Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Air Goons' Intarnational Air Race
Date: 24 September, 2022, at 2000 Universal Time, Coordinated. Lasts for two hours or so.
Where: Air Goons Discord, https://discord.gg/NpHC33fYUD

What’s this? TLDR: download a completely free simulator game, come fly it in an air race event with other goons who are learning the game. No experience or gear necessary, nor money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALFcgeQ7gk

Welcome to the Air Goon Intarnational Air Race! In this race, goons will take to the skies in Mustangs and race a circuit, land on a boat, and try to hit a helicopter. Best part about this is the fact that it is completely free for you to join in, and you do not need any experience!

You read right: it is free. The modern combat simulator, DCS World, is the base game of the simulator and it is completely free. It comes with two free huge maps to play in, the Caucasus region and the Marianas Islands of the Pacific. It also has two free planes, the Su-25T Frogfoot, and the TF-51 Mustang. The TF-51 is the trainer, unarmed version of the famous North American P-51 Mustang. It is modeled down to every rivet, nut and bolt, with each handle and button in the cockpit usable by you. However, learning to fly is very easy. The Frogfoot is a famous Russian attack plane that is used by both sides in the current war, and this plane is capable of holding its own in modern scenarios.

You can use any basic joystick you might have, but an xbox controller will also suffice, as will most other gamepads. The game works well with all modern VR-headsets, even if it becomes fairly demanding on your desktop with those.

Air Goons are the flight simulator and plane game enthusiasts, with interests in all kinds of games that involve objects that travel through means other than rigid contact with a solid surface. Planes, choppers, space ships, whatever it may be. There’s other games in there too, usually somehow tangentially related to aviation or perhaps strategy. Some goons like flying airliners cross-country while others dogfight like it’s 1943. Skill and gear levels vary wildly, but if something unifies goons, it is their eagerness to help people get off the ground. Quite literally. If you have even a hint of interest, jump in and let’s do this!

If you’re worried about your skill:

Don’t worry. Here's me loving up a takeoff badly.

Any skill level is fine; props are tricky to take off in, but don’t be a dick to anyone deliberately. If you want help with anything, ask in the discord in #dcs-general.

If you just want to watch, we’ll likely have multiple streams up like our usual missions; we’ll post them in the thread just before the start

Threads:
Our current co-op campaign thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993395

The DCS Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Civilian Sims Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942445

WW2 and IL-2 Sims:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413

Download DCS!
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/DCS_World_Steam_Edition/
Standalone Client: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/ (open beta is the multiplayer default, explanation below)

Installing DCS:
First you have to choose if you would like to get DCS from Steam or the standalone client. Steam’s easier to get, and easier to keep up to date; however the standalone client has longer sales, and the ability to trial almost all aircraft once each every six months for two weeks. Right now that you are meddling without purchased modules, the decision is not final as your Eagle Dynamics account will be the same for both. But later on, modules from Standalone can not be transferred to Steam. However, you may transfer from Steam to Standalone.

After you have started installing the game, you need to use the OpenBeta client. Despite its name, this client is effectively the properly used stable version in this game. It’s a whole thing to unpack. What you need to know - if you’re playing online, all the good servers will be on the latest open beta.
On Steam, you right click into the properties of the game and choose the openbeta branch.
On standalone, follow the link above! If you already have stable installed, you’re going to have to do some command line stuff if you don’t want to reinstall. Navigate to your DCS install directory, then into \bin. Run the command:
“.\DCS_updater.exe update '@openbeta'”

Set up Binds:
Open up DCS, select the gear (options) in the upper left of the main menu.

Select the controls tab, then select TF-51D Real from the left drop down below the tabs.

To bind something, find the controller you’re using across the top, and the item you want to bind on the left, then double click the cell at the intersection of the two (the cell z above for keyboard bind for aircraft rudder left). Buttons are shown first, but you can get to your controller axis by selecting “axis commands” from the second dropdown on the top. Push the button or cycle the axis fully to program it, and remember to test in game. If the axis is backwards, highlight it again, hit the axis settings… button on the bottom and then check the invert box and hit ok.

Recommended axes In order of importance:
pitch and roll
rudder
throttle
engine rpm setting
left and right wheel brakes (or just wheel brakes if you have 1 remaining axis)

Recommended Commands:
All the axes above that you haven’t bound. Especially wheel brake left and right if you don’t have them.
Flaps up and down
Landing gear up down
View keys if you’re not using the mouse
Trim elevator up and down
Trim rudder left and right
War emergency power
Trim aileron left and right are nice to have controls
Keep a button free for discord PTT if you use it

The aircraft will be perfectly flyable with pitch roll and rudder bound, and anything else is a bonus. Mouse is used to click things in the cockpit, and can also be used for look. Toggle between the two with left alt + c

Aircraft reference:
https://www.airgoons.com/w/P-51D_Mustang
Note, you can autostart it with Right Win key + Home key if you’re on the Dogfight server. If you don’t have that, look for start procedure in the binds and bind it to something that makes sense. Race planes will be hot started, with engine rolling.

Tips
On the ground:
You only have steering with the rudder when the aircraft is moving; and the faster you go, the more authority you have. Otherwise you will have to use differential braking to turn: Left wheel brake will make the plane turn left, right brake will turn right. Get rolling and tap the brakes. You won’t be able to see around the nose while taxiing straight, so swerve side to side to get a picture of what’s ahead of you.

Takeoff:
Be smooth with the throttle; jamming it open will end up with you in a ditch on fire. Line up and then hold back on the stick to lock the tail wheel. Prop RPM to max, then throttle up to the top of the green manifold pressure bar while holding the brakes. Release the breaks and go to max throttle. Let go of stick back pressure when you hit 100 mph. Rotate and get the gear up at 120 mph.

Flying:
Pull the throttle back until the manifold pressure is less than 46 in. Hg, and pull the engine rpm back to below 2700 r.p.m. (max continuous power) unless you want to blow up the motor.
If you’re at a manifold pressure of 61 in. Hg. and 3000 r.p.m. it’ll blow up in 5-15 minutes. At war emergency power, you have 5 minutes max. Remember to bind it!

Landing:
Flap and gear speeds are on the front panel, along with prop r.p.m. Set prop rpm and ease the throttle back while keeping the nose level to slow down, approach in a turn to be able to see the landing area, then once you’re slow enough set full flaps and lower the landing gear. Keep the speed around 150 mph until you’re on final, then slow down to 120 mph as you cross the runway threshold. Cut the throttle, and flare, holding the aircraft’s nose up while just above the runway until you ideally touch down with all three landing gear at once. Steer with the rudder as you slow down, and break gently or you’ll slam the nose into the runway.

Multiplayer and joining the air goons servers:
Most of the time, Air Goons run two 24/7 servers for this game. The Even Lamer Dogfight Server runs an open practice server with the Caucasus map, all planes, and no mods to allow anyone to connect without having them purchase a module. The Even Lamer Goon Server runs our co-op campaign game and Syria-map based missions, and other weekly shenanigans; this will likely require a purchased map, and possibly a mod to join. Ask in #dcs-general if you can’t connect for whatever reason We will make a practice server that has circuits and landing challenges and set it up on the Even Lamer Goon Server so that you don’t have to wait for game day to test out your Mustang or how the tracks look like. It will not be the same, but it will be similar. Hop on Discord and fly around there and you’ll quickly attract friends. Ask in #dcs-general on the Air Goons discord for info on how to connect and password. You can also ask for help with controller set up and other troubleshooting there or in #help-channel

Race details:
During signup (sheet linked in the air race thread in the #dcs-general channel,) each goon is put into one of the teams. There’s team ANIME, Team CHEETOS, and Team BASEMENT. Each team will be in one event at a time, and at a time cue, the organizers will announce a rotation and the teams will rotate to the next station. After three rotations, as in when each team has gotten each event, the race concludes. These teams are administrative, as it is individual performance and individual points. The teams do offer a handy way for you to fly with a friend you wish to sign up with, making sure you are in the same events at the same time.

Each event will have their announcer and the referee, so standings and happenings are being spoken about in real time in the discord channel, and the referee sorts out disagreements and tallies the points.

Event 1: Circuit Race.
The seaside takes them through two gates made out of Kuznetzov-carriers sitting right next to each other. More to follow on this event.

Event 2: Carrier Landing.
You will attempt to land on the USS Stennis, with your propeller intact, without sliding off on any side of the deck.

The Mustang is not a naval plane, so expect carnage.

Event 3: Chopper Tag.
Hit the Gazelle, get a point. Simple premise. An esteemed Air Goon Admin will be flying a Gazelle helicopter in wild colors over a certain area, and your job is to hit him in order to score a point. Try not to crash into anyone else, though.

Aircraft Livery Contest:
If you’d like, submit a skin for a mustang to the air race skins thread in #dcs-general and the top 5 as judged by a panel of air goons will be included in an air goons skin pack that will be available for download and install before the air race starts to open up the variety of skins that goons can choose from. If you want help making a skin, ask in #dcs-general or #help-channel
Rules for the contest:
Airgoon discord guidelines apply, including #1:
Don’t be a jerk. Old-time nihilist gooning isn’t in fashion anymore. Respect everyone, and be tolerant of all kinds of people. Be inclusive, and don’t use hateful language, even as a joke. Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. Sexism, xenophobia, gendered insults, misogyny, you name it. No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DCS World Steam Edition: last played 2015.

Reinstalling for this.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
:radcat:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Plane go nyoom.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Basement Bois are ready

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I will be a fair and impartial judge and score as such:

Lumme
Mar 2, 2013
Anime squadron represent! How ugly plane skins will the teams get? And what is the first place price going to be, an F-14 bodypillow?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
OK, I'm interested! How much of a jump is the Mustang in DCS, coming from X-Plane? In X-Plane I can land a Cessna 172 and Beechcraft King Air.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 15, 2022

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
A lot of DCS's study simulator difficulty comes down to using the various systems in a plane (and starting it in the first place), but a Mustang with a hot start is just an engine that's already on. If you're familiar with PLANE it shouldn't be to bad.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Beexoffel posted:

OK, I'm interested! How much of a jump is the Mustang in DCS, coming from X-Plane? In X-Plane I can land a Cessna 172 and Beechcraft King Air.

You are well trained! We’ve had people jump in from flying in GTA5 to figuring it out.

Like above comment says, it’s already hot started. Map controls and off you go!

This weekend we’ll host the Mustang Race multiplayer training server to fly around with other goons.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Mustang can be a bit of a handful at takeoff and landing, but it will teach you the importance of trim.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

MrYenko posted:

The Mustang can be a bit of a handful at takeoff and landing, but it will teach you the importance of trim.

I haven't flown a prop plane in a while, so excited to crash on takeoff.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Gamerofthegame posted:

A lot of DCS's study simulator difficulty comes down to using the various systems in a plane (and starting it in the first place), but a Mustang with a hot start is just an engine that's already on. If you're familiar with PLANE it shouldn't be to bad.

Vahakyla posted:

You are well trained! We’ve had people jump in from flying in GTA5 to figuring it out.

Like above comment says, it’s already hot started. Map controls and off you go!

This weekend we’ll host the Mustang Race multiplayer training server to fly around with other goons.

MrYenko posted:

Thanks! Then I'll find the soonest to install DCS and set stuff up.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

What's the landing on the Stennis look like? Steaming into the wind? Just a flat deck in the middle of the ocean?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Reminder that if you want to partake, add your name here to your chosen team: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=2117311160

If the tab won't work, choose "Air Race signups".

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i saw an ad banner for this thing and i clicked it. i have played a ton of ace combat games so i assume i'm already some kind of ultra-ace. how many hundreds of missiles do those shitheap prop planes carry anyway? well i'll check it out and maybe i'll sign up. my father only crashed two planes in his life as far as i can recall and he came out alive both times so walking away from a landing probably runs in the family

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Tag the gazelle and your reward is one free post to moan and whine about flight envelopes.

https://youtu.be/Ikh0hSN_KJk

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Lumme posted:

Anime squadron represent! How ugly plane skins will the teams get? And what is the first place price going to be, an F-14 bodypillow?

Prime’s been curating a pack, there should be some terrible and good ones. A reminder: we do have a contest for skins if someone wants to create one. The best 5 will be included, subject to the whims of the goon judges. Rules in the first post.

As for prizes, nothing at the moment - we can’t tell what you’re running, from keyboard and mouse to full nerd nest, and that might skew the standings a bit.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i saw an ad banner for this thing and i clicked it. i have played a ton of ace combat games so i assume i'm already some kind of ultra-ace. how many hundreds of missiles do those shitheap prop planes carry anyway? well i'll check it out and maybe i'll sign up. my father only crashed two planes in his life as far as i can recall and he came out alive both times so walking away from a landing probably runs in the family

Sounds like you are almost over-qualified!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Keen to try a carrier landing if up for training this weekend, can land in the vicinity of a runway, that's gotta be good enough right?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Circuit race tentative setup.
This is how it is on the goon server right now for practice purposes.

Whenever flying between airshow gates, you may never be higher than the airshow cone gate.

When flying between ships, you may never be higher than the tallest part of the ship.

The lit fires always denote outer limits of the course.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 18, 2022

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The last Air Goons Air Race was really fun. Those unfamiliar with the free TF-51 (P-51 trainer type WWII fighter) got quite familiar over the handful of events, making for quite a dynamic race. Even the Air Goons regulars don't fly DCS propeller aircraft with meaningful frequency, so anyone can be competitive in this event.

It's free. Please don't hesitate to sign up, ask questions, hop on to practice.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
OK I got it working and found a runway!

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Beexoffel posted:

Qualified. You actually got it back to a field.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Beexoffel posted:

It’s on the ground, it’s not moving, it’s not upside down, and it’s still mostly in one piece with only a little bit of fire.

Solid work.

:colbert:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok,

Having the carrier not in the middle of the ocean is REALLY messing up my horizon reference. Full points for making this one a bastard.

The pylon turn on a ridge through a treeline is also very challenging. Full points for making that one a bastard, too.

Under a bridge as a turn point? 4/10; tired.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Snapshot posted:

Qualified. You actually got it back to a field.

MrYenko posted:

It’s on the ground, it’s not moving, it’s not upside down, and it’s still mostly in one piece with only a little bit of fire.

Solid work.

:colbert:

So I have a chance at finishing the race! :tipshat:

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Beexoffel posted:

So I have a chance at finishing the race! :tipshat:

You finish the race in the air. No concerns there. That landing method will also help you stop quickly on the carrier, but will lose you some points for style and damage.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Jazzahn about to score (?)

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.
meanwhile, somewhere in the black sea

goons doing what goons do best

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It was a good day for practice. Everyone managed to make it to the deck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
practicing for the carrier is heretical

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Reminder that the race is this saturday. There’s plenty of time to stilm hop in and have a great time, so please sign up and get in.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Here's a recording of the last race day. It isn't edited, while it lacks some polish it can give you an idea of what to expect. Race rules are different this time, beware.

https://youtu.be/5nUMDWWoITc

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The Race starts in 29 hours from now, at 2000 UTC on Saturday the 24th.

You may still hop in and get in on this by signing up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=2117311160

And you can join Air Goons Discord to learn the track and get help installing or setting up controls.
Final grading rules should be posted tonight by me in this thread!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I was screwing around, minding my own business, stuffing planes into the fantail of supercarriers (as one does) when I was enlisted to test out the server and streaming settings and chase cameras and the right amount of heckling to give to competitors.

All checks sat. No discrepancies noted. This competition is released safe for flight.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren: it is getting closer.

Here are the final rules in play for tomorrow's race.

quote:

Circuit Race:

Race starts from parking, engine hot. Each participant taxies to the runway and waits for the start command.
Winner is decided by completion of three laps. Third lap completes at the pictured red line.

Time: Until completion (roughly 10-13 minutes)

1st: 100 points
2nd: 70 points
3rd: 50 points
4th: 30 points
5th:10 points

quote:

Carrier Landing:
Time: Until completion
A little more detail on landing scoring:
Approach - 30 points
Call out what you're doing, and execute. Steady approach unless otherwise called.
Deductions for being all over the place, being sloppy if you call something. Getting a wave off call will get 0 points.

Landing - 30 points
Distance matters.
30 points - aft of the wires
20 points - in the wires
10 points - forward of the wires

Post landing - 20 points
Damage and control post landing.
Deductions for losing control - uncalled ground loop -10 points
Damage to the aircraft - each part damaged will be -5 points, to a minimum of zero

Style - 20 points
Arbitrary marks for style and aircraft control, such as: 3 point landing, calling a manoeuvre and executing it, extremely short landings, taking off from the carrier after landing.

Short carriers if in: 1.2 multiplier for the tarawa, 1.3 multiplier for the invincible.

quote:

Chopper tag:

Each racer starts from parking. When event starts, people independently taxi to runway and take off, and try to hit the tigerstriped gazelle flying near the runway. After impact or crashing, player slots in again to taxi and takeoff again.

10 points for an impact that destroyed the chopper
20 points for if you manage to scare Muhlump
30 points if you whack him with a complete and utter surprise

Green here is a suggestion. Take off wherever you wish.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 24, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Call out what you're doing, and execute. Steady approach unless otherwise called.
Deductions for being all over the place, being sloppy if you call something. Getting a wave off call will get 0 points.

Idiot noob question: What does this mean? It sounds like I should know some kind of procedure but what is going to happen is I will say 'I'm aiming for the one on the right' and then I will immediately glide off the deck into the shoreline.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Chubby Henparty posted:

Idiot noob question: What does this mean? It sounds like I should know some kind of procedure but what is going to happen is I will say 'I'm aiming for the one on the right' and then I will immediately glide off the deck into the shoreline.

If you’re doing something different than straight in on the big carrier, I want to know what’s happening. “I’m aiming for the one on the right” is exactly what I want to hear. If you don’t think you’re going to make it and you need to go around, call it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Brilliant, thanks!