Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
How much would you make just selling it?

Have you looked at other similar types of donuts and coffee operations?

Have you ever managed staff?

Have you ever done the accounting for a business?

How will you manage cash flow?

Do you actually want to work at a donuts and coffee shop?

Would you make more money by hiring someone else to run the thing for you and keep making wages?

Have you considered just franchising - you could consider becoming a Krispy Kreme. You might have 0 desire to become a Krispy Kreme franchise, but the you might learn a lot about how you have to run a business. Same thing, I'd at least look into becoming a Krispy Kreme and or Dunkin Donuts just to see what the business model, cash flows, etc.. look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Rationale posted:

They’re liquidating a school about an hour from me and I’m the lead bidder on a 12’ grease hood and a 40qt mixer as well as a bunch of racks and pans and small wares. If I win I’ll pay my homie to haul them down because I’ve been working 7x12 and I don’t have the time.

I can’t figure out what a business plan is business seems so silly to me I walked by a classroom one time and dude had PROFIT=REVENUE-COSTS on the board like it was some sort of wisdom. The long and short of my business plan is that the ingredients cost less than the product and the competition isn’t nearby. I own the building, I’ve built out a hundred kitchens, I don’t need a loan. Literally what is a business plan they sound made up.

Please at least commit to never stop posting about what is going on.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Epitope posted:

I know he's kinda egging it on, but the hostility seems weird and unnecessary. If the dude wants to play fast and loose, it's his chip stack to blow. What is shouting at him that he should play tighter going to help?

It's a dead gay comedy forum, he asked for advice and responded to that advice with "what you studied for 6 years and do for a living is loving stupid - I'm a lone wolf, and I'll defeat the system"

Then he just endlessly doubles down on like "why do I have to have an inspection in a load bearing wall that I want to cut holes on that could potentially collapse and kill someone - I'm adding MORE BRICKS".

I don't think anyone is actually hostile to him though, I think we're just sort of mocking him for being like "well 90%+ of sole proprietorships fail in the first 5 years, but I'm smarter than all those guys, and all you guys advising me to do the things that would prepare me for potential issues, Honey Badger don't care".

By all means, do very little planning, just start buying stuff because "it's a good deal vs retail" and start making a product you've never made and running a line of business (literally afaik no real entrepreneurial experience) you've no experience in. Just don't stop posting about it.

The agreement is made. The covenant will be enforced.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rationale posted:

I also don’t want to franchise I want well-paid workers in my community.

Sorry, I want to revisit this ->

I wasn't saying actually become a franchise. I was saying: reach out to Dunkin and Krispy Kreme about being a franchise and let them pitch you. They will give you a bunch of poo poo about the location and start-up costs.

They will basically hand you a business plan.

Granted in the next couple of pages you've revealed that you think business plans are a waste of time, but even so, I'd highly recommend at least reaching out to them and seeing what you can learn by having them pitch you.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tetramin posted:

This is like goons who decide they’re gonna “get into writing” so they go buy a bunch of the most expensive paper, expensive pens, and a tobacco pipe and figure the actual writing part happens as a result.

Please confine these comments to my thread tia.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Imma be honest I’m no longer convinced this is real.

Which makes it less fun.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Epitope posted:

I think this is a much better idea. Maybe not for someone who has capital and a clear path, but for you trying to learn and build from a shoestring. If you fail, lower consequences. If things are working, you can build from there.

I’ll be honest I was getting excited for the catastrophe we all saw coming.

This is achievable and limits risk - so I for one oppose it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

You said you were in a skilled trade right OP?

Could you explain that process, how you became a journeyman that kind of thing?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

a.p. dent posted:

great post, thank you for all the info! i was surprised to hear that the bakery made up 25% of the store's profits - do you think that's standard in big chain stores as well? it makes sense given the larger markup on baked goods

Grocery store margins on a lot of items are really really low. Like 0-1% after you account for wastage, shrinkage, overhead and stuff. Grocery stores as an industry are facing suppliers that are largely consolidated and they are forced to carry, so they have little leverage to extract value.

If the Kroger-Albertsons things goes through I would expect food prices to go up significantly and the new mega-chain to capture a lot of value, and push it's own brands a lot harder. I'd be pretty shocked if it is allowed, groups like PG&E have a massive stake in them not merging.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

I assume you mean Proctor & Gamble because I don't think Pacific Gas & Electric really cares, they're too busy continually setting California on fire.

Yes, my bad.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

OP something came up in the oregon thread and I'm wondering if you've considered the possibility of making your place a gentlemanne's cabaret donut & coffee shop to really drive in the traffic?

It seems like you need more of a gimmick to really get people interested than just "guy who has never made coffee or donuts, has no business or entrepreneurial experience, and ignores virtually all the advice he asks for, please come buy my stuff"

So like, have you considered slinging 'spresso in a speedo?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tetramin posted:

Yeah mixed espresso drinks are “painfully slow” for a reason. I’m not even a coffee snob but I walk further to get coffee on weekends because the two shops closer to me make watery as poo poo americanos and mochas that just taste like chocolate and milk

People don’t really mind waiting an extra minute or two for a good espresso drink.

E: I guess I’ll just ask this here. I’ve never worked at a coffee shop so I don’t know anything about an espresso. My GF worked in coffee shops for a lot of her life and we’ve been looking at espresso machines for at home. I’ve been leaning towards a more automated one, but have started wondering if that will make disappointing drinks. We just have a tiny kitchen so I less appliances is attractive. Should we say gently caress it and get one with a separate grinder etc? Or are there good all in one things that you can get for a reasonable price to use at home

Think you need to get a separate grinder. Also which drinks do you want?

My mom had a fully automated delonghi for a long time. My dad pulls better shots out of a very basic espresso machine.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rationale posted:

I love my wife, you know?

It doesn't seem like it from the way you are acting. You have a windfall that you seem hellbent on turning into a potential liability, and I haven't once seen you talk about the impact on her or what the potential upsides or downsides are for your personal life.

The biggest thing that a lot posters are trying to get you to do, including me, is to get you to make a plan and do some actual analysis so that you are assessing whether it's worth putting more money into this thing. Something you can refer to as the venture has ups and downs.

A lot of people start restaurants and then because of sunk-cost fallacy they lose more money than they ever thought they could and even become destitute or indebted, throwing good money after bad, believing just one more thing will make the business profitable.

There's also the reality that you are almost certainly commingling your personal funds with business funds, which has the potential to make things like your house an attachable asset for any creditors you end up with down the line.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the actual gently caress have I just read?

The ground floor of what will become a forums legend?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Rational thought fades into the abyss of this thread, but there are countless dingy spots all over San Francisco (to pick a major metro area) and rural Iowa (to pick something else) which have been making money for 10+ years. They largely serve a different demographic from your $4 fancy donut spot where you might consider eating inside, but they do it well.

How do you know they're making money? Like, do you have access to their books, or have they just not gone bankrupt yet?

There's a lot of room between "bankrupt" and "making money". There's even more room if you're hoping to get "economically profitable".

*grammar fix

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 5, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Portland has an amazing food scene but when I tried Voodoo it felt a like a tourist trap. Adding cayenne pepper or Cap’n Crunch to donuts with no concern for taste only for novelty. Dunno if it’s gotten better as that was like 5 years ago but not a recommend.

It was a 24 hour donut place near bars where drunk people would go and be like hell yeah I want fruit loops on a maple bar that got trendy, and has leaned into their notoriety.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tetramin posted:

Are you sure about that? If someone’s enough of a regular to pay a subscription, I imagine them swinging by on the way to work.

Your vision of it is obviously different, which is why some sort of analysis might help figure out whether that’s correct or not.

No that would be naysaying. He’s not building a donut shop in horseville.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Give away the high profit margin item so people will come in and buy your loss leader product? Bro did the pages of your business plan stick together

Right, but when you scale those losses up with volume, what do you get?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i jumped into the last page of this thread without reading the rest, i'm assuming the first 20 pages are op saying these kinds of things and everybody laughing?

It’s more like op calling people nerds for even the idea of having a plan or projections or estimates and buying used equipment with no warranty below MSRP as some kind of victory over the doubters.

He did make a batch of donuts and also fried some uh crescent rolls I think.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

BigBadSteve posted:

:lol: OP,
You could sell donuts and coffee from a freakin' truck. Rent a food truck to do so, or buy one and sell it when you're through with it, and you'll be making interim income as well as getting an indicator of customer interest before you waste more years and money fitting out the building.

This actually seems like a really good idea. Start with a food truck and do experiments. Generate some buzz and go outside bars on busy nights take it to sports games.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

It makes a huge difference for helping people discover your business. Word of mouth is important but so is showing up when people search yelp or Google for donuts or coffee.

Yeah I think the biggest obstacle to success for this venture is... getting a catchy name.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rationale posted:

You ever hear the one about the guy who drops five bucks in the shitter so he throws in a 20 because he doesn’t wanna get in the shitter for five bucks

We’re reading in real time your posts about throwing money in the shitter yes.

Though at this point I’m convinced this is a troll.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Giraffe posted:

I would 100% eat a brioche donut filled with chocolate cream, that sounds very tasty.

Also, I know there's no way to calculate what it costs to make a donut or how much to sell it for, but butter has apparently gotten more expensive lately. This article describes a bakery in Amherst, Ohio having to pay $3.50/pound for butter compared with $2.00/pound from last year.

If you’re not making enough just sell more donuts spreadsheet nerd. Business is easy if you don’t overthink it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rationale posted:

I can be trolling and also getting into a coffee and doughnut situation

I’m glad you understand that you’re getting into a coffee and doughnut situation, and not a coffee and doughnut profitable business. It seems like the thread has been valuable.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tempora Mutantur posted:

:hai:

tho I still think it's hilarious that KK had a money printer of a business and somehow their leadership hosed it all up

I thought they just grew too fast and had cash flow issues?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rationale posted:

Real talk the paving question is a tough one because retention pond. I’m going to dump a bunch of gravel there to set a 20’ conex box and a dumpster for construction use. If gravel won’t fly and they make me dig a rain pond I’ll probably have to buy the lot across the alley.

Hopefully the salt around here has people despondent about their cars and I can get away with $1500 of limestone but that’s not something I plan to tackle this February anyway

That’s smart you wouldn’t want to take on too much.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Baddog posted:

Grass is always greener/more interesting.

The margin on an individual donut is loving insane, the problem is that most places just end up trash canning most of their product, isn't it?

Gotta figure out how to sell those half day old and day old donuts somewhere. Price discrimination. Get a contract with someplace to take most of your remaining product at 2pm for 60% off or something.

It's also that the real margin on a donut isn't so insane, but most people don't understand cost accounting, and they say "oh the cost of a donut is a the dough" and don't do things like say oh each donut I sell has to help cover the cost of the lights and gas and insurance.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

You should make some donut holes first

Shouldn’t he buy some second hand bamboo harvesting equipment first, then plant bamboo and learn how to make chopsticks?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

sleepy gary posted:

If I was eating donut holes with chopsticks I'd just use one chopstick to stab at the donuts and shove them into my gaping maw.

OP I wanna see some recent photos of your goings-on.

You want screenshots of posts?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

Rude! Have you considered that you just don't have the moxie to seize the business opportunity that everyone else has overlooked, selling pastries?

You’re talking to a business visionary on par with Tom P. Baxter.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rationale posted:

Yeah I’ve got a bunch of coffee stuff too

The roaster was like “it’s not Chicago. Nobody cares. Your drinks will be mostly syrup.” Looking back it might have been a cry for help.

If we hadn’t just changed the thread title:

Will I make donuts and coffee…a cry for help

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rationale posted:

What do I use instead

You should probably spend a few grand on used computer equipment and set up a server in your donut shop and host images and content and charge for it, but people who buy donuts get to host for free.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

No, I will not make money off donuts and coffee

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Honestly actually making some donuts, even if they don't look good, is the biggest step forward shown in a while. You learn more from failures than successes anyway, and with donuts I'm assuming you want to fail a lot of different ways to figure out what you actually have to get right and where there is some wiggle room.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Have you considered getting licensee rights to make it Garfield themed? GarfieldTREATS?

Don’t cross the streams.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Somehow translating that slap video into a donut shop marketing plan.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tnuctip posted:

No that’s for suckers. He’s gonna buy the school bus and cut it in half.

Pretty sure you mean wrestle it in half, nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Midjack posted:

Designed for more than 16 passengers or heavier than 13 tons requires a CDL to operate so better save up for that too.

As if he’s actually going to get anywhere near drivable. He’s just going to buy it and some other stuff then come up with some… well plan isn’t the word I guess shopping list.