Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

xzzy posted:

That just makes me sad that we never got a second Propellerheads album.
There’s Spiesandbeatsandrarities which I think is a bootleg album or something? But yeah I agree 🙁

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve got an SE 2 and my alarm wasn’t going off a couple of days recently

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mister Facetious posted:

2 naproxen + 2 melatonin. Works for me. v:geno:v
Pick ‘n mix from melatonin, glycine, and CBD gummies for me. Diphenhydramine if I’m having a really bad night and I just need to be unconscious for a while even if it won’t be restorative

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lordshmee posted:

I would give a great deal to be able to follow this command.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My mom and her husband just switched over to iPhone after always being on Android. Her husband is having an issue with an old LG bluetooth headset he uses. He needs it max volume for reasons, but iOS keeps automatically turning it down. Reduce loud volume is turned off in sound & haptics, headphone notifications is turned off, and he’s tried changing device type to everything in Bluetooth settings. No matter what, the phone automatically reduces volume. Is there any way to get around this?
Are you in Europe? There’s some EU directive about this that requires the phone to turn down the volume after a certain duration above a threshold:

(Settings > Sound & Haptics > Headphone Safety)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grumbles posted:

The iPhone 13 mini is excellent and the upgrades on the 14 are extremely marginal. The screen on the mini is around the same size as older plus sized phones like the 8 plus. It rules and is perfect.
Yeah I upgraded from a 2nd gen SE to a 13 mini the other day and it’s really nice. Thank gently caress they saw sense and went back to flat sides, the rounded edge phones were slippery like wet soap. Really hope they use this chassis for future SE models, the regular mainline iPhones are colossal now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rick posted:

Do you use the standard podcast app? You might want to check the settings and see how often it is doing background refreshes. It does them even if you turn them off because it's a very poorly designed app, but it will do them less often like this.
Oh, well that explains why Podcasts consistently uses more battery than any other app on my phone. Where can you see the frequency of background app refreshes? All I can find is a toggle to enable/disable them per app.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TBH that sounds more like you want one of those Hello Fresh / Blue Apron / etc services that home delivers ingredients and recipes

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Still waiting for the big reveal that camera warts are actually the result of a bet about the ugliest, stupidest feature they could get the rest of the industry to go along with

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Airplay sucks rear end as well. I try to send a podcast I’m playing to my HomePod and a good portion of the time it’ll gently caress up by restarting the episode from the beginning, or playing from my phone and the HomePod at the same time, or freezing up for an indeterminate amount of time, or who knows what else.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Neurophonic posted:

Tidal offers lossless and spatial content for the same monthly price as Apple Music (& Spotify) without the podcast crap, and pays the most to the artists of all of them.

The algorithm is as good as Spotify once it has enough data to work with, but there’s also a ton of great curated playlist content too. It’ll scrape your Last.fm to learn if you let it, and supports scrobbling natively to boot.

I don’t think you can tap on the track info, and find a link to every individual credited person’s profile with the others, either? If you like the sound of the beats in a pop star’s song, it’s easy to find more by the same producer right in the app.

They even turn a blind eye to logging in with a Python script and pulling DRMless FLACS from your playlists onto a laptop, since the desktop app can’t download files for offline playback yet.

I switched five years ago when I hit that arbitrary Spotify 10k liked songs limit & haven’t looked back. An app called SongShift migrated 97% of my playlists and likes from Spotify for $3 as well, so it was a painless process.
This is pretty interesting actually, I only ever heard of Tidal when Jay-Z bought it and assumed it was just some gimmick pet project. I assume Spotify is only going to keep pushing podcasts harder so I'm happy to have an exit strategy in mind.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bagmonkey posted:

Hello fellow iPhone users I have finally joined your ranks please send me your hottest protips like what's my best option for freeing my password vault from Google's deathgrips?
Pro tip: Even if you don't consider yourself disabled, take a look through the Accessibility settings. There's QoL stuff for everybody and some power user gems in there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sba posted:

If it matters, this person is the only one in my phone with custom ringtone settings and is also set to bypass all my Do Not Disturb and is my emergency contact.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I mean, it seems like it shouldn’t matter but first thing IMO would be to set all that stuff back to default (maybe delete their contact card and create a new one) to see if anything changes

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Remember when everyone thought the iPhone 5 was going to have a tapered design? They should actually do that, let the phone feel thinner at the bottom and fat enough to finally get rid of the grotesque camera wart situation at the top.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mik posted:

Sometimes when I'm on my Windows desktop I take a screenshot or something and want to iMessage it to someone. What I usually do is email it to myself then open the email on my iPhone and copy the image from there to a message. This seems ridiculously luddite, is there a better way? I tried using iCloud on Windows but it wasn't the kind of 'instant zap-from-desktop-to-phone' that I want. Can I mount a network drive on the iPhone?
Tailscale can do this too

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I thought we were getting periscopic lenses to do away with the stupid camera wart poo poo

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ManSedan posted:

I'm going to keep using my 13 Mini until it crumbles to dust in my hands. This is the perfect phone.
:emptyquote:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

Really. Well. There are multiple reasons to write a better Clock app already. Swift can’t be that hard. Is there some block by Apple which doesn’t allow apps to implement multiple timers or alarm clocks..?
There’s an Apple development thread that will probably instantly refute this but IIRC the way iOS handles background tasks makes custom alarm apps a colossal pain in the rear end

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sounds like a job for Keyword Search TBH.

E.g make a prefix ‘mx’ that points to https://www.google.com/search?q=@@@+site%3Amarxists.org

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If we’re bitching about notifications allow me to throw in a “gently caress you” to Uber, which regularly abuses push notifications to spam ads for Uber Eats at me. I don’t know why they’re allowed to get away with it (well, I have an idea) but I just delete the app after my trip on the rare occasions I have to use it now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

There's coating on the screen? How do I know if it's gone?
If the front seems like it picks up fingerprints less readily than the back it’s still there

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

wooger posted:

Pretty much no one uses sms or iMessage in the UK in 10+ years, WhatsApp has 100% market share, it’s basically required to take part in local sports or community groups, school parent groups and even a workplace emergency preparation plan.
Yeah most of my friends are on iOS and I don’t think I’ve ever been in a single group iMessage conversation, anything other than one-on-one is WhatsApp

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

The 1000 cycle thing is anecdotal.
When I worked at Apple (a long time ago now admittedly) the official policy was 80% max capacity after 1000 cycles (or maybe 800?) was expected / acceptable — worse than that (within warranty / AppleCare) == battery replacement, better == explain battery lifecycle to the customer

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Catte Portrait Mode

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s Siri. It’s designed to do stupid poo poo from time to time. It’s part of the charm.

I used “hey Siri, all lights off” last night (it’s a scene that… turns all lights in my house off), and it turned the kitchen off, but the hallway lights came on.
I have a HomePod mini I sometimes use for various alarms. I usually turn them off by saying “Siri be quiet” or “Siri shut up” and about half the time Siri will mishear me / get passive-aggressively petty about it and respond with “OK, media will play quieter / louder” 🙃

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

While I’m grousing about the HomePod, here’s a question: I sometimes also have a podcast playing on the HomePod when an alarm goes off. Is there any command that will silence the alarm but keep the podcast playing? I’ve tried saying “stop alarm”, tapping the top, everything I do stops the alarm and also the podcast.

Then when I say “resume podcast” it will start playing an episode I listened to a week ago or something

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Seiyal posted:

Stupid question time but does anyone have any good suggestions for Authenticator apps? I’ve been using Authy but ran into the lovely issue that my pin code isn’t working (and that’s required to basically everything except getting OTPs). Tried what I can think of but nope, no dice.
Ravio is very good. Also iOS has two-factor auth built into the Passwords settings thing so you can auto-fill on Safari but it’s a bit of a pain if you need to access it manually 🙁

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If I see somebody with an iPhone pro but a non-Ultra Apple Watch I know for sure they’re just a poser.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

FEWER taps :eng101:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I didn’t even know Reminders was getting a Kanban mode. Think I’ll finally be able to ditch all the third-party productivity tools I barely use anyway 🙃

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

Should I get the new iPhone
What new iPhone? Nothing’s been announced, we have no idea what they’re going to talk about at the event tomorrow :applesay:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SaturdayKnight posted:

Mini was always Mac for “missing features to hit a lower price” while the mini iPhone was “everything is the same but small” so the naming scheme never made sense. Still think it was a marketing/naming issue that killed the mini, not that people didn’t want it.
I’m sure it didn’t help that the SE2 came out like 4 months before the first Mini, and people had been waiting a while for a new SE at the time. I feel like the SE / Mini buying demographics overlap a lot (no I have no data this is all opinion directly from my rear end).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

ACTION BUTTON seems like reaching for Pro features, and it looks woefully limited
Seems extremely like how you used to be able to assign accessibility shortcuts to the home button (and TBH, still can for the side button and back tap)

E: which you mentioned in your post lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is the new shopping-specific list type busted for everyone? I’m adding random common shopping items (eggs, milk, pasta, etc) and it’s all just going under “Others”. Apparently it’s supposed to auto-categorise things?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn’t know this was a thing. I switched my grocery list from standard to groceries and it did automatically sort things. Are you using an iCloud reminders list? Might not work if it’s on a google or Microsoft account.
Yeah it's all iCloud and Apple-approved. Well, either it's busted because I'm in the UK or because it's a .0 release but it's still nice I can set up proper section headers now that aren't list items themselves.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m gonna make so many stickers of my cats
I only just found out you can make them sparkly! and puffy! and animated 🤩

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did they get rid of that lock screen where it’s the colored bubbles floating around? That’s what I had set so it kept it but I can’t make a new lock screen with that screensaver anymore.
Extremely Apple move to spend presumably a lot of developer time to create animated wallpapers, never release any new ones or allow people to create their own, and then quietly remove them years later.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I found the sparkle effects but how do I make them animated
Just use a Live Photo. The "New Sticker" preview should be animated as well.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sonatinas posted:

It started to work for me after a day of the typical new iOS indexing finished.
Oh hey yeah, same. I didn’t think it would need to do indexing before it worked but there we go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

Hell yeah works great lol

you better make a sparkly sticker of the dog with the headband so help me