Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
will be waiting to cast judgement until I hear what Dasha has to say about this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

paul_soccer12 posted:

will be waiting to cast judgement until I hear what Dasha has to say about this

if he crushes the brooklynites i will ironically convert

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if he crushes the brooklynites i will ironically convert

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jul/26/woke-pope-francis-bans-divisive-latin-mass/

quote:

Glory to Ukraine!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I forgot to mention that my wife’s friends from when she was a DC think tank libertarian are Catholic converts and a few have podcasts now.

Just the weirdest people. Two are locked up in China for some sort of missionary and/or CSIS thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Opus Gay

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You joke, but that’s kind of what their Numeraries come across as. Repressed psycho avatars of ambition with wealth and connections who live a sort-of-but-not-really cloistered life as PMC while remaining celibate.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Opus Dei-time is over

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I remember growing up in a super-hippy area, there was one family that moved in who were pretty conservative Catholics. I'd go over to their house sometimes and it was like stepping into another world, crosses and pictures of saints everywhere, all these rituals and poo poo. It seemed really cool to me, a dumb kid in the 90's. Then the dad, one of the most aggressively-vanilla people I'd ever met, went to prison. Turns out he'd tried to buy anti-tank weaponry from an ATF agent. Because he was planning on blowing up the popemobile. Because he thought that John Paul II was a Satanist and possibly the Anti-Christ. Because Mass was, in his mind, the only thing saving mankind from damnation, and Vatican II was a plot by Satan to destroy it. Because apparently it's a loving magic spell where it only works if you say it in the right language. Man, that really did a number on my little brain.

Glad to see Satan had the last laugh, there.

Edit: I should look that guy up. Must be weird for him now that his views are, like, half a step away from being mainstream.

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Sep 6, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

You joke, but that’s kind of what their Numeraries come across as. Repressed psycho avatars of ambition with wealth and connections who live a sort-of-but-not-really cloistered life as PMC while remaining celibate.

uh, how is what you described connected to what you quoted? trying not to take the bad reading of this lol

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

unwantedplatypus posted:

Pope Francis, I am ready to commit to spiritual battle against the corrupt forces within the believers of God's kingdom on Earth.

I thought that's a venture bros bit

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

uh, how is what you described connected to what you quoted? trying not to take the bad reading of this lol

It’s where elite socially conservative Catholics ship off their effeminate sons:

“More distinctively (aside from the billions of dollars in donations they manage), there is a whole suborder within them called the numeraries, men and women who live in the community and take vows of celibacy. But they are not monks or nuns. They are upper-class professionals, live in luxurious accommodations, and are attended by a host of servants such as the women currently suing. If that sounds to you like a very elaborate way to hide their Gays, Lesbians, and Queer people in general… well, to paraphrase Juan Gabriel’s famous quote: “Don’t ask about what’s right in front of your face”.”

article here

I thought this was well known?

Or as a prominent researcher in sexuality and psychology wrote:

“But before we study gay men in other cultures, it is useful to know what they are like in ours. Here in Chicago just past the turn of the century, I think I observe a preponderance of gay men in the following occupations: florists, waiters, hair stylists, actors (or at least acting students), classical musicians (but not rock musicians), psychologists (or at least psychology students) and psychiatrists, antique sellers, fashion and interior designers, yoga and aerobics instructors, masseurs, librarians, flight attendants, nurses, clothing retail salesmen (e.g., at the Gap and Banana Republic), web designers (but not software or hard- ware designers), and Catholic priests. “

“Our feminine boy from Chapter 1 has recently begun ballet lessons. He has also been to the opera, and he enjoyed it. (How many eight-year-old boys enjoy the opera?) He has attended mass and has already asked to become an altar boy when he is old enough. (His mother thinks that this has to do with the altar boys’ costumes, which look like dresses.) Because of the intense competition for these careers, he will probably not become an opera singer, ballet dancer, or priest.”

Into Silence and Servitude: How American Girls Became Nuns, 1945-1965

Describes the same phenomenon for masculine daughters. If their families were afraid they were “not the marrying kind”, and they couldn’t find a place for them within the family as “spinster aunts” or employment with a charitable society or as a parish secretary, they often encouraged them to enter the sisterhood . The more conservative an area, the more likely this was to happen, but it also correlates with family wealth because as the previous quote says these were sought after vocations. More than that, they provided the guarantee of maintaining a certain standard of material security, if not comfort, at a time where it could be difficult for unmarried women to take care of themselves.

Right, so, while gays and lesbians are still found in all areas of Catholic life, the Opus Dei in particular recruits from wealthy, conservative families.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVToVrud3m8

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Sep 6, 2022

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Turtle Watch posted:

Opus Dei-time is over

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
turns out the swiss guard have been packing jaffa staff weapons this whole time

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lmao I want to know if this guy or anyone in the comments speaks latin.

It has to be some sort of prideful sin to attend a mass willingly that you cannot understand. Whats the point?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Search your heart.

To answer your question, they print little programmes so you can follow along, like watching an opera. People are still moved by Tosca, same deal here. Also, learning enough Latin to follow the liturgy isn’t very difficult.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I get the appeal of wanting worship that seems more otherworldly, and there's plenty of prayers that I get the gist of in Latin despite not actually speaking it. But I also have enough trouble focusing on things I actually understand and the only Latin psychos are almost all fascists

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I thought that's a venture bros bit

The bit is a reference to Bibleman, an American tokusatsu

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It was bound to happen once it became a signifier of attending an upscale parish, having gone to parochial or private school, and now the aesthetic.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s where elite socially conservative Catholics ship off their effeminate sons:

“More distinctively (aside from the billions of dollars in donations they manage), there is a whole suborder within them called the numeraries, men and women who live in the community and take vows of celibacy. But they are not monks or nuns. They are upper-class professionals, live in luxurious accommodations, and are attended by a host of servants such as the women currently suing. If that sounds to you like a very elaborate way to hide their Gays, Lesbians, and Queer people in general… well, to paraphrase Juan Gabriel’s famous quote: “Don’t ask about what’s right in front of your face”.”

article here

I thought this was well known?

12+ years of catholic education and an (almost) completely catholic family, but I know very little about ultra conservative catholicism in general or opus dei in particular aside from what i read as a kid in some lovely dan brown book. i get that clergy and clergy-adjacent organizations do some real hosed up poo poo to lgbt people across the board, but i wasn't aware opus dei had a different reputation for that compared to just...catholicism in general.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

speng31b posted:

12+ years of catholic education and an (almost) completely catholic family, but I know very little about ultra conservative catholicism in general or opus dei in particular aside from what i read as a kid in some lovely dan brown book. i get that clergy and clergy-adjacent organizations do some real hosed up poo poo to lgbt people across the board, but i wasn't aware opus dei had a different reputation for that compared to just...catholicism in general.

same, I knew a kid in HS whose family was Opus Dei (they were Spanish) and the general consensus on him was "good kid, but that poo poo's whacko"

he also supported Real Madrid and honestly that got him more poo poo than anything (because this was at an all-boys school in a city that makes a point of being into soccer before the rest of the US)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

I would guess because it’s a class thing. You and I, or anyone else we know, we’re not really living in the same world where that’s even an option for us. Both (I hope) in the sense that our families wouldn’t feel the need to stash us away if we were gay or effeminate, but also in the sense that they couldn’t afford to and don’t have the clot.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I forgot to mention that my wife’s friends from when she was a DC think tank libertarian are Catholic converts and a few have podcasts now.

Link

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bruenigs/id1393726435

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It has to be some sort of prideful sin to attend a mass willingly that you cannot understand. Whats the point?
it sounds badass, just like latin chanting in movies and videogames

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bruenigs/id1393726435

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

speng31b posted:

Here’s a primer for the.. more conservative Catholics (and arguably an agitprop shill site but I suppose most right wing media qualifies nowadays)

https://www.churchmilitant.com

On one hand, I always ask why the super fascist sites look like a schizophrenic nightmare. But on the other hand, the fear and disgust articles interspersed with ‘big strong leader will save us’ is the entire point for pushing agendas to your flock.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Meet Innocent IX, the dapper, suspenders wearing Dimes Square antipope with a podcast

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Goreld posted:

Here’s a primer for the.. more conservative Catholics (and arguably an agitprop shill site but I suppose most right wing media qualifies nowadays)

https://www.churchmilitant.com

On one hand, I always ask why the super fascist sites look like a schizophrenic nightmare. But on the other hand, the fear and disgust articles interspersed with ‘big strong leader will save us’ is the entire point for pushing agendas to your flock.

drat, this website is a real rabbit hole. absolutely deranged

found one article for a gay priest to be defrocked, called him "Monsignor Grindr". Adding that to the username thread

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it sounds badass, just like latin chanting in movies and videogames

bigger overlap between warhammer 40k fans and upper class catholic converts than i previously thought

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

found one article for a gay priest to be defrocked, called him "Monsignor Grindr". Adding that to the username thread

A gay priest, given their worldview and opinions about homosexuality, is showing a greater commitment to God by taking a vow of celibacy. Why would you defrock someone who has (again from the deranged conservative view) struggled more in service of their vows?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

A gay priest, given their worldview and opinions about homosexuality, is showing a greater commitment to God by taking a vow of celibacy. Why would you defrock someone who has (again from the deranged conservative view) struggled more in service of their vows?

not gonna get into linking or quoting the poo poo on that website or get too much into it, but it's more about the witch hunt for anyone who failed that struggle

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

not gonna get into linking or quoting the poo poo on that website or get too much into it, but it's more about the witch hunt for anyone who failed that struggle

Oh boy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also anyone at CM or similar organizations is just gonna be a rabid lunatic who just wants to throw gays in camps regardless of whatever theoretical arguments you can make

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

Also anyone at CM or similar organizations is just gonna be a rabid lunatic who just wants to throw gays in camps regardless of whatever theoretical arguments you can make

I underestimated both the rabidity and lunacy. They’re real mad about LOTR:

“Instead of seeing The Lord of the Rings through the eyes of Tolkien, we are seeing The Lord of the Rings through the eyes of Sauron. And the new woke adaptation from Amazon or what have you, actually seeing The Lord of the Rings through the eye of Sauron, is what orcs would do with a great work of beauty: They would deface it, desecrate it.”

They don’t even say what’s woke, what about it they don’t like, how that’s against Tolkien’s deeply compassionate and thoughtful worldview. I agree the new show is clearly not written by Catholic medievalists and linguists, but that’s not at all what the criticism is here. I can’t discern what specifically they’re upset about.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Sep 7, 2022

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

speng31b posted:

:eyepop:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

“Instead of seeing The Lord of the Rings through the eyes of Tolkien, we are seeing The Lord of the Rings through the eyes of Sauron. And the new woke adaptation from Amazon or what have you, actually seeing The Lord of the Rings through the eye of Sauron, is what orcs would do with a great work of beauty: They would deface it, desecrate it.”

They don’t even say what’s woke, what about it they don’t like, how that’s against Tolkien’s deeply compassionate and thoughtful worldview. I agree the new show is clearly not written by Catholic medievalists and linguists, but that’s not at all what the criticism is here. I can’t discern what specifically they’re upset about.

well i could say that its a combination of assigning the blame for the all the ills of modern society on social others along with an incredible resistance to change and self-exampination, but also fundamentally this website in particular is mad because its their job to be mad and to get other people mad. maybe a person you know well could be peeled off if you work through the contradictions in their worldview, but Voris et al aren't so much incapable of retrospection per se as financially incentivized not to be capable

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

seems like it's a dressed up version of evangelical review sites where they state if a tv show is a work of god or a work of satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Frosted Flake posted:

Just the weirdest people. Two are locked up in China for some sort of missionary and/or CSIS thing.

good