Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

It just occurred to me that I have never, in my entire life, seen one being serviced in any way. And I'm a construction worker, so it should have come up by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

have you ever seen a fountain full of mold and algae?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

have you ever seen a fountain full of mold and algae?

Yeah. I have a water fountain for my cat, I clean it about every 3 weeks. Filter always has slime all over it.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

pencilhands posted:

Yeah. I have a water fountain for my cat, I clean it about every 3 weeks. Filter always has slime all over it.

it's because you keep touching it and then putting it back did you ever think of that

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Millions of people die every year due to water fountain algae, it's a real menace to society

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It's find. The lips of the previous drinker wipes the spout clean.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

pencilhands posted:

Holy mackerel
I quit using one because it would feel slimy after 2 days and was a pain in the loving rear end to wash

Just use a bowl and throw the fountain out if you are only cleaning it once every 3 weeks

PLEASE

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I regularly drank spring water with algae as a kid and I’m doing just fine OP. :colbert:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
People will sell you water if they could.

naem
May 29, 2011

I like to drink water with my mouth

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Mold is for making cheese my friend

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

It just occurred to me that I have never, in my entire life, seen one being serviced in any way. And I'm a construction worker, so it should have come up by now.

how often do you work on or near water fountains?

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO

pencilhands posted:

I have a guy who does a yearly full clean from my kitchen taps right back to the water source.

Maybe less functional countries don't have this service.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
also you know we have indoor plumbing, right? It's not ancient greece, where you have to go to the fountain to get clean water

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

get a small fishtank filter and a large metal bowl for your pets, it'll be a lot cleaner

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

get a small fishtank filter and a large metal bowl for your pets, it'll be a lot cleaner

how loving long is it between when you see your pets? Just change the water every goddam day

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Pretty sure the OP is a time traveler from the 1800s

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how often do you work on or near water fountains?

I work in public buildings. So schools, libraries, town halls, etc. - most of the buildings I work in have water fountains.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Spinz posted:

Holy mackerel
I quit using one because it would feel slimy after 2 days and was a pain in the loving rear end to wash

Just use a bowl and throw the fountain out if you are only cleaning it once every 3 weeks

PLEASE

Okay, but doesn't this just prove my point? A cat's mouth isn't any dirtier than ours.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

I work in public buildings. So schools, libraries, town halls, etc. - most of the buildings I work in have water fountains.

so, near them sometimes. Are you a plumber? My mother was a librarian, and my best friend is a public school teacher. They also work near water fountains, but have no understanding about how they work

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Mold and algae is good for you. It’s just freshwater seaweed.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'm algay

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

pencilhands posted:

Okay, but doesn't this just prove my point? A cat's mouth isn't any dirtier than ours.

I don't know what point and we also brush our teeth every day and have dentistry so I actually think you are wrong.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
They're just taps, OP. They don't have reservoirs like your cat's fountain. They're about as subject to mold and algae as your bathroom sink.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Devils Affricate posted:

They're just taps, OP. They don't have reservoirs like your cat's fountain. They're about as subject to mold and algae as your bathroom sink.

Well that's reassuring, thank you.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I had a cat that got kidney problems because he did not like to drink still water and would only drink out of the kitchen sink tap when it was on a trickle. We tried a fountain, but it would break, required constant cleaning, and was loud in our small apartment. Eventually we just gave up and would run the sink for him when he jumped up there (he did not meow, not once in his life)

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Only if you don't change the filter on them. When the filter gets really gross it actually affects the water pressure. Seen it. Would prefer not to deal with it again.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do these pets train you?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

pencilhands posted:

Oh, I actually took a microbiology class where we grew stuff in a petri dish from three different water sources, distilled water from the lab, pond water and mystery sample. The pond water grew some bacteria in the culture, but the mystery sample did the most, turned out it was from the drinking fountain outside the class. Heavy corrosion and lime build up makes a porous surface that can sustain biofilm and bacterial colonies that can taint the water from the fountain. So if it's shiny and clean looking it should be fine.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Is this the thread that Yaldabaoth was talking about

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the mystery sample was piss

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
A long time ago someone on the front page did water fountain reviews and they were really funny

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Algae is stored in the balls

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

you can use them to give your balls a little rinse.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Some of them are just full of hobo piss OP.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No, usually I come by to suck out all the mold and algae

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ones in Tokyo are nice and clean. Maybe the issue is America is a failed country?

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
People let their dogs drink and slobber all over them, which I say is more gross

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Government runs sterilizing agents through the water (also sterilize ur seemen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

You ever been killed by mold or algae? No? Then shut the gently caress up and drink.