Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rageaholic posted:

Happy to help :)

If any of y'all have suggestions for the OP, :justpost: and I'll update it.

Some formatting when you get the time, and a current list of iPhones on offer, and maybe some honorable mentions from the refurb store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Thread, what case brands are we recommending? I've got a Spigen on my 12PM currently, and I know they were recommended in the previous thread. But who else? Apple brand cases? Are Otterboxes still used?

I'm a fan of Ringke and the occasional Merkury case, which I'm currently running. Otherwise: Spigen.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

So there isn't one brand to recommend in the OP? Spigen, Caudabe, Apple, Otterbox...they all sound like they're good for different reasons.

As long as the case provides a bit of a lip (i.e., "raiseivity") to protect the cameras and the display, and the buttons click properly, pretty much any brand will work.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's in the forest

Drop-bears

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a case that makes the back of the phone completely flat? Even the ones that are thicker than the camera bump still have a little lip around the camera hole that makes the back not totally flat.

The Merkury case for my 11 is flat on the back (.2-.5mm above the cameras), but the iPhone 11 has a lower profile camera bump, compared to the new poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Isn't it "vegan leather", so really it's cellulose and plastic?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

American McGay posted:

My main use case for the cutout tool is Discord, which was initially showing the white background and I assumed it was just an automatic jpeg compression inherent with the way the app handled images, but someone suggested deleting and reinstalling Discord which worked perfectly. Now all my cat pics are transparent no matter where I post them.

Reinstalling just now worked for me as well; now i can just copy and paste directly instead of jumping through the share menus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I agree with you but am on the fence about upgrading to 14 Pro from 13 Pro. I am on iPhone Upgrade Program :v: so that is a factor

Seeing in the reviews (particularly MKBHD's as usual excellent review) the Always On Screen is hilariously bright, and there is (currently) no way to adjust the brightness, only an on/off toggle. I guess I am going to make fun of anyone's phone I see on a table or whatever in the coming years with that turned on, at least in my head, though I imagine at some point they will add the feature to adjust, maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLShOCvVeM

Why have always on display when you a:) might have an Apple Watch,
Or
B:) since you have to take it out of your pocket to see it anyway, just use tap to wake, and that way it won't be constantly wasting battery life in your pocket

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

101 posted:

The always-on display turns off if it's in your pocket, face down, or detects you've moved far enough away when wearing an Apple Watch

Fair enough, i just don't see the point of having it on if you keep your phone in your pocket since you can just tap the screen.
And if you have it on a desk, your job probably pays you enough to have an Apple Watch so you don't need it on there, either. :-/

Honestly it just seems to bea solution in search of a problem.

Can you activate Siri with the always on display? Cause that'd be great for setting timers in the kitchen.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 16, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Can't see the photo for the pixels

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

vote_no posted:

Speaking of cameras and looking stupid, I wish they would take the entire camera area and replace it with a single giant lens and a similarly huge sensor. It’d look dumb, but it already does and I feel like *that* would be an actual leap forward in cell phone camera tech.

Nokia and i think Sony have already tried this.

- Nokia 1020
- Xiaomi 12s Ultra
- Leica Leitz 1
- Sharp Aquos R6

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 16, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

incoherent posted:

Real heads wait for the mid year refresh. Green is the pro color, however. 11 PRO and 13 PRO had really nice greens.

I want something lighter that evokes Spring time, like the iPad Air 4, or Huawei P10 Plus.

Instant purchase for me. Until then, I'll keep my iPhone 11.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

This Dynamic Island Earth

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Teach the AI that birds aren’t real.

They are real though. Video evidence:

🔊

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I can't see video embeds on the forums here, like the one posted by Mister Facetious in the bird conversation or the one a few pages back showing the weird extra spin the timer on the island has.

I assume that's probably Firefox's fault, but it's minor and I can usually tell from context a video is missing and get the URL by quoting the post.

Gimme a sec I'll upload it to YouTube

https://youtu.be/fzMEg9ynmiU

I don't know how to make it public on iPhone, so it's unlisted i think

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 19, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I do love how boomers come up with the craziest theories for how their accounts were compromised. My dad swears up and down that someone he knows had their phone "scraped" which somehow gave the baddies a fully copy of his phone from which they extracted all his login info and started sending scam messages to his phone book.

Definitely gotta be sophisticated hackers deploying state-agency level tools in rural SC to steal $450 from Cletus, that's the only possible explanation. Definitely wasn't him setting up an account at MAGAmart.shorpify.notascam.win with the same username/password he uses everywhere.

They clicked a link that they got texted. It's always a phishing link cause they can't tell the difference between legit and bullshit they don't automatically assume any text that isn't a personal contact or the Amazon/pizza guy is bullshit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hed posted:

I need more space to upgrade to iOS 16. The photos app is taking 5 GB. But everything is backed up to iCloud. Is this 5GB of thumbnails.

If I delete photos and redownload it after the upgrade what will I lose? All my photos? Local “2017 in review”s?

Do you have your phone set to download and keep the originals in the Photos app?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

withak posted:

Playing U2 by default is very Apple :lol:

I wish YouTube music would stop recommending the Tragically Hip.

What a poo poo band.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Anyone else using the Weather Lock Screen pissed off about details popping in? Like, I tap my phone or a notification wakes it up, it's a blue sky for a full second then big clouds POP in visually. Not in what seems to be any intentional animation, more of a bug.

I wish it showed the "feels like" temperatures, I'm just not interested in adding it to mine otherwise :sigh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Carrot has a widget for this

I already use Weather network for it, I'd just like it on my lock screen too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Is iPhone 11 Pro -> iPhone 14 Pro a big enough change to be worth it?

If you want more lowlight performance, yes. Otherwise, probably not. Just pay for a new battery instead.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

frogbs posted:

My Mom is using an iPhone 6s Plus on Mint Mobile, and the phone is on it's last legs. IN whateevr she gets next she needs at least 256gb of storage, but doesn't necessarily need the latest and greatest, just something that will last her another 4-5 years. Is an unlocked iPhone 13 from Apple for $799 her best bet, or is there something older she could look at used that's almost as good?

Assuming she's using all that storage for photography and video recording, the 13 comes with sensor shift optical image stabilization on the main lens. It'd bea solid pick imo.
The 6.1 has the same battery life as the 11, but if you use the dark mode wizardry, you get even longer screen on times.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 27, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Laserface posted:

Round edges can go gently caress themselves and so can anyone who thinks they're good.

That's a sharp angle to take

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WerthersWay posted:

Don't recall if I have in last few days so just did it. My partner updated her 14 Pro Max to the latest OS yesterday and now her Instagram won't open. Just closes every time and we've tried everything so she's just basically waiting for a new update to drop. Not like she runs a business on Instagram or anything... :/

Has she tried removing and reinstalling the Gram?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

buglord posted:

my dad's phone has the same thing. I have no idea what dads do to make that happen.

Must be some Fantasy sports app, right?

Maybe it's an issue with pressure being applied under the screen to those spots

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

lol the only reason I have an iPhone is because everyone else at the small (five people) company I work for has one and my Android was in some way messing up any group texts on their end.

But hey, free hand-me-down iPhone 12 I guess.

Bullying works

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Do people like FaceID? Does it work reliably on a phone? I have it in my iPad Pro and though it works a lot of the time, it fails way too often for my taste.

Best security feature ever invented.

I'd say that even if I didn't have scars on my right thumb and index finger, too.

The less i have to interact with my Apple device while cooking or eating, the better.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Weedle posted:

regular and telephoto would be a lot more useful but they gotta get people to buy the pro somehow

Nah, amateur instagrammers need the wide angle for macro food shots

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Wide angle is the regular camera ?

Ultrawide. You know what i mean though. :colbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol wasn’t trying to be a jerk, I legit misread it , but it’s been a long week.

Tell me about it :hfive:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Leafs fans notifications go dark in late April.

Oilers in February

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

blastron posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a drop-resistant case for an iPhone 14 Pro? I'm looking for something that has a lip around the screen and the camera since I'm astoundingly clumsy when it comes to phones and wind up dropping mine on the sidewalk at least once a week.

Ringke, Merkury, Spigen, Otterbox, d-brand

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

Is iOS loving with alarms again? I have an alarm set to repeat on weekdays, and thank gently caress for the lock screen widget that shows you your next alarm, because without it I'd not have known that iOS was just failing to set the alarm. It was turned on in Alarms and set correctly to repeat, but simply did not register with the system. If I turn the alarm off and on again a few times, it will eventually stick. Over the past week this has become part of my bedtime routine because it happens so consistently.

I was having my cooking timers cancel themselves before they're finished on my iPad yesterday.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s easier and safer to clean out a lightning port too vs a USB-C.

As someone that works in a bakery, can confirm. Blasting it with pressurized air (and i don't mean those pussy air cans either) makes cleaning them and the speaker at the same time a breeze.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

I would give a great deal to be able to follow this command.

2 naproxen + 2 melatonin. Works for me. v:geno:v

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

heehee posted:

2 naproxen... bro.

I want to be able to add booze at any time with no consequences :colbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The one gen that clipped onto a shirt or whatever was incredible. It was the perfect exercise/running iPod.

I had the little 2/4gb one of that in blue. Great for podcasts and audio books.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

floppyspud posted:

For anyone who switched from being an Android user to iphone: are there things you missed/didn't have in the new phone that you wish you did?

One thing I don't like that was somewhat recently changed is that I always hate typing on friends iphones; the keyboard just feels so dead to me with no haptic feedback, though that is now an option in the settings (afaik). Is there anything else I should think about?

Also for more info I'm coming from an S10, looking at a standard iPhone (max too big, pro too expensive) and the last Apple product I owned and used often was... I think an ipad 2?

1.) The SA app on Android is better imo in that it tries better to emulate the look of the website. Also, tapping an avatar expands it to large size and shows the custom text.

2.) Iirc haptic typing is off by default/is an accessibility thing? I don't remember, i always use swiping.

3.) I find the default iPhone (6.1", approx. 73-75mm wide) to be about the limit for one handed use after adding a case. It works for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

floppyspud posted:

You just think having less choice with the size of a phone is one of the downsides? Ok, that's fair. Is there anything else? It looks pretty good from just those.

I was just giving my experience with the default size, as the op said the max (and by extension the 14 Plus) was too big.

I can't remember what the size of the S10 was, 5.7"? Or was that the 10e?

The only other thing I'd want is the Pro's zoom lens for wildlife photography, but i don't consider it worth the price hike to go from the 14 to the 14 Pro.
I don't miss the three button navigation Android had, and the third party apps seem at least as good as their counterparts. Face ID rules and i never want to go back, and the battery life is great if you go dark mode all the time.

YouTube Premium > Apple music if for no reason than getting rid of YouTube ads.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

heehee posted:

tried this last night and it didn't work, now i feel dead. fffuuuuuu

It's for going to sleep, not waking up. You want Monster Energy for that.