Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Looks like Krispy Kreme’s latest operating income is around 2%-4%, as a reference point. Lots of shrink in donuts and coffee since they are so perishable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rationale posted:

There isn’t another dunkin, Starbucks, Panera, or anything for fifteen minutes in any direction. It’s possible that the line will be full for hours every morning. The idea behind donuts was to make each ticket a little bigger without adding much work during peak times. I was going to spend money on a Gucci espresso machine and have a few baristas run it but lol nobody here gives a poo poo about coffee.

Bolded bit is important. Is there not a lot of development around, or could there be other reasons stopping them?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Looks like Krispy Kreme’s latest operating income is around 2%-4%, as a reference point.

Some of that would be your salary, but food service is not a high income % sector.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rationale posted:

This is a non-starter for me. I want to make good coffee and amazing donuts. I want people to be like “drat, these are some really nice donuts” I don’t want to leave my first impression up to some other rear end in a top hat.

Rationale posted:

Found some janky dunkin automatic espresso machines for 250 each

America runs on Dunkin.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

lease the space to the donut consultant dude, be the magnanimous landlord who gives him 25% off rent and free labor, then find a way to stab him in the back and take over operations or jack up the rent once he gets the customer base established and breaks even. hth

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

are you making titty donuts

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

name it triple D donuts in honor of the titty chairs. maybe it’ll summon Guy Fieri to bless your business

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

sticksy posted:

Can we use this thread to talk about what sort of shops or businesses we would start with the gift of a free building and a TBI

This is more fun to think about as needing cover for winning the lottery. In that case it’s a 3D printing shop that apparently does a ton of online volume filling niche orders like donut shaped butt plugs. Say printing takes a long time as an explanation for why you don’t need to be around that often.

If I get a building and need cash flow out of it, I’m leasing that sucker to a donut or coffee shop.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

yeah can i get a pumpkin spice soup bowl served in a pumpkin tia

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

knowing if you want to be a for-profit or non-profit is technically a step of a business plan

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

What about a big sign that says "DONUTS” & “COFFEE" ?

Had to add in two more “‘s to be accurate

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I got the tude now posted:

Stella parks is the goat of pastry, this pie crust is easy as hell and delicious. If I have a weird pastry question one of the first things I do is search “x Stella parks” to see if she has written about it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/old-fashioned-flaky-pie-dough-recipe

With pie do, your fat can be pretty large when you stop mixing, you want to see some less incorporated flour when you fold it, as long as none of your fat pieces penetrate all the way through the crust, which folding over four times should prevent, it won’t leak

Can vouch for this recipe. Easy to handle and has tasted great from the first time I used it. The only thing I ever need to improve is trimming and shaping the edges of the crust for ~aesthetic~.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

this is all an elaborate ploy to disguise lottery winnings as legit income. nice job OP, now your kids won’t get kidnapped.

i would have gone with 3D printing and saying you get a lot of business online, but you can’t eat those donuts.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Aw, man, this thread totally jumped the shark this season. What's next, a long-lost evil twin?

childhood rival owns the best cake shop and is putting the other ones out of business.

the only way to save the town is if this big city baker visiting for the holidays learns to love small town america and maybe, just maybe, love someone else as well.

wait that second one was a hallmark movie sorry.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

work got a box of fancy donuts from some new spot near the office and they stuck around way longer than 2 dozen hot glazed would have

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

hopefully this venture avoids any gross profit. you don’t want words like gross associated with your donuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

New thread title suggestion: Will I make money in donuts and coffee