Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So, uh. This show is incredible? It's like Devs but if Devs wasn't as completely high on it's own farts.

I went in totally blind and that probably helped, because I feel like there's at this point a stigma associated with stories about brain uploads -- stuff from Lawnmower Man to Transcendence has sort of poisoned the well.

Until this? I don't know, it's the first time I've seen this sort of attention to detail, everything feels well observed and lived in. I knew from the like first 10 seconds when I saw the fake NERV logo that this show was maybe for real. It absolutely wears influences on it's sleeve, but all the nerd culture references are well integrated and seamless -- the dad literally looking at 4chan and the corporation using something that looks absolutely identical to Slack both read as naturalistic to me. It's not referential, it's just the way it is. Nerd scenery? Not sure why it hits different exactly, even the GiTS hand splitting thing played right because it fit the character.

Or maybe I'm a crazy person because apparently no one else is aware this even exists.

E: to expand a little, I also appreciate the slow build here. I think there's been a great sense of mounting tension as strings play out and start to tie together. None of the characters really act like idiots and even the technobabble is... Mostly believable? I have some issues with the amount of bandwidth they'd need to do some of this stuff but that's a high level Degrasse Tyson well acshully meaningless take.

It's rare to have an animated show like this where the budget isn't just there for big combat scenes, a ton of attention was clearly spent on facial expressions and body language.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Going into this knowing actually nothing, from the first five minutes I thought it was going to be cyber Percy Jackson and I'm real glad it's not.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Okay so how do we now get more people to watch this goodass show? I'm ecstatic that S2 is in the can already, that it's not cancelled already might be a big selling point.

Tiggum posted:

I am curious to see where they're going with this, but I'm starting to suspect the answer is "nowhere" and that we'll get to the end of the season and nothing will have actually resolved in any meaningful way.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'resolved' but :lol:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Part of the problem is that it's a hard sell when I just describe it to someone; I've never been a salesperson. That it's animated is already a barrier to some, that it's best described as a 'techno thriller' is another, because what does that even mean?

I think the trailer is pretty spoilery and shows it's hand too much, but then again I particularly liked the slow build and reveals with everyone stumbling around in the dark for the first arc. I was gonna link it here but man I just rewatched it and a solid chunk is from the very last episode, just tipping the hand right out onto the table.

Trying to keep spoilers light in the first page because maybe someday this thread will be in the hundreds. :unsmith:

Honestly the most important move is out of our control, and that's to get it off AMC+ and onto something people... have.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

God damnit. :smith:

I was really looking forward to S2. Still am. Hope springs eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4zqd3k3yg

how did this not get posted here, it's been up for a week and I just found out. I am mad at all of you

(Coming to amazon prime on oct 15th... in AU and NZ specifically? :shrug:)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 27, 2023