Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Please remember that just because a bunch of players were drafted high it does not actually guarantee they are good at playing football in the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Professor Funk posted:

Is this about the Jets? I was going to say in the last thread that even if all of Sauce, Wilson (Garrett), Johnson, Hall, etc., are good NFL players, there is going to be an adjustment period for them and that's going to make the early stretch even tougher. The Jets can still be on the upswing and struggle a lot early on because of that.

Yes. Mcmagic is doing his yearly thing where he has penciled in every offseason move and draft pick the Jets have made to work perfectly, so if they lose to anyone last year that was below .500 it's an abject disaster.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I literally never do that

lol

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

I can't really think of a time mcmagic was wrong about the jets

In general.. he's not! But I think he has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to evaluating young players and journeymen acquisitions - particularly in how they compare to similar players on different teams. So then he falls into the trap of expecting the Jets to always beat teams with quote "loser quarterbacks". In reality it's like, dude you have no idea what this Jets team is going to be, so don't start penciling in automatic wins over the Steelers.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 6, 2022

Nov 6, 2002

Professor Funk posted:

I stand with mcmagic

(Also I could think of no better way to kick off the 2022 AFCE thread.)

Arguing about mcmagic is pretty much our #1 pastime.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

There are no NFL teams with CB depth lol. It's like Tackle depth.

Woah, the Patriots have a long list of mediocre dudes to throw at you.

Nov 6, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

I just can’t imagine he’s already healthy, I guess is my hang up.

I think it's our natural inclination not to trust NFL teams when they tell us a player is 100%.

Nov 6, 2002

whatis posted:

I've never been more invested in seeing a QB eat poo poo than I am with Tua. He's such a stupid weenie and I want him to poop his pants on gameday

Frame this.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Is this the really perception of me? That I do hot takes that i don't really believe in and just argue them just to argue? I feel like if an opinion I have ends up being wrong I usually just admit it.

I don't think he said you had hot takes. Just strong opinions.

Nov 6, 2002

The AFCE thread is the engine that powers this entire subforum and I think it's time we demand recognition from the idiots and savages of the other divisional threads!

Nov 6, 2002

Thankfully he'll never have to.

Nov 6, 2002

t a s t e posted:

I’m so excited for tomorrow :ssj:

Big mistake.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

Oh wait, best take from that thread…

Naw, he WAS good that game.

But it turns out it's because the Seahawks' pass defense was historically awful. Even the corpse of Edelman almost had 200 yards.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

I'm not disputing that Cam was good in that particular game, but like, come on. It was a fairly reasonable take at the time that ended up being dead wrong going forward.

Sure.

But not as wrong as all these mcmagic classics from this page:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938887&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Bills not any better than the Jets... McDermott a worse coach than Gase and BoB lol.

Nov 6, 2002

I'll say this.

Mcmagic was sure right about Jamal Adams.

fsif posted:

Okay yeah, it definitely didn't qualify as "best take from the thread."

Anyway hope you guys have been enjoying my blurbs on Rotoworld:

Didn't Wilson only throw a handful of passes before getting injured? Seems unlikely to be enough to "bench" a guy.

Nov 6, 2002

Sounds like Florida infrastructure is really really bad! Heard they had to bring in portapotties as there's no plumbing in the entire state.

Nov 6, 2002

Joe Flacco sucks and his revenge tour is going to be shorter than Cam Newton's "I'M BAAAAAACK!" moment.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1567601352800444417

Nov 6, 2002

Nothing unsettling about that imagery at all.

Nov 6, 2002

Bills are gonna lose. Sorry.

Nov 6, 2002

Locker room cancer.

Nov 6, 2002

I think what the Rams should have done was win instead of lose, but that's just my opinion.

Nov 6, 2002

The Patriots in theory have the best oline if everyone stayed healthy and wasn't coached by a couple of loving morons.

Nov 6, 2002

Counting on Beckton was the mistake.

Nov 6, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

It is absolutely insane how people truly want Tua to fail. It’s kinda weird.

I want you to close your eyes. Picture Tua dropping back to throw a pass and as he releases it the ball immediately starts to wobble. Now imagine that pass landing ten yards short of its intended target. Can you see it? Bouncing hopelessly off the turf as fans starting booing? Can you see him? I want you to picture Tua. Now imagine he's Mac.

Nov 6, 2002

Potential, the refuge of every awful quarterback in history.

Nov 6, 2002

I hope Patricia has heat stroke at half time.

Nov 6, 2002

They're just not gonna call PI in this game it looks.

Nov 6, 2002

Love all the shots of Belichick on the sideline confused about all the chickens that have come home to roost.

Nov 6, 2002

The Dolphins weapons looked great today and are a reminder that talent above all else matters. Tua still looked like a guy in the middle of his rookie season.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

So the Pats looked as advertised, right?

They struggled to put drives together and made some really awful mistakes in pass protection that killed drives and led to turnovers. Couldn't convert on the ground in short yardage when they needed - bad run blocking too.

Almost like someone was running the offensive line that didn't know what they were doing.

Defense was in position to make plays, but they were simply getting physically clowned in the secondary by superior players who juked them out of their shoes, beat them to the edges and literally ripped INTs out of their hands. Reminder that a bunch of guys who are "versatile, jack of all trades" actually suck.

Except Dugger, he played well.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Their ACTIONS are that they traded actual draft assets for Flacco then signed him again as a FA this year for a high paid backup contract when they had Mike White here. They didn't acquire another backup when Wilson got hurt, they chose to start Flacco over White and Streveler and when we all saw Flacco playing like he played today they didn't even think of benching him.

Both Mike White and Joe Flacco are terrible and it wouldn't have mattered.

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everything will be worthwhile if the season makes Kraft go “Bill, hire actual coordinators. I’ll even give you a bump in the coaching budget so you won’t need to take a haircut. Just hire real coordinators.”

Will these coordinators also make Belichick draft better and not make a bunch of boneheaded free agent moves?

Nov 6, 2002

There's only a handful of head coaches in the NFL that I think actually make their teams better. Coaches that are real difference makers. Most of them, the best you can say is they don't make things worse. The disadvantages from Bill's extremely poor drafting, bad free agency bets, strange personnel management and nepotism/cronyism with coaching hires is very quickly going to land him in that second group despite his technical prowess at actual coaching.

Nov 6, 2002

quote:

"My understanding is that Bill O'Brien would have been amenable to coming back here," Breer said. "... He was going to let Bill and (Alabama head coach) Nick (Saban) handle this. And ultimately, Bill Belichick didn't want to bring Bill O'Brien back because he was afraid he might lose him after a year."

O'Brien, who's in his second year as Alabama's offensive coordinator, is a seasoned coach who served as the Patriots' offensive coordinator in 2011 and spent seven years as the Houston Texans' head coach from 2014 to 2020. So, it's highly possible he would have returned to Alabama or taken another coaching gig after a year in Foxboro.

But what about Caley, who is one of the longest-tenured offensive coaches in New England (hired in 2015)?

"He's been the one who has had to explain the offense and essentially teach the offense to a lot of people inside that building," Breer noted of Caley. "But he doesn't have a contract past this year. In fact, my understanding is that one of the reasons he didn't sign an extension is because he couldn't get clarity on his role.

"And now it's the same thing with Bill O'Brien where, because Bill Belichick doesn't know if Caley's going to be here past this year, he doesn't want to have to go through the process of replacing him (in 2023)."

This is some galaxy brain poo poo right here. Get the guy no one wants as OC cause you'll never lose him.

Nov 6, 2002

I don't dislike Josh Allen.

But I could learn to.

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Patricia is a suck up who owes whatever possibly remains of his continued career to him and so will never overstep his bounds. Also he’s basically free. That’s the biggest reason why he’s here as the de facto OC.

It's funny cause Bill has been so cutthroat with players throughout his tenure who don't perform up to expectations but apparently coaches have an endless leash.

Nov 6, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

I do like that Grier and McDaniel surrounded him with guys who can make it happen on their own. I hate to throw in the towel on the guy but the idea of these guys catching passes from Lamar as he extends plays is really intriguing.

That's kinda the thing I'd worry about after this game. Hill and Waddle turned several dogshit throws into nice plays, even saving a brain dead interception. In the long run that's probably not how you want your QB to succeed.

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

It's weird that all these are realistic options for 2023:

- Tom Brady gets divorced and signs with Miami

- Trade for Lamar

- Tua improves enough that we give it another year

- 49ers are terrible and we draft a QB with their first rounder

I think 1-3 are all very unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Chris James 2 posted:

New England has the fate it deserves and always has deserved post-Brady

The worst thing for New England this season is to just kinda be mediocre and on the cusp of chasing a wildcard but missing (eg the Dolphins for basically two decades). Better to be absolute dogshit and get some people fired/retired.