Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I particularly enjoyed Diamond Dust and Megaflare. Megaflare in particular is just - there's something very satisfying about Clive going BLAARGH and literally just melting HP bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I bought my PS5 to play Final Fantasy XVI on release and I am extremely happy with that decision. It also meant I just got to play Alan Wake II which is I think definitely my favourite game of the year. It's aesthetically lovely but I think it also has interesting things to say at its core about art and the danger of solipistic artistry, that develop where the original game reached. Anyone else played it yet?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the ashtray maze was aping the concert stage shootout from the first alan wake. AW is the OG

Everyone is talking about We Sing but the Dark Ocean Summoning is the real power hour in my view. That one is much more like that bit from the original too. I like that they did both.

I think on some level We Sing is kinda showboating for the punters though. The lyrics really hit different after finishing the game though!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

haveblue posted:

I'm on chapter 7 (I think? It's hard to tell for reasons) and I'm very happy with the role the Control universe is playing so far

Also I want to go play Control again now

You can't really count the chapters after a certain point and also their length is, well, inconsistent. So they are really more of a vibe.

I'm excited for the FBC-focused second DLC.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

fridge corn posted:

If you have any affinity in your heart at all, even the faintest glimmer of appreciation for 90s PS1 rpg from Japan 2d pixel characters on 3d backgrounds aesthetic, then playing Star Ocean the Second Story R will send you directly to the eternal bliss of our Lords kingdom in heaven

This sounds real good.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I actually enjoyed the subway but I agree that that first scene is the worst part.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

haveblue posted:

Alan Wake 2 down. Early on I thought this was going to be one of the best games of the year, but by the end the obnoxious combat really pulled down the whole experience. It's the very rare game that would have been better off as a walking simulator

I put it on Story difficulty for the last section, yeah. I'm really not sure what the Nightmare difficulty is even going to be like...

For me I think it's still my favourite game of the year but Remedy remain masters of narrative and experience who are so-so at mechanical combat, I think.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Captain Hotbutt posted:

It's me, the one person who still liked Zero Punctuation. :shrug:

I won't be apologizing but maybe I should.

I still occasionally watched it out of a weird nostalgia but his style had literally not moved on since I was literally 14 and I've been in like four careers and transitioned since then, like, come on dude. BUT: I like him I guess and I hope whatever is next is good.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

acksplode posted:

I started avoiding Zero Punctuation when one of the videos left me with the impression that Yahtzee was playing up his negative impressions of a game just so he could be caustic about it. I don't recall the game or any particulars because that was like, thirteen years ago? Christ :kstare:

And he kept doing that for 13 years and you know, I guess got a living out of it, so are we not really the fools?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Only for a certain sort (it's me I'm sort) but FFXIV drops its new expansion next year. That's probably the release I'm looking most forward to? But it's nothing like this bumper crop certainly.

I wonder if a lot of it is studios managing to bring to market products that were delayed due to Covid? So just a lot of pent up in development stuff coming to fruition?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I'm currently playing the Alan Wake II NG+. I legitimately love that they appear to have dropped the actual ending for the game a month later after we've all had time to go insane over the initial one.

I don't normally go in for NG+ modes but the extra story content and context is making it worthwhile. You should play this game! It's good! I love Remedy's creativity and care even if they realistically aren't very good at "making a nice-feeling action game".

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Bits and pieces but I understand the ending is completely different. Hints towards Alan's apotheosis. I've only done up to the first Parliament Tower chapter but in that Alice leaves a sign in the lift that she's actively observing and interacting with the spiral in a way that was less apparent last time. I also am finding that the experience of doing stuff again is giving a cool perspective on its own because e.g. I already know how everything fits together, so it makes a lot of the early investigation and the clues you get really hit different.

If you're looking for a challenge of course there is also Nightmare difficulty in the game now.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I assume I played FF16 on 30FPS, it was ... fine! I'm sorry for all of you who have tasted the 60 FPS forbidden fruit but happily my brain works too slowly to notice.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I get emotionally attached to creative work I do for no free in my spare time for someone else to make profit off, so I can't see why "this is most of my life" would make me care less.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Fix posted:

I almost don't want to ask. Did they have to pay money to do the musical number at the game awards? Oh man, they did, didn't they?

Oh no I hope not.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I don't really get the physical only thing. It seems like nowadays games mostly run off the hard disk anyway? And if they wanted to turn off your access or stop you playing it (very real disks with digital stuff), they could. So, genuinely without any desire to cause a fight, I would be interested in why people take that hard-line position. I bought a PS5 with the disk drive and I kinda regret it because I've just never had cause to use it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah, I have to say I haven't played loads of WRPGs because their storytelling often isn't for me. I guess Disco Elysium is probably an example of one that really landed for me?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

do i still have time to post goty lists or have i hosed it

goty for 2024? seems a bit early to call it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

what if you played the best game ever or the credits rolled on the best movie ever at 11:59 on december 31????? huh??? you never thought about that huh

did this happen to you

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I wish people wouldn't conflate "the output of AI is bad" and "AI data models are often produced in unethical ways". Both of these things are often true but I'm not sure they're related at all. I do think maybe if you pirate happily I don't understand why you're so cut up about the latter, but the unethical sourcing of the training data for a lot of popular LLMs really bothers me! Really think a lot of artists and writers are owed some recompense from the vampires trying to make a few quid off them. Personally I am more sanguine about the technology than many here are but I'm not a defender of the rights of the greedy to steal from the artful.

On the quality issue: I am fairly sceptical about the use of text-based chat-style AIs in games, because in my experience putting enough guard rails on it so that it can't go completely off the wall also makes it substantially less interesting to interact with. You can see this with ChatGPT: the base GPT 3 model from which ChatGPT is refined is more interesting in my view, but harder to talk to. ChatGPT is much easier to talk to but the more they lock it down to stop people loving with it, the more it sounds like a tedious customer service representative - and very repetitive. It's just an issue with the technology.

I also think that games programming is probably not going to massively benefit from AI, at least at the bleeding edge where you're trying to squeeze out every optimisation. It is really really great at boilerplate though, so that's nice. I think art and sound stuff has some potential, especially sound stuff - like, voice actors are always going to be better for now, but you really can get incredible results from voice synthesisation and it's easy to see how this could enable games that simply couldn't afford to add voice work to add some of it in. It's still important that whoever you're training the model off is getting fair compensation for that, though.

The final reason why I think AI is going to have issues taking off? See this thread. It's now become a non-neutral politicised technology - not without reason - and why bother with the hassle and boycotts that will surely ensue?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

stev posted:

Who's voicing all this AI generated dialogue anyway? Is there an original VO who provides the base voice samples? Are they getting paid for the potentially infinite lines of voiced dialogue they're generating?

Depends I think. The models I've seen, you train it on voice samples - that's how they do those goofy meme videos of Obama and Trump chatting about gaming or whatever. So it's not that there's an original VO who is the base for all the models - I think you do different samples for each target - though presumably the underlying model generation is trained on something, I don't know how that works though. You're absolutely right that a recording artist should be charging a pretty heavy price for the use of their voice in this way - with I would say, a clear need for royalties due, and I would imagine a lot of companies are going to try and stiff artists out of a fair payday with contact shittery and the like. Still - for a voice artist, potentially it's a way to extend their income because they can't work an indefinite amount IRL without damaging their voice, so you could see that kind of AI work would work well. I know people who have done that. But really this is quite far from the generative AI stuff we were first talking about, in the sense that humans are still writing it and so forth - you're losing the nuance of the vocal performance though.

lines fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 3, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I am really confused by this notion of dying in Disco Elysium being a definitive ending. If you're saving regularly, even to one slot, you can just reload if you die? I don't mean in a savescumming way but I'm pretty sure they did not intend death to be a "well, guess I'll replay from start" experience

lines
Aug 18, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Can you save in such a way that you’re hosed no matter what, or is it all percentile rolls you could just reload indefinitely until you pass whatever the check is?

There's a bad ending you can get if you don't somewhat sort your money issues within a day or two. I guess you could save too late to fix that.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Called it.

This is like one of the only times in the game the game really doesn't let you get away with your poo poo by any means. The only other major issue is a soft lock you can get by repeatedly failing at a certain skill check involving a building and/or a ladder and I don't think that one is as intentional.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

i think i was typing as you sent your reply right before my post but yeah you nailed it.

the game should be more insistent that you stop loving around and not let you get to that state, but also i might have still ignored it anyway?

but not if some fourth wall breaking but still thematically relevant inner voice was like "hey fat drunk stupid rear end, you should really find a way to save some money soon or it might be bad"

It is a bit "I don't know what I expected". It got me too!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Posting about how every platformer is a ripoff of Mario until I get tuckered out and it's time for my juice and a nap.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

pumped up for school posted:

I realized I'm bored of FF16. Just not for me. But I'm very bad at finishing games and I feel like I'm reasonably close. Yes admittedly very sunk-cost...

Home screen card says 75%. I'd been playing in the desert and killed Kupka / Titan. Any guesses how much more time if I skip hunts and side quests?

I enjoyed it but I would eject now if you aren't at that point after that bit of the game, which was the highlight for me.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Aipsh posted:

https://corporate.pokemon.co.jp/media/news/detail/335.html

Now this is podracing. Nintendo’s initial response to the Palworld saga

Is The Pokémon Company a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo then?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No dog in this fight, but I'm prepared to remain entertained by a deathmatch that either allows Pokemon to be destroyed forever or, god willing, Nintendo corporation to nuke AI. Bonus points for mutually assured destruction.

It seems deeply, deeply unclear if the game uses AI. To be clear I haven't played it and I don't really intend to - but the reporting on it suggests that it might in fact be a hand-crafted blatant ripoff.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah someone posted a comparison between the in game models of a couple of dog-shaped things from both games and the actual bodily proportions of the models beneath all the extraneous guff like wings and giant anime swooshy bits were 1:1 identical.

They definitely filed off a couple of serial numbers along the way whatever the story is.

Right, which I think you'd only get from an actual manual rip. Not that I'm aware of any AI that can do 3D modelling either yet, though it seems like it could exist in theory.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Briefly thought I was in the Final Fantasy thread because someone was relitigating FF8 again.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Buncha goons talking about the best way to spend 10 bux. We can all see we don't make responsible choices in that regard.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I should probably go and play more Bloodborne, shouldn't I?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I was always a Nintendo person growing up, though I had a PS and PS1 second-hand. Real glad I got the PS5 though, been very happy with it, nice piece of kit. Sad that the XBox is struggling so! MS unfortunately is just a quite dysfunctional company. Their research division is the same - they do some great stuff and then they get utterly hosed by priorities shifting and everything goes wrong.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Never speak to me or my child Dragoon Stark Master Chief ever again.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I want to play Final Fantasy on my machine for playing Final Fantasy. I guess other games exist.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I just go with Zen every time. They're slightly more expensive than the cheapest ISP option but they make up for it by being extremely competent.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The degree to which Umbrella is evil is really very impressive. Just a real commitment to being fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Dewgy posted:

After playing RE7 and RE8 way more times than is probably healthy, I get the impression Ethan knew poo poo was fucky even before he got to Louisiana.

Dude seems more exasperated than scared most of the time, which would make sense if you lived in the RE universe and didn’t have your head stuck in a hole in the ground.

Just imagining someone who lives in the RE universe and who reads a lot of stuff online and is familiar with all the bioweapon crap, and one day gets stuck in an Incident. "Oh gently caress, I'm in a bioweapons incident? drat, I had poo poo to do today, now I'm going to die horribly or grow eight extra arms or whatever."