Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rationale posted:

They’re liquidating a school about an hour from me and I’m the lead bidder on a 12’ grease hood and a 40qt mixer as well as a bunch of racks and pans and small wares. If I win I’ll pay my homie to haul them down because I’ve been working 7x12 and I don’t have the time.

I can’t figure out what a business plan is business seems so silly to me I walked by a classroom one time and dude had PROFIT=REVENUE-COSTS on the board like it was some sort of wisdom. The long and short of my business plan is that the ingredients cost less than the product and the competition isn’t nearby. I own the building, I’ve built out a hundred kitchens, I don’t need a loan. Literally what is a business plan they sound made up.

How much money are you bringing in each month, and what estimates is that based from?

How much does it cost to make a donut, including labor and waste?

What are you going to pay your employees, and how many hours a month do you need from them?

What are your non payroll wage expenses (employer paid FICA, health insurance, 401k, unemployment insurance etc)?

What are your operating expenses? Business insurance, telecomm and utilities, property taxes, subscriptions to point of sale systems, repairs and maintenance on your equipment and building etc

What are your startup costs? Think display cases, point of sale system hardware, kitchen stuff like bowls and knives and shelves, tables and chairs, etc

What are you paying yourself for a salary? If you’re not paying yourself, why is this a good value for your time?

Take all of these values and put them into a spreadsheet to see if the math works. These will be estimates, and you can tweak those estimates to see the conditions under which your business may fail or succeed. What happens if you get 20% less customers than you think? What if waste is 10% higher than expected? What if your buildout costs 50% more due to unforeseen expenses?

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Here’s more expenses for your business plan:

The cost of packaging and boxes for your product

Napkins/utensils/cups/bathroom supplies

Sanitation and cleaning supplies

Credit card fees

Worker’s comp insurance

Laundry (aprons/uniforms/towels/rags/rugs) and the cost to clean them

Ads and coupons

Business and Health department licenses and fees

Outside signs and signage/menus etc inside

Freezers and refrigerators for your kitchen, and possibly up front for some products

Also here’s more stuff you have to do yourself, or pay someone else to do:

Run weekly/biweekly payrolls, including hounding everyone go get their time in and remitting federal and state payroll taxes

Remitting sales taxes and other business taxes (is your product taxable in your state?)

Run the HR side of employees, including resolving employee conflict and paperwork issues like COBRA and benefit eligibility

Paying your vendors

Landscaping and possibly snow removal

Pest control

IT support

Monthly and annual accounting

Getting change and bringing money to the bank, and securely storing money on site

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rationale posted:

I also don’t want to franchise I want well-paid workers in my community.

Epitope posted:

Benefits, haha

I feel like this is where we are.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

for real my man you should like go camp out in dunks during morning rush and see how they run poo poo

This is a good suggestion. You can also see how long a transaction takes, get an idea for peak times, and get a sense for what sells the most. Hell if you really wanted to do your research you could pick up a part time job at a donut shop and quit after a week or two

quote:

also like when people suggest a business plan, it's because all of those overhead numbers are knowable and estimate-able rather than just saying idk 150 bones

I think OP can get a decent estimate for basically everything that’s been listed out for a business plan by searching online and maybe talking to a few sales people.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If you want to treat people well you should consider the toll your failure will have on your family, who are presumably losing resources as you acquire whatever used equipment you stumble across, and your employees, who will likely be leaving stable employment just to have their bills stack up as their hours are slashed while you try to salvage this train wreck.

If you can’t or won’t put an ounce of financial planning into this then you should either pay someone else to do it or you should partner with someone who will, otherwise you’re going to cause way more harm than your profit sharing plan could ever make up for.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Why even close? Coffee and donuts for commuters in the morning, cookies for kids in the afternoon, and shots and beers at night. You can sell any “waste” donuts for a discount to the bar flies at night too to eliminate your waste problem.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Is it bad that I can smell the chairs when I see that picture?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

What you call “mismatched” I call “fun and quirky”

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

To be fair if it’s a troll it’s not even that elaborate - there’s 2 pictures of literal trash, a few paragraphs of donut shop fanfic, and a bunch of “nuh uh!” posts.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So are you gonna serve drinks at night too or are commuters gonna sit in those musty old titty bar chairs while they wait for their coffee?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The prepackaged donut mix is $0.10 a donut and you can sell them for $2 - that’s a 95% profit margin!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

probably one of the important things to figure out in making a business plan is the difference between gross margin and net margin

Uhhh I think the most important part is just to do a lot of business lol

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

make a mangosteen donut

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I am used to a restaurant buildout taking 9-12 months for a brand new building and good funding and planning, I can’t imagine 10 months for an almost condemned building with an owner showing up every week with their newest surprise “acquisition” in the back of a uhaul.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Name your shop Meme-nuts and have each pastry themed around some dumb internet meme.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rationale posted:

You should try that thing you’re scared to try

like making a business plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

You should just buy all the equipment you see - you’ll either have a use for it once you’re up and running or you can just flip it. For price just try to get 10-20% off so you have a margin if you have to flip.