Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tripping hazards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The best part of iOS 16 is that faceID works in landscape mode. Trying to open 1Password to enter a password in landscape mode, but having to rotate it to portrait mode just for the face scan and rotating it back was annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

for many years the "artists" icon in the stock music app was a picture of bono. steve just loved that motherfucker. i guess we should be grateful that he wasn't a mega-fan of like. ratt

Ratt is way better than U2 fyi

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The weather Lock Screen wallpaper is the best

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Set imessages to time out after a year. Free yourself from the decade old nudes.

It’s so loving stupid that there’s no options between 1 and 12 months. I’ll regularly search for like kid stuff my wife mentions, but a year back is way too much poo poo to store. Give me like 3 months as an option :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/20/ios-16-haptic-keyboard-battery-life/

quote:

"Turning on keyboard haptics might affect the battery life of your iPhone," says Apple, in a support document published last week. Apple does not provide any additional details, so it's not clear exactly how much battery life the feature uses. Note that Low Power Mode does not disable haptic feedback, so the only option for users who are concerned about potential battery life impact is to keep the feature turned off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

No way. You don’t say that a small “motor” rumbling every .5 seconds as you type might lower the battery life?

It's just weird for Apple to acknowledge that something has a large enough effect on battery life to specifically mention it. Curious whether it's a large battery drain, or that people are just complaining about crappy iOS 16 battery life, not knowing that this could cause it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holding an accessory down and getting a menu instead of the controls is some baffling-rear end UI.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

withak posted:

Has anyone checked if the color of the sky changes when AQI gets bad?

Northern CA goon near the mosquito fire checking in. It does not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The phone thinks you need to meet hot singles in your area.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Or Today! https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/22/apple-releases-ios-16-0-2/

Hopefully it fixes the bug on my 11 where dictation and Siri fail nonstop for the last day or so.

E,fb.

I had that right after I updated to iOS 16 as well. Not in the beta either, but the RC. It was super weird and I had to do a restore to unfuck Siri/dictation.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Your face is wrong

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I just realized that if you hard press while on the lock screen it gives you the option to switch between pre-set wallpapers. Not sure I totally get the use case of this. Maybe one with the work week and one for the weekend? idk

That’s how you customize lock screens though.

I just noticed if you hold an empty space on your Home Screen, it makes all your apps jiggle. That’s kinda cool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah + on ATT is atrocious. My streaming music cuts out all the time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was at a music festival yesterday and couldn’t send a single text message, let alone a picture, just about all day. The signal would fluctuate between “SOS” (only?) and 3 bars of 5G+ on ATT, but nothing would go through.

Thanks 5G!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Serious question: do you know if you are on a plan with priority data or not ?

All 3 carriers have cheaper plans where you get slowed down for first, or higher plans where you pay for priority access.

I will say, if I remember right I would bet you are on the higher plan, but just checking.

They all said, it’s hosed up that you can pay for priority network access in the US and is annoying. loving rip Net Neutrality.

I’m on their highest unlimited plan. I don’t believe this one gets throttled IIRC. I could be wrong though. Just sucked to not be able send more than like 3 texts for 9 hours, especially since I had a babysitter for my younger kids at home.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

iOS 16 just changed the wording from "No Signal" to "SOS" when you drop out of cell range but might be able to roam on another network for emergency calls. It has nothing to do with satellites.

Yep exactly this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

To add to this, I also got a prompt asking me to log into my Apple account again :thunk:

The loving worst part about this is that you can’t use a password manager to grab your Apple ID password.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Even if the backend is gone, the app will attempt to send data so I would suggest to delete the app.

It's not an app though. It's just baked into the OS. You can disable it, however, by tapping "turn off exposure notifications" or removing the region.

And funny this should come up. I went to a music festival last weekend that had 160k people over 4 days. I got my first exposure notification in probably 18 months, which shows just how few people actually used it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think I got exactly one notification the whole time the scheme was active, and when I finally caught Covid at the start of this year I had no option to report it to let it notify other people that I had been in contact with.

Yeah I popped pos on a home test a while back, and there's no way to put that in. In my county, it has to be diagnosed by a doctor, and the result sent into the county or state database, whatever it is, then you wait a week to get a number to punch into the system to confirm your diagnosis.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had to do a restore to get mine working again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bought my first AirTags for my ATV remotes because kids suck at not losing them. Why in the world are the sounds so quiet on them?! I can barely hear them unless the room is perfectly quiet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

They are fairly loud, did you fit in a cover/holder that blocks the sides? You might be blocking the speaker output.

The cases I have leave the Airtag exposed.

Maybe I have too many kids and too much chaos in my house :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why would you want to turn the call volume completely off if you're on a call? Am I missing something?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, I did the same thing this week

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What sports apps support it now?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Watch it just be a USB-C port on the phone end, but still USB 2.0 on the other end.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

What do you mean still? The iPhone ships with a lightning->USB-C cable.

Does it actually data transfer at USB 3.0 speeds? I am actually not familiar with what ships with new phones.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

How mad about trains were you? :stare:

Have you met train people before? They’re pretty nutso.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Oh and I’d spend $10 on this 5 pack of lightning cables and not have to worry about needing extra cables

Limited-time deal: Amazon Basics ABS USB-A to Lightning Cable Cord, MFi Certified Charger for Apple iPhone, iPad, Black, 6-Ft, 5-Pack https://a.co/609sGhE

From someone who has all his cables swiped by his kids, thanks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

buglord posted:

Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?

The one gen that clipped onto a shirt or whatever was incredible. It was the perfect exercise/running iPod.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

blastron posted:

I have carried the same iTunes library forward since 2005 and have a playlist called "The Best Music" which contains only music I have rated five stars. It is a thousand songs long and is the only playlist I sync to my phone. When I want to listen to music I can just hit play and know that all of the songs are good, but maybe I need to skip twenty tracks until I find one I am in the mood for.

It's me. I'm the iPod Shuffle customer.

I do this too. It took me like 5 years to passively star rate every song in my library and it pisses me off that they incrementally remove star functionality with what seems every update.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Usually don't have my PC with me in the car though. :v:

And the star rating toggle is gone from iOS. I can't find it anyways. Though I found a post that suggests the option is only there if you have tracks on the phone that already have star ratings, which what the hell Apple. But I can mess with it later I guess.

It’s still there, but only shows if the song is in your library:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wonder how much it will cost after the 2 years, and if you'll be subscribed automatically. That should make some nice meltdowns in 2 years if it's automatic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way to allow Outlook mail notifications while I'm in my work focus, but not allow them when I'm in NO focus (anytime outside work hours). It seems I can only add apps to the allowed/block list if I'm actually IN a focus, rather than not being in any focus.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bobfather posted:

I just created a "Personal" focus that automatically turns on when my "Work" focus turns off. Then Outlook tracks the focus to enable its own Personal or Work mode. Does that get at what you want to do?

Yeah I guess it would 99%. It’s annoying seeing a focus icon at the top of the screen and on my watch screen all the time, but whatever I guess. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sweet, thanks!

Why in the world that setting isn’t under notifications blows my mind. I’ve never seen that alarm clock icon before.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 19, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Pay for iCloud storage and don't let Google Photos destroy all the great Live Photos you and your kid are going to take.

Huh? Live Photos back up perfectly fine from what I can tell? I’ve taken 11k pics/videos of my 3yo twins. Don’t tell me everything is ruined and my life is over!!!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Google uploads my pics in the background all the time when I’m on Wi-Fi and it doesn’t compress them either if you have it set to original quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I mean, at this point, why not just get a dumb prepaid flip phone and an iPod? Save yourself thousands of dollars in buying the phone and service on it.