Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rationale posted:

He paid $475 to have his hood cleaned and I’ve spiffed up five pieces of equipment for free so I’m $2375 ahead of that clown. Maybe I’m not a kitchen guy but I’m not a fuckin spreadsheet guy either. I’m also planning to do most of the cooking myself to save labor. Most of my ingredients will be shelf-stable so compressor disasters aren’t a thing.

He got in because he loved food I’m getting in because I see a gap in the market.

Plus your business plan does not involve alcohol or have the end goal of consuming alcohol away from your wife & kids. And there’s a chance your start up capital is enough to get things up & running without going to a mother in law or just not paying taxes.

Past that it’s like others said would be ideal if you could work at an established bakery/coffee place for a while to get used to the ultra early mornings and the many little things to learn about food safety & sanitation.

Not sure of your area but hiring good employees especially in food service is a historically tight market at the moment and quality staff are probably already working elsewhere so you may have to pay way above market or get used to a lot of no show/no calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Has a goon ever launched a food service biz and experienced success? I know we’ve had some restaurant managers who were doing ok but I don’t think they built the place.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Family friend is an independent baker who rents space in an existing bakery so she doesn’t have to worry about building maintenance or equipment purchasing. I think her main business is wedding cakes and special events, we bought a cake for Easter that was like $45 but it was delicious so ok. She seems to be doing fine but has the advantage that if she wants a break or career change doesn’t need to sell the business or have a building sitting idle.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Powerful Katrinka posted:

It's amazing. Everytime I come back to this, I think of something new that the OP isn't thinking about

OP, you need a business plan to figure out what to charge per product to break even/make a profit. Like to really sit down, price out the costs, compare prices to competitors: other donut places, the grocery stores, McDonald's, local diners, convenient stores--literally everywhere that sells coffee and breakfast foods. Remember that you're competing with places that aren't close to your shop, people commute and buy breakfast where it's convenient, which may be closer to their house than their job

I've officially put more thought into your business then you have

Oh yeah that was a big thing that sunk The Hero of Toronto, undercharging for months because he smugly avoided having real restaurant experience as he liquidated his pension plan and sold his house.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

When I worked at Costco I talked to our bakery manager a few times. It was a good gig but he’d have to get there at like 3am to start moving heavy bags of flour into large machines that could easily burn or mangle a finger. The early hours weren’t ideal & those were with the benefit that if he got hurt or wanted to take a vacation the dept would still function & he’d be paid, and if a big machine broke it wasn’t out of his pocket. Or if he got tired of it he could switch to a team with more regular hours.

Not sure what my point is, I guess that bakery management appears to be a hard gig?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sundae posted:

Quick reminder for whenever anyone forgets the reality of Zaurg: When a relatively-friendly poster talked in his thread about how much he (Zaurg) was going to regret not getting his life in order from the perspective of missing time/experiences with his children, and she told him how her own kid had died young, Zaurg had the balls to ask her if she had budgeted for the funeral. He was a pathetic shitstain of a human being at worst, worthless multi-year troll at best. The forum is better off without him.

True, although on the plus side folks linking to his train wreck threads from other parts of the forum let me know BFC existed and I’ve learned a ton of useful info as smart folk are excellent at demystifying finance and shun scammers.

Rationale posted:

What should I do with overstock then smart guy?

When I worked at Costco they’d have a food bank pull up a truck in the early morning to haul away edible but past the sell by date products. I don’t think it was a profit center other than saving some dumpster space and improving the company’s image. I dunno if it would be worth a food bank’s time to send a truck to your store unless there were regularly a huge amount of edible products being tossed. I wonder if individual Starbucks bother with that, would imagine they’ve got their food waste minimized.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I got the tude now posted:

Square has tablets now, it doesn’t scale well but it’s probably your best option at first

A nearby coffee place uses Gravity Payments, and that company’s CEO was in the news recently for having to resign after bizarre behavior. So maybe that means their systems are discounted?

moana posted:

My kid says you should call the shop "Donut Touch" and my husband says you should call it "Go Nuts Donuts" which sounds great out loud and we are all cheering for you.

Call it “What the Pho?,” maybe confused Vietnamese soup seekers will buy donuts.

Rationale posted:

My dude puts circuit boards on his siloscope and solders randomly til them shits are good again.

It rubs the circuit boards on its siloscope or else it gets the hose again.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tarnop posted:

You've made donuts for people and they all got eaten, that's progress. What's your next step? Maybe selling at a market?

Perhaps the Toronto Underground Food Market along with thrice-cooked English chips?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Speaking of this place, they too are going for the "upscale boutique donut experience" rather than a greasy spoon Dozen-for-five-bucks kinda deal. Here's how they did their buildout, if you want to draw any inspiration, since they've been crushing it for years now and even expanded to a few locations

Lol free shipping for orders over $75 for donuts. Getting Goldbelly vibes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sundae posted:

A coworker of mine here in SF literally flew to Portland to go to Voodoo Donuts, back in like 2016 or 2017. Presumably she did other stuff too, but that was the part she kept telling us about.

I won't walk ten minutes out of my way for a donut, while some people will apparently deal with airport security for them. :wtc:

Portland has an amazing food scene but when I tried Voodoo it felt a like a tourist trap. Adding cayenne pepper or Cap’n Crunch to donuts with no concern for taste only for novelty. Dunno if it’s gotten better as that was like 5 years ago but not a recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Rationale posted:

I’m gonna make a bunch of doughnuts and nobody will stop me.

Motronic might