Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I looked for a few pages and there is all these threads about series that last forever and get boring af but wheres the thread about the poo poo that ends in 1 chapter.

I was looking on mangadex and saw this which inspired me to make this. Thank you Kitahara Junichi.

Cry-Ant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Also this one from the top of my head which is from the chainsaw guy. thank you chainsaw guy.

Viz: Goodbye, Eri
Rando manga site: link

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
time to repost the most upvoted oneshots on r manga

starting later today

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's an oldie but a good joke: Cockroach Busters by Murata.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Homeless Friend posted:

Also this one from the top of my head which is from the chainsaw guy. thank you chainsaw guy.

All of Fujimoto's one shots are great. Look Back is also up there

Viz Link

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Homeless Friend posted:

Goodbye, Eri is absolutely GOATed

One of my fav one shots is the sixth one (Stars and Swallows) in this collection of stories by the creator of Rock It, Girl!!

https://mangadex.org/title/f5aec30f-da2a-42d6-8398-c9a3d9997b66/mette-sarete-kya

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Speaking of /r/manga...

Andy

A little animal gore frog leg all smashed up if that's not to your liking.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hypocrisy posted:

Speaking of /r/manga...

Andy

A little animal gore frog leg all smashed up if that's not to your liking.

Yeah not sure what to think of this one. Feels like there's some allegory I'm missing

Here are some one-shots I've read in the recent past that I liked:

Teleport Revolution

Guy can teleport...but with some extreme conditions

Destronaut

Old Japanese swordsman becomes an astronaut

Carp

Carp

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 13, 2022

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah not sure what to think of this one. Feels like there's some allegory I'm missing

"Feels like there's some allegory I'm missing" describes at least a quarter of all one-shot manga, lol. (Other common thoughts on one-shots are "too many plot twists in too little space" and "would make a good first chapter of a series but isn't very interesting by itself.")

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's all the good parts but none of the slog.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
The Fourth Heroine

Everyone leads a normal harem comedy life...until the fourth heroine shows up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I guessed where that one was heading, but I did not expect the path it took to get there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's one that deserves more chapters.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Nude Model

By the author of Blue Period, I feel like it was basically a prototype for that series.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/K8CtLmV/1/1/

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
We're Getting A Divorce
32 pages

https://mangadex.org/title/2f467a6a-7140-4dce-a688-4f35be44f39c/watashitachi-rikon-shimasu

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://mangadex.org/title/2a870676-3c32-476f-b65f-c3996fac978c/the-result-of-a-pillow-talk-with-a-very-serious-girlfriend

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Endless Mermaid

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I liked it well enough but what was with the random Japanese?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mokke's Calamity

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
My Girlfriend is AI-drawn

I hope the author does more, it’s a very clever concept. And has plenty of potential for body horror

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://mangadex.org/title/03adcc45-74d2-4be6-bc1e-b239f265ea3f/akuma-chan funny

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Strong Interrogation Princess energy.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Wolf by the dragon ball guy

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Scrap Circus

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Interesting.

I mean, the manga itself is interesting, but it's also interesting for the context. It's a product of Jump's recent international initiatives to try to get manga from creators around the world, judging from the author name and the available languages, and the art reflects that.

I don't want to say "it doesn't look like manga", since that covers Urasawa and Nagai, Me and Roboco and Blue Box, Blade of the Immortal and Blame. There's huge variety and this doesn't violate some unwritten rule. It does, however, show much more influence from European comic culture than most manga, which is neat. Gives it a different feel from the usual Jump stuff.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It showed promise but it definitely was an amateur work. I think it would have been improved by having a bit less dialogue because the mood was often pretty good. I’d be interested to see more comics by this creator

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That was quite nice, the art shows a lot of promise

The other award winner otoh
Garbage

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 27, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Homeless Friend posted:

goodbye eri is really good and kinda permanently stuck in my head along with look back. Fujimoto ftw.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neat. i like the noir influence. as others said the dialogue is kinda whack and the typesetting is loving horrible but that's probably not the authors fault.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Garbage

Gotta love how in a world where the two sexes are segregated, each one conforms to strict gender norms, and they both fall into late 20th century gender roles the instant the barrier is brought down.

Also good to know that, according to this manga at least, peace and harmony can only be found if we just stick to good ol' traditional family values.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how it completely skips past the idea that maybe a few members of the mono-gender nations were in homosexual relationships already.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made it like 3 panels in before I went nope, not gonna be anything to see here. Lol. Must have not been a very competitive award, I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I thought Garbage was the title lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that the most interesting part, them interacting for the first time and getting used to each other, is completely skipped over. even in terms of a oneshot i feel like you could easily use more time with that.t

that said story/dialog isnt the only thing these awards judge. the art is competent. the paneling kind of sucks rear end tho but the artist at least kind of has an idea how to put together a story. when you're dealing with the kind of contests that high schoolers and people who absolutely cannot draw enter, that can be enough to carry something even if the story they put together sucks.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Garbage
This could easily have been the script for an episode of 'The Outer Limits'. That's how bad this was.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Friends in the Mirror

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Garbage

Even buying into the premise it's 42 pages too long.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.reddit.com/gallery/10hy68e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Two more amateur oneshots from Mangaplus!

I Sold My Body To A God!

This was pretty mediocre. Too horny, the setting is wasted, the designs of the gods aren’t interesting. It felt like something a high schooler would make.

Ruthless Render

This one is a lot better. It’s still amateur, it talks too much and explains too much, but I there’s good ideas and execution here