Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How should voting be handled?
This poll is closed.
Select a panel of 3-5 judges from common community members or mods 6 27.27%
Community voting, any SA user can vote 14 63.64%
Other, explain below 2 9.09%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Okay I am done (well alright, I could have spent longer but the next couple of weeks will be crazy busy) so here is my finished submission and it is very much in the Identifiable Reagan category.

https://soundcloud.com/trellickindustrial/if-necessary-by-force/s-WLHwRqeLALe?si=747599eeb5c043e7b99e2e35ff68f40c

For the curious, the synths used are a Moog Werkstatt & DFAM as well as Phosycon 2 VST and one of Ableton's stock instruments.

Edit: I just lifted a bunch of samples from speeches here, because the transcripts on a lot of them made it easy to find phrases I liked. So there's samples from a bunch of those (definitely his address to the british parliament in 1982 and some others) as well as the 'evil empire' speech and a couple of movie samples from The Voice of Labor's set.

:pcgaming:

What was the bassline (the acid-y stuff) made by? The DFAM? What modulation/processing/FX? I love the hosed up growly poo poo you did to it, that plus still being squelchy af is :hmmyes:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

:pcgaming:

What was the bassline (the acid-y stuff) made by? The DFAM? What modulation/processing/FX? I love the hosed up growly poo poo you did to it, that plus still being squelchy af is :hmmyes:

yessss thanks! The bassline that's there from the start is actually two separately recorded patches on the Werkstatt playing the same melody - when it starts getting that metallic/distorted sound going on, that's the second patch you're hearing being brought up over the first. They do both get tweaked a bit as it goes on but most of the shifting in the bassline is acutally just changes in which patch is louder. Modulation, honestly I can't remember because I was just loving around and got a sound I really liked. The only fx on that is a little bit of compression, overdrive and delay/reverb all in Ableton tho. I think I might have a photo of the patches somewhere :v: The werkstatt is really fun, I need to spend more time with it because all I've really used it for is basslines.
The DFAM is the rhythmic noisy thing that comes in from 30 seconds onwards. If you're meaning the acid line that kicks in at 20 seconds or so tho, that's the Phosycon 2 VST.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

good tracks everyone!!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this is now in front of the best minds and calmest voters CSPAM has to offer

I asked Azathoth to pin, and also fix the hosed up thread tag on the smaller thread

main thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016385

unrecognizable thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016387

Oh I guess I should have mentioned but mine was very much unrecognizable

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

toadee posted:

Oh I guess I should have mentioned but mine was very much unrecognizable

It should be moved imo. I would have voted for it in that category.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

yessss thanks! The bassline that's there from the start is actually two separately recorded patches on the Werkstatt playing the same melody - when it starts getting that metallic/distorted sound going on, that's the second patch you're hearing being brought up over the first. They do both get tweaked a bit as it goes on but most of the shifting in the bassline is acutally just changes in which patch is louder. Modulation, honestly I can't remember because I was just loving around and got a sound I really liked. The only fx on that is a little bit of compression, overdrive and delay/reverb all in Ableton tho. I think I might have a photo of the patches somewhere :v: The werkstatt is really fun, I need to spend more time with it because all I've really used it for is basslines.
The DFAM is the rhythmic noisy thing that comes in from 30 seconds onwards. If you’re meaning the acid line that kicks in at 20 seconds or so tho, that’s the Phosycon 2 VST.

I think I might be identifying that part more - I’m bad at telling the difference between bassline and leadline sometimes :v: Whatever FX you have on that to make it sound all croaky is insane, and I’m really curious about the parameter automation on it, cause I’m always too lazy to tweak knobs on my acid-y lines. What chain did you have on it?

Anyway it’s all great I really like it!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 2, 2022

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
argh I don't think I can retro edit the polls, maybe mods can? If not I will kick a door prize of some kind to toadee for my fuckup. I had not listened to everything before I posted it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh, I have those cable ends I was boasting about, these are the ones:

Switchcraft, the guy who sold them to me (by the pound) averred they were mil spec.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So built by whoever bid the lowest?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

So built by whoever bid the lowest?

designed to be something that an 18-year-old can operate in the mud

No they are legit nice, though you may want to loctite the threads. Which are remarkably fine threads for this kind of thing, all steel. Well, you know Switchcraft.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

gratz to xzzy and catblack and thanks to all for playing along! Winners posted in CSPAM threads, I will pay out as soon as I get payment info from people :10bux:

i do like the idea of a Valentine's-day due "Love Letter to Nixon" contest with basically no other requirements: no toxx, no sample usage, no instrumentation. whatever the creator believes is a love ballad from them to Nixon expressing deep felt love of SOMETHING, is fine??

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

gratz to xzzy and catblack and thanks to all for playing along! Winners posted in CSPAM threads, I will pay out as soon as I get payment info from people :10bux:

i do like the idea of a Valentine's-day due "Love Letter to Nixon" contest with basically no other requirements: no toxx, no sample usage, no instrumentation. whatever the creator believes is a love ballad from them to Nixon expressing deep felt love of SOMETHING, is fine??

I'd like to ask xzzy and catblack to pm me a mailing address and I'll make you a couple RCA cables each.

I'm personally interested in doing some Trumpwave, I just don't feel it for these old fogies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was definitely fun but dang sourcing voice samples is a lot of work. I do like the idea of changing the characters around but I'm not sure I'd deep dive like I did on this one (and use maybe a dozen clips from all that work). I don't really want to do Reagan again either, but it would be nice to make further use of the chops folder I built.

I really felt like the odd man out, everyone did these awesome experimental synth heavy bits and I slap out some goofy old school boots and pants thing. But I guess that's why pop music is pop music.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
As someone with no good sampling setup/skills, I think songs like yours are what this competition should be all about. I kinda just did my regular thing but fed some reagan through my clouds to qualify for the competition. Would like to have made something more thematic.

Looking forward to all the loot i won thouhj

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

xzzy posted:

I really felt like the odd man out, everyone did these awesome experimental synth heavy bits and I slap out some goofy old school boots and pants thing. But I guess that's why pop music is pop music.

cspam's much dumber than it thinks it is

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I got a vote, somehow.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

There, there, we'll have other competitions

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

as someone who spent a lot of 2021 - 2023 posting in cspam

....yeah, but it's still smarter than most of the forums, and most of the forums are still smarter than the internet as a whole so what the gently caress does that say about us as a species

xzzy got paid out in paypal, catblacks "envelope of cash" will go out tomorrow (ADR or ADSR, still to be decided), this was super fun, I got some motivation to start to understand "RECORDING". Look forward to doing more stuffs in future.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m still surprised I got any votes at all.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I’m still surprised I got any votes at all.

I liked your submission, and I figure whoever voted for me was voting blind or cspam chaos factor, but, we can all be as self-deprecating as we want, in the end, we said we'd do a thing, and we did it!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Was fun time. Good idea, and thanks for getting this going, Cabbages and Kings

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

....yeah, but it's still smarter than most of the forums, and most of the forums are still smarter than the internet as a whole so what the gently caress does that say about us as a species

we are dumb, panicky animals who are easily led by a strong voice and a firm handshake

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Kesper North posted:

we are dumb, panicky animals who are easily led by a strong voice and a firm handshake

not me! i'm not even effected by advertising!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kesper North posted:

Jokes on you, I'm a pasty internet nerd shut-in who gets a bit sweaty and panicky at the prospect of physical contact, and a firm handshake is my kryptonite. Hence my posting in a synth challenge thread, obviously.

It was a fun challenge, thanks for getting thinking this up Cabbages and Kings, and all the other folk who threw down some Reagan vibes.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I'm just :stoked: because I actually got some votes!

I would totally buy a cassette copy of this compilation, even though shipping to Canada will probably be around double the price of the tape.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

im_sorry posted:

I'm just :stoked: because I actually got some votes!

I would totally buy a cassette copy of this compilation, even though shipping to Canada will probably be around double the price of the tape.
I'll group buy with yah, and video toaster is up here with us too. Not sure if we have other Canucks in the compilation, but I think it fits crtc cancon regs for broadcast

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

as someone who spent a lot of 2021 - 2023 posting in cspam

it doesn't say anything about the species except those of the species privileged to be posting on the internet

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
cspam is a terrible subforum. imagine posting about politics instead of posting about synthesizers

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

cspam is a terrible subforum. imagine posting about politics instead of posting about synthesizers

It's a great place for shooting the poo poo.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Has the musk thread, which has been worth far more than tenbux so far.

First line of the op "this is the thread to bully a rich nerd"

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Release the tapes!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bonus points if you actually mix and master mine :v:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i thought all the entries were great and i think the votes should have been distributed equally

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Forgot to mention it but yeah i'd buy a tape

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

CatBlack posted:

Forgot to mention it but yeah i'd buy a tape

noted. let me see what the situation for sourcing blanks is like in 2022 TYooL, I have a small stash of Memorex gold I got off ebay, heh. I bet someone is making new ones now. Maybe.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

bimart, the local old people store, has both blank tapes and blank cds on their shelves.

might as well just go all out and press it to vinyl

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

might as well just go all out and press it to vinyl

...using that piece of poo poo new vinyl cutter from TE? :laugh:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Love TE actively embracing the Ronco resemblance in their making rebranding and doubling the price of unnecessary crap.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I haven't even made the cables yet and I'm all hot to do another contest, jeez. I've told cabbages and kings, I have a couple of extremely weird obscure pieces of hardware to offer to the winners of the next one.

Cable update: the table I scavenged to use for my soldering station doesn't have any legs. I'm making sawhorses to use for the table, then I begin assembling the workstation. Sorry to be moving so slowly, really stoned.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there hippies you have a place to do your dirty valentines day with nixon italo disco tracks

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019517