Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
so basically the pope is a jesuit who cares about poor people and that's bad because... ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Homocow posted:

so basically the pope is a jesuit who cares about poor people and that's bad because... ?

The marks aren't supposed to be in charge

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Theres a catholic church in rural puerto rico with records of my baptism, communion and confirmation. Years after I stopped going to church and joined the military they still made my first set of dog tags saying I was catholic, when I wrote in I didnt have a religious preference when signing up.

stolen valor

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I think the catholic church needs to stay out of politics!!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Theres a catholic church in rural puerto rico with records of my baptism, communion and confirmation. Years after I stopped going to church and joined the military they still made my first set of dog tags saying I was catholic, when I wrote in I didnt have a religious preference when signing up.

Catholicism is cultural, they made the right call

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Homocow posted:

Look, caring about some of the poor is fine. But when you start talking about loving gays and welcoming back people that get divorces into the church you are itching to get strangled

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
who would win? the pope or capitalism?

quote:

He maintains that the church should be more open and welcoming for members of the LGBT community. Francis is an outspoken critic of unbridled capitalism and free market economics, consumerism, and overdevelopment;[2] he advocates taking action on climate change,[3] a focus of his papacy with the promulgation of Laudato si'.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

i got confirmed lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Homocow posted:

speaking as someone who was educated by Jesuits for many years, and i mean this in the most literal sense, the Jesuits are the libs of the Catholic church

they are the "lesser evil" within that institution technically i guess if you need to be pedantic, but it's still the loving catholic church so they absolutely are not "good"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The best part of the predeployment rigamarole was changing my official religion to Norse and convincing a bored JAG to stipulate in my will that if I died in a combat zone and my corpse wasn't set ablaze in a boat I couldn't enter Valhalla.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was baptized

Same, but as a protestant.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This thread feels like a trap

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
it's not. which catholics will you side with

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The best part of the predeployment rigamarole was changing my official religion to Norse and convincing a bored JAG to stipulate in my will that if I died in a combat zone and my corpse wasn't set ablaze in a boat I couldn't enter Valhalla.

epic poo poo goonsire :D

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
get the pagan

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

the bruenigs will be the new pope

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You're in gods army now

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

You hosed up the joke by living, rear end in a top hat. Think of the hypothetical content we missed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I too have regrets

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

any actual catholics in this thread or just a bunch of larpers

after 12 years of Catholic schooling (the last 4 at a Jesuit HS), my main connections to the church are "I support Glasgow Celtic", "I give up something for Lent as a personal-growth thing", and "fish fries own"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
ok i'll print you up some soccer dog tags then

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cuttlefush posted:

Neither, I hope they both lose.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

I'd like to think this is a strong possibility

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

This is a typical American appropriation of traditional religion. If you died in combat, there would be no need for the boat. If you didn't, a little fire wouldn't help. I hope your die peacefully in your sleep of old age surrounded by loved ones.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

let_them_fight.gif

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
I heard you don’t have to pick a side yet? You can die and hang out in limbo until the End Times and then Jesus will come through one last time and say “last call for the heaven train, all aboard, choo choo!”. Is this true? If so I may do this, it’s hard to be an early adopter.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

really queer Christmas posted:

And Constantinople shall rise from the ashes as the undisputed head of mother Church

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

And Constantinople shall rise from the ashes as the undisputed head of mother Church

that upstart town? not if Antioch has anything to say about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I am a Catholic Social Justice Warrior trained by the followers of Saint Ignatius de Loyola. I will ride with Pope Francis through the tribulations of the devil to build heaven on earth atop the bodies of God's enemies.

what happens if theres a church coup. do they convene by night and blow new smoke w/o warning

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if anything happens to the pope its because he's having second thoughts about letting the vatican's gladio office fund the brabant killings 2 not because he thinks gays are okay

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if anything happens to the pope its because he's having second thoughts about letting the vatican's gladio office fund the brabant killings 2 not because he thinks gays are okay

He's epic and based though, that is why the Catholic church continues to cover up their crimes and never pays any reparations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Pope Francis, I am ready to commit to spiritual battle against the corrupt forces within the believers of God's kingdom on Earth.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Avert a coup? i dont see how you can "coup" a pope, but you can assassinate one and i dont see how these steps from Francis make that less likely

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im not well versed in this sort of thing but if we do end up with a holy war i have a question: hypothetically if i overcharged the poo poo out of a local freemason lodge for some dodgy electrical work am i going to get murdered by the catholics for helping the masons or will i get a pass because i ripped them off

asking for a friend

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blatman posted:

im not well versed in this sort of thing but if we do end up with a holy war i have a question: hypothetically if i overcharged the poo poo out of a local freemason lodge for some dodgy electrical work am i going to get murdered by the catholics for helping the masons or will i get a pass because i ripped them off

asking for a friend

I think they cut off your hand, dip it in molten gold and give it back to you

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m in the process of studying for the Third Order of Saint Dominic and had to do a fair bit of study to get permission from the bishop for a mass when I married a Protestant. Having said all that, that’s got to be atypical and the people who go for Christmas and Easter rather than the Opus Dei, Lay Dominicans or even Knights of Columbus are probably better representatives.

Probably too are the March For Life people and the Crypto Snake Handlers in the charismatic prayer groups.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Rightwing culture warrior and head of the US conference of bishops Gomez has been snubbed and excluded from elevation to cardinal.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-09-02/archbishop-jose-gomez-not-cardinal

quote:

Gomez spent most of the Mass on his bishop’s throne, offering some unmemorable words toward the end. Afterward, the faithful waited for a chance to see the holy relic, in a line that spanned the length of the cathedral.

They paid no attention to the archbishop

speng31b
May 8, 2010

just one antipope vs a jesuit pope AND a jesuit black pope? not a fair fight at all

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Hey thanks for reminding me that Cardinal Burke survived ventilator covid, assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

unwantedplatypus posted:

Pope Francis, I am ready to commit to spiritual battle against the corrupt forces within the believers of God's kingdom on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJis2skju7g