Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I never finished DR1 because the AI for the survivors was as dumb as a box of rocks

In DR2 and beyond they fixed it, thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

:whatup: new thread

I'm still playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas The Definitive Edition on my Sony PlayStation 5. Honestly, the remaster has been totally fine for the most part. I'm playing on Performance mode and the 60fps is inconsistent but usually sticks to that target. I haven't experienced any real bugs at all, which is shocking since weren't there a lot of those on release? They must have fixed a ton of those in patches. There are a few missions I really haven't enjoyed at all, like one I played last night where you have to fly a plane under a radar limit halfway across the map and the plane felt like it controlled like poo poo, but that's not the remaster's fault. That's 18 year old game design for you.

Anyway, if you have an itch to play through San Andreas again, this is a pretty solid way to do that! It's still a mostly great game in 2022 with a lot of fun moments, and as far as open world crime games go, I'm glad I'm playing this and not the new Saints Row, which seems like a buggy mess that lacks the personality of previous Saints Row games.
San Andreas has a few missions that had lovely controls that were all flying-related

The San Fierro toy plane missions being the most infamous

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes I'm currently playing some shorter games on my Steam backlog until Ragnarok comes out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I hope Arkane doesn't move too much into multiplayer stuff after Redfall. They have made consistently good to great FPS games for the last decade plus now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It was definitely the least favorite of the recent Arkane games for me

I think the order is Prey, Dishonored 1, Dishonored 2, then Deathloop

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I thought I was the only one, Bioshock 2 gang rise up.
I just finished re-playing through this the other day and it still holds up

I will say that the enemy splicer gun accuracy is a bit ridiculous even on medium though. They can chew through your health stupidly fast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah I finished the campaign yesterday and it's crazy how it only feels like I've done a fraction of the game.
I was wondering about that because I am like 13 hours in and I haven’t gotten a lot of the items that would let me unlock new areas. This game is massive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

these wulver executions are loving brutal
They are, but that animation is the same from the last game I think

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember in GoW2018 my biggest complaint was that Kratos moved like a truck and made the faster bosses a pain in the rear end. They definitely made him feel more mobile this go-around.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ok I really hate the Maven fight in Ragnarok.

If you gently caress up your timing with parrying the sword throw, you’re basically not going to win the fight. The other huge problem is that you have to change distances often with this fight, but that’s a pain because she varies her attacks constantly with going from stuff you need to dodge on with the sword charge, to the other attack where she does the AOE attack and because of the size of the arena, if you aren’t close enough to do the shield stun you are going to take a bunch of damage.

I spent like 45 mins on that fight before I gave up and reloaded an earlier save to do something else

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Costco Meatballs posted:

Playing GOW on hard mode is such a weird balance - when I am doing well I feel like I would never want to play any easier as it would be a sleepwalk, but then you'll get random encounters that just kick your rear end if you don't go about them pretty much perfectly.
It took me like 2 hours plus to beat that last Valkyrie and I was playing on medium on GoW2018. I am on the balanced playthrough for Ragnarok, and yeah, if you’re loving around too much you will get killed real quick. I have always had a hard time with Wulvers in 2018 and also this game. They hit really loving hard, and at least in Ragnarok some of them can force you into a QTE

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

that NORCO game looks interesting in a kentucky route zero kind of way but then i remember my stalled out fascist disco elysium 2nd run and think maybe it can wait
I watched an LP of it and it’s like Disco Elysium on acid

My issue is that the story kind of ends very quickly and there isn’t really any denouement, the credits just roll.

It’s still a good story but it has issues.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

To be honest I'm more surprised that Dead Island 2 is coming out at all after it went MIA for years

I'm not really sure what it brings to the table now that the Dying Light series is a thing (which I guess isn't surprising because I believe some of the people responsible for DI went on to make Dying Light)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CP2077 is fine, I wouldn't call it amazing, but it does have good moments. I paid $50 for it on PC a couple of months after release and I got my money's worth out of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bows1 posted:

Finished GoW:R. Very good game, wouldnt call it great. Elden Ring GOTY still, but definitely worth a play.

82/100
Ragnarok has a way better story than ER

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I got Midnight Suns for Christmas, that should tide me over for awhile

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Because it’s a masterpiece

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I ended up enjoying it more than I would have thought

My only complaint is that the plot is purestrain Kojima, which is both good and bad. The ending definitely goes on too long (specifically a sequence during the credits).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well it must have sold well enough if he got to make a sequel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fix posted:

God help me, Marvel Snap.
I was going to post this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Square-Enix is doubling-down on the crypto bullshit and saying the kinds of things that gamblers say when they think they can make back all of that money they lost with one last roll

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1609883123562549250?s=20&t=noMeP5W7oSej2N2-R2dH5Q

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Embracer Group own CD and all the western SE IPs they sold off. They just announced a new Tomb Raider game published by... Amazon??
also they are actually working on a new Deus Ex game, which is nice to hear after SE abruptly smothered the last trilogy and didn't finish it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The hardest thing for me, as someone who had not played a Souls game before ER, is the weird timing of the dodges. That delay is unlike any other game I've played. It's especially weird compared to something like the last two GoW games where there is almost no delay at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The optional end boss fights in GoW and GoW:R were all harder than any of the ER fights by a significant margin (for me)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Midnight Suns is absolutely fantastic! It’s so good that I bought it on Steam and PSN.

Hope you enjoy it!
I bought the Deadpool DLC today and that was fun, the ending of it sets up what I assume is a story that will go through all of the DLC

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

It recreated the model t experience and little tooo closely.

Was that the one with the horseshit race level that had to be patched or was that Mafia 2?
No it's Mafia 1, and I can tell you as someone that played the remaster on PC I still had a hell of a time with that race level. You basically can't gently caress up, even on lower difficulties.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sammus posted:

That sounds like I remember, although maybe it was 2 that I played. Either way, it was exactly as you described. A giant, beautifully detailed open world, designed with realism in mind so you had to follow speed limits and generally not be an rear end.

And any time you tried to explore it outside of a mission the game would flip out on you.
The Remake adds more open world stuff and other challenges/collectibles to make it less empty.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sammus posted:

As I recall, there was a bit of a scandal because a lot of that stuff was supposedly stripped from the base game to be released as paid DLC. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I do remember that the game very strongly favored realism over fun when you weren’t on missions.

it’s a prime example of open worlds gone wrong.
I know that Mafia 2 had a bunch of the open world stuff stripped out of the original game to be sold as DLC. You are probably thinking of that because the original Mafia was before DLC was a thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sammus posted:

I must’ve skipped the first one and just played Mafia 2 then.

So the first one’s open world is just as bad??? What about the 3rd?
So the original Mafia (not the remake) had a little bit of extra content that was separate from the main story. You couldn't do a lot in the open world of the main story except a game-spanning group of sidequests where one character sends you to steal certain cars for him.

The remake has more open-world collecting and such, as well as some challenge missions. I didn't really mess with that too much when I played it.

The third game has a LOT more open-world stuff, because the gist of the game is that you are taking on these various gangs kind of like a GTA game and slowly taking their territory through side missions. Most people thought it was excessive and repetitive. I thought it was OK but it definitely could have been reduced. The main story of 3 is very strong. I think 2 has the weakest story of all of them because the main character is a piece of poo poo the entire time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not entirely surprised this happened

December is not the greatest time to release a big game anyway

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1622707723480563721?s=20&t=2aN1l1s5MUCd26fBLuX7Kw

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I felt like they were pretty good about marketing it, but it's also a more niche type of game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

JBP posted:

There was a bad one at launch with the ops table but they fixed it. Never encountered anything other than the odd visual thing beside that.
For some reason I keep having this glitch where there is a flickering pixel next to Caretaker's right eye, it's funny

The other big one I can think of is upon defeating Crossbones in a mission where I slammed him into a wall, he T posed on me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Harlock posted:

Suicide Squad is depressing considering the Batman Arkham games are so good.
Yeah...it pisses me off that good single-player studios like Rocksteady and also Arkane are getting pushed into doing live service trash that anyone could really do

But I appreciate them showing me this early that I don't need to bother with this SS game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Diabetic posted:

I just must be getting old. None of that state of play remotely had me interested and the only title I still care about for PS5 is a remake of a PS3 game.

Suicide Squad looked like it will just make you keep wishing for an Arkham style Superman game you'll never get, meanwhile Avengers is dying while Suicide Squad is gonna kill itself from the start.
I am just confused why this game is like this, when wasn't Arkham Knights essentially the same deal? And they are going to have released within like 9 months of each other?

I do remember after Arkham Knight came out that the rumor was they were working on some Golden Age Justice League game, but I imagine that didn't get very far into development

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

But this doesn't tell me whether Cyberpunk 2077 is a good game or not. I need to know.
It’s good OP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Playing Elden Ring I couldn't get Malenia under 70% on her second form so I hosed off back to the snow and ended up killing Astel Dark Star (bug man with a skull head), Fire Giant (looked like the Muppets' Ghost of Christmas Present), Godskin duo (my Volcano Manor friend, mimic and sleepy bombs did most of the work) and multiple annoying dragons in short order before getting stuck on one of those horse sentinel guys and dying a dozen times. I think I'm near the end? Maybe? I never saw Ranni again and straight-up forgot to go look for Dung Eater in the sewer. D also just turned up dead at some point so I either missed his quest entirely or him saying "hey go talk to my boss the beast cleric" was his quest lol

I also dabbled in the complete opposite of ER, Yakuza 5, which is chock full of meaty plot but absolutely atrocious combat during the baseball player part. In half an hour I've started multiple baseball-related rivalries and helped multiple friendly prostitutes, A+
Dung Eater is a thing for an optional ending, it’s really more about whether you want a certain ending or not

For Ranni you have to go into the underground rivers later in her quest

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ragnarok is amazing, I don’t know what’s happening in this thread

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

JBP posted:

What's amazing about it? The combat feels worse like some of the weight had been removed. The plot isn't very interesting overall. It's incredibly saccharine. A lot of the content is for the sake of having content.

Like I had fun playing through it but I normally replay games. Replaying Ragnarok seems like more of a chore than a pleasure.
I thought the combat was way better. It's essentially a bigger, more improved version of GOW2018 which is the right way to do it. I appreciate that they also didn't try and stretch the story out to a 3rd game and just ended it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

posting my dualsense edge to prove to the assholes itt who dont believe me

I actually owned one of those back in the day until my brother broke it