Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

AcidCat posted:

So 30 hours in I feel like I can render a verdict on Dragons Dogma (2). Whoever made this game and the first one, his dad must be the boss of Capcom or some poo poo, and everyone on the decision board is gaslit that this guy is fit to direct a game. Sure he's got some ideas that players are hungry for, like an open world where fast travel doesnt trivialize its scope, emergent and unpredictable bits in said world that can surprise you, and quests that leave some room to figure things out. But come on dude built a game that has an absolute void of story or motivation to do all this. There are no actual characters in this game, the pc is a mute cipher, his companions literal drones that you gear up and choose powers for and sure theres a very basic vidjagame fun in that, but thats it. This game is like an alcoholic drink that you power down because you really need that buzz even though it honestly tastes like poo poo.
The game appears to be a big sales hit so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The combat really shines in the boss rush mode when you have a lot more abilities unlocked. I wasn't really feeling it until that point. Think the expanded parry and dodge window should have just been the default.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

triple sulk posted:

It kinda plays like a PS3 game and the combat feels a little janky to me. I don't think I'll buy it at full price unless the reviews are stellar (pun intended) but I'm sure it'll probably $40 or less in a couple months either way.

Do first party Sony games get a large discount quickly normally? I'm normally a PC gamer and only got a PS5 recently, so I have no idea about these things. Based on what I saw elsewhere, it seems to be doing really well with preorders.

Quote I found was

"Looking on global PSN preorders a version of Stellar Blade is :

#1 in 59 countries.
#2 in 29 countries.
#3 in 10 countries.

Digital Deluxe is by far the most popular SKU."

And it is the number one selling PS5 game on Amazon US at least. Princess Peach Showtime is the only game above it overall.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

JBP posted:

It seems to already be discounted in the UK. Most games go to bargain mode fairly quickly at retail. FF16 did and Rebirth is currently discounted in Australia.

I think they're technically a second party Dev that's been paid to make a game, which might be a point of difference on how pricing goes down the road idk.

Yeah, I guess I am just not used to buying discs.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Amazon US has Unicorn Overlord PS5 on sale for 40 bones, so guess I am playing that until Stellar Blade comes out. If I play the demo I can still swap to a disc copy and continue my progress, right?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I said come in! posted:

Who was it that used the PlayStation 3 for military stuff?

The United States.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

They would be stupid not to. It would take close to zero dev resources, and probably sell okay.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Would have loved an enhanced edition to polish up some parts of that game that need it, I get it though.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Witcher 1 I remember being amazed with at launch both by how good it was, and how incredibly busted it was and I had to drop the game when my save was bugged. The EE cleaned it up pretty well at least. Witcher 2 had a ton of hype leading up to it not just because of the merits of that game, but also off the back of how good 1 was. Just the market for Eurojank PC exclusive RPG’s was a lot more niche than something with broad appeal like Bioshock. The game was extremely well regarded in those circles. I find what prevents me from going back to Witcher 1 now is it is a bit busted on modern PC’s.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Anti-Hero posted:

Well…CDPR did not expect your average gamer to be all caught up in the previous installments and it showed when I played it. The ending(s) to TW2 were pretty much irrelevant to the main beats of TW3.

So regardless, it sounds like I can pop in to BG3 and be a-ok. Just gotta find a spare 200 hours.

No one is going to make a sequel that completely cuts out new players, but you absolutely get a lot more out of it if you are familiar with the earlier material. Those moments are going to hit a lot harder for you.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Anti-Hero posted:

Yeah, I do agree with you. What I got out of the BG3 discussion is the story connections to BG1 and 2 are even more tenuous.

I think being familiar with BG1 and 2 is kind of a net negative for enjoying BG3. This is mostly WoTC fault and not Larian's.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I love both and played both many times. Never understood the complaints about either. Even launch Cyberpunk was good (on PC).

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Augus posted:

did they improve the combat from the demo at all

The combat was already great so I’m interested to hear how you think it would be improved.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Very excited to play Stellar Blade, just wish midnight wasn't so late to stay up to play. Probably will only be able to play tomorrow. Hoping there is a guide for all the outfits at launch, so I can be sure to grab em all. A lot of the previews making me jealous of Eve's wardrobe.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah I can't not play FO4 without mods at this point so I'm going trophyless for ps5 there

I've noticed using mods on New Vegas doesn't disable achievements on Steam

They didn't start doing this until Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition, I forget which.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Having a real good time with Stellar Blade so far. I'm not always the best at action games, so wasn't sure how it would go, but playing on normal has been a pretty good degree of difficulty where I might need to take a couple attempts at a boss, but it never becomes frustrating, and it's usually clear what I did wrong. The enemy design continues to impress, with the bosses being huge standouts. The story isn't really the most engaging, but the rest of the game is picking up the slack. I do wish there was a bit better sign posting about what is side and main path. The classic tale of which of these two paths is where it wants me to go and which do I want to go down to fully explore the game.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

exquisite tea posted:

Eve's English voice actor isn't listen on IMDB for whatever reason but she sounds very closely like Isobel from BG3.

It's actually Alfira the Tiefling bard from BG3.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Kale posted:

I'll take FFVII's English dub any day of the week over whatever happened with this one. Some of the NPC's don't even remotely sound like how they look either and sound like an AI generated voice. Whatever production assistance they got from Sony it clearly wasn't in the realm of hiring good voice actors anywhere outside of Japan it seems. Even the original Korean dub is kind of eh IMO, but the English one is kind of on the Star Ocean spectrum in terms of voice acting quality.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, and I am really interested in what a sequel could be. It certainly has its weak points, that much is clear. The plot and writing in general is very weak, the English VO isn't great. The level design shows flashes of brilliance, while at most other times being pretty workmanlike. All of these are things you hope a sequel would improve.

I love the combat, the soundtrack is lovely, having a lot of fun dressing up Eve and being jealous of her pulling off outfits I never could. It looks nice, it runs extremely well with nothing I could notice as far as slow-downs, no stutters, quick loads. I'm vibing with the game in a way new games rarely do for me. I hope they take another crack at it.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Ulio posted:

Didn't Sony said they would look for more acquisition. I feel like ShiftUp and Arrowhead seem like the the logical partners.

I know people say Stellar Blade is horny but Shiftup's Project Nikke seems like their real horny cashcow, wonder how big that series is in Asia.

"South Korean developer Shift Up released its financial results for 2023, reporting massive gains in terms of operating profit – this value went up by 516% year-on-year and grew to around $82.4 million USD. Looking at net profits, Shift Up managed to turn a loss of around $5.3m USD from 2022 into a plus of around $79m USD – not a small feat by any means."

"Earlier this year, Shift Up initiated the process of getting listed on the Korean Stock Exchange – with analysts predicting it to be valued at over $2 billion USD."

https://videogames.si.com/news/shift-up-profit-growth-2023

I don't think Sony wants to pay Bungie money for Shift Up.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Augus posted:

There’s at least 3 other twists on top of that which I’m already 99% certain are gonna happen, one of which is because some random NPC was talking as if the twist already happened???

I feel like I just met this NPC and I had a real "huh" on my mind the entire conversation.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The outfits other than 1? I believe are also just recolors.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I'd rather watch all the awkward horny videos before I ever learn to play mahjong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

From my (limited) dating experience, it seems women are okay with the hyper-sexualization of female bodies in video games if they grew up playing them, since they realize part of the fun is the barbie dress-up part of it, but also these are supposed to be hyper unrealistic comic book-like heroes that do not represent reality.
Dressing up Eve is one of my favorite parts of the game. I would buy every costume DLC if they make any.