Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Forget that the guy can loving fly, making the whole jumping thing moot. I don't care about that. I'm interested in this single bound stuff. Why specify that? Multiple bounds obviously aren't going help, you do it in one go or not at all.

It should be "able to leap long buildings in a single bound." It would even preserve the cadence if that's all they going for.

Again this a very strange thing to focus on when you're talking about somebody who can fly around the planet so fast it reverses time. But if we're really married to this jumping thing it should at least make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
back in the 1920s or whatever tall buildings were the #1 thing making dudes' dicks hard, so it's like saying that superman is even cooler than tall buildings and they should be getting hard for him instead

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
they had to emphasize the single bound part to make it clear that superman was stronger than Samus Aran, who can only clear a tall building with midair jumps

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Forget that the guy can loving fly, making the whole jumping thing moot. I don't care about that. I'm interested in this single bound stuff. Why specify that? Multiple bounds obviously aren't going help, you do it in one go or not at all.

It should be "able to leap long buildings in a single bound." It would even preserve the cadence if that's all they going for.

Again this a very strange thing to focus on when you're talking about somebody who can fly around the planet so fast it reverses time. But if we're really married to this jumping thing it should at least make sense.

Originally Superman did not have the ability to fly. I believe if you watch the old Fleischer cartoons you can see that.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Originally Superman did not have the ability to fly. I believe if you watch the old Fleischer cartoons you can see that.

I like the one where he fights an American Native scientist who wants land returned to his tribe.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Many skyscrapers are stepped.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I like the one where he fights an American Native scientist who wants land returned to his tribe.

I would be the undisputed ruler of earth 11 seconds after my powers appeared,

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
They should make a Superman movie where Superman fights Batman!!! Could you imagine that?????

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Nooner posted:

They should make a Superman movie where Superman fights Batman!!! Could you imagine that?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bs9lQ76r4Q&t=28s

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Back in the day that poo poo was hard to do. Even the best athletes couldn't do it in less than three and the buildings back then weren't even all that tall.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I loved those Max Fleischer films when I was like 4 years old, my grandpa had a tape of them and i would watch them on repeat. The animation was soooo smooth.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
In the 20s cities had a lot of jumping puzzles, it was a pretty big advantage to be able to complete them in one go.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wonder Woman could leap tall buildings in a single bondage.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

there is no fly without leap, just as there is no leap without flying. falling is just flying back to the ground after all. really makes you think

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
1940s superman is a bitch

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
A powerful vertical leap is a skill in its own right.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TontoCorazon posted:

1940s superman is a bitch

Man, if that's the opinion of 1940s Superman, Clark Kent must be the most emasculated male on the planet by comparison.

That's the real reason he has to keep his secret from Lois. She wouldn't suddenly have an inflated opinion of Clark, she'd have an even lower opinion of Superman. The girls in the steno pool would have a field day just getting away with all sorts of jabs at Clark/Superman if they knew.

It's the reason he built a Fortress of Solitude.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

It's the reason he built a Fortress of Solitude.

What sort of guy builds a secret base and calls it 'the Fortress of Solitude', anyway?

Superman, you're not goth enough to pull that kind of poo poo.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

What sort of guy builds a secret base and calls it 'the Fortress of Solitude', anyway?

Jor-El named that poo poo, Superman wanted to call it the Superfriends Clubhouse.

Although Superman did at least win one important battle with his father. Before Superman put his foot down the sign outside read:

Fortress of Solitude
No dogs
No Irish

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They only invented stairs in 1969, you had to rocketjump if you wanted Togo above ground level before that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

His neighbour Santa Claus named it as a dig and it stuck

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

jazzyhattrick posted:

Fortress of Solitude
No dogs
No Irish

Poor Krypto.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think you're just jealous.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Back in the day that poo poo was hard to do. Even the best athletes couldn't do it in less than three and the buildings back then weren't even all that tall.

Yeah they had to make Godzilla taller for the same reason, buildings got a lot taller and the little OG Godzilla would have looked silly tiptoeing around modern skyscrapers

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's a hard burn on u OP

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Yeah originally Superman's powers came from the fact that he grew up on a high-gravity planet. When he got to Earth, the lower gravity meant he was stronger, faster, able to jump higher, etc. Later they changed it to some weird thing about our "yellow sun" giving him magical powers.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Dynastocles posted:

Yeah originally Superman's powers came from the fact that he grew up on a high-gravity planet. When he got to Earth, the lower gravity meant he was stronger, faster, able to jump higher, etc. Later they changed it to some weird thing about our "yellow sun" giving him magical powers.

Wait a minute. Did they just take that idea from John Carter of Mars? Superman is just some goddamn John Carter of Mars fanfiction?

That can't be. Let me just...

https://www.superworldcomics.com/blog/comic-books/the-inspirations-behind-superman/ posted:

Superman: When pondering how the superpowered individual that he and Joe Shuster were creating would come to have his powers, Jerry Siegel found inspiration in Edgar Rice Burroughs’ “John Carter of Mars” books

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All stories are based on other stories.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The really cool thing is that in about another decade or so the Superman who can leap tall buildings will enter public domain. Before you know it, Electric Superman will be a thing again to extend copywright another couple of decades.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I’d be a racist superman.

Against anyone that wasn’t a superman.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

goatface posted:

All stories are based on other stories.

Batman's original design is just outright stolen.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nooner posted:

I don't think this would be a very good movie. Obviously the billionaire would beat the one with actual super powers and stuff.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

The whole yellow sun thing wasn’t a part of his backstory from the start? Whaaaaaat!?

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

well actually, the best superman is red son

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I know this is a derail of a comedy thread, but the more powerful they make the Superman character and as technology goes by, the less interesting he becomes. The solution, of course, would be for Superman to use his powers to divert an asteroid into the Earth, sending us back to a pre-industrial age and blocking out a large amount of the light from the yellow sun that has made him too powerful to begin with.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know this is a derail of a comedy thread, but the more powerful they make the Superman character and as technology goes by, the less interesting he becomes. The solution, of course, would be for Superman to use his powers to divert an asteroid into the Earth, sending us back to a pre-industrial age and blocking out a large amount of the light from the yellow sun that has made him too powerful to begin with.

It's true, superman is a giant sanctimonious suckass op piece of poo poo and I also long for the death of mankind.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Wait a minute. Did they just take that idea from John Carter of Mars? Superman is just some goddamn John Carter of Mars fanfiction?

That can't be. Let me just...

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

There was no doubt a lot of different influences affecting the creators of Superman, but I'd like to list another one that I don't think most people know of.

This whole analogy with Superman being able to leap over a building in a single bound like a grasshopper, and being able to lift many times his own body weight like an ant reveals that the creators of Superman were really inspired by Philip Wylie's Gladiator story, that came out in 1930 in the same sci-fi magazine that Jerry Siegel worked at at the time. The ant and grasshopper comparison comes straight from Gladiator, since in that story the main character is a guy whose scientist dad injected him with "insect alkaline radicals" while he was still in the womb. The scientist dad had noticed that insects have strength many times stronger than what would be expected for something their size, so alkaline radicals must be the cause. Like Superman, the main character was raised in a rural location by his parents to treat his power as a responsibility to do good. Unlike Superman, his life loving sucked and his strength was a curse.

It later got adapted into a comedy movie in 1938, as the age of grimdark movie adaptations was a century away. And a comic by Marvel in the 70s, which kept the serious attitude but changed the name to Man-God.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
It's a bird!

Don't see that every day. Good thing I brought it to everyone's attention.