Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

VideoGames posted:

Just getting it out there now: the kind of posting that has been getting me down from the previous thread is not going to fly.

Be kinder to each other.

This does not mean forced positivity, just rethink how you are posting against each others points. :hai:

...but the future refused to change

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

talk about games i care about even a little

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

haveblue posted:

Outer Wilds is scary because the universe is completely indifferent to your presence. You're exploring a vast clockwork mechanism that was not built with you in mind. All around you are gears grinding on a cosmic scale and you cannot affect their course, only stay out of their way because if you get caught in them they will simply grind on without you

is this the real life

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

fridge corn posted:

express it as best you can. Share the love of suikoden! :love:

I couldn't get into them. 3 was the first one I really dove hard into and it just didn't stick even a little. I hear 5 was good, too, but...I dunno. Maybe it was because I was a Fallout nerd back then. Well, that and Front Mission.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

when will the good games happen

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

every leak is marketing "there is nothing you can take from me i would not willingly give"

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why would a company have the source code for all their games not in some sort of air-gapped server?

But also, and this is definitely ignorance on my part, what’s the big deal about source code getting leaked? Is it because other people can produce the game? Or just rip out pieces and parts of it for their projects? Like, who gives a F if rockstar still produces the game.

It's usually not really a big deal -- github exists for a reason and knowledge of how to do a thing doesn't mean you are automatically capable of doing that thing. Smart companies protect people who actually do stuff; that's the bottleneck. Like Vikar said, the real issue is compromising the code at the consumer level, which erases any semblance of fairness in the game environment. Knowing how a thing works can give you the opportunity to exploit it without being detected. In this case, if the single player and multiplayer codebase is separate (and I can't imagine anything but the most basic of common functions aren't) then it's not only not a big deal to have that code but chances are you're going to find (and ideally recruit) the guys who are interested enough to both look at it and improve it. Plus when they're motivated enough to fix your code on spec or pro bono then you ain't gonna have to pay them much, either, to let them work in an official capacity on their dream project.

I might be too cynical for my own good, hahaha.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

haveblue posted:

Tried the Wo Long demo and it's OK I guess. Is there really nothing you can do about red dot attacks other than parry with correct timing? I keep getting my rear end kicked by a tiger

dont be where the attack is

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

hahahahahahahaha market leader hahahahaha there's nothing to steal

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

souls inspired is a loving plague especially since souls is just castlevania 3d writ decent

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

wo long will be my goty if i can roll with my bro cao ren for eternity

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

Genichiro is about learning how to do more complex timing rhythm games than Lady Butterfly, while also mixing in the mikiri counter and the jump counter. Once you teach your reflexes how to quickly discern those two attacks, and reliably counted them, he’s destroyed.

...and y'wonder why i like the games that i can actually ever play

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

oh no a plague of fun games

mostly just that people seem to have taken all the least interesting things about them and then called anything that uses that souls like

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Twibbit posted:

They also need a talking head who gives you lore and snarks with you all the time

morte is a bro and so is murray

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Yeah but I already beat the guy once having to beat him again and again is just tedious

Like I'll be straight up and say *in Casnorf voice* this is a me problem, but it's one I really struggle to overcome.

Actually hold on a sec, cuz one of my all time favourite games of all time, Mission Thunderbolt, is a roguelike. It's nearly impossible to beat, even when cheating, but that's not the point of it, every run is so randomised and different, there are no scripted events, the whole game is just go out and explore and see what cool poo poo you can find a mess about with.

I sometime phrase that sort of experience as being "topographically similar." Yeah, sure, a donut and a coffee mug are topographically similar but the shapes are basically always gonna be the same even if they're in slightly different places -- it's why I don't much care for Breath of the Wild and why most roguelites really fall on their face when it comes to understanding why rogue is such a seminal influence. A good roguelike understands that the pieces still have to come together to form an emergent narrative or vary up the gameplay per session and if that doesn't happen all you can see is the seams.

Personally, I really like Dead Cells for having the same basic shape but the texture, the actual moment to moment gameplay, varies wildly by which items you find. Gungeon does a pretty decent job there, too. I hear Isaac is good for that but I'll never know because I don't like looking at it and that's more than enough to not play something, hahaha.

Much as I love Returnal, its roguelike aspects aren't super compelling. The weapons tend toward homogeneity over time and the rooms have no strong narrative structure beyond the very most basic of visual themes. I don't think it'd work as a more straightforward framework, but I'm not really super sure how to approach the integration of procedural elements without spilling directly into roguelike terminology. It's...some secret third thing, hahaha.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

er gently caress i meant to make jokes
when trochees and iams elope
thinkin' bout games
don't get me no fame
so we're gonna lean hard on these tropes

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Hades is a pretty great game and a diamond in the rough with all the games out these days.

i do not think this phrase means what you think it means

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Weird, always thought it meant "standout". :lol:

The "rough" part of the phrase means "uncut" or "unrefined." So the phrase means "she don't look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid" or perhaps in car analogy terms, a sleeper. Hades is anything but.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Oh, the phrase comes from the idea that a raw diamond looks a lot like a chunk of quartz or zirconia, so spotting a literal diamond in the rough is a mark of a keenly discerning eye, able to look past what is presented and see what is valuable about something.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Still never got all the Dusa romance stuff though

you're alive but have you really lived

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

bows1 posted:

Sifu...rear end game

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Hoffadoff posted:

So outer worlds and cyberpunk are both on sale right now. If I was looking for a fps would either one of them fit the bill? Are they both giant open world games where I'm gonna have to travel halfway across a big rear end map to shoot poo poo?

nope theyre both rpgs so

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

bows1 posted:

so jealous. Even my wife would just sit and watch me play it was so engrossing. She doesnt do that with any other game except Elden Ring

got bad news for you about your wife and horses

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

or maybe good news i aint judge

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Hoffadoff posted:

What's outer wilds? I was asking about outer worlds. Well if neither of them fit the bill has anybody played a good fps lately that's not cod?

That's what I was trying to suggest. They're first-person RPGs, not shooters. I like them both, but they aren't what I play when I want DOOM or bangbangbang

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Do you want boomer shooter or steath action shooter or oorah narrative shooter or looter shooter? There's something for everyone there; I might go with Deathloop or Borderlands 3 if you just want to go nuts on some everything.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Augus posted:

Doom is also an RPG because you play the role of the doom guy

level up your jump

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

skyrim but hypercapitalist future and not enough guns

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

2077 is skyrim hypercapitalist nearer future and too many guns but not enough to shoot

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

skyrim doesnt have enough guns really

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

lol at u erudite nerds who think you dont just talk Like That yourselves its shameful exceptionalism and a good way to tell whose opinions matter least since they are ~not ur peeeeeeeers~

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

"wannabe better than u" implies they think theyre not hahahahaha

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Or I can give you a casual breakdown of exactly the thought processes that lead to this line of logic, since it always starts from the same assumptions. I mean, the ones what already decided I'm a fart-huffing nerdlinger are just gonna make fun of that no matter what I say, so enjoy, I suppose. I liked Deathloop, and I liked it enough that I reinstalled it last night. I have no idea if the new content is in yet, and it really doesn't matter greatly. I'm gonna enjoy playing it either way. I liked the implication of sexual tension between the leads and the wonderful subversion when it's absolutely not the case. It was a good early reveal, in that you had to recontextualize everything one of them said and see that it all still works. That's good writing!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Macichne Leainig posted:

Deathloop is an OK video game with writing that doesn't do it for everyone and that's OK.

this is rad lots of great games fall into this category

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Baggot posted:

New thread, new posters, so here's a friendly invitation to our friendly Discord server for PlayStation thread posters!

We'll help you with hardware or software troubleshooting, game recommendations, trophy hunting, or just finding other folks to play games with. Everyone is welcome!

https://discord.gg/9j7ugAb

be ye fairly warned the fish is only slightly less insufferable in real time

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

did u no i havent watched the forspoken trailer and dont even know which one yall het up about

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

im not gonna click a link either nice try nerrrrrdddddssssssss

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

I only saw like a minute of footage but I thought it was more of a 1st person magic sword guy style game than an FPS

Naw, it's an FPS disguised as magic, sorta like how Infamous is a third-person shooter disguised as superpowers.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's like 30 seconds of your life you'll never get back anyway, so you're better off not seeing it

I mean I'd'a just wasted'em posting here, let's be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Macichne Leainig posted:

So if you watch it it's double waste. That's a horrible waste inefficiency and we strive to do better on these forums

I don't know how to break this to you but hahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha