Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

why not lease the real estate to someone else who can take these risks instead of you

This feels like the winning move to me. You're the loving landlord, OP. Rent that poo poo out to someone else and make them do the work while you get your easy money either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

But really the deal here is you got a Free Building...

On this point... whatever you do, please do not do anything with this business idea that puts your building as collateral. I think running your own coffee/donut shop is a bad business decision, but you do you. If you do it correctly (IANAL, etc etc), the worst-case scenario is you lose some cash and time, and then rent out the building like you should have in the first place. Don't do anything to sabotage your ownership of that building. Out here where I live, there are all these iconic businesses where the owners are retiring or closing from pandemic costs, etc etc, and I'm learning that they never owned the building they were in. Places I never would have dreamed were leasing, were leasing for like 40-70 years from the owners. No matter what I think of the owners themselves, like it or not, there was a building owner hiding behind that (bar, diner, clothing store, etc etc) pocketing money while doing next to nothing for decades. That could be you (on a shorter time-scale, probably, but all the same).

Edit: Don't cash out retirement accounts, take a reverse mortgage, raid the college funds, etc etc. None of that either.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2022

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bloody posted:

If you want to actually succeed in this space just franchise a dunkin

I started an effort post about how Dunkin makes most of its money from franchise fees and even they don’t bother with the real work (because that’s a sucker’s game of long-hour low-pay), but OP ain’t worth it. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

I know he's kinda egging it on, but the hostility seems weird and unnecessary. If the dude wants to play fast and loose, it's his chip stack to blow. What is shouting at him that he should play tighter going to help?

This subforum is what, 15 years old? Do you know how many times we've done this song and dance? It's the business equivalent of Goon Trapped In Well (https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2189), but since we all recognize it now, we start pissing on them a little early.

Plus, dead gay comedy forum. We gave our real, legit advice and now it's time for mockery until the next sucker recipient of our wonderful help comes along. :haw:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 15, 2022

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
These threads are so, so predictable every time, troll-OP or not.

God bless, DonutZaurg. Let no advice steer you away from this amazing content following your donutdream.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Is the user name “Zaurg but a donut” taken?

If not, I’ll sure it will be soon.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

I just bought a Univex srm 40 for $1630 so you can’t tell me poo poo!

If true, you actually got an 80% discount so legit good job. Have you priced in wear and tear? Is it in good shape? The bowl itself costs as much as your entire purchase price, as an example.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

oh rly posted:

Tell us more about the pizzatitty place. Do you have an idea on why it failed? Got the old name?

Perhaps you can hire the old staff and expand into the donuttitty industry.

TikTok keeps trying very hard to convince me that lingerie baristas are a thing. Maybe he can throw on a corset and work front counter too.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

My homie is a hard times dairy farmer I wonder if there’s any way to buy his milk directly

Please please please use raw milk in all your drinks. Think of the market niche you could fill!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Not trying to doxx, but was more just curious. I took a look at the streetview of the closed down pizzeria from your invoice and poked around the building's history, and honestly I'm amazed anyone ever tried to put a restaurant in that location in the first place. :lol:

How does your donut shop's location compare, in terms of density/traffic, to that pizzeria? I don't think you could run a successful anything out of that pizzeria's location (maybe an ag store?) and if yours is comparable, Saint Dunkin himself couldn't keep the lights on in it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. :doh:

quote:

There is a definite stupid guy attraction to donuts as a get rich plan,

See, I don't understand this (I believe you, I just don't get it). If I look at the best- and worst-case outcomes for owning a donut shop, 99.99% of positive outcomes just put you making a middle-income income on a shop while working a full-time job or more, while assuming all the risks. The remaining 0.01% of "against all odds, you won the lottery" positive outcomes are still a middle-class income but with employees at the shop plus normal hours for yourself. None of those outcomes are fame and riches. Meanwhile, the negatives are mostly disastrous or at minimum very expensive. Because again: big donut stores don't make their money on donuts. They make their money by franchising out to suckers who then might make money on donuts overpriced coffee. FFS, Dunkin took the Donuts part out of their name.

Nothing about a donut shop (unless you're actually using it to launder money and/or sell drugs) screams Get Rich to me. At all.

quote:

an add-on he called the Dough-Joe

Okay, hear me out: A store that sells DIY donut+decoration kits you take home to fry so you can pretend you're hot poo poo or something. We'll call it "John Dough" because you're the anonymous donuteer behind it all.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

dude you can't set yourself up like this :cmon:

And it was on that fateful 25th Day of October in the Year of Our Lord 2022, that BFC realized there was no mod.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

Make me ik. I promise to do a really bad job

We already have one of those. He never leaves the Law thread. :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Obvious troll, gas thread

Admins, please make me mod for one day just so I can gas / probe, then remove. TIA.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I once had an idea to open a coffee shop. Not even joking. Then, when I thought about it a while, I realized what I actually wanted was to go to a coffee shop. So instead of spending $75K and countless hours of my time, I took a chilly autumn vacation day and sat around a quiet cafe with a book, tea and sweets. It cost me like $15 for six hours of wonderful relaxing time, and I didn't have to serve any customers!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

OP something came up in the oregon thread and I'm wondering if you've considered the possibility of making your place a gentlemanne's cabaret donut & coffee shop to really drive in the traffic?

It seems like you need more of a gimmick to really get people interested than just "guy who has never made coffee or donuts, has no business or entrepreneurial experience, and ignores virtually all the advice he asks for, please come buy my stuff"

So like, have you considered slinging 'spresso in a speedo?

lmao we were suggesting the same thing in the BWM thread.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You're getting all the food-contacting surfaces of this used equipment passivated, right? You aren't going to just put a list of every known food allergen that ever could possibly have touched a used mixer on your menu and pray to god that no restaurant inspector asks for equipment certs, right? :haw:

Also, you're gonna make a donut eventually, right?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

Hadn’t ever heard of that actually, thanks.

The process so far has been pressure washer then sanitizer then hose rinse then barkeeper’s friend. It looks passivated? Oh well, I’ll email my inspector.

Also yeah it looks like Sunday we’ll fry up 20 pounds or so of dough.

It might not be a requirement in your state. Guidelines depend on locality. Out here in CA, though, I'd need to do a chem-strip/passivate on contacting surfaces unless I want to say that used equipment with an unknown history had all possible things on it. TL;DR, do your research and go make some goddamned donuts.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

This is fabulous.

quote:

FWIW I always expect to pay a little more than dunkin for local coffee and donuts on the east coast. Cali is different because every donut shop is some how the same store, same display case, same pink box with a different name on it and way fewer dunkin donutses. Good profits and frugality will let you replace the poo poo that breaks.

Donuts suck in CA, at least bay area. People are like, "omg there's fruity pebbles on it and a live chicken cooked into the bear claws!" but it's really just to mask that the place sucks at donuts for some reason so random-rear end novelty toppings are all they have to work with. Hell yeah, let me pay $7 for a single grocery-store grade donut. Support small (terrible) businesses! :haw:

Also, CarForumPoster - we're pissed at him because he hasn't even made a goddamned donut yet. I don't mean "on his new equipment." I mean ever.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Powerful Katrinka posted:

And because OP is a stupid dick

I mean yeah, but we put up with a lot of dicks here if they actually know what they're talking about or follow through on things. Motronic is still here, after all. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pentyne posted:

Given how many 24hr cash only donut shops there are in Socal I've always been convinced they were money laundering fronts.

I wouldn't be too surprised. That's how I feel about half the small businesses I see up in the bay area. There's simply no way they're making rent from the actual services/products they sell. The money has to be coming from somewhere else (or I guess maybe they have a pre-paid lease they're waiting out and trying to cut their losses on before going out of business).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

As of 2 weeks ago he didn’t even have a machine to make donuts so idk why goons think he should’ve made donuts. If he wants to hoard cheap restaurant equipment and make baby steps, he’s allowed to. Many or most businesses start a similar way when you don’t have a loan.

(1) You don't need a 40L mixer to have made even one single donut at some point in your life. If the dude was some home baking hobbyist with a dream, I'd be a bit more on board with this because of the bold-texted part further down. He isn't, though. He's never made a real donut in his life, even at home. He's opened a pack of Pillsbury croissants and deep-fried them, and only after accumulating a shitload of gear IIRC. That's a pretty bad starting point. Also, honest-to-god, his posting style reminds me so much of manic-state Zaurg that I'd be only minimally surprised if an admin came in and confirmed it was an old-reg parachute. Nothing Zaurg-adjacent gets any points with me. I only had two real rules when I was BFC mod, and they were 'knock it off with gendered slurs' and 'gently caress Zaurg, gtfo.'

(2) Sure, you can hoard restaurant equipment and talk about your upcoming business on SA, but this is SA and we're gonna poo poo on you if you come across as an idiot. That's what we do.

Most food service places fail, and that's with a business plan and some kind of experience. Since he has the building already and an alternative income, his odds are way better because there's no rent to pay and he doesn't have to rely on donuts to pay the bills. That doesn't make it a good financial decision and it doesn't mean that it won't be a hobby business that loses money. If he has a blast, great, good for him. I wish him the best of luck (but am here with the popcorn for spectacular implosions). Even if he is able to break even on it, it's still a bad financial plan. He could also landlord the gently caress out of the building for minimal effort and probably equivalent/higher return.

Remember: The dilemma here isn't "risk it all on a donut business" vs "nothing." It's "risk it all on a donut business" vs "let someone else pay me rent while they risk it all instead."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 29, 2022

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

D'oh! :haw:

GL, hope they taste good. Post your trip report for goonscience.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

hattersmad posted:

Why are you frying donuts in a pan on cinder blocks in your yard what even is happening

Yeah I don't think this one's a fair gripe. If his kitchen doesn't have a good vent or is small, doing it outside saves him having to deal with a fine sheen of oil on basically everything after he's done.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

No I’m literally gonna buy up liquidation auctions til I feel like I have something and then apply for a permit.

Two things:

#1 - Did you buy yourself that (honestly pretty rad) avatar, or did someone get it for you?
#2 - What in the christ-loving gently caress is Engineering Psychology?
#3 - (I lied about two things) How did those donuts taste? :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

EnPsy is another term for human factors stuff. It’s legitimate.

Ohh, like the Human Performance Analysis stuff? OK yeah that's real. I hadn't heard of it as Engineering Psychology before, if so. Carry on :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

The derelict pickup holds my firewood

Oh good, I was worried it was your second-hand food truck. :v:

But yeah, you made some donuts and own the location. I'm just here for the popcorn now; carry on, good goon. :salute:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

I never thought I would write these words, but where is Zaurg to save us from this mediocre troll?

Quick reminder for whenever anyone forgets the reality of Zaurg: When a relatively-friendly poster talked in his thread about how much he (Zaurg) was going to regret not getting his life in order from the perspective of missing time/experiences with his children, and she told him how her own kid had died young, Zaurg had the balls to ask her if she had budgeted for the funeral. He was a pathetic shitstain of a human being at worst, worthless multi-year troll at best. The forum is better off without him.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

What should I do with overstock then smart guy?

I’m told that if you use a hammer on them, you get back half the original flour and gold you used to make them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Speedos for everyone. Speedo cooks, servers, customers. Be the loose change you want to see.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm going to sit back and wait for OP to come back with the next step forward. I want to see stuff moving into this store and the interior shots next. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the actual gently caress have I just read?

The result of nobody being able to close the thread or probate anything. :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

drat now I’m all that and a coward too

I missed it - did you ever answer whether or not you bought that avatar? It's absolutely epic and if you didn't buy it, someone gave you a kickass av.

E: VVVVV Thanks Epitope!

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 3, 2022

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

toplitzin posted:

What flavor would a White Knight donut be?

strawberry icing, pistachios, and something unidentifiable but salty that makes something in your psyche deeply uncomfortable.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Floorplan of the building, or photos of the interior? I assume you're not going to doxx your own business, so I won't ask for the exterior photos. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

Buddy’s havin a party so I think I’ll try to take a bunch of donuts

That's legitimately a good idea for when you're closer to opening, btw. Bring a bunch of kickass donuts of different types to social things, and if people really like them, tell them you're gonna start selling them soon and give them a card with your grand opening day.

Also, if your town newspaper or web equivalent is as lovely as most are, they're probably desperate for any local news and would legit run a "new donut restaurant" PR piece for a few bucks or even free once you're ready.

Or you could find a printing press getting auctioned off from a failed newspaper, buy it, start your own paper, dedicate it entirely to your donut store, carpet-bomb the whole region in donut news, and wait nope got distracted by something shiny after the auction part. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Adolf Glitter posted:

Ah, it sounds like the taste of the smell they spray in shops at Christmas time

Basically. It's something that is pretty nice when done correctly and in moderation, but people ran it into the loving ground and/or created disgusting artificial versions that suck beyond belief.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

How did Portland go so incredibly astray? Californians probably

Bloody posted:

Keep Portland weird, says a guy who moved there from San Francisco eighteen months ago,

Basically. The writing was on the wall the moment the city became "hip" enough to even conceive the concept of the Portlandia show. :v:

Semi-related: Conservatives in red states that I occasionally keep in contact with for god-only-knows-why love to trot out the whole "people are running away from California in droves!" horseshit line, but it usually makes them stop and think when you point out that they're gonna move to the cheaper red states and bring their politics + COL with them. "Do you realize that my town alone could turn your state blue if it relocated there? You might want to reconsider how much you celebrate this."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 6, 2022

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

When voodoo opened it was like ya this is a bit overpriced and gimmicky, but you were still going to a weird hole in the wall to buy a donut shaped like a dick

A coworker of mine here in SF literally flew to Portland to go to Voodoo Donuts, back in like 2016 or 2017. Presumably she did other stuff too, but that was the part she kept telling us about.

I won't walk ten minutes out of my way for a donut, while some people will apparently deal with airport security for them. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Whatever this thread’s future might be, can we not drop “retard” slurs in TYOOL 2022? No mods, no masters, but I doubt it’ll stay that way for long if the forum goes down that rabbit-hole.