Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

exquisite tea posted:

I have played through Chapter 1 of the Valkyrie Elysium demo in a little under 2 hours. I don't know if there's much more to do because I stopped there, but it looks like I can go back at do side quests in the first area at least. First thing to get out of the way is that this game got the Trials of Mana budget, not the FFXV budget, so adjust expectations accordingly. I'm not entirely sold on the hybrid cel-shade art style, and the colors looked a bit washed out on my screen although that might just be an HDR thing. The gameplay however is very fun. If you've played DMC or basically any 3-D Square RPG from the past seven years, then this is a simplified version of that. The levels are mostly linear monster arenas with some hidden areas, there's a combo meter, and you get a letter ranking at the end. The double jump, the hookshot, the aerial combos, the witch time, it's all here, it's a CAG folks. Overall I enjoyed it and will be looking forward to playing some more when I get back from work, maybe on Hard this time because Normal seemed quite easy. If you don't immediately love the 21-year old actress told to speak with an over-enunciated British accent energy of this game then why have you even read this far.

I played about an hour and change of the demo and had fun! It’s definitely a lower budget character action RPG but it looks and plays nice enough. Colors looks fine but I’m playing on an OLED with HDR. Playing on Hard and honestly it’s still pretty easy, but then again I’m in the midst of playing Nioh 2 so YMMV. Also it defaulted to Japanese language and I’m enjoying that but when I play again I think I’ll check out the English!

I haven’t played a Valkyrie Profile game before but I did watch a streamer play through the first one earlier this year and it gives me some of the same vibes. The music is beautiful!

EDIT: and OF COURSE I just realized I downloaded the PS4 instead of the PS5 version last nite, god the PSN store sucks! At least I can see how it differs when I try the PS5 version later. The frame rate was definitely not always hitting 60 fps on the PS4 version which is a little concerning

Boy of Joy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

thank you to all who bought GoT, i humble myself before your sacrifice

https://twitter.com/FanbyteMedia/status/1570344103162032128
I’m loving the Japanese samurai/ninja games renaissance and I haven’t even gotten to GoT yet!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
gently caress yes Suikoden 1 and 2!!! Was itching to replay them soon but maybe I’ll just wait, hope it’s not too far into 2023. Too many games!!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Policenaut posted:

Goddamn, that Wo Long demo is so great. A+ poo poo I can't wait to see the final version. Now to try this new Valkyrie Elysium demo, which I'm sure will be just as good.
I played the Valkyrie Elysium demo and enjoyed it well enough, but after playing the Wo Long demo VE just seems a bit too boring, easy (even on hard) and repetitive. Unlikely I’ll be buying VE when it comes out but Wo Long is probably day 1 for me!

Some banger Motoi Sakuraba tunes in VE though, he doesn’t miss!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Only good Star Wars game remains Force Unleashed
???? The x-wing/tie fighter games from the 90s exist, so uh, no

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Oh god I’m gonna probably be moving in a few months and not looking forward to moving my CX… glad I still got the box though!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Which Puppet Combo game should I start with? I’ve been in love with their whole vibe since they came out but I’ve yet to play one. Murder House seems like a good option and it’s $6 right now. Watching a horror movie a day has me really craving some spooky vidya.
I just played through my first Puppet Combo game which was in fact Murder House! It was fantastic and now I’m gonna be holding it up as the bar for future Puppet Combo games I play.

I’m 100% with ya on constantly watching horror movies lately, AND playing horror games! Just got through my first playthrough of the first Fatal Frame and am now venturing into Fatal Frame 2! Spooky as heck, I explicitly avoided these games when they came out cuz maybe too scary for me at the time, but I can’t believe I never played em til now, I’m hooked!

To put this back on track on the PS5, are there Fatal Frame game(s) playable on PS5, and if so, are they any good?

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Fate Accomplice posted:

get you a public library that lends games + disc PS5 -> almost every game is free, buy DLC for the good ones.
This right here, it’s even better for PS5 because all the copies are never checked out since no one has a PS5!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I had the LAN cable disconnected problem on PS5 for a year and tried all sorts of stuff to fix it. Turns out swapping to a different Ethernet cable did the trick! Definitely try that

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I enjoy both Dual Sense and new Xbox controllers, don’t give a drat about stick placement and seamlessly transition between the two.

But I got complaints for both; stick drift on Dual Senses (I’ve tried several and it’s been intermittent), and the Dpad on Xbox clicks too loudly and the share button is too easy to accidentally press

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
God, the original Demons Souls character creation theme sends me right back to 2009. Good times! I really enjoyed the remake but agree some of the new music doesn’t compare to the original (and some of the art design too — what did they do to my boy Stockpile Thomas 😭 — but mostly I liked the new stuff)

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

Tunic was 100% worth getting the good ending. Kind of took some weird work to get, and a few things I just looked up on the internet because I’m not a math person but geez. What a great game.
Tunic was awesome and one of my fave games of the year! Just an incredible little game, the whole untranslated manual gimmick was so well done, totally reminded me of the olden days of getting an import game where I had to decipher a Japanese game manual. The game honestly left me wanting more and left me a bit sad when I wrapped up the true ending.

I still haven’t gotten the final treasure(s), as I’m slowly working out the translation of the runic language myself. It’s very rewarding but I don’t blame folks for looking up the translation online.

I would 100% buy a hard copy of the game and/or manual if they ever printed it!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

How does Pentiment change in comparison to its first hour? The entire “gameplay” so far is pressing a button to get the text to appear and advance and nearly nothing else more. Games like this I end up feeling like the book would be a far better experience? (not a Troll?)

It’s a point and click adventure game, nothing out of the ordinary there. What is definitely not possible in a book are the choices you can make and dialogue responses leading to different outcomes. The writing is really good, also the amazing historical accuracy/references. I’m not even done yet and I’ve been moved by some of the events in the game so far. Not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea but my god it’s good if it appeals to you.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Gosh I sure played a lot of Elden Ring! 100% worth it, wish I could erase it all from memory and start anew…

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Yeah what the actual gently caress… FF7R is probably the best modern FF combat they’ve ever done, and FF15 is basically hold button to win

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Very briefly contemplated buying the FF pixel remaster collectors edition, but no font change made me wise up real quick. Good job Squenix!!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Never played the original Crisis Core and was excited to get to do so with the remaster but a lot of folks’ opinions on it has soured me, so I’ll probably just wait for a sale. Especially after the excellence of FF7R! Seems jarring tbh

Regarding FF4 it’s honestly not aged great and that’s coming from someone who adored it as a kid playing “Final Fantasy II” on SNES. Also the pixel remaster completely borked the XP curve and it’s even easier than it was on SNES which is a shame.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I really enjoyed Nier Automata and can agree the combat is more simplistic than a lot of Platinum games, but that doesn’t make it bad. Had a lot of fun with it, and I loved the 9S hacking stuff because I love shmups and the chiptune music transitions were sick!

Also I’m scratching my head about folks saying it’s so easy, did you do all the Coliseum challenges? I guess the RPG min maxing stuff can break difficulty but I thought the higher tier coliseum stuff was pretty tough

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

The Perfect Element posted:

Man, altus plateau is hard. I love the music though.

Tbh I think I might be reaching the limits of my elden ring stamina. I'm near the capital, lvl56, and there's a stressful mini boss round every corner and I just don't think I can be arsed to deal with it anymore. I have no idea if I'm close to the end or not (have barely scratched the surface of Caelid), but the other regions I'm aware of are largely explored, and it feels like I might need to do a lot of grinding before I can get anywhere near the centre of the capital.

I don't usually play two games at the same time (other than sports sims), so I'm loathe to drop it, but I find myself forcing myself to play these days rather than looking forward to it. I've been meaning to play Death Stranding for ages, and feel like maybe I'll just pick that up and call it a day with ER for now.

FWIW level 56 sounds pretty low for being close to Leyndell and not having done much of Caelid. Have you gone to any of the big underground areas at all? Not talking about catacombs or mines…

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Best gaming moment of last year for me was the bit in Elden Ring where I stumbled upon an elevator that takes you down, down, down and witnessed… THAT place underground. Just magical, wish I could experience it again for the first time!

The aforementioned vista moments were also all amazing. Getting me nostalgic for Elden Ring…

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

acksplode posted:

The thing these games have in common is that they get worse the more you play them. Open world sidequestathon, RPG that plays itself while you hold up on the L stick, interesting concept shooter that didn't quite come together during pandemic development and starts to show cracks as you progress with an ending that a lot of people hated.

Games with poo poo-hot gameplay that never gets old because it rules. Yeah I'm seeing a pattern here.

I love hearing all this whining about negativity when I can find several statements of praise on this very page, including for the game that's getting critiqued, often in the very same posts critiquing it. Maybe goons in the gaming forum just play a lot of loving games and have very well formed and strong opinions about what they do and do not like. And maybe Sony puts out some first party games that are meant to be frictionless and broadly appealing but alienate the people who play a shitload of games and need the friction to feel like they're alive. Maybe dismissing thoughtful criticism with kneejerk positivity is in fact a form of negativity.
As mostly a lurker and sometime poster I think this nails it.

I would also add that the average age on the forums certainly skews towards middle age and that pretty much means many posters have a ton of gaming history, which means they will probably be more critical about new games. So I’m not surprised that a lot of posters may come off as curmudgeonly.

It’s also a very human thing to get upset when someone criticizes or outright hates something you love, but I personally value negative reviews of stuff I like, it’s nice to see a different perspective (although it’s not always grounded in objectivity… nothing really is though).

Thread is fine! And for the record I haven’t been playing much PS5, but hope to rectify that with finishing up Yakuza 0, resuming my Bloodborne playthrough and digging into Tactics Ogre Reborn!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I’m an FF13 series apologist, formerly a hater, so I hope you enjoy that one! Gonna probably replay Ff13-2 and Lightning Returns on Xbox this year because I’m not confident Squenix is gonna do a remaster/rerelease anytime soon

The music is excellent across the board, not a surprise for FF but these games have a sick blend of techno/symphonic stuff that hits just right

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
The sequels are kinda budget, DF made a really good technical retrospective of them recently, but on PC (with mods) and Xbox Series consoles they look a lot better than the PS3 versions I played a couple years ago.

The music is definitely NOT budget though, I actually prefer 13-2’s soundtrack to 13’s even though Hamauzu is a god, just a lot more electronic flavored stuff.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Vinyl and tape fan here. There’s just something special about taking the time to put on a tape or record than the almost disposable nature of digital and streaming stuff. The analogue nature of it is the point! If you aren’t into it that’s fine. Tapes are also super cheap to make and distribute and remain a nice little physical object for fans of small artists. I still listen to streaming services of course, but it’s nice to have an alternative.

There’s nothing terribly special about CDs when you get basically exact same audio quality through digital lossless files. I can count the number of music CDs I’ve bought in the last 5 years on one hand. Also it’s laughable that the PS5 can’t play audio CDs. From Sony of all companies!

I’m also a 4K bluray enjoyer because that’s always gonna be the highest quality for fancy pants OLED TVs.

All that being said the majority of games I buy these days are digital, but I do worry about the future of digital game availability what with all the bullshit that movie/tv streaming services are pulling when they take stuff off because of licensing, greed or both

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

At one point I think I had about 1000 LPs and after moving with them like 4 times I was just like nope, gently caress this and sold them all. There's a novelty with records with the big art and gimmicks and colors, and its fun to throw an album on in the living room, but they just take up a ton of space and weigh a ton.
This is definitely a problem and it’s probably why I’ve cut down on new vinyl purchases in the past year or so. I’m gonna have to move in a couple months and am not looking forward to this aspect lol

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Also I think Marauders are the most loathsome enemy in the entire history of video games as a whole. Just pure, concentrated anti-fun. Fighting them is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
This sounds hyperbolic af, but to each their own. They were annoying at first but once I figured out the ranges and timings and weapons to use they turned out to be slightly longer roadblocks than other enemies. I guess the Doom formula is just too sacred for lots of folks. Reminds me of people who enjoy Souls games but bounce off Sekiro. Maybe some element of unwilling to engage with the combat systems. Of course it may not be everyone’s cup of tea and that’s fine!

I played through Titanfall 2, Doom 2016 and eventually Doom Eternal for the first time pretty much back to back over the holidays after getting an Xbox and Gamepass and had a blast with all of em. I dunno I loved the old Doom games but I’m perfectly fine that they mixed up the formula for Eternal. I think I liked Doom 2016 a bit more than Eternal but I’d still play through both of them again on a harder difficulty in the future

For the record Titanfall 2 was amazing but the campaign was sadly too short. Left me wanting more and I guess that’s probably not gonna be happening?

Boy of Joy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 15, 2023

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I just finished Yakuza 0 in 115 hours and it was incredible (gently caress the platinum though lol)! I fully intend to continue the series in order, but I ended up starting Like a Dragon on a whim because I figured it has a new protagonist and is pretty different mechanically.

It’s also loving incredible and I’m hooked, but am I making a mistake if I play through it before continuing on to Kiwami 1 and 2? I figure I might miss out on some lore and references from the earlier games, but obviously don’t want to dig to deeply for fear of spoilers.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

heckyeahpathy posted:

Thanks, y'all! I think I'll download 0 and give it a shot first. I'm not trying to play Yakuza all year long, but I'm also not NOT trying to do that, so...
I wasn’t either but I’m about to start my third Yakuza game since the year started so… yeah.

That being said I did take a two month break in the middle of my Yakuza 0 playthrough, so I’m sure breaks will be necessary and valuable!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Hirsute posted:

Is Game Pass better than the top tier of PS+ for some reason? I just upgraded my PS+ a couple months ago and have already played through several games I probably would never have bought anyway. They got like all the PS1 and later Final Fantasy games, thinking I'll play through the ones I haven't played (which is most of them) at some point.
For me Gamepass is 100% better, but it really depends on which games you are interested in playing between the two libraries. The Day 1 stuff on Gamepass for the last few months has appealed to me way more than what’s available on PSN, but I just got an Xbox Series X a couple months ago so that’s a factor. There is also some 3rd party overlap, like the Yakuza series is available on both.

But 4 of my top 5 games last year I never would have tried were it not for Gamepass, and last I checked none of them are available on any PSN tier, or at all (Tunic, Signalis, Pentiment, Immortality).

I’m letting my PSN Extra sub lapse this month and have Gamepass subscribed through next January FWIW. That being said, now I’m finishing up Miles Morales which is really drat good, never got around to it so it’s nice that there are some sweet Sony exclusives on the PSN sub. But I probably won’t sub again til June at the earliest when Street Fighter 6 comes out, as I’m pretty sure my fancy arcade stick doesn’t work on Xbox :negative:

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Found some sort of giant ant hive far beneath the earth in Elden Ring, was bug-mugged for my 10k in runes, got them back then immediately turned and walked away when I stumbled upon what I assume was the queen
IIRC the queen is way easier than she looks, but I agree that room was super intimidating for the first time

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

hi fi rush is the metal gear revengeance successor i had given up on waiting for. it is the hypest action game of its generation. some of its setpieces may make players headbang themselves into a spinal injury
drat I was playing this last night and thought the exact same thing. So good and it’s unreal it’s nearly free thru Gamepass. Really hope PlayStation folks get a chance to play it at some point, it’s a shame it’s limited to MS platforms.

As for me in PS5 news Theatrhythm is probably gonna be high up on my games of the year. Can’t stop playing the demo, I’m at like 13 hours lol. And there’s gonna be 550ish new songs in 2 weeks?? I tried out the Pair (co-op) mode and it was so drat fun. Makes things easier by splitting the work so you can try out Supreme difficulty without dying immediately. Such a simple concept but it works so well!

Also keep the Elden Ring posts coming Wolfsheim, love hearing first timer experiences as they progress through the game and the sublime moments keep hitting

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Jelly posted:

Quick question about Witcher 3.

I have an LG C1 and my PS5 with pretty much all the default settings and all the games and television seem to look really great since I picked it up about a year ago.

I understand Witcher 3 is a remaster and is bound by whatever engine it was developed in. It appears to be really washed out in comparison to a lot of other games. Is this normal? Like the lighting just seems too generally bright, there are definitely shadows but it doesn't seem like enough? I don't know, I wish I was more perceptive and could articulate what I mean better but the lighting seems really off. Maybe it's the HDR or something?
I don’t have Witcher 3 but I do have an LG CX which is the previous years model of yours and I can suggest that you double check the Black Level setting as that can make things washed out if set incorrectly. Usually auto works fine but in some configs you might wanna explicitly set it to Low and that’s the typical standard for consoles. Make sure the PS5 black level matches in any case.

As for HDR I use the settings in HDTV Test’s video here:
https://youtu.be/S0G8sHcFQq8

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I did Ranni’s quest like blind as well, although I’ll admit that Fromsoft’s standard obtuse quest design and storytelling didn’t really work as well in an enormous open world setting. I’ve just been so used to how they do things in their games that I ended up constantly checking up on NPCs periodically. It does help that in Elden Ring they’ve made it so there is more flexibility in the order you do things without breaking quest lines, but ultimately I think From reached the limits of how they typically do things. Didn’t help that they were capable of making things more straightforward and cinematic in Sekiro, and frustratingly took a bit of a step back in what should have been (imo) a more cohesive story experience.

But honestly it’s a minor complaint compared to the sheer joy of the exploration and discovery throughout its huge world.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Yeah with the gaming subscription services I’m at the point where I reallllly try not to buy individual games unless I play them right away, even if they’re cheap.

And with free brand new amazing games like Hi-Fi Rush it gets harder to justify!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I watched Limmy get stuck on chapter 0 of Dead Space Remake and bin it. So yeah the game is not for everyone lol

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

JBP posted:

I use a Hori Fighting Edge. It's a little old now but it's awesome and compatible with ps5.

Depending on your tolerance for bulk/price the Qanba obsidian range, Mayflash F300/F500 and Hori range are all good sticks that are ps5 compatible. Apparently the Mayflash F300 is a ripper for price to performance.
I have a Qanba Obsidian and it’s a great stick and works fine on PS5. Definitely gonna be using it for SF6

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

imhotep posted:

Holy poo poo I didn’t know it was a drink, but I used to love this song that I now know is named after it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjX3lpAzGA
Whoa hello fellow Kona Triangle enjoyer! I too also had the epiphany of this track name, never having heard of the beverage before. Love to pull out this album every few years, wish he put out more Kona Triangle stuff…

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Mulholland Drive is so so good! Blessed to have watched it in the theater when it came out.

For all the Lynch heads there is a Criterion release remastered BluRay of Inland Empire coming out this month, I haven’t seen that since the DVD release eons ago.

Game wise I’m still playing Theatrhythm on my PS5 (160 hours lol), Wo Long on my Xbox (Gamepass keeps winning) and starting FF6 pixel remaster tonite on PC. Good times!!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

why would i want to listen to people on discord while i play a video game
Ok grandpa

That sounds ludicrous coming from me and my old rear end but seriously, can you not imagine how it might benefit to talk to folks you’re playing games with? To each their own I guess

RE4 remake demo whips rear end, immediately preordered after I finished it. Honestly performance with RT on felt barely worse than RT off, it definitely can’t be hitting 60 fps the whole time right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Yeah but everyone uses discord.

Except some of the goons in this thread I guess