Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Collateral posted:

The maddie that does it all is a ui, the flesh and blood maddie being long gone. Presumably she wants her life back, but if the version she enters is as close to the real thing as the real thing, then it would only end the same way, as she intends on forgetting what she has done. Unless she leaves a copy to make sure it doesn't? Maybe the one that goes to the galctic core after a perfect outcome is achieved, which seems more likely.

I don't think Maddie and Caspian are abandoning their family. She didn't spend over 100,000 years to recreate her version of Caspian just to invalidate that by erasing his memory. I think this is more like a vacation for them, and they will somehow get their memories back after the last loop or she set up things so the loop won't repeat. Her father seemed to think she was coming back after a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Finally finished this show, holy crap what a ride. One of the best animated series ever made, and one of the best sci fi series ever made, all in one. This show takes its premise and goes to some extremely interesting places with it, then goes beyond those to even more interesting places, and then goes beyond THOSE. The Season 1 twist where it's revealed that Chanda leaked the tech to every major tech super power so they would start uploading people had me sitting shock up straight in my chair, and that's just the beginning of it.

Minor nitpick, I don't love the name, it's not terribly descriptive. I see what they were going for, but I think they could have chosen something that hinted more at the content.

Other thoughts:
I love that this show had a completely non judgemental teenage pregnancy, that wasn't played for shock value or downplayed. Just something that happened and they had to live with the consequences.
The Season 1 air gapped network hacking sequence was great.
Laurie Lowell should have gotten more screentime her character was great, but understandable that she couldn't stay in the story.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 6, 2023

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Does this pick up soon? I saw the glowing reviews in this thread, and I've watched the first couple episodes and it just seems kinda mediocre so far. And I'm afraid with the end of the second episode it's about to turn into an isekai or whatever they're called.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Phenotype posted:

Does this pick up soon? I saw the glowing reviews in this thread, and I've watched the first couple episodes and it just seems kinda mediocre so far. And I'm afraid with the end of the second episode it's about to turn into an isekai or whatever they're called.

It's not going to be an isekai, and yes, it picks up

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phenotype posted:

The first three episodes are really slow. It definitely picks up after that.

That said, I still haven't watched season two because I can't remember season one well enough to know who anyone is or what's going on (and I don't want to watch season one again) so I can't say whether it continues to be good or not.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Tiggum posted:

The first three episodes are really slow. It definitely picks up after that.

That said, I still haven't watched season two because I can't remember season one well enough to know who anyone is or what's going on (and I don't want to watch season one again) so I can't say whether it continues to be good or not.

They do a quick summary thing at the beginning of S2 that tells you most of what you need to know

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tokin opposition posted:

They do a quick summary thing at the beginning of S2 that tells you most of what you need to know

I watched half of the first episode and decided to stop because I had no idea who anyone was or what was going on. :shrug:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Finished Season 1! That was pretty good, although from skimming some of the stuff in here I thought it was going to go to much weirder places.

I especially loved what they did with the characterization. The abusive dad who actually loves his kid and was having a hard time being such a dick to everyone, the mom/daughter argument where the mom calmly states her feelings about her boundaries being breached, and insists that they talk it out and not just stay angry, the evil corporate exec who's actually driven from a place of love for his lost friend and actually gives the reigns to the cloned kid they'd been abusing for 18 years, the young girl who just does a dance for no reason while telling everyone the upload is finished. Everyone's so textured and real to a point that you don't often see from real life shows, let alone cartoons.

Also super glad this didn't get canceled! Really looking forward to seeing what the gently caress happens now that we're in full-fledged singularity mode.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Phenotype posted:

Finished Season 1! That was pretty good, although from skimming some of the stuff in here I thought it was going to go to much weirder places.

I especially loved what they did with the characterization. The abusive dad who actually loves his kid and was having a hard time being such a dick to everyone, the mom/daughter argument where the mom calmly states her feelings about her boundaries being breached, and insists that they talk it out and not just stay angry, the evil corporate exec who's actually driven from a place of love for his lost friend and actually gives the reigns to the cloned kid they'd been abusing for 18 years, the young girl who just does a dance for no reason while telling everyone the upload is finished. Everyone's so textured and real to a point that you don't often see from real life shows, let alone cartoons.

Also super glad this didn't get canceled! Really looking forward to seeing what the gently caress happens now that we're in full-fledged singularity mode.

S2 is out, although I think your only option is :filez: unless you happen to live in Australia or New Zealand and have a Prime account.

As to why this is, blame capitalism.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Everybody on the crew is in support of you :filez:ing it. We just want it seen.
One of us went and downloaded the whole 10 gigs of S2 in case it disappears again.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Das Boo posted:

One of us went and downloaded the whole 10 gigs of S2 in case it disappears again.

That's based, thanks 64 times

now to mash my keyboard for no reason:

aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZvbGRlci9tY0p5UkFSRCM5VGdZZFU2Wl9KY094Wnlzd1hmRS13

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Beware: There may be a UI that mines bitcoin hidden in that torrent.

Also, isn't cooling being effective in space like a myth due to the vacuum?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No numpad itself is a huge red flag.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Das Boo posted:

I didn't watch this show yet, but I wanted to say the newest trend of studios burying tons of projects sucks. I hope as many as possible do end up seeing your work.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Also want to jump in and say this was an amazing piece of scifi.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

tokin opposition posted:

S2 is out, although I think your only option is :filez: unless you happen to live in Australia or New Zealand and have a Prime account.

As to why this is, blame capitalism.

Wait is it not on US prime? What the gently caress why would they only license it for Oceania?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Talorat posted:

Wait is it not on US prime? What the gently caress why would they only license it for Oceania?

Capitalism!

The real-er answer is some bigwig CEO decided that it was better for the show to be a failure for tax purposes so they could write off the losses. They'd kinda hosed the show initially by showing it only on AMC+ originally, which approximately 3 people have.

As Das Boo said earlier, it sounds like the people who actually made the drat thing are open to you :filez: it.

Turns out killing one of the best shows to come out in recently memory with a base of fans trying to save $64 is a bit silly.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

The real-er answer is some bigwig CEO decided that it was better for the show to be a failure for tax purposes so they could write off the losses.

That’s so hosed up it literally makes me sick, people poured their blood sweat tears and HEART into this. Uhg.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Oh ma-a-n, I hope the show gets it's recognition at some point soon - people just need to see it :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Capitalism!

The real-er answer is some bigwig CEO decided that it was better for the show to be a failure for tax purposes so they could write off the losses. They'd kinda hosed the show initially by showing it only on AMC+ originally, which approximately 3 people have.

As Das Boo said earlier, it sounds like the people who actually made the drat thing are open to you :filez: it.

Turns out killing one of the best shows to come out in recently memory with a base of fans trying to save $64 is a bit silly.

On top of the inalienable right to all art and things that can be freely replicated humans are born with, if you're an American Citizen or a citizen of a country that has ever dealt with America in some capacity then you're actually double entitled to this media since your collective money has gone into these bastards' pockets. Essentially the taxpayers funded the thing, therefore it is your double right to see it through any means possible.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

Capitalism!

I don't think its some elaborate money saving scheme or whatever, despite what the CEO would want people to think. Its just that new CEOs see old projects as worthless to them, because they can't claim credit for its success. If they claim it was doomed to failure or a massive budget hog, they can show they are "saving money" by burying it. If it was just about greed, they wouldn't be burying it, because its already produced.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the fact that it aired at all means that it's not actually been turned into a one-time tax cut. The actual reason behind this thing is different, whatever it ends up being.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Just finished this. What a ride. The quality dips a little bit in Season 2 (going from 5/5 to 4.5/5, so, really it's barely worth noting) but I'm really quite disappointed that there was only sixteen episodes. And that never happens to me! I'm a relentless critic! It's an absolute travesty that this show has ended up thrown out to die, and it's a drat shame the score isn't available. My wife loved it, too.

That said, I'm not allowed to refer to posting on SA as 'cracking integrity' and nor am I allowed to adopt Stephen Holstrom's cadence and tone when discussing what we're going to have for dinner. Alas.

Talorat posted:

I have no idea what happened, but I'm guessing it is similar to when The Expanse was cancelled. The US/UK distribution rights might still be owned by AMC, which they may not want to sell to Amazon, but the Oceania rights may have never been organized, allowing Amazon to put it out there.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Started watching this after wrapping up some other surprisingly good recent animated series, only half way through S1 so far.

It definitely starts slow with the first 3 episodes, but I appreciate that the show took its time to ground the humanity of these characters in this very human show. I feel like I got to know the characters and their situations well enough, before things seem to be really going off with the sci-fi.

That said, had I not known it was a 3 episode introduction, I may have dropped off it in other circumstances, with my usual personal rule of letting shows have 3 episodes to grab my attention. Thanks to the word of mouth surrounding this show I guess, both for getting my sci-fi dork eyes on this show in the first place, and letting me know to stick through the slow start.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Loved this series, and will definitely check out the short stories later. Any other media similar to this anyone can recommend? I've got a couple.

Charles Stross: Accelerando. Won a bunch of awards and was made free online. I think a bunch of you will dig it. Wiki has a good overview/synopsis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerando

and a Neal Stephenson. Its the only one of his I've read besides Snow Crash. Pretty lengthy, but has a neat Paradise Lost twist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall;_or,_Dodge_in_Hell

Anyone encountered The Subjective Cosmology Cycle by Greg Egan?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

odinson posted:

Loved this series, and will definitely check out the short stories later. Any other media similar to this anyone can recommend? I've got a couple.

Charles Stross: Accelerando. Won a bunch of awards and was made free online. I think a bunch of you will dig it. Wiki has a good overview/synopsis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerando

and a Neal Stephenson. Its the only one of his I've read besides Snow Crash. Pretty lengthy, but has a neat Paradise Lost twist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall;_or,_Dodge_in_Hell

Anyone encountered The Subjective Cosmology Cycle by Greg Egan?

Hell yeah, I'd suggest:

Glasshouse, by Charles Stross
Lena, by qntm (most of their stuff would be right up this thread's alley): https://qntm.org/lena
Greg Egan. Everything the man has ever written.
For a book series with dogshit politics (libertarian) but an interesting far-future: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Oecumene
The Bobiverse series by Dennis Taylor
The Quantum Thief series (great if you want some gay poo poo)
Avogadro Corp series by William Hertling
Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie (gay)
Possibly Nexus by Ramez Naam
Kill Decision by Daniel Surez
The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts (probably the best book of his to start on)
A Psalm for the Wild Built by Becky Chambers (gay)
Emergent Properties by Aimee Ogden (super gay)

This is just a quick scan thru my Kindle, so I definitely forgot a few things. For media, a goon recommended me Scavengers Reign for interesting hard-scifi animation that's been put out to pasture on a dogshit service.

If anyone has already read all of these books please take this post as a marriage and/or crime partners proposal

e: also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashes_of_the_Singularity is a RTS videogame with a very Pantheon story

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 14, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I wish I'd seen this thread when I was on my first watch, goddamn. Currently I'm rewatching with my folks and picking up on a lot I'd missed, it's also the first animation series I've got them to actually pay attention to!

I think this is the only show ive watched where the ending didn't leave me wanting more, or disappointed. The ending of this show is just so complete it just leaves such an incredible sense of contentment.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Glasshouse really ought to come with some serious content warnings about domestic abuse and sexual assault, but it is still a good piece of post singularity sci-fi

E: The Quantum Thief is incredible. It's a very dense read that spares no time for exposition, so a second read knowing what you will after your first is a transformative experience in literature. Did you like Dune? Did you like Pantheon? Buy this book immediately.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I binged through the first season a week or two ago and loved it. It's one of the few shows I've watched without dicking around on the internet or anything else. I've been trying to get friends watching it. I'm slowly going through the second season because I don't want it to end.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Neal Asher's Books in the polity universe are probably worth checking out. It has a really interesting and well developed setting. Most of humanity lives in a post scarcity utopia, so the books mostly focuses on people living on the outskirts of civilization. The AIs that are running things are mostly benevolent, but they sometimes can do some highly morally questionable things. Basically everyone is immortal so people are pursuing more exotic forms of immortality. I suggest starting with the Spatterjay series because the protagonist of the first series is a bit weak.

Ghost in the Shell:SAC is the obvious recommendation.

Steins;Gate is also probably something worth checking out. It doesn't quite get into the AI/Brain uploading/Singularity stuff (at least not until the sequel), but it does share some similarities. Both the anime adaptation and the original visual novel are good.

Knights of Sidonia is a really neat mecha manga that leans way more into the sci-fi aspects than usual. The other works of Tsutomu Nihei are also usually pretty great.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tsutomu Nihei also did Blame! which is probably one of the most influential works of the late 90s

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition posted:

Hell yeah, I'd suggest:

Glasshouse, by Charles Stross
Lena, by qntm (most of their stuff would be right up this thread's alley): https://qntm.org/lena
Greg Egan. Everything the man has ever written.
For a book series with dogshit politics (libertarian) but an interesting far-future: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Oecumene
The Bobiverse series by Dennis Taylor
The Quantum Thief series (great if you want some gay poo poo)
Avogadro Corp series by William Hertling
Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie (gay)
Possibly Nexus by Ramez Naam
Kill Decision by Daniel Surez
The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts (probably the best book of his to start on)
A Psalm for the Wild Built by Becky Chambers (gay)
Emergent Properties by Aimee Ogden (super gay)

This is just a quick scan thru my Kindle, so I definitely forgot a few things. For media, a goon recommended me Scavengers Reign for interesting hard-scifi animation that's been put out to pasture on a dogshit service.

If anyone has already read all of these books please take this post as a marriage and/or crime partners proposal

e: also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashes_of_the_Singularity is a RTS videogame with a very Pantheon story

some post on a bad forum reminded me about Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge, also a good thing to check out

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I finished the show last night and loved it. Though watching the last few episodes before I went to sleep gave me weird dreams all night. The imagery of Dyson sphere and the flash forwards feels permanently lodged in my brain.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I finally remembered that I read a post that Pantheon got a Season 2 after all and finished it today.

Good stuff

Though S2E7 the whole time I was convinced the episode writer was either qntm or someone who had read Fine Structure and Ra and probably Lena too. But he’s not listed in the writers credits so therefore I assume that one or all of them found those stories while researching

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I had a similar reaction but about Greg Egan's work in the 90s; either thru the writer of the original short stories or someone on the show team somebody has read a shitload of the hard sci fi canon. Probably the closest I'll get to permutation city being adapted into a film (spoilered for minor thematic similarities)

That said go read qntm if you haven't already, lurkers

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also support your fellow goon and buy his books

Best I can do here is see d these Linux ISOs in perpetuity. Thanks capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i finally got around to season 2 fearing it would end on a cliffhanger but instead i got my yearly fix of existentialism and absolutely loved it

now i feel like it is my duty to spread this show on usbs labeled evangelion