Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Below is a quick list of popular IYG threads that haven't had their OPs updated in several years, with the nature of technology I feel like it'd be good to have a little less time in between OPs, or at least have them updated.

If you want to take on a new thread, please post here that you'd like to work on it and then once done I can close the old thread and link to the new one.

Users who successfully take on a thread will get their choice of reward! These include: av changes, platinum account, no ads, name change, banner ad, smilies, custom plat icon, or even your own gang tag (do we have a general IYG one??).

Recommend me tablet - November 2013 (updated March 2016)

Recommend me phone/plan - December 2008 (updated October 2012)

Cutting Cable - June 2012

Project Fi - October 2015

Ridicule Audiophiles - July 2009 New thread by Mr. Mercury located here.

E-Reader - November 2010 (updated May 2019)

T-Mobile - January 2014 (updated August 2014)

Android thread - December 2014 (updated 2016) - New thread by Mr. Mercury located here

iPhone thread - New thread by Rageaholic located here

Headphone thread - August 2013 New thread by Mr. Mercury located here

Audio questions - March 2007

Home automation/security - May 2014

Apple TV - October 2015 (updated December 2017)

Wear OS - April 2015 (updated December 2015)

Canadian Cellular - June 2012 (updated December 2013)

Turntable thread - November 2008 (updated June 2013)

Home audio - January 2011 (updated March 2015)

AT&T thread - March 2013 (updated September 2018)

HTPC thread - March 2007 (updated June 2008)

iPad thread - June 2013

If there's a thread in the forum not listed here feel free to bring attention to it!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
New threads to replace old ones will go here

Done

iPhone thread by Rageaholic

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
I think I'd like to do a real OP for the Audiophile thread. It's the only one like it here and it currently gets a weird mix of (deserved) ridicule and some at least partially serious discussion of high-end audio. There's naturally going to be some overlap between those groups and it might be nice to start over with a more inclusive swath, making clear that it's still okay to rip into things like $5k headphones. I'm all ears as to a suggestion for a title to reflect that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

strtj posted:

I think I'd like to do a real OP for the Audiophile thread. It's the only one like it here and it currently gets a weird mix of (deserved) ridicule and some at least partially serious discussion of high-end audio. There's naturally going to be some overlap between those groups and it might be nice to start over with a more inclusive swath, making clear that it's still okay to rip into things like $5k headphones. I'm all ears as to a suggestion for a title to reflect that.

Let's Ridicule Audiophiles: "Double blind comparison tests? I find your lack of faith... Disturbing."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honestly I'd prefer to keep the audiophile thread firmly in the mocking/chat category.

I'm willing to take on a home audio thread, perhaps combining the two that we have into one.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

Honestly I'd prefer to keep the audiophile thread firmly in the mocking/chat category.

I've kept my eye on that thread since and one of the first posts after you posted this was quite literally something serious about $5k headphones and it got zero pushback. I don't think it's the thread that you think it is anymore. FFS, your posts in that thread since have mostly been about a $10/mo streaming service that provides you with zero music. I'm just trying to be realistic about the overall tone of the thing.

I want to be able to post seriously in there while also feeling like the posters in there understand that they can and will be mocked at any time by anyone, and that's okay. I think arguing that the "home audio" thread is the right place for the discussion of equipment firmly in the multiple thousand dollar range is a little out of touch with the average poster, and I don't want people to feel turned off by a thread that has as much discussion of high end audio as mocking.

Total disclaimer: I have, and will probably continue to, spend what a normal person would consider a ridiculous percentage of their income on audio equipment. I work in the field and I have a real passion for this stuff. I convince myself that I sign up for emails with five figure equipment listings "just to laugh at them" when part of me drools over some of that stuff. But this is a comedy forum and the best part of that is being able to gently/reasonably mock stupid stuff while providing a reasonable space to discuss the reasonable stuff.

strtj fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 17, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think the ridicule audiophiles thread is fine in its current form, but a new OP should probably have a few notes pointing to the other audio help threads where people might be more likely to get help with stuff like the headphones and home audio threads.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

Turntable thread - November 2008 (updated June 2013)

I would also be willing to do a new OP for this thread, but I want to be clear that it's as much about vintage audio as it is specifically about turntables. I can speak to both, and if this isn't a space for mocking that would be fine. That being said, people need to understand that Crosley stuff is basically the same as the Fisher Price turntable I had as a kid, but there is obviously a gentle and informative way to say those sorts of things.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The audiophile thread will be what it is, which is whatever people post in it, but I would not ever want someone to get probated for making fun of someone seriously talking about how much "sweeter" their silver core cat6 network cable sounds.

I've been thinking about how to do a new home audio thread and in my mind the op is going to be some general advice, links to other threads like vintage and headphones, how to ask questions, i.e. always include a budget, and no recommendations of specific products whatsoever. I might do a placeholder second post leaving space for FAQs or advice.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

The audiophile thread will be what it is, which is whatever people post in it, but I would not ever want someone to get probated for making fun of someone seriously talking about how much "sweeter" their silver core cat6 network cable sounds.

I don't want anyone to get probated for anything short of hurling unprompted personal insults at someone, but I honestly think you're posting on the wrong board if you are in any way defending people buying wildly overpriced cables.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

cage-free egghead posted:

Below is a quick list of popular IYG threads that haven't had their OPs updated in several years, with the nature of technology I feel like it'd be good to have a little less time in between OPs, or at least have them updated.

If you want to take on a new thread, please post here that you'd like to work on it and then once done I can close the old thread and link to the new one.

Headphone thread - August 2013

Apologies for the necromancy, but I'd like to make the new headphone thread— it's severely outdated (predates current research and manufacturing updates writ large) and I'm in a good position to do it

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Here we go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036610&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Okay, I can close threads now, neat.

If anyone has any strong feelings on what to include in the OP of any of the listed threads please post here. Same too if there's a thread you feel could do with spring cleaning/reboot.

:siren: IF YOU WANT TO POST A NEW THREAD :siren:
Please:
A) lay dibs so nobody duplicates efforts
B) link the new thread here so I can close the old one. New threads should link the old one ideally in the first paragraph, but really anywhere will do as long as it's obvious

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 12, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The turntable/vintage audio thread is probably fine as -is. It’s talking about stuff that’s 45 years old anyways. Doesn’t get a ton of new posts but it’s pretty steady.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah I came away with that impression haha

Probably better to let it get 20 years old anyway

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

New Android thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4041968&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post534594304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

New Audiophile/phool thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042004