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The maddie that does it all is a ui, the flesh and blood maddie being long gone. Presumably she wants her life back, but if the version she enters is as close to the real thing as the real thing, then it would only end the same way, as she intends on forgetting what she has done. Unless she leaves a copy to make sure it doesn't? Maybe the one that goes to the galctic core after a perfect outcome is achieved, which seems more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

rewatching S1 and I'm glad Stephen being evil was foreshadowed by this terrible loving keyboard:

no good person uses a 1u shift, caps lock, or tab key