Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This thread is overflowing with anxiety riddled codependant crybabbies. Don't take it personal OP, a desperate need to obsess about others "problems" and offer a litany of suggestions to exert control is pretty much standard for how these threads go.

Way to go OP, I fuckin love local donuts.

FWIW I always expect to pay a little more than dunkin for local coffee and donuts on the east coast. Cali is different because every donut shop is some how the same store, same display case, same pink box with a different name on it and way fewer dunkin donutses. Good profits and frugality will let you replace the poo poo that breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Donut trick: You can make meh cake donuts pretty good donuts but putting them in an air fryer with a light coating of PAM or spritz of cooking oil. Let it cool until inside is warm but outside is nice and crispy.

Also in Portland Maine there’s an amazing donut place called The Holy Donut that makes delicious donuts with potato flour.

I wouldn’t expect OP to have a running biz in under a month. As of 2 weeks ago he didn’t even have a machine to make donuts so idk why goons think he should’ve made donuts. If he wants to hoard cheap restaurant equipment and make baby steps, he’s allowed to. Many or most businesses start a similar way when you don’t have a loan.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Yeah, that sounds viable for a business: give your hundreds of donuts an extra bake in your $80 air fryer from Walmart

Its for the thread peeps at home, not for the OP.

Sundae posted:

He's never made a real donut in his life, even at home. He's opened a pack of Pillsbury croissants and deep-fried them, and only after accumulating a shitload of gear IIRC. That's a pretty bad starting point. Also, honest-to-god, his posting style reminds me so much of manic-state Zaurg that I'd be only minimally surprised if an admin came in and confirmed it was an old-reg parachute.

(2) Sure, you can hoard restaurant equipment and talk about your upcoming business on SA, but this is SA and we're gonna poo poo on you if you come across as an idiot. That's what we do.

Since he has the building already and an alternative income, his odds are way better because there's no rent to pay and he doesn't have to rely on donuts to pay the bills. That doesn't make it a good financial decision and it doesn't mean that it won't be a hobby business that loses money. If he has a blast, great, good for him. He could also landlord the gently caress out of the building for minimal effort and probably equivalent/higher return.

Remember: The dilemma here isn't "risk it all on a donut business" vs "nothing." It's "risk it all on a donut business" vs "let someone else pay me rent while they risk it all instead."

Goons treat everyone who don't take their suggestions, good or bad as they may be, as an idiot. It's certainly made me defensive many times, so I can't help but empathize with OP.

I'm with you on this seeming a bit capricious. I take issue with forcing one person's view of what is needed to start a donut shop successfully. Does it ++ your expected value to be a SME with prior industry experience when starting a biz? Hell yea. Does OP have that? No. Does that mean he WON'T be successful? No. However it give him another, absolutely critical thing to do and I generally agree with the posters ITT who see the "derisking" steps a bit out of order.

Is this the best EV option he can do with this building? No. He also hasn't said "I want to make the best highest expected value decision measured purely on money"...so saying that is HIS dilemma is, as far as we can tell, untrue. Dude seems to want to build a donut shop, so I say lets help him do that. Offering a litany of suggestions then making GBS threads on him he doesnt take action on them right away.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 29, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Like, how do you even reconcile the sentiment that the OP is on the right path with the fact that he's literally never made a single donut, worked in good service, or baked even as a hobby? You might be the only person in this thread that's as dumb as Rationale, if not dumber

Because I've successfully started and ran a business for 3 years along these same lines of inexperience at the start. It was a year of nights and weekends before it actually could take a customer. Then we realized "oh poo poo" and made a ton of changes. That said, my business partner was an IC w/5 years experience in the field we're in. I brought in the automations that gave our business a chance and a leg up on the competition. Prior to that I got to work on some def co programs that had program-killing risks from day 1 that were worked, resolved, and led to an on time, on budget system. I've seen "this really doesn't look good" turn out okay.

The path to start a business is often messy. The chance of success is ALWAYS low. If you have a killer risk, there's a point where you focus up and either call in the expertise you need, develop the expertise yourself, or fail...but that failure point is not 2 months in. That said, sucking the fun out of the romance period will undermine the chances of success, small as they may be perceived, so I choose not to do it. I'm not saying he's cruising on the highway to success, he's driving around some back roads buying up semi-related poo poo not related to his key risks. However, nothing about what he's posted says that theres some big consequence to taking an inefficient path. It will delay the start and lower the time he has to address the risk, but if that's his journey to his dream that's okay w/me. Not gonna cry for the lost commercial rent if theres a chance he gets to do somethin he finds rewarding.

Your feelings that "one should have deep knowledge of the field they start a business in" are valid and to be successful 100% necessary. It is not possible to be successful at making donuts professionally, without a lot of donut making knowledge. He currently has none. If he isn't planning to sell a donut for another 6 months, then he has 6 months to develop that knowledge, bring someone in who has it, or find some solution to this problem.

Again, I agree that there are showstopper risks here. Can make high quality donuts is maybe the number one risk. The risk is not an issue yet. It is a risk to be resolved.

EDIT: I've also talked 1:1 to the founders of >50 seed stage startups and my ability to predict which will be successful or fail is lol hilariously bad, so I don't bet against people anymore.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 29, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I stand corrected! Look at this technical and schedule risk reduction! Way 2 go dude. If these donuts are amazing, beautiful. If they suck, you'll figure it out!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Why does Home Depot even sell sheds? Those Danish bastards will roll a shed right into your yard ready to go for $2k, doors and all.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rationale posted:

https://imgur.com/a/OzBJ4Iy

Shoutout to whoever mentioned potato flakes that was the best batch by far

Ya welcome. Holy Donut and their potato flour or riced potato or whatever they do make some seriously great donuts https://www.theholydonut.com/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Duckman2008 posted:

See. OP knows what the end game is, it’s all good !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g314lc9ejbY

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Acquiring equipment is easy and fun, he's in the daydreaming stage of planning,

this was definitely the best part of starting the biz.

hiring to backfill people who are the sole person in that position currently continues to be the worst part

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Residency Evil posted:

I wonder what high school me would think of me now.

“Man I’m ashamed of my white noise posts”

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

EnPsy is another term for human factors stuff. It’s legitimate.

I refuse to treat the HMI people as legitimate engineer

Oh look at me I can see if the wrench fits

Ruining my elegant engineer designs

Im joking this is a parody of defense industry engineers attitudes towards human factors.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 31, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ohtori Akio posted:

I just hope she keeps her inherited commercial building in the divorce, so she can live a bit more comfortable using the rent income.

lol’d

I know two good local restaurants that closed due to divorces. It’s p common.

And he can start his next business: donut Dave’s discount devices

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rationale posted:

What should I do with overstock then smart guy?

Recycle them

Start a brick fired pizza business that burns on day-old doughnuts in the oven

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rationale posted:

I thought about getting some pigs but I’ll need 15k in fenced before I can leave them here

Chickens it is then

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Qwertycoatl posted:

You should camp outside another donut shop that's not too far from where you are. Do 10% of the cars going past stop for donuts?

This is good advice IMO. If OP is interested in making some “bottom up” estimates of the businesses revenue based on number of people and avg transaction value just sitting inside and outside a similar business taking notes for a few hours on a few days is killer intel. Get to know the owners, get a donut and coffee and count cars, see what the average transaction value is, how many donuts they buy, what% buy coffee, etc.

When I started our business I did a similar thing early on to estimate our first revenue plateau, it was basically some envelope math of the customers response rates and transaction values. I fed this into a Monte Carlo + discrete event simulation I wrote and it basically predicted the future 12 months ahead of time with only 2 months of data. The prediction said we had to make changes and we did and I could simulate the options. It saved the business. Envelope math or a spreadsheet can do the same thing, don’t really need a simulation.

It’s always been kinda crazy to me how people can make pretty good decisions in business by just measuring the right thing for a very short time.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 2, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tnuctip posted:

What about increasing automation? If you could find some sweet used Fanucs or Kukas then you wouldn’t have to work as hard. Work smart not hard. Robot donuts would actually be a cool catch and help differentiate your shop. People might even go out of their way to be served donuts by a robot.

I'm assuming you know this but they make specialized donut machines that are hilariously cheaper than a used Kuka arm.

No idea of takt time or whatever of this but:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314085643502

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
It seems like you can open a donut shop for like $5000 if I just wanted to do it. A couple stand mixers + a $2500 robot and some $20 coffee makers.

And whats a glazed cake donut cost to make like 25 cents?

Imma put up some barn wood poo poo and some chalk writing on blackboards and be in business.

TY for the inspiration.

Will WE make money in donuts and coffee

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
These are neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8goV7KsEMk

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I have a vision for this working out. Assuming you can figure out how to make good donuts, which seems possible given that you are a plumber and are not an idiot, just follow the model that works for all the Chinese-run mom and pop donut shops.

1. Spend nothing to make the space nice, just pass whatever you need for permits.

2. Sell cigs and lotto tickets.

3. Drop the espresso dream to start

4. Build a personal relationship with each of your clients

5. Do everything yourself for the first 6 months

Is this a bit? Half of the advice is truly awful (1 and 2) and the other half may or may not be good (3) or is actually good (4 and 5).

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

"Is this a bit" asks the goon in a well white knight.

better name call posters that disagree with me, that'll show em! tell everyone that doesn't do it the way it ~should~ be done, or gets started before they really know how that theyre doomed. thatll make me feel better

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Genuine advice from what I have seen work for a handful of places. Having at least a benched table by a window (does this building have windows?) is a good move to keep a handful of geriatric regulars happy. Cigs and lotto tickets are free money, and only come at the cost of bad vibes, which I think this place will already be serving aplenty.

"greasy spoon" and/or "bad vibes but cheap" restaurants have been on the outs for at least a decade. Seems like consumer trends and tastes are crystal clear here, and the cost and profit difference is minimal at inception.

kastein posted:

Having had one of the longest running basket case building repair threads in the forums for the past 11 years and counting, I am here to give you advice.

God drat when kastein says don't do it tho...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

"Name call", this isn't elementary school. I'm telling you that your posts in this thread have just confirmed that you're as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Apparently it is because you keep name calling. Teachers gonna put us on timeout.

Businesses fail when people give up on them or they run out of money. If someone sets a goal, is making progress toward their goal betting against them or tearing them down is just petty naysaying.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

There has been zero progress made in this thread. Just hoarding, wasting money and generally doing the 5% "fun parts" of opening a business without any care or attention to the 95% grind parts that are required to have even a small change at being successful. You have duly demonstrated you don't know anything about this, so yeah....of course you think he's doing great.

Who hurt you? It wasn't me friend, we've never met.

As I've said, I also don't think he's doing "great". Great would be a launched business with returning customers. I agree he's doing the fun parts of starting a biz without the hard work. That's what happens a couple months in, IME. I interpret those facts differently than you do. For reasons my hammer brain cant grasp, you find that upsetting and are name calling because of it. You do you. Theres often a romance period before a marriage. Maybe they make that transition from enamored lust to love, maybe they don't.

I do know a little about starting a small business. Currently 3 yrs in 10 employees, steady MoM revenue growth, profitable. How are your business(es)? Is anyone's health insurance for their newborn dependent on Motronic's business? Did you have customers for that business within 3 months of deciding you want to take steps toward starting it?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 4, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I’m still confused about what competitive hugging has to do with doughnuts. I acknowledge thread moved on but I’m over here like…

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Scientastic posted:

Bofa Doughnuts

There’s a good donut place in Las Cruces NM called Bosa donuts, thank you for reminding me of them.

Random names
Big Ds Donut Hole
[City Name] Donuts
Blackbird Donuts
Donut Party
Donuts USA
Donut Palace
Donut Shanty
Super Jacks Donut Shack

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you are anywhere near :wrongcity: there is already one that will probably sue the poo poo out of you

Trademark search is OPs problem not mine

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I got the tude now posted:

He should do both

Lol no, no one needs a fiverr business plan

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rationale posted:

I posted nasty pics but I forgot to do airplane mode and whatnot stay tuned

More business names:
Rational Lee's Espresso Shanty
Donut Bean Basement
Donut Fry for Me, I'm Already Poor
Donut Park Here
Toby Jones Good rear end Donut & Foot Massage

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i like Espresso Shanty. maybe donut shanty? hes not coffee based but i suppose he did buy espresso machines

Espresso Shanty is for the irony of parking in the patchy grass to buy a $4 coffee.

E: I just realized I was using $4 coffee kinda pejoratively there but I've definitely spent $4 on a donut multiple times and $4 doesnt buy much anymore. IFL donuts tho

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 19, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Epitope posted:

It a good to visualize victory, of running into the end zone and the crowd cheering. Seeing victory in your mind's eye helps illuminate the path. You gotta catch the ball though. You gotta watch the ball until your hands close around it. You gotta clean out and rehab that building. If you are immediately tackled, well, you've still made yards. Don't daydream about victory so much you fumble

Okay but what about a car analogy :iiaca:

EDIT:
We're all picking on the buildings exterior...but at least it is actually a storefront with a retail window. :unsmith:

Also here are some more donut business names in line with wrestling:

Donut Ring
Donut Defense League
Exceptional Donuts
Donut Duel
Donut vs Coffee
Donut Match
Assailant Donuts - "Try our donuts, you'll never get better"
About Donuts - As in a "Bout"
Donut Debate
Federation of Donuts
Donut Federation

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 19, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rationale posted:

I’m gonna pave the lot and cut in drive-thru windows ya goofies

Rationale posted:

The interior is catastrophic. Knob and tube wiring. Water been off since the bush administration. Dead birds. Horny ghosts.

So you have to modify everything except MAYBE the plumbing?

Baking chat:
I'm gonna try to make a pie (apple) for the first time in my life today. Its my dead grandmas recipe. The recipe card is dated 1984 and it definitely contains ingredients that she did not put in when I was a kid helper to said pie making.

If good, bringing it to thanksgiving. Wish me luck.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

n8r posted:

Sell the money pit and rent in a viable location.

Yea thats what I dont get. If running a donut business is such a good idea, why start with the building? Retail/restaurant space there is what? $25/sf/yr? You maybe need 1500 square feet? So call it $35k-$40k/yr to lease.

Versus what are the costs of owning and operating from this location?
- Renovation, landscaping, etc. seems like it'd be at LEAST 2-3 years of a lease, even if a lot is DIY.
- Mowing the lawn, fixing poo poo post reno, installing hear/AC
- Property taxes + insurance
- Financing (I think you said you own outright so maybe not this)
- Lost revenue due to opening delays
- Opportunity cost due to having less business because you are stuck wherever this is rather than a more desirable space

...seems like that could pretty easily eclipse $40K/yr.

That said I get some of that is an investment in the building you expect to recoup potentially. I also get the emotional aspect of owning something without debt.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sirotan posted:

Made some rainbow bagels the other day for a work thing. My bagel forming skills need work but they came out pretty good and were really tasty. The everything flavored ones went fast, should have made more of them:

What they look like when you cut them in half:

These look fantastic!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nice! W2G! How do they taste?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 20, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tempora Mutantur posted:

(I'd be drinking the finest of cheap, powdered instant coffee)

loving hell

youre banned from sharing advice about coffee to people. the gently caress is wrong with you drinking that poo poo

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

as a flavoring in a chocolate cake

Yea true, the exception to instant coffee is disgusting haram garbage. I fuckin love a chocolate cake with some coffee in the cake, a chocolate frosting between layers and a cream cheese icing on the outside.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 22, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hot scrote water

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tempora Mutantur posted:

don't teabag your coffee, wtf

chai with scrote milk is better than nestle instant

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tnuctip posted:

Maybe the OP should just open a convenience store that sells instant coffee and pre made donuts?

Wire racks and a bodega cat is cheaper than renovations

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

aw frig aw dang it posted:

instant coffee. Good enough to drink black

aw frig aw dang it posted:

the little powdered Hostess donuts are pretty dope, ngl

to each their own but jfc, it's hard not to interpolate these statements into what your opinions on things must be like...

nissan versa is a great car!
miley cyrus is so avant-garde.

is an ideal sunday for you like instant coffee, a box of cheap donuts and an all day binge watch of white people renovating houses?

EDIT: These are valid opinions, they're just surprising to read. Apologies that this has a curt and dismissive tone.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Grumpwagon posted:

I own a Nissan versa and the only donuts I like are the hostess powdered sugar donuts. If I liked instant coffee I'd be looking out my windows right now wondering why you were spying on me.

Sounds like you should give instant coffee another go.

EDIT: In case you feel like you have nothing to live for, I heard Behr paints is coming out with a new shade of beige.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 23, 2022