Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did you guys turn on the lock-on function in Sushi Ghost? I just started playing it last night and I can't get comfortable with it or without it, feels like I'm fighting the camera all the time. Figure I just oughta pick the best option and just work on getting used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

is it still called being a weeb if you don't like anime but you think its fuckin cool to roam the countryside as a wandering samurai, battling injustice and writing terrible haikus? Cause I guess I'm a weeb now or whatever its called

also I've finally been playing ghost of tsushima

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Thirding The Forgotten City. You're right, it used to be an Oblivion mod before it got turned into its own little thing. Pretty great walk-and-talk adventure game, interesting storyline that, importantly, has a pretty good ending, too. You can finish the whole thing in a long afternoon if you get at it, though, I think it took me 7 hours altogether.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

tried deathloop again. in less than a minute of gameplay, i'm interrupted to be told i can "play my way" by doing stealth or guns blazing. then i killed two enemies, picked up one of their guns and was interrupted by a menu thing telling me how to use guns (loving lol) and then another one right after that told me how to swap weapons. then i went to pick up another gun on the ground right next to it and was interrupted by a menu thing telling me how to dual-wield.

all while there's in-world floating text telling you "their trash your decoy" AND THEN helper text in the HUD telling you that bottles are portable noise makers, what the buttons do, before finally explicitly telling you, the dumb loving idiot gamer, that "thrown bottles can distract Eternalists and draw them from your path."

IIRC the game does that all the way through the first loop as kind of an introduction, maybe an hour or so total, and then mostly lets you loose. The in-world floating text sticks around, but they're doing interesting things with it, it's not all "Press X to Fire Gun"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Frankston posted:

My game of the year list is probably going to be:

1. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
2. Disco Elysium
3. GoW Ragnarok

Disco Elysium slips to the number 2 spot because I haven't played it this year.

Is Like a Dragon really that good? I took a crack at it last night and man, I think I got to control the character for maybe ten minutes out of the first two hours. I gave up when I got out of jail and got ignored by Arasaka at the cemetary, and then drove off with the cop dude. Wasn't feeling like anything very special from the very little I played, just kind of a basic RPG system with an empty open-world?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So I'm playing the last God of War, and, uh, it kinda sucks? I haven't touched the series since playing the first one on PS2 ages ago, so I thought I'd get stuck into it in time for the new game and uh... the combat is kinda mediocre, right? Enemies that have too much HP and spawn all over the place, a camera that's a constant struggle and doesn't seem to track the enemies at all, and a lock-on system that will send my axe flying off into the distance rather than hit the targeted enemy ten feet away who's slowly walking towards me (super cool after wasting 3 seconds charging up the throw's AOE blast).

I finished Alfheim last night, and basically every fight was insanely frustrating, just an obnoxious amount of enemies who never stop attacking, so you have to keep dodging and you're never able to get an attack chain in, and the dragonfly elves just zip backwards if you get close. I died a couple times, but it's not even that it was challenging, it was just not fun because you're constantly having to stop doing cool things so you can dodge some more.

How did this game get such incredible reviews? Am I missing something? It's cinematic, sure, and I like the banter between Kratos and Boy, but good god does everything else seem mediocre.

e: oh, and the loving item system! With as little money as you get playing through the levels, why on earth did they decide to put in an upgrade system for each piece of loot? It is never, never going to feel good spending my limited money leveling up my wristguards from 1 to 1+, especially when I'll start seeing 2 and 2+ wristguards for sale within the next hour.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 24, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

are you using Atreus

I...think so? I mean, I hit square every once in a while to make him shoot arrows at stuff, and it's useful to have him distract one of the elves so I can deal with the other two, but most of the time there were so many elves that it didn't make much difference if I had six attacking me or all seven. I've bought him some skills, too, the first arrow damage increase and quiver upgrade, and the two initial light arrow upgrades, and a couple of the skills at the top of his tree that make him do different attacks during battle. I just wish he had an upgrade to make him shut up so each fight isn't a constant stream of "Father, look out!" because there's never more than three seconds between dodging one attack and another one coming at me.

I'm using my runic powers too, was much easier to remember once I noticed the cooldown UI in the bottom left and realized they were all R1 plus another button.

I dunno! Was real frustrated with what was probably supposed to be a cool setpiece, where you trash the temple and then have to fight your way up a narrow path through a million elves, and it was just so, so lame. Felt like I should be triumphantly smashing these losers on my way up to the top, but nope, gotta keep dodging because they're all trying to stab you, and it felt like I only made any progress when my Runic attacks were up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

This is literally like taking away the web slinging in Spider-Man, what the gently caress

Oh yeah they also took away the batman version of webswinging so it's not even as cool to get around the city. Robin's movement ability is literally a debug mode teleporter, it looks janky as gently caress

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Still trucking through God of War, and I still have no idea where the hype comes from. This is a decent game, sure, but it's a solid 85, with way too many weird and poorly-thought-out mechanics to get any higher.

I have never once gotten away from feeling like I'm on very strict rails. I got through Alfheim, and hey, the dwarfs gave me some sidequests, and Boy tells me like 3 times that maybe we should go exploring! Except that this game is terrified to let you think that it's an open world game, so even the "exploring" bits feel heavily linear. I can set out in the boat to explore a circular lake, but I can only get off the boat at a handful of explicit docks. And each dock is attached to what amounts to a small, isolated platform that doesn't lead anywhere else, so you light the torch and fight a handful of enemies and then go back to the boat because you've done all that's there. The two sidequests for the dwarfs were just small dungeons attached to a couple of the docks, so by the time I'd made a circle around the lake, I was now Done With Exploring and there was nothing else to do but proceed with the main quest.

Also the monster AI is just lacking. Essentially, the enemies don't care what the other enemies are doing, so you can literally have three elves swooping at you with their spears just a second or two apart. I fought two of the Revenants at one point, and they both ended up close together at one point, and it became unbelievably frustrating -- Boy would make one vulnerable with his arrows and then the other one would start sweeping waves of poison at me making it impossible to close in and attack the vulnerable one. The only way to fix that seemed to be to run in and try to get one of them to follow me somewhere else, so they weren't providing perfect cover for eachother anymore. Just felt very janky -- I know that even in Elden Ring, they sync the enemies AI to some degree so that sort of thing doesn't happen.

And the item shop. Good god. I don't know how they managed to make that many distinct options for buying and upgrading different items, and made every single choice somehow feel bad. And they love to tease you with the Upgrade Weapon option, but that's basically just a story gate, since it requires a unique item that's only come from progressing the campaign so far. So I've got like 10k experience saved up waiting, because I've only got a level 3 axe and I've bought literally every move I think I'd ever use from the first 3 tiers.

Agh sorry this is so long. I just played another long session last night and every time I touch this game I'm just baffled at some of the decisions they've made.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I finished Disco Elysium last night, what an incredible game. Truly one of the All-Timers. The writing and voice-direction are incredible. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to start it again.

Always love hearing people appreciating Disco Elysium. :) I played it on release and have been waiting to forget enough of it that I'd appreciate another playthrough, but every time I think about it, it still seems so memorable.

Also thought the phasmid ending was absolutely wonderful, to the point that I can't believe it's not required to complete the game. Just a perfect emotional capstone to everything the game's been trying to do.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You have to go to the island, but I don't think that whole phasmid sequence happens unless you do all the quests for the old couple (not spoilering that -- do the quests for the old couple, everyone!)

I'm also of the mind that the quests for the raver kids are likewise crucial to the story.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Fix posted:

I didn't play it at launch, but it sounds like a lot of things have been addressed. Still, all of those things are the exact problems I've had with it this month.

And mounts are generally bad.

Oh, and I really wish it had gyro aiming.

Horizon Forbidden West absolutely does have gyro aiming, and I thought it was absolutely transformative and elevated the game from an 8 to a 9 all by itself. The combat was the most fun I've had since playing RE4 with the Wiimote aiming, and I was loving crushed to find out their particular implementation of gyro aim wasn't standard for basically every game. I could never get used to the always-on gyro in Splatoon, but HFW just kicks it on when you aim down the sights which makes it perfect for dialing in your shot, and seems like the obvious implementation for any sort of shooter.

also

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

You all are crazy, that part of Endwalker (much like every part of Endwalker) ruled.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

More God of War chat: this game is hot garbage. Fighting the first valkyrie right now, and nope, this combat system is janky poo poo. I will beat this valkyrie when it decides to let me, and not one moment before. Sometimes it doesn't acknowledge that I've dodged so it can hit me anyway, sometimes it interrupts a combo with an unavoidable attack even though it should be stunned, sometimes it likes to hit me with the red stab when I'm well out of range. Just miserable to play. I have no idea how they put so much effort into every other part of the game and didn't bother to make their combat system work properly.

E: just got her to 1%, she hit me with the wing spin even though I clearly dodged, then comboed me into the red stab to kill me even though I clearly dodged that, too. Hot loving trash.

E2: k, finally killed it. No sense of accomplishment whatsoever, just got lucky it decided not to ignore my dodges and blocks this time. What a poo poo game goddamn.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 30, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

im sorry i was mad posting from my phone when i was sitting on the couch getting my rear end beat

But seriously, the combat is a big disappointment. I love the puzzling for whatever reason, it feels really satisfying to play, it looks great, the relationship with Kratos and Boy and now Mimir and Freya is great, and honestly the typical fights are a lot more fun now that I'm out of Alfheim. It just breaks down really hard on the more difficult encounters because it's just not nearly as tight as something like Elden Ring.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

it sounds like you’re just ignoring combat mechanics and blaming the game for essentially choosing to play with one hand tied behind your back

Nah, I think I'm using pretty much the whole kit. I worked out what I think was the "intended" way to fight -- because if you're not doing exactly what they intended, you can't win. It just feels bad. The dodge/roll only goes a short distance and doesn't have many invincibility frames and there's weird recovery time on the end, and there's not a lot of feedback to tell you what can be dodged versus what needs to be blocked. The Valkyrie seemed to need both in the same combo, which just felt fuckin weird. Like, in one of her swoopy combos I would dodge the first attack and then I guess there's no way to dodge the second attack reliably(?) because I had to block the second hit to get through that consistently without taking damage.

I dunno, Elden Ring was the last game that played anything like this, and it is almost painful going from one to the other. GoW just seems so much less smooth or intuitive, and a lot more rigid.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 31, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Like okay, I've been sailing around and I found another difficult optional fight against a Traveler that's a couple levels above me, and I was getting frustrated after my first couple tries on him, too. He just keeps on attacking, one red move after another, and I'm sitting there like "what the gently caress he just KEEPS GOING" and then I did figure it out. You get in this pattern of dodging his red move and attacking once and dodging again and attacking and making the boy shoot him with arrows and it's a pretty neat rhythm.

Except it's so loving rigid. The thrown axe bounces off of him, so you can't poke at him from a distance. The ice laser runic attack (MVP) literally doesn't affect him at all. The boy's light arrows don't stun him, so you never get in any free hits (except I guess when he targets the boy, but even that is perilous because he can change his mind and attack you at any moment.) There's literally no way to beat him if you're not doing exactly the combat rhythm they intended -- near-perfectly, because if you miss one of your mushy-feeling dodges then he hits like a truck. I won't say it wasn't a fun fight once I got the hang of it, I'm just not a fan of the design behind it.

Oxxidation posted:

the valkyrie's swoop-charge can be avoided by dodging twice.

this is a bold-faced lie, sir.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I like it that some people bashed their heads against it getting mad while I went lmao nice one I'm getting the gently caress out of here

people bashed their heads against it getting mad while trying to get the gently caress out of there lol

the first time you see the gross shrimp things fire homing lasers at you is a goddamn trip, let me tell you

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Fix posted:

Finished H:FW and man-oh-man my GOTY brain is really struggling here. Loved the hook for the next game. Can't wait. Gimme that DLC. Gimme the VR thing. More more more!

:hfive: It absolutely kills me that Elden Ring probably puts it out of contention this year. I absolutely loved the 40-50 hours I put into it and was consistently referring to it as a masterpiece ... and then I stopped thinking about it entirely so I could sink 150+ hours into Elden Ring over the next few months while it completely dominated my idle thoughts.

But now that it's been some time and I've played my fill of Elden Ring, I'm getting stoked for the DLC announcement. I would love another 10 or 20 hours of HFW and gyroscope bow and dinosaurs and cool sci-fi poo poo

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

A little late to the discussion, but what is so bad about PS Plus? I skipped most of last generation and I haven't had an XBox since the 360, so I don't really know what the competition is up to, but I was really happy with upgrading to the middle tier with all the games that came with it. There were a bunch of recent games that I would have ended up spending that money on anyway, and I also got to try some games that I probably wouldn't have spent the money on (or would have spent the money on and gotten bored with and felt bad).

What are we missing out on, exactly? Is it just the size of the library, or...?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Almost done with God of War 2018, just in time for the new one. Valkyrie fights continue to be disappointing, they just didn't design a combat system that can keep up with the things they want to do. The one I fought last night was especially irritating -- one of its common moves was to attack me and then swoop offscreen so I was constantly wrestling with the camera to avoid getting blindsided, and then after it got low on health it would just pull off red-flash moves with basically no warning. The worst was the grab, which can hit from anywhere in the room, takes off half your HP, and has like a half-second between the red flash and getting grabbed, so if you're not already in neutral position ready to roll, you just get hosed -- which essentially means you can't do anything but react to her without risking a huge hit. And there's the typical issue where sometimes your attacks will interrupt them, sometimes they won't, so you can't really tell whether it's safe to attack. And I constantly, constantly feel like I'm dodging attacks only to get hit with them anyway. Like, okay, I get it, there's a much smaller window of invulnerability than I'd like, but it just makes it feel bad to play.

I'm sorry I keep coming in here bitching, but it's especially frustrating because I really like this game! The usual fights -- even the ones against high level Travelers and Hel-Fuckers -- are really fun to play, and I'm really enjoying the exploration and puzzling, especially now that the lake's opened up and there's tons of hidden stuff everywhere. But the Valkyrie fights have been super disappointing. A few of them have been the fun, challenging fights that I'm looking for, but it feels like a lot of them are asking you to do things that the combat system just wasn't built for.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 5, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Finished GoW 2018 last night. Impressive game with flaws that are thrown into stark contrast with the level of polish on everything else. I got a bit of the same feel that I got from Cyberpunk -- a well-done game with a lot of heart and technical excellence, but still clinging to certain design decisions that weren't fleshed out well enough or just don't mesh well with the whole. Fun, chunky combat that makes you feel like a badass, but stuff like the cinematic camera stops it from being as tight as a FromSoft game. Very cool exploration and puzzle solving, but the "fast-travel" system is so slow that it's still an ordeal to backtrack to old locations to find what else you can unlock.

Were Niflheim and Muspelheim originally supposed to be DLC? They seemed kinda superfluous -- a series of arena battles with no real storyline, and then a half-assed "roguelike" with a single map to grind out chests. They don't seem like an organic part of the game -- my impression was that the devs got nervous near the end of the dev cycle, when they realized they'd done this whole thing with realm travel but most of the destinations on the realm transfer thingie were unavailable, so they churned out a couple quick detatched "realms" so we wouldn't feel like the whole game was just Midgard and Alfheim. It was kind of a letdown to find out the best armor and two of the valkyries were behind them, but I guess you can get through the game perfectly well using gear that maxes out at 5 or 6.

I do have to give them a lot of credit, though, for letting the game end on a poignant, emotional note with Kratos and Boy finally scattering his mother's ashes from the mountain. I thought for sure we'd end up having Odin come after us so they could jam in a huge boss battle spectacle at the very end, and I'm impressed they managed to restrain themselves. Baldur was kind of a weak antagonist, just this lanky white trash cocksucker who you'd never think could be a real threat to Kratos. But for the story they were telling, they didn't need a big superpowered shadow of darkness to fight, so it was somewhat appropriate for the "boss" to be this loser with mommy issues to contrast Kratos and Boy's relationship. Great game -- I'd love to call it an A+ just based on story and gamefeel, but it's more like a very solid 85 when all the issues are taken into account.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 7, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

The only thing soulsbrains hate more than someone saying souls games aren’t the best thing ever is someone telling them they’re playing souls games wrong

At least the one thing that we can all agree on is that if you used multiplayer or NPC summons to beat the boss, it doesn't count as real dark souls and you're no better than a noob.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

well, thanks for all the replies.

unfortunately they do not sound like my thing. i've also seen a lot of talk about how difficult the gameplay is. like you need to be quite skilled at timing and figuring out the right combinations and stuff. and...i am just not very good at that part. it's why i mostly stick to games that live and die by their narrative. so yea, these may not be for me.

oh well. plenty of other games out there. thanks, again.

For what it's worth, if you have the disposable income I'd try out Elden Ring regardless. I had basically the same feelings as you about the Souls games and I was cheerfully playing Horizon when Elden Ring came out... but my cousin was really into it and I figured what the hell, I'll try it and I'll just stop playing when I get bored or it gets too hard. Then I played 150 hours in my first playthrough and got 2/3 of the way through a second 40 hour playthrough before I finally put it down.

Then I played Demon's Souls next because I was really into this From poo poo now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Agreed. There's just something incredible about the Demon's Souls world that the others don't really match. Like, they're all interesting, but mostly feel like extensions of the first and second world of DeS. But stepping out on the towers of Latria and seeing the darkness swirling around while gargoyles swoop in the distance, or fighting an enormous flying manta ray but shooting shockwaves from a blade, taking on an enormous punching dragon god (which mechanically isn't terribly involved but having this boss be more of a enormous setpiece puzzle instead of a simple fight was really cool), there was just something about each world that the lack of interconnectivity allowed for that the other games don't.

Being the first in the series also meant they could get weird with stuff before the 'tropes' of the series were codified.

I haven't played any FromSoft games besides Elden Ring and Demon's Souls, but it was startling jumping from one to the other -- Elden Ring is the most open-ended, free-form version of the combat system, but Demon's Souls was immediately recognizable as the same combat system, except distilled down to the bare bones, with none of the flourishes and flexibility that they added with each iteration. Elden Ring has one of the biggest, most content-packed open worlds I've ever seen, and Demon's Souls has very rigid, disconnected zones that you can't travel between without using a teleporter.

Except that even if it wasn't as "actiony" as Elden Ring, their very first take at the Souls combat system was amazingly well-done and complex, and FromSoft was fantastic at this type of level design even back then, so rather than exploring a world with a large amount of open space, you're ALWAYS mapping out these tight, well-polished FromSoft levels with all their secrets and shortcuts. They got SO MUCH right that the game still holds up 12 years later, and it's got a certain old-school charm and experimentation that you just won't get from Game #X in a series.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

sounds like you're saying we should get an elden ring tv show too then yea?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Still waiting on my copy to get here, which is fine because I have to at least pretend to work today.

Have been playing Lego Harry Potter Year 5 for the last couple nights just as a light palate cleanser between Gods of War, and...I'm kinda sorry God of War is going to take me away from it? Maybe I'll go back and play more of it afterwards. I think I messed with the Lego DC game that was on PS+ last year and thought it was too kiddie and pointless, but it's been kinda fun roaming around Hogwarts solving puzzles. Very chill little distraction of a game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Does this one have more of a typical Save the World from a Bad Guy kinda plot? It was a little offputting that the whole "story" for GoW 2018 was just Kratos and Boy trying to get to the tallest mountain to spread his mother's ashes. I wouldn't list it as a negative -- it was a very good character piece and I enjoyed the worldbuilding and father-son bonding -- but it'd be cool if Kratos has a little more direction this time.

e: it's here!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I kind of loved that it was just a personal task that got embroiled in god bullshit. Really underscored just how little Kratos wanted to be doing all this again, dude has no desire to murder anyone with flame swords, just wants to see to his family and go home.

I did too! At least after I adjusted to the idea that it was going to be the whole game -- for the first dozen or so hours I kept expecting the thing with Baldur to blow up into a big world-ending conspiracy or something. But we've already done the slice of life sorta game, I'd like some more directed godslaying and worldsaving this time.

Arist posted:

My Wad of Snore is here, hooray

Mine too. And I work from home, so I could pretty much get away with just escaping to the couch a little early, except I'm waiting on this one stupid rear end in a top hat. All I need to do is click a button, but I need this rear end in a top hat to give me the go-ahead, and he's replied three times since Monday morning to slowly ask me stupid, irrelevant questions via email, and today sent me two sentences asking for the same dumb thing he wanted on Monday as if I hadn't painstakingly explained everything to him over the course of four different emails. So I'm sitting here playing with the internet waiting on this moron to say "yes ok hit butan."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So first off I don't think Fimbulwinter is real. Sure, it's a little colder than usual but it always gets cold this time of year. And certainly if there's SOME Fimbulwinter it's not because we killed Baldur, it's just a natural cycle. I think you'll find, if you do your research, that there's no provable link between Baldur's death and Fimbulwinter, and further, you have to look at who profits from the Fimbulwinter hoax. I can link you all some websites that go into further detail if you'd like

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I have the opposite problem with this, where he'll say a hint and I will still be completely in the dark what I'm supposed to do and then he won't say anything else.

I feel like it's the worst of both worlds, where it feels like any time I spend 5 seconds looking at the new area, Mimir or Boy will be all "hey dingus, it's over here", but then I just spent five minutes staring at this waterwheel thing trying to figure it out and they just sit there silently.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have two separate powerline setups in the house running to the consoles/NAS/HTPC on a switch in the livingroom and the other to a switch for our work computers in the home office, and they’re both absolutely rock solid under whatever loads we throw at them.

Sounds like you just had bad equipment or old wiring maybe :shrug:

I tried them out in this old house I was renting shortly after college, and it was mostly fine except that whenever anyone ran the washer or dryer, you'd get so much static on the line no one could use the internet.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Actually the stage/chapter names for the Dead Space remake got leaked:
code:
1.  Planetary Excavation 
2.  Isaac, Get Your Gun
3.  Separation Anxiety 
4.  poo poo!!
5.  5 Below
6.  Necromorph Requiem 
7.  Ontological Crisis 
8.  Great, More Bad Guys
9.  Assimilation 
10. Maybe This Time
11. Elementary 
12. So That Just Happened 

:golfclap:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Just spoil God of War Ragnarok's mechanics. Are those chisel doors back? Do you have to play for 6 hours before you can use the Winds of Hel again? What are these things that you people are passing by that they can't activate?

So far I've found one chisel door and Kratos opened it without making me go through a mini game but it made my sound bug out so I had to restart and there was only a chest behind it (related??). I dunno if the Winds of Hel are back but I've already passed by at least two different kinds of puzzle thing that I've played for several more hours and havent gotten the powers to activate them yet.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

SilkyP posted:

I’m kind of tempted to watch a play through of dad of war 2018 so I can blow 70 bucks on the new hotness. This thread is making me thirsty for a new piss 5 game. Tactics ogre looks great too I just wish I had a steam deck since it seems like a perfect play in bed game

honestly you should just play 2018 on PS+ for free if you want to get in on this. I'm ten or so hours into Ragnarok and it's been great but so far it just feels like 2018 with slightly fancier paint.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

And then for some godforsaken reason they made quick-turn block + d-pad down. Went and changed that to the much more sane alternate option of click L3, because what the gently caress.

Yeah, it's super unintuitive to hit in the middle of combat now, and there isn't an option to put quickturn back on d-pad down for some reason. I dunno, I never fight barehanded without throwing my axe first anyway.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Is there a point for most people where Elden Ring starts to click and you feel confident in what you’re doing? The only From game I’ve played before is Dark Souls, but I didn’t get very far in that game because one of my buddies told me it’s not worth playing without a Wiki open to tell you what to do.

I’m about 17 hours into Elden Ring and I’m really digging the freedom of exploration and gameplay, but I have no idea what I’m doing in terms of equipment, weapons, or leveling up abilities. I started with a Warrior class because it looked beginner friendly, and so far I’ve been focusing on Vigor, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity. I think I want to start experimenting with magic, and it seems that Intelligence is the way to go based on the spells that look interesting to me at the shops. Is the game ever going to explain any of this or do I need to start digging into Wikis and build guides?

I do know that it’s possible to respec but I haven’t gotten that far yet, so I’m not too worried about screwing up.

There is a dedicated Elden Ring thread where people are usually very happy to go over newbie questions, so feel free to drop by there. In short, though: You want more Vigor than you think you do, at least 50 by endgame, and stats don't make that much difference to your damage output until your weapons are higher level, so you probably want to focus on getting at least 30 Vigor early on. Just get enough Strength and Dex to meet weapon requirements until things do start to click for you and you figure out what you want to be doing.

And people use your Bloodhound's Fang all the way through the game if you're in love with it. As long as they're leveled up, almost any weapon in the game will generally do a reasonable amount of damage. People generally choose one based on how much they like the moveset or the unique weapon arts attached to them, and how well they scale with the stats they're focused on. You only have to do some real Googling if you're trying to min-max -- there's no other way to find out that the Lordsworn Straight Sword only goes up to B Faith scaling but the Longsword goes up to A, for instance, but the Lordsworn Straight Sword is just fine regardless.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Feels like they just plain don't work sometimes, either. Like I have a giant pink globe near the torch and clearly, clearly this globe that I'm igniting intersects with it, but nope, gently caress you, not lighting it. Gave up and looked up the solution to one Nornir chest that was bugging me, and I was actually doing the correct thing, they just wouldn't accept it unless my arrows were pixel perfect. Even after pausing the video showing where the arrows should be, it still took me two tries to get it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

And then there's Sushi Ghost, which will somehow pause your game indefinitely in the middle of a cutscene, so that I started it up, watched two minutes of the opening movie and decided I didn't want to play it, and then I come back a month later and it boots up into halfway through the opening movie again.

Also annoyed me a couple times when I went the wrong (right) way and triggered a cutscene, and I immediately turned off the game so I could go back and explore the other path first, and it kept loading up right into the drat cutscene again.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

goddamn Vanaheim is some god tier level design. SMS really learned a thing or two from the Souls games, and the hunts are some dope fights

You think so? I am not a fan at all. Spent a while there last night (lategame)after you rescue Freyr, and found it intensely frustrating to try to navigate the northern areas. I was following a specific sidequest saving Burgir(?), the guy that jumped off the flying boat to attack the dragons, but there are always chests and stuff that you can see but not get to, and the paths around there are super confusing. I ended up stuck in the jungle for fifteen minutes trying to find a way out. I dunno if I was missing something or it was just one way pathing, but I ended up having to spend another hour there exploring and doing the other sidequest I found there when I was just desperate to get the gently caress out and return to the sidequest I actually wanted to finish.

Also ran into my first serious bug around here. For that sidequest I was on, there's a dragon that flies around breathing fire at you, and you eventually run it to ground where Burgir is being held, then you're supposed to shimmy through a gap and you get a short cutscene before it attacks you. First time was fine, but I hosed up the timings and died, and then every other time I shimmied through the gap, no cutscene, no attack, it just sits there going through its idle animations. Restarting the game didn't help, reloading the save didn't help. I ended up having to go back through the autosave list and thankfully the second-oldest save was from before I'd originally seen the cutscene and the scripting fired properly this time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I've been playing Pentiment on Game Pass recently. That game is really cool.

Is it supposed to be pretty short? It's getting pretty good (but mixed) reviews. Was looking at that for after Ragnarok here, that or Tactics Ogre which I heard had those old-school 60+ hour playtimes. I fuckin love my Obsidian stuff usually but Pentiment seems like a pretty radical departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Pentiment sounds intriguing as hell but I don’t like the art style at all

Me neither but they committed to it pretty hard and if nothing else it's different, and it's Obsidian who I trust to have an interesting story in mind if they chose such a unique theme.