Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I want a GTA6 where after 2 stars the police are likely to just roll in and make the situation a million times worse, shooting the wrong people, yelling poo poo like "I AM FEARING FOR MY LIFE RIGHT NOW".

It wouldn't be clever or interesting social commentary, but at least it would get the next generation of gamers prepared for real life.

edit: Ive played only a few hours of GTA5. Does Rockstar ever satirize American police or is that off limits for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

fridge corn posted:

Yeah but I already beat the guy once having to beat him again and again is just tedious

Like I'll be straight up and say *in Casnorf voice* this is a me problem, but it's one I really struggle to overcome.

Actually hold on a sec, cuz one of my all time favourite games of all time, Mission Thunderbolt, is a roguelike. It's nearly impossible to beat, even when cheating, but that's not the point of it, every run is so randomised and different, there are no scripted events, the whole game is just go out and explore and see what cool poo poo you can find a mess about with.

Very early inscryption stuff:

I can see theres some cool meta stuff going on with inscryption but the gameplay is too repetitive for me, sure theres some randomisation and theres been new mechanics added each run but the scripted boss fights just make each run feel identical as the last one, and there feels like theres an ending to the game, some overarching mystery to discover but the game's tedium is getting in the way of me reaching it. Idk but I havent found it compelling enough to bring me back around to it.

Embrace death. It's more important at this point in the game to die and get an opportunity to create a good death card. You're guaranteed to beat the prospector after you create a few good death cards to rely upon.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Casnorf posted:

Much as I love Returnal, its roguelike aspects aren't super compelling. The weapons tend toward homogeneity over time and the rooms have no strong narrative structure beyond the very most basic of visual themes. I don't think it'd work as a more straightforward framework, but I'm not really super sure how to approach the integration of procedural elements without spilling directly into roguelike terminology. It's...some secret third thing, hahaha.

Agree. You don't really ever get a synergistic build by methodically making the right choices over a run. Returnal succeeds based solely on it's atmosphere and absolutely fantastic combat. It honestly would've been better if it had emulated Hades' flow where you just pick your weapon at the start of a run.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 20, 2022

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Oh so FFXVI is game of thrones with a pinch of Xenogears? Extremely pumped for this game I hope it's long.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Chernabog posted:

Odin's voice seemed familiar and it turns out it was Richard Shiff.

Better yet, they modeled Odin AS Richard Schiff and it's loving awesome.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

About 10 hours into Ragnarok. Just finished the desert storm side quest and, man, this game loving rules. I'm going to try my best to play only 1-2 hours at a time and draw this out.

gently caress dark elves though. I like fighting light elves way more.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Morpheus posted:

Lol hitting their big demographic, people who watch the history channel

It's a competition show starring blacksmiths. The venn diagram of viewers of this program and gamers is probably a circle.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

acksplode posted:

It's the sound I make when mimir tells me I'm on fire for the billionth time

Close your heart to it

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Phenotype posted:

I thought that sounded like a plus, actually. There's also no cover and no missing attacks, so they've already removed a lot of the randomness from the combat system. I usually like deckbuilder mechanics shoved into any ol thing, though.

There's a game on PC called Trial of Fire and it's this + a hex grid like Settlers of Catan. The combo of cards and turn-based strategy RPG is really fun to me. If you have a PC, I highly recommend! Probably gonna pick up Midnight Suns. The performance looks pretty rough at launch though so I might wait for a few patches.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

I'm very excited for Witcher 3 upgrade so that I can keep a crossplay save between PS5 and Steam Deck. I put about 40 hours into the game on my PS4 pro but then it started crashing every time I opened the inventory. Very frustrating and they never patched it until I'd long given up and forgotten where I was in the game. NOT THIS TIME. If that bullshit happens again I'll just soldier on with my Deck. Witcher 3 is getting finished in 2023 godamnit.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

For me, Returnal was so fast paced it was physically uncomfortable to keep taking my thumb off the stick in order to dodge. The most important thing in Returnal is not getting hit. Shooting is secondary.

My advice: remap to shoulder buttons as mentioned, and use the Carbine until you unlock leech bullets. If the game is hard for you, leech bullets will get you through.

Also, set the auto aim reticle in options menu to the largest size. Folks say it's frustrating that Returnal has no difficulty settings, but that's not true: The auto aim setting IS the difficulty setting.

Still one of the most jaw dropping games I've played. Glad PC folks are going to get a chance to play.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Diablo 2 + 3 bundle is $20 on the holiday sale. Has anyone played 2 on a controller? How is it? D3 feels fantastic for just about every build except some of the ranged ones really need a mouse. I'm wondering if that's the same experience in D2.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

The Oculus quest 2 is similar resolution to psvr2 and I still think it looks disappointingly grainy when I'm using it. Maybe the foveated rendering tech will help PS5 apply strong anti-aliasing to the center of the image in each eye which could help things a lot. Straight lines and text are especially bad, but everything else is ok on Quest.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Nuts and Gum posted:

Only if you’re looking at the default home. Loading into a game suddenly the resolution sucks cause it’s powered by a mobile phone chip.

True. I mostly use my Quest 2 with my PC though so it's usually at full res. I'm really hoping PS5 is going to have good AA. I pretty much stopped playing VR until I can upgrade my GPU because it's just underpowered enough that I can tell what my experience could be.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

I started HFW over from scratch. Bought it on release day and like everyone else, Elden Ring completely knocked it out of rotation until I couldn't remember where I was in the story anymore.

I also thought the boss fights were more annoying than fun. I'm constantly losing sight of some giant robot and turning around frantically to find them (the giant snake comes to mind. I hated that fight). So this time around I put the difficulty at normal and I'm putting points into melee and using the shortrange bow more. I really don't understand why this game can't have a lock-on camera while not aiming the bow. Or give me on-screen indicators for where things are outside my field of vision. I know you want to think your 3d sound tech is lifechanging but it isn't. Games still need to supplement with onscreen indicators to simulate what your actual hearing would be like in the game.

So far I'm having more fun than my first playthrough, though, which was a lot of sneaking around until I get caught and battling to survive. The game is so loving pretty. I really wish games could get better acting though. These cutscenes are really cringey and Ashley Burch is competent but very boring to listen to. The supporting cast is the same, everything sounds disjointed and like they aren't in the same room with each other (which is probably the case). I'll chalk that up to bad directing though, not acting. God of War spoiled me.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 13, 2023

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Kena was a fantastic game for my 5yo to play with. I let him do all the exploration and handled the combat and he really enjoyed it. The generic story was presented well and he still talks about it months later. Solid 6/10 for me, but I don't regret purchasing.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

To whoever said COD:IW is essentially an unlicensed Expanse game, thank you. I bought the game on that description and I'm having a blast so far. First (and likely only) COD game! It is very Expansive.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Kilometers Davis posted:

GT7 is one of those indescribably well designed games where things repetitive, tedious, even maddening in a lot of ways become absolute zen. It’s a surprisingly relaxing game. I don’t think it’s possible for it to make me angry. It’s just such a good time and it never feels unfair or even like it’s working against you. It wants you to learn, get inspired and become a better racer.

I agree with this in all aspects except the menus. This loving game is a labyrinth.

Why don't the license exams have a "next exam" button after you finish? Why can't I jump from a race I'm about to enter, over to the Tuning shop to outfit my car to meet requirements of the race, and back to the race? Just so many QOL issues. I really like the game, but the UI is utter trash.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

I don't see what the big deal is with Suicide Squad. Barely anything of the single player campaign has been revealed. I seriously doubt Rocksteady spent all the years since Arkham Knight building what I saw last week. We saw Suicide Squad's take on TLOU Factions and everyone's freaking out like it's the whole game. I will probably play that dumb co-op mode if it's fun, but I'm getting the game because the single player campaign is likely to be fantastic given the pedigree.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Has anything been confirmed though? Everything we saw last week was to show off co-op mode. Is everyone just deducing from the confirmation that single player requires an internet connection? I just assumed they had a single player game in an open world that had some drop-in/drop-out co-op areas that are somewhat seamless like destiny.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Re: SSD chat

Personally I think it's way easier/cheaper to just get a big usb3 external hard drive to move games into cold storage while I'm not actively playing them. It takes 20-30min to move something back over, and all PS4 games can just play straight from the hard drive. If 2tb nvme prices come down I'll upgrade eventually, but i am hoping I can hold out for 4tb nvme to become a thing.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

I mean, GT7 is 120gb. I assume games are going all be that size in a few years so that's like 30 games on 4tb? By no means necessary, but convenient.

imo PS5's super fast storage is going to incentivize devs to make larger asset files now that they don't have to worry as much about shuttling them to VRAM.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

It's crazy how well local remote play works and it's never been used as a selling point in any PS5 ads. I use my steam deck as a PS5 remote and it's a dream.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Bioshuffle posted:

Just snagged Last of Us remake since it was on sale and I am completely blown away by the graphics and ray tracing. With my 120hz TV, I think the 40FPS is the best compromise for visual and gameplay, and I hope more AAA titles offer this feature.

Yeah it bodes well that it's already offered across so many PS5 titles and relatively few TVs support 120hz. I really hope by the end of PS5 lifespan, 40fps is the standard instead of 30. The jump from 30 to 40 is so much more noticeable than 40 to 60.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

If they manage to keep the price down, a remote play machine is actually great. That's one of the main things I do with my steam deck and the experience is shockingly good provided your home network is up to snuff.

I have PS5 wired to my router, and I play games by my fire pit in the backyard with no lag and no issues besides the occasional hiccup.

Trying to sell this device as something you can bring outside the house is really stupid though.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Well yeah, but when I use my iPad I have to prop it up on something, pair a controller. It's clumsy

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor install size is 155gb and folks were asking me why I would ever need a 4tb SSD lol. We're looking at 220gb AAA games by the end of this gen.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Holy poo poo that also means the disc version of Jedi will need to split into two discs. 155gb is baffling.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

acksplode posted:

Only bed making GBS threads I'm seeing is marketing PS5 around next-gen games using exclusive next-gen hardware features, giving us a glimpse of that at launch, and then spending the following couple years on crossgen games where the PS5 version gets you modestly better graphics and perfunctory support for dualsense features. The new subscription tiers are mediocre to bad but no one would care if Sony was following through on next gen exclusives.

This would not have happened except for a global pandemic and insane supply chain fuckups which were outside Sony's control. It hit the entire industry in terms of development cycles.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There are actually lots of games, on the Nintendo Switch

COVID is widely cited as the reason the most highly anticipated game on Switch still hasn't come out yet despite being announced in 2019. Not sure what you're getting at, but Sony was pretty open about the fact that the supply chain issues that constrained the PS5 is the reason they scrambled to go back and make so many games cross gen to rescue dismal projected sales numbers. Whether you disagree with the strategy, the phenomenon that precipitated it was something that hit the entire games industry pretty hard. You could argue that of all the platforms, Switch rode out the pandemic the most successfully because their platform is the least demanding from a production standpoint.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 13, 2023

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

acksplode posted:

GoWR and HFW both started development around 2018, there's no way PS4 support got added more than halfway through development. You don't take a game designed around SSD transfer speeds and just patch in HDD support. Those were crossgen games from the start. Covid ate my homework does not explain the lack of PS5 exclusives.

That's true. I'd wager Sony internally delayed a lot of the year 1 & 2 PS5 projects to wait for sales numbers to catch up. I guess we'll never know for sure, but if Sony were able to make as many PS5s as there was demand for it, I really don't think we'd be in our current predicament.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

I hope the HUD in FFXVI is highly customizable. I want those damage numbers off the screen they're distracting as hell

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Holy poo poo installing SSD in the PS5 took all of 5 min start to finish. It's really not apparent how fast these drives are until you transfer 600gb of data over in 8 min. Goddamn.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Also loved Ragnarok. I didn't chase after the endgame at all, just did a good chunk of the side quests and played it for the story.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Really hard to open the map and look for unexplored areas to go to that aren't adorned with big MAIN OBJECTIVE markers. One of the more enjoyable aspects of GOW is figuring out how to get past the obstacles blocking your path to the unexplored areas. In Ragnarok, much of the side content has actual character development or story vignettes. That's something that was lacking in GOW 2018.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Midnight Suns is fantastic. It'll be on every "underrated gems you missed" list for years. Sucks that the lead designer quit Firaxis because it sold like poo poo, but he got to make the game he wanted to make and that's awesome.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

All that fancy PS5 compression tech saved us... 10gb? Respawn cmon man wtf

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

The Mandalorian - not a new IP
Andor - not a new IP
Bad Batch - not a new IP.

You heard it here first, they're actually all 45 year old properties.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Ulio posted:

It's crazy that TLou got a remaster + remake and Horizon is getting a rumored remake/remaster as well before BB gets one. Feels BB with 60fps would be sell crazy for Sony especially if they put it out on Steam as well. At this point it must be something with the game engine making it hard to remaster. I love that game but man back when it came out it wasn't a big deal playing 30fps games but now it's just jarring.
I'm convinced Sony either has 60fps patch ready to go and they're just sitting on it until they have a dry spell, or they were going to give a BB remake to Bluepoint but then Bluepoint revolted and demand they be allowed to make their own goddamn game for once and the remake is pushed back until after that. I dunno, it's really weird given that 60fps has been seen in the wild.

BigDumper posted:

I’ve been playing the original Final Fantasy VII for the year of the JRPG because I’ve somehow never played it before, and it’s kind of… underwhelming. The combat and Materia is fun, and I love the setting, but why are there so many random mini games? I’ve spent more time playing mini games than anything else, and I’ve somehow never heard about this part of the game lol

Let's see there's the gym bro squat competition in Midgar, motorcycle chase, Fort Condor, Golden Saucer, and snowboarding that I can recall. What else? That's not too bad for a 50 hour game! Am I just forgetting a ton of mini games?

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Yeah my only complaint with FF7R is that hard mode isnt smarter or stronger enemies, it's just "lol you can't use items anymore" and it was a really lazy move by the devs. It's the only FF title that's ever had me looking forward to battles besides FFT.

I've been chipping away at Humanity. This game's fantastic and the difficulty ramp up is wonderful. I spent a long time last night (I was high which may have been a factor) getting both Goldies in The Wall. I really like that the levels themselves are so far pretty clear in terms of figuring out what to do, but getting Goldies is beginning to actually stump me without really thinking through it.

The music can get a bit annoying and I actually like that style of music.