Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Problem description: If I sneeze at a display too hard, the mac loses the connection, and it will only ever connect to one of my externals, unless I reboot (which is not working all the time either).
Attempted fixes:Reboot, checked all the cables.
Recent changes: No, has happened since I got it (work laptop)

--

Operating system: OSX 12.4
System specs: M1 Pro chip

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Monitor 1 - Gigabyte M27Q KVM @ 1440p (Hooked up via HDMI)
Monitor 2 - ViewSonic 24" 1080p (no HDMI, hooked up via DP)

Monitor works fine when switching back and forth. It seems to have issues coming out of sleep (I forget to turn on amphetamine) or just now when I accidentally turned off a monitor while adjusting it. After that happened, I could not get the mac to put up both monitors at the same time, no matter what I did. A restart did not even work, I had to turn it off completely, then start it back up. This typically happens when coming out of sleep, but for some reason not when it's coming out of any 'deep sleep' (IE: overnight).

I have been debating getting a hub, but I don't know if that is going to actually fix my problem or not. I am not an apple user so I'm pretty stumped.

I have:
- Attempted to detect displays
- unplugged monitor cables and switched port (the first to be plugged in, doesn't matter which one, is the one that works)
- putting the monitor to sleep via the apple menu
- Restarting.

Only powering down the laptop and turning it back on works. This has NOT happened so far when using the monitor's KVM functionality, ONLY when a monitor gets turned off or it goes into a short sleep phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Have you tried different cables? Not sure what you mean by "checked all the cables." If you just did a visual check it's possible there's damage that can't be seen.

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have been debating getting a hub, but I don't know if that is going to actually fix my problem or not. I am not an apple user so I'm pretty stumped.

It could.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Zogo posted:

Have you tried different cables? Not sure what you mean by "checked all the cables." If you just did a visual check it's possible there's damage that can't be seen.

It could.

Well, they're brand new. One is USBC to HDMI adapter with HDMI cable plugged in (it was replaced), the other was a direct usbc to Displayport.

Again, when this happens, each monitor will work individually, but not together, unless I completely shut down and start the macbook. There's no glitching/flashing/etc (which doesn't mean much, but that is a telltale sign a digital cable is going bad) when they are on, they work perfectly. It's just funny I literally turn a monitor off, and it will not connect again, at all.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So as an FYI, it seems a lot of the problems go down to the new M1 chips Apple uses. One of the programs I used (Amphetamine) to keep the laptop awake did NOT work well with the M1, and was causing most of my problems.