Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

good news is that you may automatically shelter yourself from taxes by not making any money

alas making no money is not an effective tax shelter, because lots of businessy things can be directly taxed

for a random example in my city every business pays a flat tax per POS machine, which is dumb as hell because it disincentivizes fast lines at stores, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I read through this entire thread in the last couple days. Thanks for posting it Rationale, regardless of what I'll say below it's been fun to read. You're an entertaining poster and I hope you keep posting, even though I know if you actually make it to opening day you're not going to have time for us any more.

I'm imagining a person who hates spreadsheets and being organized and planning ahead handling the baking aspect of making hundreds of donuts daily. Multiple batches going at once, some proofing some frying some glazing, the right amount of ingredients here and there, set the oven and oil and whatever to the right places, going down a mental list of what to do at 3 am after yet another 4-hour night. Oops made 2x batches of crullers and 0x batches of old fashioned, welp. Oops those ones didn't proof enough, I got the order wrong and put the 2nd batch into the fryer instead of batch 1. Welp. Just plow ahead, YOLO! We got a big order for delivery to the office building down the block, I'm sure they won't mind getting the wrong order. There's ten orders for this weekend, just memorize them all and then plow forward. Momentum and the right attitude are the keys to success. The highly technical and time-critical aspects of a high volume baking operation will just happen correctly and definitely not lead to wasted products and canceled orders and lost customers.

Getting your recipe right so you can make good donuts at home is probably worthwhile, and people making GBS threads on the appearance of your second batch of donuts as being unsellable are probably being too harsh. But also making a couple dozen donuts in your back yard has very little relationship to making hundreds of specific donuts, to a plan, on time, without having to re-do anything, to an impeccable standard of hygiene, in a commercial kitchen, every night for months.

Rationale, part of the reason your inability to nerd out on a business plan and crack some spreadsheets and present an air of preparation and competence to the thread is a big red flag is because these aren't just the hallmarks of a successful business startup, they're the also obvious character traits of someone who is maybe capable of handling a volume food prep operation. Organization, record keeping, detailed planning. You can't do without these and still push out exactly the right amounts of the right food products on a tight schedule.

The other part that keeps screaming out as a red flag is your unwillingness to be trained in any way. I saw the cool wrestling belts. Did you get to that level of wrestling without any coach, or any sparring partner, or any training at all? Just hang out in your basement, watch some wrestling videos, do some moves at a mirror, and then head straight to the state championships? Did you start wrestling in September and then start winning trophies by December?

I think it's likely that you benefitted from coaching and training and a hell of a lot of practice, not just practice by yourself in theory but actual wrestling match practice. The analogy would be actual commercial baking practice, in a real kitchen. I understand you can't do that because you have a full time job. That would suggest that your odds of success on opening day (your most important chance to make an impression and gain customers is your first month) are about what a high school kid with zero wrestling experience would have showing up to a big event and jumping into the ring to face off against guys who have been doing it for years. I think you should budget in your startup capital to hire an experienced baker to do all of your baking and to teach you how to bake. If you can't fit that into your budget I don't think this is going to work out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can smell that place right through the monitor, wow

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They stock instant coffee in every grocery store. That's a good indication that people do actually drink instant coffee. I expect the companies that sell lots of instant coffee have done things like market research and product testing and keep tidy balance sheets and know exactly what their margins are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Swee' Pea was the name of the baby in Popeye comics (yeah I'm old) I think that's why people use it as a baby name, or maybe that was first, I dunno

anyway it sounds very rural and quaint to me so if that's the vibe you're going for OK but I might consider putting the word "donut" or if you're fancy "doughnut" into the name so when people in your area google donut they'll get your store as a result and maybe not put the word "diner" in the name so when people are looking for a real diner to find some eggs and hash browns or a $12 hamburger they don't find themselves at a store that only sells donuts

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Donut the 13th
Evil Donut
Texas Donut Massacre
The Frostening
PsychO, where the O is a painting of a donut
S'Cream (filled donuts)
The Silence of the Carbs
Pastrygeist
Night of the Living Donuts
Rosemary's Baby Donut
The Oven (it's a play on The Omen, best I could do, yes I know donuts are fried, shut up)
Donutrasier
Donut from the Black Lagoon

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

damnit, extremely jealous I didn't think of that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For what?
Permit to pour concrete for your parking lot?
Permit to turn the electricity on in your building?
Permit to run a restaurant?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what percentage of daily revenues do you expect to be from drifters and tourists just passin' through

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rationale posted:

E: also we’re having a baby June or July we’ll see what that does to the schedule

Congratulations! Your wife will be incredibly happy with you spending more time with the family no time with the family due to your new work at home in a donut hovel 90 hours a week profitable business doughnut hovel!

OK that's excessively mean. I genuinely mean it, congratulations, and I genuinely hope that 2023 brings you financial and personal and doughnut success. I doubt it, but I'm hopeful!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rationale posted:

Morpheus voice real is just electrical impulses in your brain

Edit:

Real talk with brioche I can be open 5-12 and only have to be there like 430-1 so I can be around the kids most days 115-9 versus the 6-9 we have lately

Hopefully I don’t have a hard time selling hot cakes

If you plan to open at 5 am (why?) you will need to be there a lot earlier than 4:30 to make all the donuts, right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rationale posted:

I got a $60 espresso machine from Aldi for home use does anyone have some hot tips

yeah there's no such thing as a good $60 espresso machine but it can probably at least steam milk so my tip is make coffee some other way and then steam some milk and you can have a latte

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just paid sixteen dollars and fifty cents plus tax for six "mochi donuts" in the sf bay area
this proves the donut business is absurdly profitable op, you're gonna print

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rationale posted:

Chopsticks are three cents would people appreciate their donut holes being served in a coffee cup with chopsticks to keep their fingers clean or do I have that dawg in me (autism)

E:

This Amazon dough divider is $1200 and I’m thinking I’ll offer dude $5k or so for his poo poo and from there I’ll be buying fume hoods and electrical panels to specifically fit the store like the main part of the equipment is over with and now it’s onto construction materials.

The proofer fits a 110 outlet so I can set it up in my garage and spit out a few hundred buns in a day but cottage food laws specifically prohibit filled or fried doughnuts so my neighbors will probably start locking their cars this summer

nobody has any idea what your equipment should cost because we don't know what the condition of this used equipment is, nor what the market and demand are for it. Nor your business plan, how many customers you'll have or need to have, how much product you can or should make, etc.

Also you have definitely already set up your business, created business accounts, and are making your capital expenditures from those accounts, so you can properly... account... for them. Right? You can write down depreciation of your equipment over time, according to various labyrinthine tax rules that you have hired an expert to understand and interpret for you. Right? You're not just spending cash from your personal checking account for your businesses. Right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Typically, highly automated fancy machines increase your up front capital costs and therefore require a certain volume of sales to make sense. The more you spend up front on machines, the longer you'll need to stay open selling the most donuts possible daily in order to hit a breakeven point. If you only ever wind up selling a maximum of 300 donuts a day, it'll feel stupid to have spent money on stuff that can produce 1000 (identical, same-flavored, same style?) donuts an hour. If you have unlimited money, sure, go ahead and assume that spending on high volume machines will be fine and if you wind up running each one for 40 seconds a day to produce all the donuts you sell that day, well, that'll be a-OK.

Most small businesses have a limited amount of startup capital though, and they need to preserve a big chunk of it to cover costs for the period during which the business isn't making money yet. You can expect months of shaking out as you hire/lose staff, change your menu a lot, spend on marketing, make a lot of mistakes and need to spend money to deal with them. And the most common reason small startup restaurant/food services business fail is undercapitalization. They close in six months because they run out of money, but if they'd had enough money to stay open longer, they might have reached a sales volume that ultimately would have been successful.

Given your building is still in an absolutely disastrous state, I'll speculate that you have no idea how much money it's going to cost you to get it to the point it passes health inspections and can serve food to customers, and until that day, you're spending money on donut making kit that you might actually need for pouring concrete, mold abatement, electrical work, flooring, hvac, security systems, paint, lighting, etc. Seems a bit backwards to me!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's OK he has the steady income of seven rented properties to endlessly fund this personal donut venture

that said,

Rationale posted:

Electrician quoted 17k
I’d imagine hvac will be about 20 (less footage more equipment)
I’ll be shocked if the plumbing costs me 7500

I got an architect when I started hitting bureaucracy hurdles and he said to be ready to spend 200 on “something like your typical Starbucks or Panera.” And I was like drat that’s more than I thought here’s what I thought for vents pipes and wires and he was like “well, there are all sorts of different contractors out there.” And I told him which particular electrician I got the quote from and he was like “oh yeah no he’s good”

Then he only charged me $750 for his consultation because he was my youth wrestling coach and he wants me to succeed.

But ideally I can send him a floor plan and another $3500 or so to get me a set of prints that are released for construction and then I’ll do what I can and hire out what I can’t. That’s what’s going to determine the project cost is what the tab is when the inspector signs the certificate. I don’t think it’ll be 200k tho

this is more work than it seemed you had done so good job, and also yeah even if you only spend $100k on your buildout you are gonna have to sell a couple hundred thousand donuts or something just to cover your startup costs lol this is why it's better to lease a space that is already set up as a restaurant and all you need is the kitchen buildout rather than starting with a disused shack on a gravel lot and trying to make that work

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rationale posted:

“You don’t know restaurant “ nobody knows a drat thing grow up

it's true, expertise isn't real, people don't know things

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Goon: "This is my business plan!" <pic of rat feces>
Other goons: "seems unlikely, friendo"
Goon: "oh yeah?!?! Well if you're SO SMART, why don't you GIVE ME LOADS OF MONEY"
Other goons: "..."
Goon: "hah I knew it, losers, you'll be crying when I'm rich"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tweakin' Donuts

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He's using SA's file attachment option to avoid the imgur implosion probably, which is actually fine, but yeah hey Rationale, your phone may auto-rotate pics but whatever you're using to post them isn't doing that and they're all sideways which is a little bit annoying, although also legit props for not just posting endless photos of other people's donuts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

how else you gonna keep the rat feces within FDA approved levels???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

your town may have a problem with using a residential lot for commercial parking lot, and you might want to like, check about that before buying a house to do that to
also a donut shop probably does need more than six parking places, I wonder if maybe this crappy old building on a gravel lot with not much parking is really the ideal place to open a donut shop, oh well nevermind just wrassle your way past these obstacles with gumption

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think he meant Yoohoo, they were weird chocolate drink addicts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ban op if he won't rotate his goddamn photos, ffs