Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.craiyon.com/

Basically I don't want to clog up good threads. So post what you got. Glory, to horror. If you've made a post in another thread, feel free to crosslink it.

Soviet Hiluxen

next oh yes. oh poo poo yes.

Finally have some Group B rally cars:

Ford Focus

Subaru Imprezza

And a Citroen C4 I guess?

Computers cannot do sponsor logos over the web I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

also stealing this shamelessly:

mobby_6kl posted:

It came out really well I think, as did all of KakerMix's images. A few minutes to clean up the extra headlights/wipers and it's a perfect Imperial 500.

There's a guide here (just ignore the name) https://rentry.org/GUItard

Dakar:

Seems to get the idea

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Failure 1:

entering hell backwards on fire in a honda civic painting kinkade

That said, excited for BMW's new American market only endeavor

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Still better than a new Bimmer looks

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

nanananananananana BEETLE!

Also I'm still trying to get a civic screeching into hell on fire painted by Kinkaid, but no dice

so I tried Bosch instead, but Dall-E seems to just choke on having Bosch in the prompt and keep creating essentially the same image

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 9, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

stiiiil on a beetle kick

kincaid status:
nope

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 9, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

better....

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's no real suprise the Red Bull Toyota Prius racing series never took off

edit:

I'm trying to get a decent cab-forward ferarri, but it keeps making awesome images

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 10, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Damnit people, diffusion is so slooooooow

but so goooood

Group B Dodge Neon

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Might as well get my Chrysler love out of my system:

1994 Neon 944

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for creating the thread, it does make sense to have some of these abominations separated :)

Stable Diffusion is quite a bit better than Craiyon, you can either run it on your own PC or use the free one here: https://huggingface.co/spaces/stabilityai/stable-diffusion although you have to wait in line so it's usually slower than my 1070. There's also a beta where you get a credit for a hundred images or so for free. There are also Dall-E and Midjourney but I'm not sure how they deal with casr.

Widening the image to 768x512 seems to help keep the cars in frame.

You can also steal prompts, like this one from KakerMix who had some incredible results:
[year] [vehicle name], photo studio, ektachrome photograph volumetric lighting f8 aperture cinematic eastman 5384 film

and change it as necessary the car description and location etc.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Trying some of Mobby's suggestions. Can't do 780x512 without more research though, I'm running a 1060 with 6GB VRAM
Finally decided to just install the local version of Stable Diffusion. Next step is to figure out how to make more grimdark images. Adding warhammer and John Blanche doesn't have as dramatic effect on Stable Diffusion as it does on craiyon

Either way, here's what happens when the Paris taxi lift goes too well

Also, Red Bull (at the time Redd Builll) absolutely clowned themselves at the 1954 Monaco Grand Prix

edit:
Their sparse and poorly documented '70s efforts were equally poorly regarded

last one:

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 11, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

One this I will say about stable diffusion, it can do some Monet-rear end paintings

also kincade:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Visions of the future:

edit:
one I'm not going to press any further:

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 14, 2022

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

oh hello

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I made a shitload of ridiculous vehicle concept art in the style of syd mead

concept art for a car with interior fire pit, illustrated by syd mead, high quality

concept art for a car with flamethrowers, illustrated by syd mead, high quality

concept art for a car that releases clouds of poisonous gas, illustrated by syd mead, high quality

concept art for bus helicopter, illustrated by syd mead, high quality

concept art for a car with a side car, illustrated by syd mead, high quality

that wasn't really what I was looking for, but I enjoyed the tiny cars so I tried to purposely create more

concept art for a tiny car, illustrated by syd mead, high quality

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Stolen from reddit: 1970 BMW X7

Not gunna lie, I like it. Look at that glasshouse!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dall-E has no idead what a SAAB looks like, but I got a pretty sick hotrod engine here.

“A SAAB hotrod with a chrome V10 engine. Color photo by Pete Biro.”

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It's like all the Tri-Fives mashed up.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Stolen from reddit: 1970 BMW X7

Not gunna lie, I like it. Look at that glasshouse!

Whoa, that worked out well.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

What promts are you using to get good crossbreed cars? Anyway, here’s Ziggy Stardust as a hotrod.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Honestly? It's been different for each one, and I'm not sure I'm really getting crossbreeds the way I want.

VectorSigma is using img2img from SD (see second post in this thread or a link to install instructions) to get his images.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I'm using the Stable diffusion web version, since I can't run it locally on my laptop.

Just putting the names of the cars together seems to work ok sometimes:

"Ford V8 hotrod Fiat Topolino" turned out cute.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

so close. yet so far.

1994 Ferrari Testarosa gullwing, studio photo, film grain
Steps: 100, Sampler: Euler a, CFG scale: 10, Seed: 952177374, Size: 640x320

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
1985 Nissan Leaf

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Kind of digging this Corvėtte DS

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

a steampunk modified range rover from fury road that has a machine gun turret on the roof. post-apocalyptic land rover. shiny and chrome. war boys. mad max. photograph. film grain. volumetric lighting, F8, Kodachrome, wide angle.
Steps: 50, Sampler: Euler a, CFG scale: 9, Seed: 3045575455, Size: 768x512, Denoising strength: 0.7

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's an new-ish UI with some cool features like negative prompts, built-in inpainitng, etc. Seems quite a bit faster (~20 seconds per image on a 1070) and can work with 8 or even 4 GB of VRAM. Easier to get working than the last one I tried too.

https://github.com/AUTOMATIC1111/stable-diffusion-webui-feature-showcase

Didn't have much time to mess with it yet so I just re-ran some of the old prompts.

Miata pickup truck

WRC Daytona

80s sci-fi miata

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

80s sci-fi miata

Oh I absolutely adore this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

Oh I absolutely adore this.
I've been trying to replicate Shusei Nagaoka's style like this one, I have a few prints on my walls and I wanted to have one with a miata:

But it doesn't seem to know him specifically so I'm getting more generic retro sci-fi type illustration which are also cool with me!

The success rate isn't great but some cool stuff does fall out occasionally. I'm pretty mad the first one in particular wasn't wider (and outpainting fails completely)

If someone wants to teach the AI about their weirdo car (like, I dunno, the Traction Avant) it's possible to do it with just a few training images: https://textual-inversion.github.io/

I've tried it and failed so far, it needs quite a lot of GPU memory, though there's a way to optimize it to fit within 8GB supposedly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just gonna double post rudely because nobody else is posting like they should.

I've been playing with the similar styles as before ("80s scifi illustration by shusei nagaoka, by Greg Rutkowski") but tried the RX-7. It seems to be a bit more confused about what it's supposed to look like but produces some cool results.

I would drive all of these red cars (and one blue one)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is that last one an RX-7 F-body

An... FD-body? :smug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Heck, that next to last one looks like a mashup of all three generations of RX-7.
Would, all of them.
Little bit of Cosmo 110S in that first one.
Third one has a little Supra Mark III going on there.

RX-7 with a quarter window (second pic) is novel.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Who knew concept artists would be the first to lose their jobs to AI.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

RX7 Superbird

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's really weird. I did not specify a model name or year (it doesn't seem to work great, I'll post on that later) so it's a combination of the different generations and random 80s sports cars it seems. Here are the last two from that batch:

It can do an ND pretty well though

Can also do your shitbox too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So, regarding the model model types. As mentioned before, I found it pretty difficult to get the specific one I wanted. It probably comes down to the dataset and how it was (or wasn't) labeled. Since it would mostly not be car nerds that use chassis codes, using an actual year seemed to work much better, but still not great. It can clearly distinguish the ND, and get the general vibes of the other models. It clearly can sometimes converge on an NA or NB (see below), but forcing it to do so is... challenging

I ran some experiments, each row is 4 different results for the same prompt. Each row is a different model, specified by year or VIN code.

Baseline & append model name

Append model year

Model name with underscore

Model year with underscore

Model year emphasized

Also another aspect are the styles. Some of them aren't really "neutral" and will tend to cause the model to converge on a particular style of car as well. I initially ran the experiment with the query I stole from someone here, "ektachrome photograph volumetric lighting f8 aperture cinematic eastman 5384 film, mazda miata". The results were vaguely miata-looking retro roadsters

It's possible to use weights on the year to counter it, but again see above for the limitations. Going to two or above serious wrecks poo poo lol.

As for the styles, this matrix is a bit messed up but clearly without "ektachrome" and "eastman 5384" it always draws an ND, but with them always an older NA-style roadster

Thanks for listening to my TED talk. As a bonus, here's a Civic 911, which is really what the Civic coupe should look like

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm really impressed with how accurately it draws the Honda and Mazda logos, I guess because they're single letters and distinctly letter shaped, rather than say the Chevy bowtie which isn't a letter, or Ferrari which is a stylized horse

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mobby_6kl posted:

So, regarding the model model types. As mentioned before, I found it pretty difficult to get the specific one I wanted. It probably comes down to the dataset and how it was (or wasn't) labeled. Since it would mostly not be car nerds that use chassis codes, using an actual year seemed to work much better, but still not great.

So I've only done some light playing around with the public UI's, and being from a small place it's been really interesting trying to generate "local" content. I think the key thing is while we may not know exactly what datasets have gone into it, it's probably safe to assume that stock photography is a big part of it, possibly along with press photos. So, consider how those sets would be described and tagged - like you say, model years working but not chassis codes lines up with that.

Back to the local content thing - "Auckland harbour" is a big area. We have two harbours with an infinite number of view points. However when I ask these AI's to generate Auckland harbour, they all look kinda the same - suspiciously like photos taken from the very popular and prominent viewpoints, which is also what you find in stock photos. Another one would be asking for a Māori person. In real life, not many Māori have the traditional moko face tattoo, they're regular people with brown skin. But AI's almost universally would generate someone with the moko! Again, because stock sets are full of Māori doing cultural displays so wearing full traditional garb. Imagine if every AI generated Japanese person was dressed as a samurai or a geisha - it's like that.

I think it's an interesting observation on the limitations of the AI, it only knows what it knows and there's a strong element of paint by numbers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Like "AI" for anything, it's down to it's training and dataset.
There's massive concern in the popular art world (Think, ArtStation, DeviantArt, and other less family friendly image posting sites) regarding AI art.
There's one AI in particular that uses on of the "boorus" (image posting sites, typically for NSFW stuff, often anime-style art) as it's source, as those images tend to be well tagged, and it's frighteningly good. You can still tell in a lot of cases (similar to wheels and badging on cars, AI has trouble with hands, feet, and some other stuff,) but with culls and refinements, some of it is very good. Which is bad, given how it's produced (stealing, basically, since this is actual art and creative work rather than stock photos and such.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The dataset definitely has a huge impact on the results, both in terms of scope and tagging. Some concerns about diversity and bias got brought up almost immediately (for DALL-E?), like "doctor" was always a white dude, because that's what most doctors in the sample looked like. Actually tested this a while ago in SD (posted in the GBS thread), "woman in red dress" is surprisingly diverse, of different ethnicities and body shapes, and not just skinny white supermodels (though all conventionally attractive).

Anyway, I believe I found the actual dataset that was used for training, and you can search it by keywords: https://rom1504.github.io/clip-retrieval/?back=https%3A%2F%2Fknn5.laion.ai&index=laion5B&useMclip=false&query=mazda+miata

Sometimes it's labeled MX-5, date is more frequent than the VIN codes, some garbage like stickers and shirts.

Darchangel posted:

Like "AI" for anything, it's down to it's training and dataset.
There's massive concern in the popular art world (Think, ArtStation, DeviantArt, and other less family friendly image posting sites) regarding AI art.
There's one AI in particular that uses on of the "boorus" (image posting sites, typically for NSFW stuff, often anime-style art) as it's source, as those images tend to be well tagged, and it's frighteningly good. You can still tell in a lot of cases (similar to wheels and badging on cars, AI has trouble with hands, feet, and some other stuff,) but with culls and refinements, some of it is very good. Which is bad, given how it's produced (stealing, basically, since this is actual art and creative work rather than stock photos and such.)
I finally gave it a shot after hearing how much better it is, and yeah the leaked NovelAI model is scary good at the stuff it's been trained at. Which is unfortunately anime girls.

It's not great for cars, but can still do some cool artsy stuff

Anyway, back with vanilla SD:

It can absolutely nail the ND, and for whatever reason, that's the model it settled on 100% of the time for this style, even though I never specified it. Unfortunately though, the actual impressionist style doesn't seem to properly apply to the car, no matter how much I tried emphasizing it in the prompt. This was the case for all images in this style.

I have another experiment running (100 images) so I'll go make dinner and then make a separate post about that (if it's interesting, hopefully).