Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Rationale posted:

Wife is filing the papers and she said she’ll name everything after herself if I don’t come up with a cool name in like a week does anyone have any cool names I can use?

One for the property and one for the business.

Quoting this because I think there is an off chance that this dynamic might be what leads to this business succeeding.

If OPs wife is handling all the actual details required for this venture, the paperwork, business plan, market research, etc etc, then they might be getting done even if OP isn't involved or remotely interested. All of OPs interests shown in this thread is pretty physical -- the building modifications, acquiring and messing around with the related machines, even the out-of-nowhere grappling belt awards. Teams with very strong divisions of labor do sometimes work pretty well. If he does all of the physical stuff, sourcing and maintaining equipment, handling building modifications and food prep to a high standard while his wife handles all of longer term planning, product selection, pricing, and budgeting work, they both will be contributing necessary halves of the project.

IF SO, and if OP continues posting as he has been, this is going to be a very awesome troll thread as we see the business actually take off and work-- but we only ever get the updates and insights from one half of the team, the guy who is utterly avoiding several critical components for success. Incidentally the areas he is ignoring are the areas that the BFC forum is actually good at giving advice for.

In short: OP-- buy your wife an account, have her post this thread. You may better enjoy taking your own contributions to the DIY forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Rationale posted:

Interior remodel which means I can get power and gas on over there which will make it easier to get stuff done.

The village solicitor actually nastygrammed my wife about some sort of vacant building fee until she went into an office where a nice clerk wrote “plumbing, electrical, carpentry” in the space that was labeled “plans” and charged $25. Now that lawyer can shove it up his rear end and ALSO we can do any nonstructural interior work we please.

It’ll be so nice just to have heat and lights in there

Poster wife doing all the paper and planning work thats getting done at all: confirmed

OP can get back to the weird subset of business prep that appeals to his hoarding instincts

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Rationale posted:

Other enterprises we considered were country store, motorcycle mechanic, bicycle shop, book store, and gym.

I thought about making it into a plumbing workshop and using it to build prefabricated plumbing batteries to sell to contractors maybe even deliver it real nice where their guys can just square it up and tie it in.

But then I’d have to sell that service and I’m generallly facetious to the point where people find me obnoxious so I’d rather go with something that sells itself

that plumbing idea sounds potentially promising tbh. Most of your other ideas require high volume and nothing about the area you've described sounds like it'll support that. I don't really know what you're talking about with "plumbing batteries" but whatever it is clearly trades on your current expertise and so is an automatic high wall for any competition, is a much lower volume business so you don't need to make nearly as many sales, and presumably you could ship or deliver to a much larger surrounding area, because the frequency of people needing this is rare enough they are willing to have it transported a fair distance. So a much larger addressable market area.

If your sales personality is so seriously off putting why do you think a business that requires hundreds of sales a day is the better option?

Edit to add: Other benefits of plumbing sales is that it requires far less building modifications or permitting, and has a much nicer transition from your current gig. Can built up a few orders at a time on weekends / evenings etc to build out your sales network and skills, and then you'll have at least some proved cashflow on the day you quit your main job. You won't have to coordinate a "grand opening" and hype general consumer buzz, etc.

jemand fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 17, 2022

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

follow up question OP -- is that plumbing concept the only business to business idea you've considered? That building is not really the sort of building that screams out "direct to consumer" ANYTHING. And yet, consumer poo poo is so much more readily to mind for people who are just new to owning businesses who aren't thinking in great detail about anything, but just grabbing some random concept they are used to paying for at some point in the past themselves.

B2B sales is where lots of money is at, though, so you really should have considered it far more comprehensively. Especially with THAT building.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Rationale posted:

That’s just a scale drawing of the building as it is right now.

I think like 6000 people live within a ten minute drive

Just need 3% of the entire population coming to your store every single day.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

zaurg posted:

Solid plan imo

:five:

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

We probably don't want to talk rentals. Thread OP is already making enough forum drama without being explicit about his landlording behaviors.

Edit: my head cannon is that he won those properties in wrestling matches.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

I googled "rent a donut" and I learned that there exists a business model where customers pay to rent a decorative wall structure covered in assorted donuts.

Maybe OP could consider a new fantasy offering for their shop. They'd probably greatly enjoy the construction portions making all the variously inventive decorative shapes. I'm sure there's no need to estimate how many potential customers in the area actually are having fancy events or parties each month prior to getting started.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Ok so, we all know the staffing of this place normally is bonkers, nobody wants to have short hours / split hours / clopen type shifts.

Given that context some qs:
How old are Rationale's kids?
What are Ohio laws about children working in parents businesses?
What are Ohio laws about homeschooling/truancy?

Because I've definitely seen family run businesses putter along just above the threshold of viable all through the years of "homeschooling" kids and take a dive once they're out and external staffing must be sorted out, convinced to show up, and be actually paid. Obviously another question relevant here is the relationship desired with adult kids, but that's apparently not been a factor yet what with all the discussions of how little non work time he's going to have with fam along this proposed path.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

litany of gulps posted:

I'm trying to parse these metaphors. I thought you were some kind of plumber, but now I'm pretty sure you're an ambitious, powerful sex worker. I'm not sure how the guns and donuts fit into this paradigm

Whatever he's doing seems pipe is involved somehow. Maybe that's why he's focused on filled donuts he's got to pipe the jelly in or whatever, & not sure the gun connection.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

yeah this is BFC, you're not getting 200k from me. But given bulk price discounts & a little googling of donut prices, if you've got a volume of like half a million donuts produced regularly, you probably could work up a good business plan & get 200k to support that.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Rationale posted:

You’re giving me the creeps

Pic is where I’m crawling to buy me a bakery

Rather than walking into a bank

Pictured: the site of a donut business that shall be more successful than dunkin, & without any business planning.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

following the leaps of logic & references isn't easy, but regardless, it doesn't obscure the clear pattern emerging that all your ventures are vastly more about SPENDING money than MAKING any money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

oh I get it now.

marketing strategy === beat up all potential customers until they spend sufficient money in donut store.

OP really does love to retreat to claims of physical supremacy & boasting of the sorts of behavior that conforms to whatever the type of dude who has wrestling trophies on his wall considers to be "bad rear end."

I really don't think such stuff is really as transferable skill set as OP tends to believe it is. But by all means, he should continue to plan to kick rear end on a retail store venture by bragging of the ability to go out and beat up the entire town.