Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Khorne posted:

The most confusing part about this thread is people claiming CVS sells alcohol. I've never seen one of those in my life, but I do have 3 CVS locations within 15 minute walking distance from my home.

I think it's one of those things that varies a lot by state and county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

LanceHunter posted:

I think it's one of those things that varies a lot by state and county.
You guys really should change it to the Different States of America for the sake of accuracy.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Khorne posted:

The most confusing part about this thread is people claiming CVS sells alcohol. I've never seen one of those in my life, but I do have 3 CVS locations within 15 minute walking distance from my home.

yes, I am doxxing myself here because I bet the list of states that have a high concentrations of CVS but none with liquor licenses is a fairly short one

Lots of establishments sell liquor (grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies) in states that don't have a state controlled liquor board/ABC stores.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Lots of establishments sell liquor (grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies) in states that don't have a state controlled liquor board/ABC stores.
Oddly, I live in a state where it's fairly common for grocery stores & gas station convenience stores to carry alcohol. It's only pharmacies where I haven't seen any.

e: I might go to CVS later today. I'll be on the lookout for alcohol. This may be a "something awful poster/old man is out of touch with current reality" moment.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 14, 2022

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Years ago we had a drug store where they had their liquor store as a completely separate entity on the same strip mall right next store. I think for a while, too, they MIGHT have had a service window inside the two stores so you could complete a separate liquor store transaction without needing to physically leave the drug store.

I think by a similar note, Walmart used to do something like that in communities that restricted the size of stores by installing separate Walmart General Merch store and a Walmart Grocery store right next to one another instead of a single Supercenter.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

yea like a drugstore cowboy

paying for wonder bread and milk with the cvs cashier

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Khorne posted:

I used to work for CVS corporate until a few months ago and I can tell you it varies from state-to-state.

There is no liquor in any CVS in RI, but as soon as you cross into NH they all have booze.

Unless you want to just get drunk on mouthwash.

https://youtu.be/OOCdIY_HKM4

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Seriously, why?? Everything costs more there. Is it just an issue of access? If so, that's sad.

I used to shop at pharmacies frequently when I didn’t have a car. I still don’t drive much and use the pharmacy to get little things. Sometimes I just go cause I’m bored.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
CVS could probably really revolutionize pharmacies by including an adult novelty section, a meat locker, and an oil change station.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

PureEvil6_13 posted:

CVS could probably really revolutionize pharmacies by including an adult novelty section,

My CVS has a whole aisle of dildos and vibrators. No bullshit.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My local CVS (and Walgreens) both stock liquor, but it's a limited selection and all the bottles have those weird security caps on them that the cashiers have to unlock.
Which is a pain in the rear end, because most times the cashiers aren't at the front desk because they want you to self-check out, but you can't, and then they realize that they need to call a manager to get the key thing to unlock stupid security cap.
So mostly it's just a pain in the rear end.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i do my grocery shopping at the grocery store.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My CVS has a whole aisle of dildos and vibrators. No bullshit.

Weirdest thing. . a friend of mine just asked me where this CVS is located.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Weirdest thing. . a friend of mine just asked me where this CVS is located.

Not just my kinky neighborhood.

Online too.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/sexual-health/vibrators-adult-toys

Dildos are fine, but a bottle of Shiraz would be crossing the line in my state apparently.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i think most cvs have a dildos aisle now

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i do my grocery shopping at the grocery store.

Well la-de-da mr fancy pants here shopping in designated areas

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

CVS has carpets, so when incontinent old people poo poo themselves it stains the carpet.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Back in California CVS was the only place that carried Tapatio ramen, so I did buy that there.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When I worked retail at CVS, people would buy whatever was in the sale paper. It was rarely a good price, but people don't price compare, and would just come in and buy it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Gotta hit up a street with a cvs and rite aid next to each other to scope the best deals.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ninjoatse.cx posted:

When I worked retail at CVS, people would buy whatever was in the sale paper. It was rarely a good price, but people don't price compare, and would just come in and buy it.

Yeah I worked at a couple of them and people didn't really buy all their groceries but goddamn there were some old regulars that would just load their carts with whatever junk was discounted.

We also had a big beer theft issue. We were near a freeway and staffed mostly by teenagers. These guys would come in and fill one of the little carts with 6 or 7 cases of beer and then run out the front door where his mates would hoist the whole thing into their pickup and drive off.

My manager (who was also stealing) yelled at me to go after them and I was like "yeah no thanks pal".

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Poohs Packin posted:

Yeah I worked at a couple of them and people didn't really buy all their groceries but goddamn there were some old regulars that would just load their carts with whatever junk was discounted.

We also had a big beer theft issue. We were near a freeway and staffed mostly by teenagers. These guys would come in and fill one of the little carts with 6 or 7 cases of beer and then run out the front door where his mates would hoist the whole thing into their pickup and drive off.

My manager (who was also stealing) yelled at me to go after them and I was like "yeah no thanks pal".

i was one of the hoisters

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

CVS sells alcohol but won't sell nicotine or even blunt wraps. It's a weird place.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oh Don Piano posted:

i was one of the hoisters

They looked like the union guys from Disco Elysium

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Well la-de-da mr fancy pants here shopping in designated areas

we live in a society

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
CVS is where I do all of my Christmas Day gift shopping for my parents on the way to see them.

They also have Arizona Tea cans for 99 cents which is nice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Yaldabaoth posted:

If I understand this, they're all basically pharmacies that also have a sizable selection of groceries. Is that right?

Yes but no fresh meat or produce or fresh-baked anything, they just have lots of packaged stuff and dairy staples. Also everything is way, way, way expensive. I don't know who is buying these things at these stores, that's why I made this thread

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cyks posted:

CVS is where I do all of my Christmas Day gift shopping for my parents on the way to see them.

They also have Arizona Tea cans for 99 cents which is nice.

Okay yes I will go to CVS or Walgreens or Rite-Aid or wherever the day after Easter, Halloween, or Christmas, because the pharmacy chains do some real good deals on the leftover holiday candy

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

They sold cigarettes when I was there and I may have stolen more than a few boxes of Macanudos to pass around with the boys.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Haha, my CVS is inside a Target! No shame in grabbing some groceries now and then.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I went shopping in a Walmart a few night ago and noticed that the price difference between store brands and name brand is much more pronounced than it was just a few months ago, to the point that if you're going with name brand the drug store prices are pretty competitive.

I understand rising prices and inflation, but I was just more shocked by the sudden difference of brand/generic.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
My medical insurance wanted me to switch my prescriptions to CVS. I pointed out to our Union rep that the closest CVS to my home is over 30 miles away, and not particularly convenient. Lots of other people had the same problem, so the union renegotiated, and they dropped the CVS requirement.

Never been in one, but I've heard more than one comedian say that CVS receipts are really long for some reason. That's all I know about them.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah you can go in to buy a stick of gum and end up with 4.5ft of receipt covered in coupons for 20c off tampons and poo poo. Sometimes you'd get a straight up $5 off your next shop buried in there though so you had to check them every time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Some CVS have a machine near the door where you can scan your loyalty card thing before you start shopping and it will print you out a five foot copy of all the current coupons.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

somebodys gotta buy that stuff. why not me

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Some CVS have a machine near the door where you can scan your loyalty card thing before you start shopping and it will print you out a five foot copy of all the current coupons.

have they heard of phone apps?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yes but no fresh meat or produce or fresh-baked anything, they just have lots of packaged stuff and dairy staples. Also everything is way, way, way expensive. I don't know who is buying these things at these stores, that's why I made this thread

I think the ones in SF sell pineapples and [old] sushi

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I always chose a printed receipt at CVS. I haven’t bought toilet paper for over a decade.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wendigee posted:

have they heard of phone apps?

Well then what would the comedians make fun of without the long rear end receipts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I always chose a printed receipt at CVS. I haven’t bought toilet paper for over a decade.

opening SMARTEST lifehacks thread asap